I got the Z10 as a replacement for my Nexus 4 and was planning to sell it.
    I now have both devices and I do not really see the point of replacing the Nexus 4.
    I do not want to offend anyone and I like to try all the operating systems without being bias to any.
    I really do not see any advantage thet the Z10 has over Nexus.
    a simple task of downloading an application from the market became a long process of finding and side loading it.

even the 9810 I had before the Nexus had more advantages than the Z10 which to me feels like an android with a custom launcher and no application (and Data drops).
    02-18-13 06:44 AM
    I got the Z10 as a replacement for my Nexus 4 and was planning to sell it.
    I now have both devices and I do not really see the point of replacing the Nexus 4.
    I do not want to offend anyone and I like to try all the operating systems without being bias to any.
    I really do not see any advantage thet the Z10 has over Nexus.
    a simple task of downloading an application from the market became a long process of finding and side loading it.

even the 9810 I had before the Nexus had more advantages than the Z10 which to me feels like an android with a custom launcher and no application (and Data drops).
    Well it has a much better OS in the long run

It's kind of useless to compare OS's if the other has been on the market for 2 weeks and two many years.
    02-18-13 06:48 AM
    I am not comparing or trying to attack RIM I did get the Z10 but I am asking what advantages is it supposed to give the user .
    02-18-13 06:50 AM
    I am not comparing or trying to attack RIM I did get the Z10 but I am asking what advantages is it supposed to give the user .
    Some people are blackberry people. Obviously you are not.

You get it or you don't.
    Villain, SDTRMG, bitek and 4 others like this.
    02-18-13 06:52 AM
    @sandman you are so right. No other phones ever felt so right for me. It is not just the apps, specs whatever. it is the whole feel of the phone. The subtle and un flashy exterior, the dark (I really find windows phones too bright) and sharp looking interface etc. I never liked iOS's grey blue theme either.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 06:56 AM
    BlackBerry z10 is not to replace Iphone or android phone. It is to provide another choice. Die hard BlackBerry fan will like BlackBerry. Android guys will never like BlackBerry or Iphone. Iphone guys will find android and BlackBerry mediocre. As a BlackBerry can, I simply find z10 a joy to use. Likewise, I can stand using Android and Iphone. They are all good phones, but my z10 is a better fit for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:04 AM
    BlackBerry z10 is not to replace Iphone or android phone. It is to provide another choice. Die hard BlackBerry fan will like BlackBerry. Android guys will never like BlackBerry or Iphone. Iphone guys will find android and BlackBerry mediocre. As a BlackBerry can, I simply find z10 a joy to use. Likewise, I can stand using Android and Iphone. They are all good phones, but my z10 is a better fit for me.

Posted via CB10
    I concur

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:09 AM
    What advantage does it give the user? I think that is an individual response for each person. Maybe you prefer bb, maybe you like the UI better, maybe you like the options and settings, maybe you like the screen and on and on.

Nothing wrong if you choose to like your nexus better for whatever reasons that are individual to you.
    02-18-13 07:09 AM
    There are some of us who like to use different platforms simultaneously. Personally, I get bored looking at the same thing day in and day out and I like to mix it up. Sometimes I like keyboards, sometimes not. Sometimes BB and sometimes my SGIII. There are times when I crave the simplicity of iOS. And much to the annoyance of those who denigrate those of us who use multiple platforms, I like knowing for myself when someone is being a raving, rabid fanboy with no concept of what other platforms do.

I was eagerly waiting for the Z10 and watched the Jan 30 event with great joy and anticipation. Then Thor said apps were "committed," then he said that the U.S. launch would be in March, then I started to read in the forums that some key functions present in legacy BBOS had not made their way to the Z10, then I read that data compression is no longer on BB10, and then I learned that email on the Z10 would be the same as on any other platform.

So.....to me, the loss of those functionalities and the absence but "commitment" of key apps means that there is no point in the Z10 at launch. To me, there is no point in spending 650 for a phone that brings with it a new navigation method but little else of the things that for me define a BB. Assuming that BB security remains and that BBM remains, those features are the only ones from legacy that make it a point to me to get a Z10. But then again, those things are already on my 9900 along with all the legacy key features I value.

So it seems to me that for my use and for my desires, wants, and needs, there is no point to the Z10 at launch. I will buy one when my upgrade comes in June, but no sooner. My BB is no longer my daily driver and is a companion to my other two phones, with my SGIII as my current workhorse. Had the Z10 retained those things that make a BB unique to me, that no one else does better, such as personalisation of notification, customisation of profiles, security, email through the NOC, and data compression, I would have gladly bought at launch if the price had been right. As it stands, it hasn't got the feature set I want and it appears that it will be around 650....I'll pass and get it for what it's worth to me, which is 200 bucks.
    kbz1960, Sim_1, Lyls and 14 others like this.
    02-18-13 07:22 AM
    ... OP ..The point here is not to compare the phone as the people have said.. There are different strokes for different folks.... Personally if they could have made os7 a little less freezy... (yes i made it up) I would be perfectly fine with my bold, and a few more cross platform apps and a front camera... that being said, its something that obviously doesn't work in today's world... the z10 is about the future.. remember, when the iphone came out you couldnt even send a picture to a friend with it being an email.... and you didnt even have a front facing camera, or fake multitasking or apps, or games, or flash, or copy paste.. the z10 is a first year phone... it will come with updates, changes, additions, subtractions, apps, etc. its been out for a little under a month and its not even available in all markets yet.. now if its december 2013 and we still do not have updates and some app selections that we were promised.... they you will have a valid point, but now.. NO!!!!
    02-18-13 07:23 AM
    I would beg to differ. The phone was delayed so that, as Thor said, it would be finished. It appears to me that for me, it is not finished. And I would be interested to know how many apps are there from the 70K that were promised to be there at launch.
    02-18-13 07:28 AM
    I have both..

The nexus 4 is right now really the best android out there. (Also have a note 2, galaxy s3) It is super fast and reliable. Android 4.2.2 is super fluid and the notifications get better every iteration. I have it fully customized with launcher, skin and buttons.

But I simply love my Hub. Everything in one place so nicely integrated and visible all the time. The swipe gestures are faster than the software buttons and so on. There are some glitches here and there and I miss whatsapp a bit and some other apps.
    But to be honest!! This is a 1.0 and it is so feature complete as no other mobile OS was before. itoy had no mms and no copy & paste and so on. It took ages till android could talk activesync exchange. As a communication machine the Z10 is a brilliant device. The rest will follow with time. BB made some really good decisions. APIs will develop and so do the possibilities and the app store. Happy to be a part of it.
    02-18-13 07:29 AM
    I am a BlackBerry person but what do the 9810 and the Z10 have in common?
    Also when the I phone came it was not perfect but it offered things that were not common back then even though it lacked many things. That is exactly my point here what am I going getting to sacrifice an I phone or an android. Even b buzz is not there and it was one of my favorite apps!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    02-18-13 07:31 AM
    I would beg to differ. The phone was delayed so that, as Thor said, it would be finished. It appears to me that for me, it is not finished. And I would be interested to know how many apps are there from the 70K that were promised to be there at launch.
    The phone and the OS are finished, apps are not part of the OS, they are add ons.

Compare the OS to the PB OS and there's a HUGE difference in the way it operates and the way apps integrate fir sharing etc. That's what took a lot of work, they took the PB os where all apps basically run on their own to the BB10 OS where apps integrate and can invoke other apps or just functions from other apps to perform tasks yet at the same time if they crash they don't affect each other.

That's where the real work has gone.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:34 AM
    bbuzz is not there because the LED api seems not to be finished. Thats what I wrote in another thread. It seems like not every event is trackable right now. Correct me if I am mistaken.
    02-18-13 07:35 AM
    bbuzz is not there because the LED api seems not to be finished. Thats what I wrote in another thread. It seems like not every event is trackable right now. Correct me if I am mistaken.
    Sorry I was trying to make a point that I do no find anything in common between the old and the new and be buzz is an example. Why would people who love blackberry as it was defend the new one... Only because of the name?

jdhooghe likes this.
    02-18-13 07:49 AM
    There are some of us who like to use different platforms simultaneously. Personally, I get bored looking at the same thing day in and day out and I like to mix it up. Sometimes I like keyboards, sometimes not. Sometimes BB and sometimes my SGIII. There are times when I crave the simplicity of iOS. And much to the annoyance of those who denigrate those of us who use multiple platforms, I like knowing for myself when someone is being a raving, rabid fanboy with no concept of what other platforms do.

I was eagerly waiting for the Z10 and watched the Jan 30 event with great joy and anticipation. Then Thor said apps were "committed," then he said that the U.S. launch would be in March, then I started to read in the forums that some key functions present in legacy BBOS had not made their way to the Z10, then I read that data compression is no longer on BB10, and then I learned that email on the Z10 would be the same as on any other platform.

So.....to me, the loss of those functionalities and the absence but "commitment" of key apps means that there is no point in the Z10 at launch. To me, there is no point in spending 650 for a phone that brings with it a new navigation method but little else of the things that for me define a BB. Assuming that BB security remains and that BBM remains, those features are the only ones from legacy that make it a point to me to get a Z10. But then again, those things are already on my 9900 along with all the legacy key features I value.

So it seems to me that for my use and for my desires, wants, and needs, there is no point to the Z10 at launch. I will buy one when my upgrade comes in June, but no sooner. My BB is no longer my daily driver and is a companion to my other two phones, with my SGIII as my current workhorse. Had the Z10 retained those things that make a BB unique to me, that no one else does better, such as personalisation of notification, customisation of profiles, security, email through the NOC, and data compression, I would have gladly bought at launch if the price had been right. As it stands, it hasn't got the feature set I want and it appears that it will be around 650....I'll pass and get it for what it's worth to me, which is 200 bucks.
    I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment of where they are at right now and for you that is just what you should do.

I plan on getting one but not until the fall when my contract is up. By then i should know if its for me or if i look elsewhere.
    02-18-13 07:49 AM
    Sorry I was trying to make a point that I do no find anything in common between the old and the new and be buzz is an example. Why would people who love blackberry as it was defend the new one... Only because of the name?

Maybe because they are embracing the new as opposed to hanging on to the old and they just don't like iphone, android or wp. I hope that they will add the features people ask for.

Why does it bother you so much that someone else may prefer something you do not?
    02-18-13 07:53 AM
    I find the op thread funny. Not to offend him but maybe you should not have gotten the Z10 In the first place. Nexus 4 is a good phone and I would be happy if I got one but was looking for something different. I find the BB UI more interesting but both are good phones and seems you care about apps I don't see y you got a Z10. I don't know what you were expecting when you purchase the Z10 In just another smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    sf49ers, SDTRMG, trynacu2 and 2 others like this.
    02-18-13 08:00 AM
    For myself - i am loving the Z10. I can actually type faster on it then I could on my physical keyboard bb. I even find myself trying to use some of the keyboard speed tricks on my pb and getting frustrated when they don't work. Lol.

The UI is beautiful and a joy to use. I find the included apps so functional I don't even need add ons to make my phone work for me. The hub is awesome and it seems like everyday I discover a way that something is integrated into the OS that just makes sense and makes it easy to use.

However, my son has an S2 that he is loving and my husband likes his Note (although he admits to actually liking the UI of the Z10 better, he needs the larger screen for his poor eyesight lol). I don't have a problem with whatever they want use. If the OP doesn't see an advantage to the Z10 then there probably isn't one for him.

For me - it's the best phone I've ever had.
    02-18-13 08:14 AM
    The phone and the OS are finished, apps are not part of the OS, they are add ons.

Compare the OS to the PB OS and there's a HUGE difference in the way it operates and the way apps integrate fir sharing etc. That's what took a lot of work, they took the PB os where all apps basically run on their own to the BB10 OS where apps integrate and can invoke other apps or just functions from other apps to perform tasks yet at the same time if they crash they don't affect each other.

Posted via CB10
    The phone is finished, the OS is clearly not. Notifications and the customization of them, crippled bedside mode, etc. are all key BB features that are missing. It seems obvious to me that the US launch is being delayed to finish some things and get the app catalog up to snuff. You can say it is carrier testing, but what is happening in that testing for such a delay. I've done tech testing for telco carriers and problems found delay launches. BlackBerry should have focused on delivering a product capable of everything BBOS could do, plus the greater app support, and go out from there. Instead it appears they focused on making an Android or iOS like device with a hub and gestures, and they might try to work back in the loved BBOS features that made a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.

I'm still hoping they will work BIS back in based on the patent application of kicking in BIS-like functionality under roaming or low bandwidth available conditions, at least to people who want that that. As much as BIS has been bashed by the uninformed BB users and the iOS and Android fanboys, many BB power users valued and need that type of functionality that EAS support can't duplicate. What I wanted and have been waiting for is a BlackBerry with great app, web, and media support. What has been brought to the table, based on all my reading up on BB10, is a device that has Android/iOS grade communication capability, a good concept of the hub and gestures, great app capabilty (with lack of great apps), great web browser, but missing or crippled basic BB functionality. Hoping they are working on an update to at least get Bedside mode and nofications up to snuff by March US launch. Based on the lack of massive products even in the launched markets, it is clear that the January 30 launch was more symbolic than true launch IMHO.
    02-18-13 08:42 AM
    I am not launching an attack on BlackBerry and I Do like the interface and the hub. The OS reminds me of the hp veer Web OS which I still have and use as a spare phone. But if BlackBerry wants to compete I do not see the advantage it offers over other platforms and in their target is only us old BlackBerry fans we would not account to much market share.
    By the way I got it Because it is different but at what price!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zaki67; 02-19-13 at 04:15 AM.
    stillpointworks likes this.
    02-18-13 08:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Gladly.
    The PB OS was not finished. It was not for me, so I returned it.
    If and when the Z10 reflects the legacy of what a BB was, it will be finished. Until such a time I will consider it an experiment that was not for me. It lacks too much of what I want in a BB. For me, the Z10 is a step backwards in terms of functionality wrapped within a new navigation system. As such, for me, it is not worth jumping on it at launch. I've got other BB and non BB phones that do exactly what I want them to do how I want it done.
    I return to my statement that for what I want, this phone is not done exactly like the PB was not done.
    Lyls and jdhooghe like this.
    02-18-13 08:53 AM
    The phone is finished, the OS is clearly not. Notifications and the customization of them, crippled bedside mode, etc. are all key BB features that are missing. It seems obvious to me that the US launch is being delayed to finish some things and get the app catalog up to snuff. You can say it is carrier testing, but what is happening in that testing for such a delay. I've done tech testing for telco carriers and problems found delay launches. BlackBerry should have focused on delivering a product capable of everything BBOS could do, plus the greater app support, and go out from there. Instead it appears they focused on making an Android or iOS like device with a hub and gestures, and they might try to work back in the loved BBOS features that made a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.

I'm still hoping they will work BIS back in based on the patent application of kicking in BIS-like functionality under roaming or low bandwidth available conditions, at least to people who want that that. As much as BIS has been bashed by the uninformed BB users and the iOS and Android fanboys, many BB power users valued and need that type of functionality that EAS support can't duplicate. What I wanted and have been waiting for is a BlackBerry with great app, web, and media support. What has been brought to the table, based on all my reading up on BB10, is a device that has Android/iOS grade communication capability, a good concept of the hub and gestures, great app capabilty (with lack of great apps), great web browser, but missing or crippled basic BB functionality. Hoping they are working on an update to at least get Bedside mode and nofications up to snuff by March US launch. Based on the lack of massive products even in the launched markets, it is clear that the January 30 launch was more symbolic than true launch IMHO.
    I understand what you're saying but those are really just apps or functions, the OS is finished.

Now did people really expect BB10 to have everything BBOS had? For all I know maybe it's not even posibile, it is a brand new and more important, completely different os. Wasn't it BBOS architecture that kept back BlackBerry with reboots after app installs etc?

If everything was posibile they could've just built on top of it but obviously it wasn't since they started a whole new OS.

All I'm saying is don't be so quick to judge.

While individual notifications are missing I'm really enjoying the ability to quickly set the volume for all notifications by sliding a bar, simple.

Let's concentrate on what we have not on what we don't. After all, many functions were lost going from 4.5 to 5 to 6 to 7 and even 7.1 but nobody really complained, except me lol, I remember starting a thread about it.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 09:02 AM
    For the BIS people.

How many people left and swore to never come back when the NOC has gone down? I know it hasn't happened often but when it has it turned a lot of people off of bb. How many times have i heard people say the NOC slows everything down so i went with .... Because its much faster online?

To me the NOC seems to be one of the reasons many left.
    bluetroll, Bobcat665 and willie44 like this.
    02-18-13 09:07 AM
266 123 ...