I've been using Nobex for radio for a few months. I was very pleased with the app - until now. I am having a major problem with it.

I received a message from Koodo yesterday that my bandwidth (1GB/month) was 75% used. Impossible, I said to myself, since I use my phone 99% of the time from home and use my wifi - not mobile data - for everything. Nobex has a Network setting to "prompt" to use the mobile network if the wifi is not available. I have only seen this dialog twice and have never chosen to allow it. Yet, it seems that during the night, when I am in bedside mode, listening to music via Bluetooth on my Flip, without so much as a prompt, it just goes ahead and uses mobile data instead of my wifi. I wrote to Nobex to inform them of this problem, but got a typical customer service reply from them that didn't address what I told them and treated me like I have an IQ of 30.

So I changed the settings in Nobex yesterday to "NO - NEVER use the mobile network" just to make extra sure that it wouldn't use mobile data instead of wifi. But it still did!

Tonight I just received a 90% email from Koodo! I went to view the usage, and the freakin' app did it again today - during the day this time.

I am really fed up. Not sure if this is a BB10, Z10, or Nobex problem, but there's no way this app should be using the mobile network. The usage pattern is very clear. All night long I am listening to music. Teh majority of the time, it is streaming over wifi. But for certain periods of time - at one hour intervals, for a few hours - the app shifts from wifi to mobile network - all on its own!

What do I have to do? Keep my Mobile Network data services turned off all the time? Obviously, that won't work for me.

Suggestions? I could simply stop using Nobex, but don't want to (unless another app can give me the same stations?). I am not sure if this is a Z10/BB10 issue or a Nobex issue. Perhaps something to do with Bluetooth being enabled?

F'n ridiculous. In two days I have blown my entire month's bandwidth.
    12-12-13 11:14 PM
    You never mentioned what OS you're on. With that in mind, are you using a leaked and potentially buggy OS?
    12-12-13 11:32 PM
    You never mentioned what OS you're on. With that in mind, are you using a leaked and potentially buggy OS?
    Sorry about that.
    10.2.0.1803. No leak.

This is very strange and of all the things that could go wrong, this is a serious one.
    I've turned off data services for the time being.

I'm not concerned about an extra $5 or $10 for data for his month, but if I can't trust that the app/phone will use wifi and not mobile data - especially when I set mobile data to NO - then what's the point? I like to listen to music throughout the night.

I paid for Nobex premium, but perhaps I'll try another app. Very disappointed at the incredibly dumb response from their "customer support".

When I go to view my usage info on Koodo's website, you can see the following. Very lwo data usage for most of the hours that I'm sleeping, and then all of a sudden about 60MB per hour for 3 or 4 hours in a row, then followed by very low usage again. Throughout that time, I am asleep! lol.

So obviously the app is detecting a delay or lag on the wifi (which happens now and then on all wifi) and switches to mobile data, even though I have it explicitly set to NOT use mobile data. POS.
    12-13-13 12:14 AM
    I just tried telling Noblex to use neither network. I hit a podcast subscription and the streaming worked just fine. Thus those settings are useless. Needless to say, Noblex is getting uninstalled. The program can't be trusted.

If you don't have too many stations, I'm willing to find direct URLs to the stream. I have a Logitech squeezebox and it has lots of urls in its database.

Or you can find the stream URLs using tips from this page

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Internet_radio

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 01:39 AM
    Unreal.
    I could understand if it used the mobile network instead of wifi if wifi was truly unavailable, but in my case it's streaming for hours off of wifi, and then for whatever reason switches to mobile network without any warning or notification. Absolutely ridiculous.

I've turned data off for the time being in my z10 settings. Hope that setting is reliable.

As for just using the urls, as I posted on another thread, there's a problem with bluetooth audio via browser. When the screen blanks it also cuts the audio. Will test this again to see if it's still a problem.
    12-13-13 03:36 AM
    I just tried telling Noblex to use neither network.
    Ehhh - how did you do this?

As far as I know the Nobex BB10 app only have options to disable use of the cellular network... but have option for streaming- and for downloading (podcasts etc)..

That being said - using a smartphone in 2013 does use data. I wouldn't bash device manufactures, OS or developers for this. It is the carriers who needs to adjust their business for 2013, instead of being stuck in time.
    We should not have to think about data amount at all...

But in BB10, you can easily Close apps that you don't want open, You can easily disable Data from your network ... so until the carriers wake up- you can still deal with it manually.. (but don't forget to tell your carriers how angry it makes you to not have access to enough data for the price you are willing to pay)

On a personal note- I have a NFC tag on my door- so when I leave the house, I disable WiFi, Enable Data on the cellular net and enable 3/4G. When I get home, swiping NFC tag switches OFF Data from the cellnet, ON Wifi, and switches radio to 2G only. Saves battery - but also saves frustrations...
    12-13-13 10:15 AM
    Dang, that's a pretty bad defect for an app to have!

Thankfully I've only installed/used it on my Playbook which doesn't have mobile data capability. I installed it to my phone but haven't used it yet and now I think I'll just delete it from my phone, lol
    12-13-13 03:11 PM
    If I turn off streaming over cellular, it doesn't stream and I get the following message on my Q10

NOBEX Blowing My Mobile Data Bandwidth!!!-img_00001381.png
    12-13-13 03:19 PM
    Ehhh - how did you do this?

As far as I know the Nobex BB10 app only have options to disable use of the cellular network... but have option for streaming- and for downloading (podcasts etc)..

That being said - using a smartphone in 2013 does use data. I wouldn't bash device manufactures, OS or developers for this. It is the carriers who needs to adjust their business for 2013, instead of being stuck in time.
    We should not have to think about data amount at all...

But in BB10, you can easily Close apps that you don't want open, You can easily disable Data from your network ... so until the carriers wake up- you can still deal with it manually.. (but don't forget to tell your carriers how angry it makes you to not have access to enough data for the price you are willing to pay)

On a personal note- I have a NFC tag on my door- so when I leave the house, I disable WiFi, Enable Data on the cellular net and enable 3/4G. When I get home, swiping NFC tag switches OFF Data from the cellnet, ON Wifi, and switches radio to 2G only. Saves battery - but also saves frustrations...
    I'm not sure what the other poster's situation is, and who you were addressing (if anyone in particular), but as far as MY issue goes - your post is way off.

"Smartphones use data in 2013"? Who knew?. lol. This has nothing to do with the problem.

Nobex gives the user two options for Network: 1) "Stream via Mobile Network", and 2) "Download via Mobile Network".
    Both options have three possibilities. 1) Yes - always use the mobile network, 2) Prompt - ask whether to use the mobile network, 3) No - never use the mobile network. Both of my settings were initially set to "Prompt".

In one case, I did see a Prompt dialog, answered NO (i.e. to not use the mobile network), and now I know that it still used the mobile network! In a number of other cases, the app went ahead without prompting and just switched to mobile network from wifi. Finally, even when setting both of the network options to "No - never use the mobile network", the app *STILL* used the mobile network, having switched from wifi to mobile network for many consecutive hours and then back to wifi again - in some cases while I was sleeping.

I don't see anyone "bashing", but there is no question that something is wrong with the app, and the developers certainly should be called out and made aware (which I have done by emailing them) for this critical bug. I paid for this app (premium). I expect it to work. Now it's going to cost me an additional $10 for the month of December for data fees, and I will have to turn off data whenever I use the app. OR switch to another app. (I've tried a few others, but they don't do podcasts and other things as well as Nobex).

I'm just glad that I have an email warning setup with my carrier for bandwidth level, otherwise I would never have known what was going on, and could have received a nasty bill in January.
    Last edited by slickvguy; 12-13-13 at 10:01 PM. Reason: MAde a mistake int eh description fo the Network setting options
    12-13-13 04:06 PM
    Interesting
    12-13-13 04:20 PM
    It's incredible that for the first time ever I got the same message that my data was over just after installing this app... [message in Spanish from my phone company]

NOBEX Blowing My Mobile Data Bandwidth!!!-img_00000752.png

BBM channel: C0040FF4D..... Proudly Z10 owner...
    12-13-13 05:01 PM
    I think there may be something wrong with your phone or installation of nobex. I have it to prompt to tell me if I'm on mobile data and did some tests and it works as it should. Here is the screen it gives me. I'm on 10.2 official

NOBEX Blowing My Mobile Data Bandwidth!!!-img_00001037.png
    12-21-13 08:56 AM
    I've been using Nobex for radio for a few months. I was very pleased with the app - until now. I am having a major problem with it.

I received a message from Koodo yesterday that my bandwidth (1GB/month) was 75% used. Impossible, I said to myself, since I use my phone 99% of the time from home and use my wifi - not mobile data - for everything. Nobex has a Network setting to "prompt" to use the mobile network if the wifi is not available. I have only seen this dialog twice and have never chosen to allow it. Yet, it seems that during the night, when I am in bedside mode, listening to music via Bluetooth on my Flip, without so much as a prompt, it just goes ahead and uses mobile data instead of my wifi. I wrote to Nobex to inform them of this problem, but got a typical customer service reply from them that didn't address what I told them and treated me like I have an IQ of 30.

So I changed the settings in Nobex yesterday to "NO - NEVER use the mobile network" just to make extra sure that it wouldn't use mobile data instead of wifi. But it still did!

Tonight I just received a 90% email from Koodo! I went to view the usage, and the freakin' app did it again today - during the day this time.

I am really fed up. Not sure if this is a BB10, Z10, or Nobex problem, but there's no way this app should be using the mobile network. The usage pattern is very clear. All night long I am listening to music. Teh majority of the time, it is streaming over wifi. But for certain periods of time - at one hour intervals, for a few hours - the app shifts from wifi to mobile network - all on its own!

What do I have to do? Keep my Mobile Network data services turned off all the time? Obviously, that won't work for me.

Suggestions? I could simply stop using Nobex, but don't want to (unless another app can give me the same stations?). I am not sure if this is a Z10/BB10 issue or a Nobex issue. Perhaps something to do with Bluetooth being enabled?

F'n ridiculous. In two days I have blown my entire month's bandwidth.
    I had a similar issue once and ATT advised me to go to settings-network connections-mobile network and untick data services whenever you plan to use wi-fi for an extended period as such. Customer service explained to me that some of the apps are funny like that where they automatically switch from wi-fi to your data service unknowingly thereby causing a conflict like you're experiencing. Apparently there is no fail safe option other than this for now.

Z10 on 10.2.0.1047

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 03:44 PM
    No warning on 10.1, so it could be an issue with the OS.

Some people are getting 10.2 on AT&T, so maybe they can report a change. I'm on Tmob.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 05:44 PM
    I had a similar issue once and ATT advised me to go to settings-network connections-mobile network and untick data services whenever you plan to use wi-fi for an extended period as such. Customer service explained to me that some of the apps are funny like that where they automatically switch from wi-fi to your data service unknowingly thereby causing a conflict like you're experiencing. Apparently there is no fail safe option other than this for now.

Z10 on 10.2.0.1047

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I believe you are correct. That's what was happening. I have had to turn data services off, which is annoying (having to keep turning it off and on).

Either it is the app or it is the os. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the os. There are a number of issues with bluetooth and audio. For example, audio cutting off streams from browser when display blanks and phone ringing on speaker even with all notifications off or in bedside mode.

I'll test more when January comes and I have my full month's bandwidth limit again.
    12-22-13 08:08 AM
    I have the same problem, I have the download to Wi-Fi only but it continues to download using my cell data to the point I loose my 1gb allowance after a couple of days. Is there a fix available for this?
    10-12-14 06:32 AM
    How on earth did you make that NFC tag? That sound like great work-around!
    10-12-14 06:38 AM