simfree, the z10 is �200 more than a 16gb n4. is the z10 worth �200 more of your money? I don't think so somehow. I had a 9900 prior to my n4. cost me �500 new outright. after owning a n4 I and plenty of others are going to find it hard justifying spending �300 plus on a phone ever again. n4 bang for buck there is o contest

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Google is subsidizing the phone. The carriers are sold the phone at a higher amount than can be bought in the Play Store for. So I wouldn't be expecting Google to keep being able to do this indefinitely. I know in the end that the end user could care less why it is so cheap, but Apple and BlackBerry simply can't lose money on hardware to compete with a device like the Nexus 4.
    02-19-13 09:46 AM
    simfree, the z10 is �200 more than a 16gb n4. is the z10 worth �200 more of your money? I don't think so somehow. I had a 9900 prior to my n4. cost me �500 new outright. after owning a n4 I and plenty of others are going to find it hard justifying spending �300 plus on a phone ever again. n4 bang for buck there is o contest

No arguing with this. One of the best buck for your buck phone in the market.

On a side note (bad pun), i had the original Note and Note 2. Honestly, what the Note 2 can do is pretty darn impressive, but it's still too large a phone for my liking.
    zaki67 likes this.
    02-19-13 10:01 AM
    Thanks! Somehow he went from playing an YouTube video n the background without intrerupting while you perform another task to a podcast app.

Posted via CB10
    One last time, I can do both, listen to a YouTube video in the background or I can listen to a video podcast in the background. Did you not know these things were possible on IOS? Anyway, It's clear to me now that you are invested in believing that the Z10 is somehow superior to other platforms, and nothing I or anybody else says is going to change your point of view. Have a nice day.
    02-19-13 10:14 AM
    I gave up advising people on their smartphone choice years ago. It's a personal decision, make it on your own.

Posted via CB10
    elGuapoTorres likes this.
    02-19-13 10:21 AM
    Google is subsidizing the phone
    ...or apple, blackberry et all have been overcharging and ripping us all for yrs!

kbz1960 likes this.
    02-19-13 10:31 AM
    One last time, I can do both, listen to a YouTube video in the background or I can listen to a video podcast in the background. Did you not know these things were possible on IOS? Anyway, It's clear to me now that you are invested in believing that the Z10 is somehow superior to other platforms, and nothing I or anybody else says is going to change your point of view. Have a nice day.
    I understand it's posibile but it's not seamless.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 10:31 AM
    That *is* pretty impressive indeed! The Notes are just too big for me to consider to be a daily driver . I'd rather have a phone with a 4.5in-ish screen and/or a 7-8in tablet.
    Oh baby after using the SGIII I am going ALL THE WAY!!!!!! This device has gotten under my skin.

There is definitely a Note 3 in my future.

This comes from someone, as you know, who HATED Android with red hot fury.

Then I tried it. And sure enough, ate several dishes of crow....crow stew, crow linguine, crow lasagna....

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    02-19-13 11:26 AM
    If you're asking my personal opinion, I'll say that there is nothing particularly unique about BlackBerry 10 beyond the keyoard. As far as I'm concerned the keyboard is The App... If you text, email, etc or otherwise use your keyboard on your phone regularly? Then yeah, look at the Blackberyy Z10, and you'll probably stop there.

Otherwise, if you're about Apps, then look at Apple or Android.

In my opinion, that's the difference. IF you text, and use your phone keyboard? Get a Blackberry, no question. Otherwise, shop around.

Cheers
    Peej
    It takes a bit of time to learn how to exploit true multitasking. Swiping between running apps takes one to the next dimension in mobile computing. The old "in out" paradigm works on QNX powered devices but gradually you begin to use real multitasking. Poynt, compass, email, texting, browser, streaming video/audio, etc., all running and simply swiping from one to another as ideas come to you. This is what PB OS2 can do. Haven't tried BB10 yet unfortunately.
    02-19-13 11:58 AM
    Oh baby after using the SGIII I am going ALL THE WAY!!!!!! This device has gotten under my skin.

There is definitely a Note 3 in my future.

This comes from someone, as you know, who HATED Android with red hot fury.

Then I tried it. And sure enough, ate several dishes of crow....crow stew, crow linguine, crow lasagna....

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    I picked up a dummy Note 2 unit in the store. Totally unusable as a phone to the ear type device (unless your in the NBA), or carry in your pocket kind of device. I could see where a women carrying a purse, or a guy with the murse could have it be useful and it wasn't their only phone. I'm sure some people will dispute this and scream BT headsets, yada, yada, but I don't want to have to carry around an entourage of devices and accessories with me for a phone. If the Note3 is 6" like some rumors put it at being then you are really getting into more tablet than phone. Should be fine for you since you carry around multiple devices, and likely have a purse most of the time, I just can't see it being a daily driver kind of device for me.

Doesn't really matter now anyway, with the SGS4, HTC One all likely coming just after the Z10 in the US the Z10 sales are just going to be hurt again. BlackBerry had a perfect opportunity to have about three months all to themselves and blew it. Clearly they were planning for late Q1 launch than early with the missing "committed" apps and the US carriers waiting for that but decided to have the January 30th dog and pony show because they knew that late Q1 was going to get very noisy.
    02-19-13 12:18 PM
    I picked up a dummy Note 2 unit in the store. Totally unusable as a phone to the ear type device (unless your in the NBA), or carry in your pocket kind of device. I could see where a women carrying a purse, or a guy with the murse could have it be useful and it wasn't their only phone. I'm sure some people will dispute this and scream BT headsets, yada, yada, but I don't want to have to carry around an entourage of devices and accessories with me for a phone. If the Note3 is 6" like some rumors put it at being then you are really getting into more tablet than phone. Should be fine for you since you carry around multiple devices, and likely have a purse most of the time, I just can't see it being a daily driver kind of device for me.

Doesn't really matter now anyway, with the SGS4, HTC One all likely coming just after the Z10 in the US the Z10 sales are just going to be hurt again. BlackBerry had a perfect opportunity to have about three months all to themselves and blew it. Clearly they were planning for late Q1 launch than early with the missing "committed" apps and the US carriers waiting for that but decided to have the January 30th dog and pony show because they knew that late Q1 was going to get very noisy.
    Yah I normally carry a purse. And even when I don't, I'm past the age (and the Cuban body type does not allow) for skinny jeans. So if the device would still fit in my jeans I'm fine.

And I know.....you don't want to hear it.....but I do always carry a Bluetooth. I've taken to actually even wearing it in the house while I do housework and put the phone in my yoga pants or my comfy fleece pjs.
    lnichols likes this.
    02-19-13 12:31 PM
    Why do you feel the need to reply with such attitude and condescension?

It's actually more like 20mm for both the notification bar and the action bar. If you don't mind them, or actually prefer them, there is nothing wrong with that. Personally I don't like them taking up so much unnecessary space. I just happen to prefer the way it is done on the Z10. Why does that seem to be an issue for you? It is simply personal preference.
    Maybe because that is the only reasonable response to exaggeration such as yours. The notification bar takes up maybe 3mm; the action bar disappears when you open an app so it takes up nothing. And I made no reference to how things are done on the Z10, so it's not an issue for me at all. I was just pointing out that 'way it is done' on android uses up virtually no screen real estate.
    02-19-13 01:10 PM

I am 6'4" kinda big and the Notes fit in my front pocket just fine. Heck if you go into the PB forums you will see folks who say they pocket the PB from time to time. The GN2 is a little longer and a little (just a little) slimmer than the original GN, and for a big guy it doesn't appear so weird I suppose but I understand why some folks shy away from it. You would be surprised though all the women over on Android Central who are rocking GNotes right now. I figured this would be a manly phone as we have size issues as everyone knows, but you would be surprised many more ladies than I initially expected have said they have the phone now
    02-19-13 01:15 PM
    Maybe because that is the only reasonable response to exaggeration such as yours. The notification bar takes up maybe 3mm; the action bar disappears when you open an app so it takes up nothing. And I made no reference to how things are done on the Z10, so it's not an issue for me at all. I was just pointing out that 'way it is done' on android uses up virtually no screen real estate.
    No being rude is NOT the only reasonable response.

And regardless again we are talking about MY PREFERENCE. My preference can't be wrong because it is MINE.

And again it is more like 20mm not 3mm. The status bar at the top (battery, signal, notifications, etc) and the action bar at the bottom (back, menu, multi-tasking) total up to just shy of 20mm. And no the action bar does not disappear when you open an app.

If you prefer the way it is done on Android that is all fine and good but is no reason to attack me for having a preference different than yours.
    sf49ers and elGuapoTorres like this.
    02-19-13 01:16 PM
    Not for nothing but that new HTC One looks amazing. If BB doesnt land the Z10 earlier than the HTC1 and Galaxy S4 phones they will be in more of a world of hurt. I was really wanting the Z10 and if it was out now it would be in my hands. But I cant see trying that phone anymore if it comes out too late.
    02-19-13 01:38 PM
    No being rude is NOT the only reasonable response.

And regardless again we are talking about MY PREFERENCE. My preference can't be wrong because it is MINE.

And again it is more like 20mm not 3mm. The status bar at the top (battery, signal, notifications, etc) and the action bar at the bottom (back, menu, multi-tasking) total up to just shy of 20mm. And no the action bar does not disappear when you open an app.

If you prefer the way it is done on Android that is all fine and good but is no reason to attack me for having a preference different than yours.
    There is only one bar. Nothing at the bottom.

Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4 to a z10...what am i missing?-uploadfromtaptalk1361302929705.jpg  
    brianatbb likes this.
    02-19-13 01:42 PM
    The problem is that RIM Blackberry has to attract more people to "get it" or they are sunk.
    02-19-13 01:47 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/20/ju4u3a2a.jpg
    This thread is about Nexus 4 and I was talking about my experience with my Nexus 4.

You are correct that not all Android devices have on screen buttons though.

It may seem strange but I actually prefer the on-screen button to the hard or capacitive buttons on other Android devices. The reason being is they all only have back, home, and Multi-tasking OR Menu. On screen allows you to have both with the menu 3 dots only showing up when needed.
    02-19-13 01:50 PM
    Not for nothing but that new HTC One looks amazing.
    It truly does! I love the speaker arrangement, reminds me of the PlayBook's layout with speakers at the edges. Wonder if it's stereo though on the One?

The more I read about Android, the more tempted I am. I could keep my popup notifications, color LED alerts, alert customization, etc. and apparently still have a universal mailbox of sorts (from what I read here). The only catch... and it's what's still stopping me... is the fragmentation and manufacturer "skins" make it all so confusing. Every Android is so different from every other, it's really difficult to figure out which does what. Some have multicolor LEDs, some don't. Some have carousel task switchers, some the traditional list. Some keyboards work well, some are difficult. Some have great cameras, some aren't so great. Etc. Etc.
    02-19-13 01:51 PM
    It truly does! I love the speaker arrangement, reminds me of the PlayBook's layout with speakers at the edges. Wonder if it's stereo though on the One?

The more I read about Android, the more tempted I am. I could keep my popup notifications, color LED alerts, alert customization, etc. and apparently still have a universal mailbox of sorts (from what I read here). The only catch... and it's what's still stopping me... is the fragmentation and manufacturer "skins" make it all so confusing. Every Android is so different from every other, it's really difficult to figure out which does what. Some have multicolor LEDs, some don't. Some have carousel task switchers, some the traditional list. Some keyboards work well, some are difficult. Some have great cameras, some aren't so great. Etc. Etc.
    Depending on exactly what you want Android can be as easy as turning it on and using it or you can spend a lot of time getting it perfectly to your liking. You can install another launcher and tweak it to exactly the way you want it so manufacturer skins become less of an issue and more of just another option among many (recent more minimalist skins anyways. Some of the older heavier skins take over too much and end up giving a very disjointed experience when using custom launchers)
    02-19-13 01:56 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/20/ju4u3a2a.jpg
    omg you are a notification hoarder lmao
    02-19-13 01:56 PM
    This thread is about Nexus 4 and I was talking about my experience with my Nexus 4.

You are correct that not all Android devices have on screen buttons though.

It may seem strange but I actually prefer the on-screen button to the hard or capacitive buttons on other Android devices. The reason being is they all only have back, home, and Multi-tasking OR Menu. On screen allows you to have both with the menu 3 dots only showing up when needed.
    Which Nexus? My tech lead at work has a Nexus 4 and he hasn't got a bar.....his looks exactly like mine. He's not rooted.

Unfortunately he's not keen on sending me screenshots that I can post here.
    02-19-13 01:58 PM
    omg you are a notification hoarder lmao

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You noticed that, eh????
    02-19-13 01:58 PM
    Which Nexus? My tech lead at work has a Nexus 4 and he hasn't got a bar.....his looks exactly like mine. He's not rooted.

Unfortunately he's not keen on sending me screenshots that I can post here.
    Actually he does but they just blend in with the bottom of his phone so you probably thought they were capacitive buttons like on your phone. The Back, Menu, and Multi-tasking buttons are on his screen not on the base of the phone.

Here is a screenshot from my Nexus 4:

Nexus 4 to a z10...what am i missing?-68618_10151197456181190_1298936109_n.jpg
    02-19-13 02:00 PM
    I will likely drop my ex mother in law's soon.
    Even better when quoted out of context. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    02-19-13 02:14 PM

Android is what you make of it really. When I first switched, my number one goal was to make everything work the way it did on BlackBerry. it took me quite a while to figure out that "different" isn't always "worse."

The competition between Android OEMs is a double-edged sword, but it does push the hardware to a very competitive place. I root everything within sight, so I can truly customize the device to my liking, though I tend to prefer the build quality of HTC. I might go Nexus next time; I am sort of craving an untainted Android experience this time.

One tool I love is The Verge's comparison tool. It's great for comparing devices and wading through the Android sea. Check this out: BlackBerry Z10 vs. Samsung Galaxy S III (T-Mobile) vs. HTC One | The Verge
    02-19-13 02:14 PM
266 ... 7891011