Ran activesync for a few days while our IT guys got 10 up. As of this afternoon all is coming in from exchange via BES10. Will be interesting to see if battery life changes at all.

Process to get on BES10 was a bit different than past process but seems to be smooth and working now. Balance caused me a bit of a freak out thinking that I now had to have two separate worlds but it is pretty seamless. I asked the RIM support guy that was working with us if we could just turn off Balance (we have never been a company that cranks down policy) and he didn't think there was. Its not something you even need to see once it is installed that way however.
    SDTRMG and NewLogik like this.
    02-19-13 04:28 PM
    You can disable balance it's in the policy
    02-19-13 05:36 PM
    Good to know. There is another thread here about BES10, might want to post there and mention you're online with it, some people were waiting to hear from the first ones..
    SDTRMG and rgarde like this.
    02-19-13 06:03 PM
    still restricted to 30 days of mail history currently. Admin set me to unlimited but the device only has 30 days. Option on settings is greyed out at 30.

We can not find anywhere to turn off Balance in the policies and security etc. MattUK do you know where to find such?
    02-20-13 07:41 AM
    Ran activesync for a few days while our IT guys got 10 up. As of this afternoon all is coming in from exchange via BES10. Will be interesting to see if battery life changes at all.

Process to get on BES10 was a bit different than past process but seems to be smooth and working now. Balance caused me a bit of a freak out thinking that I now had to have two separate worlds but it is pretty seamless. I asked the RIM support guy that was working with us if we could just turn off Balance (we have never been a company that cranks down policy) and he didn't think there was. Its not something you even need to see once it is installed that way however.
    Please keep us update on battery life while using BES 10.
    02-20-13 08:05 AM
    Can't say I am seeing any difference in life so far. I came off charge at 6:00 am and its now 2:00 pm and I am at 40%. Relatively light usage. No LTE but with BT and Wifi on full time. Glad I bought the battery bundle.
    02-20-13 01:06 PM
    From what I've heard BB10 may at present not have a EAS syncable range over 30 days, but you should be able to search for older messages beyond the 30-day limit.
    02-20-13 11:30 PM
    From what I've heard BB10 may at present not have a EAS syncable range over 30 days, but you should be able to search for older messages beyond the 30-day limit.
    I just looked and it dropped the 31st day off the inbox...so although the BES is set to unlimited I can still only see 30 days. Has to change!
    02-21-13 06:04 AM
    I already tried that - if you specifically know where, please let us know.
    @ the OP...BES10 runs Activesync. There will not be any difference in battery life - been there done that.
    02-21-13 06:13 AM
    Hello cwoodffr,

I will be in the same situation as you : starting with ActiveSync and next BES10 (hopefully).

Was the transition smooth ? The fear I have is to get dupplicated contacts due to the first synchronisation with ActiveSync and the second activation (for the same thing in a way) with BES 10. As I have 2,000+ contacts, I would prefer to avoid to have all of them dupplicated

Also, something that you may monitor is data usage. Reading BB documents, it is stated that everything that you do on your "Work" area is compressed and everything that you do on your "Personal" area is not. This may be interesting for your emails, attachments, etc...

Have you do a complete wipe before switching to BES10 ?
    02-21-13 06:20 AM
    I just looked and it dropped the 31st day off the inbox...so although the BES is set to unlimited I can still only see 30 days. Has to change!
    Hi, thanks a lot for mentioning this problem. This is a major issue for some of our old style Blackberry users, they will not accept it. Can you at least search for emails older than the 30 days without problems?
    02-21-13 06:26 AM
    Hello cwoodffr,

I will be in the same situation as you : starting with ActiveSync and next BES10 (hopefully).

Was the transition smooth ? The fear I have is to get dupplicated contacts due to the first synchronisation with ActiveSync and the second activation (for the same thing in a way) with BES 10. As I have 2,000+ contacts, I would prefer to avoid to have all of them dupplicated

Also, something that you may monitor is data usage. Reading BB documents, it is stated that everything that you do on your "Work" area is compressed and everything that you do on your "Personal" area is not. This may be interesting for your emails, attachments, etc...

Have you do a complete wipe before switching to BES10 ?
    Smooth as can be. No dupes....and no I didn't wipe or do anything ahead of it.. Just held my breath and remembered the miracle of the old BES and how it would bring a fresh device to exactly how your past one was. That setting level stuff is now gone but it gave me confidence it would all be ok. Tthe balance thing is not even seen unless you swipe down (no bezel). Kind of a cool stunt to show someone the "second blackberry" you are carrying around....because the wallpaper etc is different.

No idea on data...I don't see my bills. I think we can all expect that we are now in the zone of iphones and Android devices with respect to data consumption.
    02-21-13 06:54 AM
    Hi, thanks a lot for mentioning this problem. This is a major issue for some of our old style Blackberry users, they will not accept it. Can you at least search for emails older than the 30 days without problems?
    Search now shows "remote search" as an option. It does look back further than 30 days it seems but farthest it seems to be going right now is around Christmas.. If I search items that are back in november using a term that is unique....doesn't come up with it. Very limiting as I have used search for years to find things from months ago.
    02-21-13 07:01 AM
    Are you sure? I've looked through our install and can't find an option. I also don't see one listed in their docs: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...readsheet.xlsx
    02-21-13 09:05 AM
    If there is a significant demand for that I'd imagine it would be an easy setting to add.

Curious though: what kind of history did you or your colleagues use to keep on their legacy BBOS BES-connected handheld devices? Keeping vast amounts of history has to take up tons of space on the device and bog it down at some point, I would think.

I was reading a document the other day written by the IT staff at a school system that uses iPhones connected via EAS, and in regards to the similiar setting on the iPhone (Parameter "Number of days to sync", Setting "No Limit") they stated it works well............. as long as you only have 100 messages in your inbox.
    02-21-13 02:09 PM
    I would regularly over the past 10 years keep at least 4-5 months of email (and I get many many per day) When I would notice some lagging I would kill a month or two of the oldest with "delete previous" command.

I see people deleting every email they have received...including my wife and she treats it like an inbox that needs to be cleared....my perspective is to carry as much as you possibly can...I am constantly searching for past stuff.
    02-22-13 09:11 AM
    Android Outlook.com app has the same 30-day limit. (it works on Playbook/BB10 as well)
    03-28-13 03:26 PM
    Is your corporate email in your main hub alongside your personal emails and texts, etc? Or does the corporate email stay in the hub in the "balance" side of the phone and you have to swipe down to the balance side to view your corporate emails?

Our guy said that we would hopefully be ready next week (we are having issues with lotus notes / traveler product) and a Blackberry rep is supposedly coming to our office on Monday to make sure we have our ducks in a row.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on the performance and any other items you notice that might be noteworthy.
    meierjn likes this.
    03-28-13 03:36 PM
    Is your corporate email in your main hub alongside your personal emails and texts, etc? Or does the corporate email stay in the hub in the "balance" side of the phone and you have to swipe down to the balance side to view your corporate emails?

Our guy said that we would hopefully be ready next week (we are having issues with lotus notes / traveler product) and a Blackberry rep is supposedly coming to our office on Monday to make sure we have our ducks in a row.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on the performance and any other items you notice that might be noteworthy.
    When BlackBerry Bakance is enabled there is an option to provide a unified inbox (personal and work) or two segregated views. In either situation both personal and work email is accessible from the Personal partition and the Work partition. If you choose segregated views you will enter the BlackBerry Balance password to access work email when it times out. These settings are on the BES not the smartphone, but once BlackBerry Balance is enabled there is a new 'BlackBerry Balance' group under Settings and a few new options under Settings -> Security.
    03-28-13 04:26 PM