Very fair and clear write up. I'm not a developer but really empathise about the improvements the z10 needs such as updating mail count correctly.

Let's hope bbry fix these issues and more - I want to see the company doing well.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 04:18 AM
    I didn't even think Momentics is supported for Mac OSX. Boot camp it brah
    It is, and I won't!
    03-11-13 04:51 AM
    I use the native DLNA on the Z10 for my wireless streaming. The "Play On" option in music/video/pics is seamless.

Posted via CB10
    What we need to see is more integration of DLNA down to the point of being able to use it to stream everything, including a "mirror" of the Z10 ... hopes and dreams ...
    03-11-13 05:36 AM
    Well worded, I hope to see you on blackberry in the near future with all of the features you need.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 07:43 AM
    very nice and balanced view...
    03-11-13 08:18 AM
    Thank you for your input.

I know that some people are very loyal to BB, and that's great, but they have to rein it in sometimes.

What do some of you think is going to keep developers open to the thought of creating for BB10 more? Lashing out at them when they offer their thoughts constructively and it's not all "Rah Rah BlackBerry"? Or showing them that the community appreciates their time taken?
    m1a1mg likes this.
    03-11-13 08:44 AM
    Very factual, unbiased and to the point thanks! Also in response to someone commenting about him dropping the Z10 because no one in his circle has one, that makes total sense, after all its all about communication and why keep a device that limits you in ways you can communicate with your circle?
    03-11-13 08:45 AM
    Thanks for sharing. Appreciate the insight.

(Nice to hear from a NewBay guy)
    anon(4314875) likes this.
    03-11-13 08:58 AM
    Regarding airplay as with all other apple ideas, the world isn't embracing it for a reason. So until the world does, HDMI is the way to go for now.
    Not sure Apple even wants that. As far as I've been able to tell, it only works on Apple devices. I do use it all the time but it's more a case of me owning two Apple TVs and no DLNA devices. And it is great when it works (though it does fail).

But think DLNA and HDMI will be used by more people.
    03-11-13 09:07 AM
    Very factual, unbiased and to the point thanks! Also in response to someone commenting about him dropping the Z10 because no one in his circle has one, that makes total sense, after all its all about communication and why keep a device that limits you in ways you can communicate with your circle?
    Exactly why I can't let go my N4... all those people I know is using Instagram, WhatsUp and Skype... BBM is useless in me at this moment...

Anyway, it's a honest well balanced observations...

Posted via Z10
    03-11-13 09:09 AM
    Yup great review. I'm an admitted Blackberry for lifer but I can appreciate and respect well thought our reviews and critiques such as this. I wish there were more of them like yours.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-11-13 09:17 AM
    It feels REALLY good to read the 99% positive back and forths in this thread. It IS possible to have an open discussion with virtually no flaming going on. I for one like the fact that 'an enemy of the state'... Jack918, put together a well laid out comparison and kept his opinions free from bashing. Furthermore, with exception to one, the replies were well in line with the topic and also free from bashing.

I think this is truly an example of how an open discussion can be played out. Good job CB Nation

Jack918, we'll bring you back from the darkside, give it time. BBRY is working on it!!
    PS, I think more than a few of us BB10 users would love to see what you can do with an app built for BB10, push that company of yours, get building for BBRY now.
    03-11-13 10:37 AM
    very fair criticism. I always hate it when people bandwagon-hate or bandwagon-love any product, even Apple/Microsoft stuff. I dislike iOS, but not because of its Apple logo or its "everyone loves it" rep - I always refer to specific software flaws (often intentional) and I am willing to acknowledge some of its merits, such as lack of fragmentation, build quality, and general smooth optimization. Likewise, I love Android, but not out of some bandwagon hate for the competition - I like it for its extreme level of user control and I fully admit it has its many flaws like lax app store rules and fragmentation, and these flaws are making a case for me to buy a BB10.

Glad to see you took the time to use and understand BB10 and present an unbiased opinion. If BB10 didn't work out for you, fair enough. And good to see that you like your iPhone for what it is, and not ridiculous social reasons!
    00stryder and Stewartj1 like this.
    03-11-13 10:58 AM
    I would like to chime in on the hdmi point. The big benefit of the hdmi output is the most hdtvs today have hdmi inputs, easily accessible, often on the side. With one inexpensive cable, which I carry on all my trips, I can use pretty much any screen to display something off my Z10. No need for pricey airplay, appletv accessories. Plus it allows full device screen mirroring, something the iphone, iPad1 & iPad2 can't do thru their wired outputs. Plus the apple stuff only works with other apple stuff.

So in my view, the hdmi output of the Z10 & the PlayBook is a super sweet feature.

Posted via CB10
    AngryEdmontonian likes this.
    03-11-13 11:11 AM
    I too was afraid this thread would lead to a flame war. Really good to see most CBers have embraced a more positive approach to posting, at least in this instance.

Is it just me or has the overall tone of post comments become more positive. Let's keep it up.

Posted via CB10
    semperfi45 likes this.
    03-11-13 11:14 AM
    Gotta say I love the maturity and level-headed discussion displayed.
    03-11-13 11:17 AM
    My exchange server is hosted by Microsoft Online Services, so you're good experience with ActiveSync has prompted me to check out the settings again and maybe open a support call with them.

They do support DNLA over wifi. I mentioned Airplay as an example, couldn't remember what the more "open" DNLA was called at the time. Its a great initial feature of BB10. If I was BlackBerry, I wouldn't have bothered to include the HDMI port and just pushed DNLA. Not a biggie, either way.
    I get why BB included the HDMI port. There is a generation of big-screen TV's and monitors out there (that won't get replaced soon) that don't support DLNA, so the HDMI out port is for supporting this legacy hardware base (and in the corporate world connecting the Z10 to LCD projectors that also don't have DNLA support.)
    03-11-13 11:18 AM
    Outstanding thread following from an outstanding opening post. Great to see a mature discussion around real issues, rather than mindless bile being spewed.

Well done all, but particularly well done to the OP, who is also clearly a successful developer already. The links posted to your picture app and the subsequent spin-off are fascinating.
    anon(4314875) likes this.
    03-11-13 12:03 PM
    I get why BB included the HDMI port. There is a generation of big-screen TV's and monitors out there (that won't get replaced soon) that don't support DLNA, so the HDMI out port is for supporting this legacy hardware base (and in the corporate world connecting the Z10 to LCD projectors that also don't have DNLA support.)
    Same here. My HDTV was purchased on 2005 and has none of these modern fancy features (****, it only has ONE hdmi port despite its 55" size ). DLNA would not be usable for me.

Wireless solutions aren't always the best, and this generation concern is another huge obstacle. Wireless also equals latency and potential signal dropouts. For such reasons, I still used wired ethernet on my computer, and I use my USB cable to transfer files between my phone and PC rather than some cloud solution.
    03-11-13 12:44 PM
    Nice write up! I appreciate your honest take on development for BB. As a new developer I don't know much about the other development environments, I have toyed with xcode, but didn't get very far with it. What are you doing with your Z10 in the mean time? Still using it to develop apps?
    turbodmac likes this.
    03-11-13 01:00 PM
    Very fair and clear write up. I'm not a developer but really empathise about the improvements the z10 needs such as updating mail count correctly.
    Strange... my Z10 is connected to both Google Apps and work email via EAS and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with unread mail counts being wrong, and they have always instantly updated read status as well. It's one of the few things I enjoy over my 9900.

In the end, I feel like the dev team on the Z10 is completely new (coming from iOS and Android) and there were few conversations between them and the OS7 teams. Major Blackberry features like Level 1 notifications and filters that made Blackberry users stay with BB are still left out.
    03-11-13 01:51 PM
    My carrier (Three Ireland), gives me unlimited calls, unlimited texts and unlimited data (15Gb/month fair use) for �20/month, with no contract.
    thats cheap, i Belgium u pay between 60-80 euro for unlimited calls, texts and data
    03-11-13 01:52 PM
    I too was afraid this thread would lead to a flame war. Really good to see most CBers have embraced a more positive approach to posting, at least in this instance.

Is it just me or has the overall tone of post comments become more positive. Let's keep it up.
    I think that the tone of the thread-starter/original poster has a huge impact on that.

People in general these days are typically so polarized that when someone comes out with a balanced review, it tends to stand out like a sore-thumb.
    03-11-13 02:05 PM
    Bravo OP.

THIS is how you make a mature thread folks.

I respect that BB isn't for him. Just as iOS isn't for me.

Thank you OP for your fair and balanced assessment.

Enjoy what ever device you prefer and be happy. I know I am ecstatic with my Z10.
    03-11-13 02:14 PM
    What are you doing with your Z10 in the mean time? Still using it to develop apps?
    Absolutely!
    03-11-13 03:05 PM
103 12345