All I want is to set the POP interval at 5 minutes

Here is a $2 app that will not only let you set your POP down to every 60 seconds if you want, but does other useful things too:

http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...-calls-781778/
    paulinVA likes this.
    03-24-13 08:00 AM
    Z10 supports push email, period.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-24-13 08:14 AM
    I can't really comment much about the speed of delivery now 'cause I am still under contract and will need 3 more months before I can renew and get hold of BBZ10. If there's not much difference , then this article is causing unnecessary alarm and deter potential customers of BB Z10...
    Sending an email to my Z10 and having my wife cc'd in on her 9900, she receives the message literally 1-2 seconds before I do. Same goes for BBM messages.
    03-24-13 08:21 AM
    Sending an email to my Z10 and having my wife cc'd in on her 9900, she receives the message literally 1-2 seconds before I do. Same goes for BBM messages.
    Earth shattering differential! Call in the investigators.
    03-24-13 08:28 AM
    I honestly can't tell the difference BIS and without. It's faster to get emails on my phone than on my desktop.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 08:39 AM
    Here is a $2 app that will not only let you set your POP down to every 60 seconds if you want, but does other useful things too:

http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...-calls-781778/
    HEY! I already have that!

Thanks.
    03-24-13 08:54 AM
    Don't really understand the whole push mail thing. Xoes this just mean you get the e.ail immediately? In any case, for me, my yahoo was horrible on z10. Tried many fixes and re-installs, no help. Finally just got gmail account and everything great. Emails are sent and received immediately. Problem solved.....for me @ least.
    03-24-13 10:02 AM
    Ok let's get this straight once and for all:

I'm from Singapore and the BIG DEAL is the unlimited international roaming I get with BIS. Without BIS, I will have to pay $20/mb to Singtel when I'm overseas and I'm a frequent traveller. That means it could come up to THOUSANDS of dollars in roaming charges with no BIS. It's because of this that I've been using Blackberry for the past 10 years without even considering other smart phones over the years.

So if Blackberry decides to kill off this group of users who have been using their devices for the past decade, it's their business decision. But one thing is for sure - if there is no BIS and no international roaming savings, then I will have the option of choosing other smart phones like IOS or android. And if I were to do an apple to apple comparison between Z10 vs Iphone or S3, Z10 loses it hands down in terms of features, apps and phone functions etc.

So tell me - why should I continue to use a blackberry? Convince me please.
    03-24-13 10:11 AM
    Push is supported by z10 / BB10, if push is supported by the email provider.

My work email comes in my z10 (exchange active sync) before it reaches my laptop...
    This article I think is messing around speculation and half informed steps (no BIS) without the article author really understanding what that means or how it will work.

I think it is too much noise out of nothing and clearly misleading (intentionally or unintentionally, that I don't know nor mind).

BB10 has some other issues to be worked out and soon but not the ones mentioned in the article.
    I absolutely love my Z10 (except the time the Mrss abducts it to play on... who would have told me, that my blackberry would get sniched so that she could play on it...
    03-24-13 10:14 AM
    Don't really understand the whole push mail thing. Xoes this just mean you get the e.ail immediately? In any case, for me, my yahoo was horrible on z10. Tried many fixes and re-installs, no help. Finally just got gmail account and everything great. Emails are sent and received immediately. Problem solved.....for me @ least.
    The Yahoo thing is a known issue, please see the following (posted in post #88 in this thread) for details on that:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yncing-777774/

I'm from Singapore and the BIG DEAL is the unlimited international roaming I get with BIS. Without BIS, I will have to pay $20/mb to Singtel when I'm overseas and I'm a frequent traveller. That means it could come up to THOUSANDS of dollars in roaming charges with no BIS. It's because of this that I've been using Blackberry for the past 10 years without even considering other smart phones over the years.

So if Blackberry decides to kill off this group of users who have been using their devices for the past decade, it's their business decision. But one thing is for sure - if there is no BIS and no international roaming savings, then I will have the option of choosing other smart phones like IOS or android. And if I were to do an apple to apple comparison between Z10 vs Iphone or S3, Z10 loses it hands down in terms of features, apps and phone functions etc.

There are a lot of people that don't share your contention that the product's only valuable feature was the BIS roaming aspect. Awfully simplistic view of things to put it lightly.

It needs to be said that your carrier charges are not the doing of Blackberry. The market has changed, the carrier's attitudes have changed, the amount of data that customers transmit has changed. We are not living in 2004 any more. BIS is no longer adequate to keep up with the requirements of modern media consumption. See my previous posts here, starting at post #88, for the reasons.
    currentodysseys and wolf_359 like this.
    03-24-13 10:21 AM
    im not sure what you are talking about because , i get my emails instantly like i did on my bold 9700.
    you just go to the hub and you can see instantly when an email comes in.
    03-24-13 10:52 AM
    Ok let's get this straight once and for all:

Well, no need to convince you, since you seem to already perceive that the only reason to have a bb is because you win by the BIS international roaming spec, which is as commented above, a decision of your carrier (they still could give you international roaming free of charge if they would like to no?).

So the first thing that for me you should have to keep in mind is that you blame on BB something that is on the carriers as Omnitech points out. Secondly, BB, for the time being and as long as the carriers let them, they will support BIS for the earlier versions BBOSs... so BB does give you the possibility to still have this feature if this is what you most appreciate in your phone. You just cannot do that with a BB10 device.

If International roaming is not your number one appreciated feature and need, then obviously there is no point in getting so annoyed i guess. None of the rest of mobile companies and OS have such arrangement (or had) with the carriers, so as to provide free roaming. So I would be happy that BB had saved me thousands of dolars in the past and still can keep doing so, if I chose to remain with a pre BB10 bb phone (7 or 6OS).

As to your comparison with apple and Android, this depends on which is each one's cup of tea. The forum is full of threads giving you clear views on how the BB10 can serve the user and its strong and weak points as well as speed and quality of updates and OS improvement and stability. Thus you would have to compare the options as far as you had the real hard facts, ensuring you get to choose what would best serve your needs. Z10 loosing in terms of features and phone functions, I would say it to be a very general and unsupported statement (I find it not to be true actually - look at the forum threads). As per Apps... well in terms of less than a month, bb went from 70.000 to 100.000 apps in appworld and the big names apps (Whatsapp, skype, etc) are either here or coming really soon. So yeah this is an area that BB battles right now. I would propose you look what apps you use or might need and check if they are there. Since you are a current BIS user, be assured that your z10 will do much more for you than your old bb and that the apps available are more and better in UI and possibilities and they are increasing by the thousands. Maybe in your case that is not such a big issue. Again I think the personalised needs approach is best when apps concern you i.e see if what you need to use is there on BB10 or shortly on the way.

I the apps issue, the android ported apps in bb world give you additional options and soon the android "emulator" will be updated on bb10 to support the newest apps. So I think you get even more, since you will have both android and BB native apps on your phone. In the long run I find this to be where things are heading towards.

If BB10 really is NOT for you, then do not get it. I was on BIS before and loosing it now, but I honestly see much more usability for me on BB10 that I saw on my Torch. So I think it is in my benefit that I have changed. It suffices to say that the z10, not only assists me greately when I do not have my laptop with me (something my torch could not do to the same extent -except emailing and I used my PB as complementary device-, even though I was super happy with it), but on top the Z10 makes me use my laptop less even when I have my laptop with me.

Basically all my email and comunication, meetings and basic docs functions I now do on my Z10.

I miss things from BIS too, but the world keeps on moving (lol as the bb slogan goes) and BB as well. Some things cannot be kept or last for ever, BIS is one of them (since the carriers will not prefer to keep this going either). In total I find my experience with the z10 after about 5 weeks, to be way superior to that of bbOS6 and I prefer it to android or iphone. It is all personal preference, but seriously, may not be your cup of tea but it is a darn good high quality and enjoyable tea, that I promise you.
    Omnitech, Simon Ng and krondor like this.
    03-24-13 10:54 AM
    really?????????only 15 minutes is the minimum ? That is not acceptable!!!!
    Maybe it's just me, but as a long time IT professional, I would never use POP email as a corporate solution. There are plenty of ways to get into a push email scenario for cheap, and POP mail would not be a viable solution in any organization of mine.
    agp101 and SMocek like this.
    03-24-13 11:10 AM
    Maybe it's just me, but as a long time IT professional, I would never use POP email as a corporate solution. There are plenty of ways to get into a push email scenario for cheap, and POP mail would not be a viable solution in any organization of mine.
    On a honest intent to be further informed, I would please ask you to let me know why you would take that position, I am really interested to understand the cons and pros of such scenario on educational terms. If it does not suppose too much time or a hassle for you though.
    Much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    03-24-13 11:26 AM

BlackBerry is not killing off BIS. If you live in a place where data is too expensive, stick with the BB7 devices. I have a one year old 9860 which I loved and would highly recommend it. BlackBerry has committed to keeping the BIS system in place for BB7 and older devices.

I've been to Singapore numerous times over the years, both for business and holidays. I can use my Z10 there almost everywhere with wifi alone. Even HCMC has wifi widely available. Same with KL, HK, and Shanghai. Some if you have a Z10, you can still get data coverage almost everywhere you go, your office, hotel, airport, coffee shop, etc. SingTel offers roaming data plans for mobile phones. You are only hit with $20 per MB if you don't sign up for one of those. Yes, the Z10 doesn't qualify for the SingTel BIS roaming plan. But remember, BIS was designed for a time when mobile data was slow and expensive. More and more parts of the world are getting fast mobile coverage and BIS isn't really needed for these new, more high powered devices.

For goodness sake, I went to Mexico last month and didn't buy a roaming pack for my phone. I just used wifi and was pretty much covered everywhere, including on the beach.

If you want to keep on the SingTel international BIS roaming plan, try the BB7 9860.

If you want a more modern phone, the Z10 runs rings round the competition. I just maxed out my plan with Bell Canada for $95 a month and am quite a happy camper. My old phone bills are averaging $100 per month anyway so this actually works out better for me.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech and Simon Ng like this.
    03-24-13 11:28 AM
    I'm moving from an iPhone to the z10 and I'm finding no issues. Have noticed a couple times email will come through on my playbook before the z10. But I always get them... remember when we use to have to turn on a computer then go to which ever site you used/outlook to view anything. then your likely to get a virus.. quite happy with it all in all. even if they are ~30 seconds late...

Posted via CB10
    U have no issues because my friend you are coming from an iPhone... Not much merit there
    03-24-13 11:55 AM
    If this "push email" is that important, than why is BB's market share going down in previous years? The majority of consumers obviously don't care much for "push email", otherwise they wouldn't have left BB for other platforms in the first place.

Having said that, BB10 does support push - there's even an option for it in settings. I, personally, haven't noticed much difference with or without BIS.
    Simon Ng likes this.
    03-24-13 01:35 PM
    It's actually kinda funny if you look at it sort of impartially.
    When the 9900 was the flagship, people here were talking about how you should choose a 9900 over the competition for 'true push email' and 'world class data compression'
    Right until the launch where BIS was unceremoniously dumped.

Now suddenly it's 'BIS was holding BlackBerry back' and 'Grow up, we don't need it'
    The blindness is almost on Apple levels, and if the same thing happened to Apple and Apple users CrackBerry and it's users would be all over them.

Also, when the BIS infrastructure is up, anyone who thinks BB are choosing to do away with it, probably hasn't considered all the possibilities.
    They couldn't get BBM on the PlayBook in 2 years.
    Something tells me that they couldn't get QNX to play nice with the NOC and that's the only reason it's been dropped, otherwise it would have at least remained as a paid option.
    No one chooses to just drop a system that they're famous for, that's still making them money.
    03-24-13 01:36 PM
    I'm curious,
    1. BB will continue to support the current BIS infrastructure, (for older devices?)
    2. If you already have the BIS plan and keep it then you are OK with the service providers.

But, the Z10 probably does not have the service books needed to actually associate email with the BB servers, so it implies that the issue is really with BB and not with your service providers?
    As far as I have read from forums and CB post, if I would to cut my sim card to insert it to BBZ10, it should work as per normal. But once I reached the end of my contract, should I continue to stay on BIS so that I can utilize unlimited data plan? I am not even sure if service provider know I use BB Z10 and therefore require me to use new Data Plans like any other Smartphones...

And yes, if I still keep to my BB9900, I believe they will continue to provide BIS till I terminate it.
    03-24-13 01:50 PM
    I guess, then the one and only reason they had a bb to begin with was BIS and for no other feature of the phone. In that case they could just stay with the older ones which doesn't help the new ones sell.
    That was my concern when this article was published, giving the readers the impression to stay away from BB 10 devices which is detrimental to Z10 sales. Causing headache to PR Team in BlackBerry Singapore.
    03-24-13 01:53 PM
    I been using the Z10 for the past 1 week (no contract) and use it to replace my 9900. I brought my Z10 to Indonesia and when my colleague send an email me across the table, I received it instantly. So I think without BIS, the email would still function perfectly. I was able to synch with my google contact instantly after the set up but Calendar takes a few tries. The biggest problem is the international roaming charge. With Blackberry service, we pay S$72 for unlimited data even when we travel internationally but must log on with the Alliance Bridge service provider to get the free data service. The new Z10 does not tag the Blackberry Service and hence all the data roaming when I was in Indonesia is charge on international roaming charges. The bill was like S$2000 for 2 days... Luckly Singtel waive the international roaming charges as long as I buy the S$15 international unlimited roaming service. This is the different. I used to pay S$72 for unlimited international roaming for my emailn, BBM, and other BB services. But now I must pay about $400 a month ($15/day for SEA, $20 for China, and S$30 for UK and USA). As I travel on weekday, I must apply the international unlimited roaming on MANUAL basis before I go.. very inconvinience.
    Valuable sharing... thanks mate! It is a pity that our telco (mine is Starhub) is cutting or restricting umlimited data roaming at a cheaper rate like how we use to with older BB devices... and that's not cool!
    03-24-13 02:00 PM
    I'm not too sure what the writer is taking about, the Z10 does have push capabilities.
    I'm running 3 emails and all receive my email instantly.
    under the advanced settings of the individual email account you'll find the push option.
    Attachment 143272Proudly posted via Z10 on CB10
    Thanks for your picture! This is evidence that demands a verdict!! I post this to Straits Time Page!
    03-24-13 02:09 PM
    And BIS has a HARD LIMIT on attachment size - 6MB. Have you looked at the size of digital image files these days? ONE single JPEG file from a Nikon D5200 is larger than BIS can handle. That's a huge problem. Here's some more:
    I thought it was upped to 9mb with OS7.
    03-24-13 02:15 PM
    I thought it was upped to 9mb with OS7.
    You're correct, but only for BB7 devices.
    03-24-13 02:16 PM
    I'm confused.

Is it illegal in Singapore for an email provider to use IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync in their email service?

If not, why are all these people pronouncing "pushmail" as if the ONLY kind of "pushmail" is the old BIS system using a 25-year old POP3 email architecture? IMAP and EAS are much better systems, and are FASTER than BIS combined with POP!

It's almost impossible to find an email server today that supports POP but not IMAP. (I mean the actual server software itself, I do not mean the service provider of an email service.)

Which is why I'm wondering if it's against the law to have a non-POP email server in Singapore.
    Nope, there is no such law in Singapore against IMAP or EAS...
    03-24-13 02:39 PM
193 ... 34567 ...