I have yet to use my nfc feature on my amazing z10, so u tried to send a friend a pdf file to her sg3.. no luck. I tried an image.. no luck. I tried a music file.. no luck. I looked up a YouTube video where a guy transfers an image from the z10 to the sg3 and a music file from the sg3 to the z10. He doesn't tell what the setting are on to that phone, but we both have nfc turned on and she has her "sbeam" turned on as well. My BlackBerry vibrates (as my 9930 used to with nfc) but nothing happens. In the video he doesn't show having to use the "share " button but I've tried it both ways and no go. Am I doing something wrong?

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee likes this.
    04-24-13 01:18 AM
    Jason, have and this is only a theory as i have not tried on z10, you tried to connect via BT and send over BT i have a feeling the NFC merely does a BT connection and send via that platform if this works then try the NFC.

I use NFC with tags for quick messaging to my GF but not really for FT. If you work it out let me know I would be keen to hear your results.

All the best

CO
    04-24-13 03:52 AM
    I was under the impression that nfc was used just to tap phones and share information that way, but you're saying it can be used in other ways??... Since i don't know anyone else with a z10 i have mine turned off to extend the battery life.
    04-24-13 04:03 AM
    Omega yes it can be used to send sms, open applications and calendar events its quite handy you can toggle blue tooth and wifi

I use a program that I had on my 9790 the author is a crackberry member, so great for feedback etc

the app I use is shortcut me it's in the app store but just stick it in a crackberry search and you'll see what else you can do if you run o to any problems let me know and I can walk you through the basics. With the z10 version we cannot use macros but I believe it is being worked on still a great feature though

Good Luck

CO
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CRACKBERRY_OZ; 04-24-13 at 04:48 AM.
    Vijik likes this.
    04-24-13 04:11 AM
    Try without S-Beam.
    Samsung’s S-Beam app uses nfc and WiFi direct, it just works if other phone has S-Beam too.
    Small data (< ~8k) is send with just NFC technology, probably works flawlessly. For bigger data transfer, devices handover the connection to Bluetooth, problematic between different O.S.’s.
    I hope this helps in the right direction. I can't help with a how-to.
    Please post more info when you manage.
    Vijik likes this.
    04-24-13 07:01 PM
    I have yet to use my nfc feature on my amazing z10, so u tried to send a friend a pdf file to her sg3.. no luck. I tried an image.. no luck. I tried a music file.. no luck. I looked up a YouTube video where a guy transfers an image from the z10 to the sg3 and a music file from the sg3 to the z10. He doesn't tell what the setting are on to that phone, but we both have nfc turned on and she has her "sbeam" turned on as well. My BlackBerry vibrates (as my 9930 used to with nfc) but nothing happens. In the video he doesn't show having to use the "share " button but I've tried it both ways and no go. Am I doing something wrong?

Posted via CB10
    I d love to know this as well.

I also have problems sending and receiving files from my z10 to my sisters note 2.

Posted via CB10 using my flick-ity keyboard .
    04-24-13 07:03 PM
    I was under the impression that nfc was used just to tap phones and share information that way, but you're saying it can be used in other ways??... Since i don't know anyone else with a z10 i have mine turned off to extend the battery life.
    NFC has 3 different modes.

Read-Write Mode:
    This mode of NFC can be used to read NFC tags and run a task based on the data on the tag.
    The SmartTags (BBs shipped with this app), MyProfilesPro (3rd party app), and ShortcutMe (3rd party app) can read and write tags using this mode of NFC.

SmartTags supports running one task if the data on the tag is supported by the BBs.
    MyProfilesPro doesn't limit itself with the NFC specs (one task per tag). So it can run up to 19 customizable tasks with a tap to one single NFC tag. Those 19 tasks can be set by user.

You can check out SmartTags app on your BB, and you can also read about MyProfilePro here

Peer2Peer mode (called NFC Tag on BBs and Beam on Android):

peer2peer is the mode used between 2 active devices.
    If you want to transfer files between 2 platforms, then it is important how NFC peer2peer is implemented on the OS running on those 2 platforms. It is also important to know that the implementation is changing from one OS version to another.
    So, if someone get it to transfer from one platform to another and you can't, it could be that you don't test with the same version of OS.

Edit: It is also important to note what Joao Rostli wrote above. Large data might not get transferred between Android's Beam and BB's NFC Tag because Beam is switching to Wifi Direct (Not standard), and BB switches to Bluetooth (Standard).

Card Emulation Mode:

This mode can be used to emulate a card (payment card, access control card, etc), or to emulate a NFC tag.
    BlackBerry is big on this one because their secure backend system (TSM) is also approved by Visa and others.
    However mobile payment also requires the carriers and banks to agree how to share the profit made from the mobile payment.
    Unfortunately it looks like that it takes these 2 players longer time to agree on how much of the pie each should get. That is why mobile payment has not taken off yet, but it will for sure happen.
    04-24-13 08:31 PM
    From personal experience, the Galaxy S3 is terribad at NFC sharing, even with Android phones. Just use Bluetooth.
    04-24-13 08:37 PM
    The NFC on my Z10 works well with other BlackBerry devices, individual files transfer quickly; however I have not used this to move large amount of data I'm not sure if it was meant for that. I am unable to transfer any files in NFC to the Galaxy S3. Not sure why yet.

Regarding tags, I can only build tags to email or text for *single*recipients*, I cannot build a tag to launch an email list or group text for instance. Does anyone have a workaround on this?

Thank you.
    04-25-13 12:09 AM
    Works perfectly with my Nokia N9

Posted via CB10
    dan1289 likes this.
    04-25-13 01:32 AM
    "Large data might not get transferred between Android's Beam and BB's NFC Tag because Beam is switching to Wifi Direct (Not standard), and BB switches to Bluetooth (Standard)."
    2 different Beam apps for Android;
    - S-Beam is Samsung’s proprietary app, using WiFi.
    - Android Beam uses Bluetooth.
    Anyway, cross-platform use is problematic.
    04-25-13 05:26 PM
    "Large data might not get transferred between Android's Beam and BB's NFC Tag because Beam is switching to Wifi Direct (Not standard), and BB switches to Bluetooth (Standard)."
    2 different Beam apps for Android;
    - S-Beam is Samsungís proprietary app, using WiFi.
    - Android Beam uses Bluetooth.
    Anyway, cross-platform use is problematic.
    Correct.

Android Beam, in addition, requires a flick on the screen at the time of the tap to transfer file from Android to other devices. That flick is not standard NFC thing and it gets other platforms confused.
    04-26-13 07:02 AM
    My buddy on an S3 transfers picture back and forth to my Z10 all the time. We've used NFC probably 20 times or more without a glitch

Works perfectly if you know how to use it
    04-26-13 07:25 AM
    I've seen numerous videos on youtube of people transferring files between an S3 and the Z10.
    04-26-13 07:42 AM
    Do this is not possible?

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 08:30 AM
    The only use I have had with NFC is with a bus stop where it has a poster that gave me a pdf copy of the time table and up to date next bus times.

My wife has a Sony Experia and we have tried twice to send pics to each other and it's failed.

Posted with CB10 on a Z10
    04-26-13 08:50 AM