Hey,

I am really diasppointed. I'm from the Netherlands and paid a premium to get a factory unlocked phone from the UK. It arrived this week - and its awesome! Until I discovered I have no mobile internet! So I was looking for the APN settings, just in case they didnt auto configure (usually it does this, eg. on an iPhone, never had to set anything manually there). Only to find them greyed out! So I cannot provide the settings of my telco and left without internet! I read in several forums that there is no workaround, is this really true? Please someone tell me a trick to get internet enabled ..

Now I have that 700 thing lying here being useless .. And I really did discover so many great things about this new phone (after being absent and off to an iphone for 1,5 years ...)

Adding to this the carrier dependent os updates .. I have an unlocked!!! phone and sim only contract, how can they lock me out? I am more dissappointed than I'm happy .. Such a shame BlackBerry turned this into such a user experience after all ..
    03-02-13 02:00 PM
    Sometimes that happens when you try to jump the gun and use a device that your carrier doesn't support yet. Don't blame BlackBerry, blame your carrier.

If you did all the research that you said you did, then you should have been prepared for this.

Posted via CB10
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    03-02-13 02:04 PM
    There is no way to edit the APN, sorry to tell you.
    03-02-13 02:06 PM
    As one guy already pointed out in the forum, there is a trick that you can try to get you're apn setting available.

For me the problem was that I could'nt change the settings at all.

I installed the leaked OS, version 10.0.10.261. I was at first on 10.0.9.2372.

You can find the link to download the file by doing a quick search withon the forum.

After the install I can now edit and save the new APN settings...AND I HAVE MOBILE DATA CONNECTION NOW

Frederic
    Last edited by fredericb; 03-03-13 at 12:04 AM.
    03-02-13 11:44 PM
    Can you give me details on installing this "leaked" OS?
    03-03-13 12:59 AM
    There is currently no official download link, only available via OTA.

I have a link for the leak version of 261 if you want to try. It has been tested on Z10, but don't forget to backup your data.

Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!4g1xVaoY!UACTRn...Bak0dMOrwvgRPM

Mirror Link : http://www.baidupcs.com/file/e4e54cd...ontrol=private

Download, Unzip. Read this info on how to load the OS to your Z10:
    1. Turn off your BlackBerry.
    2. Run the file Autoload.10.0.10.261.0x8400240a.0x8500240a.0x87002 40a.exe
    3. When prompt shows “Connecting to Bootrom”, connect your Z10 to your computer and turn it on.
    4. If you have a password set on your device, type your password when prompted.
    5. After your device restarts, complete the set up wizard.

[POST EDITED FOR ACCURACY BASED OFF THE OSBB SOURCE FILES FOUND HERE - http://opensourcebb.com/bb10-oses/
    Last edited by fredericb; 03-03-13 at 02:22 AM.
    03-03-13 02:07 AM
    Thanks fredericb. I installed the leak, went smoothly. But still no internet and settings are still greyed out I am now on OS version 10.0.10.261 and in security settings it shows all 3 items as unlocked (as it should be, I bought it factory unlocked).

And I disagree with the second post, I do blame BlackBerry for this. They make the phone and it is their decision (for whatever reason) to lock some settings to carriers. Early adopters now are punished (I thought they wanted increased phone sales?!) Every 50 Euro Android phone you can just edit the APN settings yourself. It's the choice of the phone maker.

I contacted my carrier via Twitter. Probably will have to wait until phone is officially released in my country for my carrier .. hopefully it won't be too long
    03-03-13 02:47 AM
    Maybe this is also important: I am using a provider that does not have an own network but uses that of another provider (Telfort NL, making use of KPN NL network). I also get asked whether I want roaming to be enabled. Of course, functionally there is no roaming - to me it should be visible as my home network. Probably also a bug they first have to fix....
    03-03-13 02:50 AM
    The fact are that the apn can be pushed to the mobile using a IT policy when it connect to the network, or be included in the operating system software of the mobile as a predefined list, that the phone use depending of the sim card operator ID.

The leaked version, in my case, allow my carrier to correctly push all the information to my mobile.

You're carrier can give you a hint if he push the apn or not. If not, that mean that you will have to wait for a updated version of BB10.

Frederic
    03-03-13 03:36 AM
    vodafone is releasing it in week 13 in the netherlands...so i think you have to wait three weeks from now.....did you tried also other simcards?
    03-03-13 03:53 AM
    Thanks for all your help. Yes I think it will still be some time here in the Netherlands .. Originally it should have been out already, now you read end of march on all online selling sites. I just tried a different SIM indeed, from my employer. And though its also a virtual carrier (Intercity, on KPN network as well) it worked straight out of the box! APN settings greyed out as well, but I see the info is put in there. Also, I dont get the strange roaming messages I got with Telfort ... Unfortunately I only have 50MB data on this SIM So I will have to keep using iPhone as main device ..

Will try to contact Telfort support see if they know how to push APN settings .. but usually support staff is so "well informed", wouldn't suprise me if they never heard of Z10 and will try to sell me traditional BIS bundle for older Blackberrys ...
    03-03-13 04:29 AM
    Indeed, some carriers do this...Blackberry told me a future update would allow users to always edit their apn settings. However, for now you just need to switch to a network that doesn't block your settings on the phone...in Belgium Mobile Vikings and Proximus do work, Telenet doesn't

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 12:09 PM
    i got my STL00-2 z10 sim free from the carphone warehouse in the uk. i live in ireland, however, and am on the Tesco network. i turned my phone on when i got back home to find that the internet over HSPA wouldn't work because the settings were greyed out. Initially my phone was running 10.0.9.378 and it wouldn't update to 10.0.10.90. so i got an O2 micro sim and then used blackberry link to update it to10.0.10.90.

i get the same as what others have described. when i have the O2 sim card in the phone, it shows me an O2 logo when turning on/off and it has a different wallpaper and it LETS MET CHANGE APN SETTINGS! but when i put my Tesco mobile sim (which is a virtual MVNO that runs on the O2 network) I cannot change the APN settings! what is this madness?! for the networks that don't need you to change settings to get your z10 to work (i.e. the carriers push settings to the phone) it lets you change APN settings, but for other networks that you need to input the settings manually, it won't let you edit the APN settings!!
    03-14-13 05:37 PM
    i really hope that the update that fixes this issue is out soon. i'm starting to lose patience a bit. and jumping through hoops just to get my phone's OS version to update is such a pain. exactly why i got a sim free z10 thinking i'd steer clear of all the carrier related BS!
    03-14-13 05:40 PM
    Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you'll know that I was having the same issue, however I did get it resolved by my service provider.

I brought it in today and had a technician look at it. He was having a bit trouble as everything looked correct on the system. He then passed it on to a more experience tech and he ask the previous guy to remove some service off the sim and reload them and it worked. I didn't ask for the details (which I should have, sorry) but from what gathered while listening, is that he basically wiped the sim clean and started fresh, reprogrammed the phone and it was good to go.

So its not the phone or BlackBerry but your service provider, at least that was the case on my end.

Other Information:

Unlocked phone (bought off amazon)
    Model: STL100-1
    I previously had a BIS plan and switch to normal data plan
    04-02-13 03:24 PM
    Indeed, some carriers do this...Blackberry told me a future update would allow users to always edit their apn settings. However, for now you just need to switch to a network that doesn't block your settings on the phone...in Belgium Mobile Vikings and Proximus do work, Telenet doesn't

Posted via CB10

With the 10.99 update i had, the greyed out apn settings are now normal.
    04-12-13 01:35 AM
    Just a quick update. With the DEV ALPHA update 10.1.0.1485 I do have APN settings unlocked and prefilled with the correct settings for Telfort. So Telfort internet is working for the first time! I have strong hopes that indeed with 10.1 release all APN problems are resolved.

Also tried the Leaked OS 10.1.0.1429 for the BlackBerry Z10, but although the settings are not greyed out anymore, changes are not saved and internet is not useable. But probably that release is some hybrid, waiting for official release.
    04-21-13 04:44 AM