2. Emails come in as fast as someone sends them to you. I've tested this many times over many days. In my line of work, I need them as quick as possible. You can't get them any faster than this.

Posted via CB10
    I get instant email notificatio & calendar updates as well, from my companies Exchange server on my Note2.
    02-18-13 03:29 PM
    I get instant email notificatio & calendar updates as well, from my companies Exchange server on my Note2.
    Is there a unified message box on Android?
    jarrodmeyer likes this.
    02-18-13 04:32 PM
    Is there a unified message box on Android?
    I have 4 email accounts that I track and all messages are displayed on one screen. So, if that is your definition of unified then ""yes". I don't want nor care to see twitter etc.. on the same screen as my emails
    02-18-13 04:36 PM
    The note 2 is so big it's obnoxious. Might as well hold up an iPad mini to your face.
    Vijik and samcully like this.
    02-18-13 04:41 PM
    The note 2 is so big it's obnoxious. Might as well hold up an iPad mini to your face.
    That is your opinion. Have you tried one. I thought the same, but after a few days, the size was a non issue. Again the phone you choose needs to meet your needs.
    02-18-13 04:45 PM
    Well the sg3 is too big so I'm making an educated assumption that the note 2 is too big as well lol
    Vijik likes this.
    02-18-13 05:00 PM
    If you want something that can accomplish pretty much anything, go with the Note 2. It is probably the best Android available at the moment, in terms of capability and productivity. No custom ROM's necessary. Simply slap a new launcher on it (like Nova launcher) and you have swipeable docks, gesture based controls, and a ton of options. Add something like GMD Gesture Control app to the mix, and you can have ALL the same gestures BB10 uses, PLUS a plethora more, for whatever need or want you may have. And for those concerned about having to use 2 hands, by implementing gestures, you can set up all your controls based on one hand.

Here's the catch however. If you're someone who just wants to pull something out of the box, and not put any time or effort into it, then Android certainly isn't for you. But if you're willing to put in the time to learn the OS, learn how to customize to your liking, and generally set it up how you want, then nothing beats Android imo. Other than a unified inbox, there is absolutely nothing that BB10 offers in capability that the Note 2 can't do, or exceed. You can run 2 apps simultaneously (3 if you want to watch a video as well), so if you're browsing the internet and an email comes thru, you can open up the email and still browse at the same time. Or better yet, if you get an email containing a pdf that may need your signature on, simply open the email, open the pdf (both on the same screen), sign the pdf from the phone, and send it back. No waiting to get to your computer, printing out the attachment, signing it, scanning it, and emailing it back. Boom. Done in no time. Here's a few great videos that demonstrate just how good the Note 2 is..

02-18-13 06:25 PM
    Wow guys, I'm happy this thread is this active...thanks for all the input and always good reading as long as the fanboy in us don't come out! lol.

It's going to be a real tossup for me. You make valid points for both. I am a big e-mailer and the android e-mail/G-mail app is not as clean and sharp as the BB, but with that being said, the note does tons of stuff and is a monster in its own right. Decisions, Decisions....Also there is a lot of talk about the Note 3 coming soon, with a 6" face, honestly that is too big, Note 2 pushes the envelope, anything bigger than that is way too much.

I don't upgrade until April, so I have time...wonder what type of leaps the BB10 will make by then.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-18-13 06:30 PM
    Or better yet, if you get an email containing a pdf that may need your signature on, simply open the email, open the pdf (both on the same screen), sign the pdf from the phone, and send it back. No waiting to get to your computer, printing out the attachment, signing it, scanning it, and emailing it back. Boom. Done in no time.
    Wow, i never thought of this...i sign documents a lot this would be insane!! Leaning towards this beast man, really am...
    02-18-13 06:33 PM
    Wow guys, I'm happy this thread is this active...thanks for all the input and always good reading as long as the fanboy in us don't come out! lol.

It's going to be a real tossup for me. You make valid points for both. I am a big e-mailer and the android e-mail/G-mail app is not as clean and sharp as the BB, but with that being said, the note does tons of stuff and is a monster in its own right. Decisions, Decisions....Also there is a lot of talk about the Note 3 coming soon, with a 6" face, honestly that is too big, Note 2 pushes the envelope, anything bigger than that is way too much.

I don't upgrade until April, so I have time...wonder what type of leaps the BB10 will make by then.
    If you're waiting til April, then i'd seriously check out the S4. At 5", its smaller than the Note 2, and should come with all the same multitasking greatness the Note 2 has (minus the Spen). There is even some new rumoured software including *Eye Scrolling* and *Eye Pausing* which could be pretty cool. Honestly, the only thing stopping me from the Note 2, is the impending S4 release.
    02-18-13 06:36 PM
    Wow, i never thought of this...i sign documents a lot this would be insane!! Leaning towards this beast man, really am...
    Another option to consider, if you don't mind carrying 2 devices, is getting the Z10, and the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. I have the tablet, and the amount i've used the pdf signature feature has made it, hands down, the best tablet i've owned. This way, you get all the goodness of the Note, plus the Z10 goodness as well
    randall2580 and BB_Junky like this.
    02-18-13 06:39 PM
    Another option to consider, if you don't mind carrying 2 devices, is getting the Z10, and the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. I have the tablet, and the amount i've used the pdf signature feature has made it, hands down, the best tablet i've owned. This way, you get all the goodness of the Note, plus the Z10 goodness as well
    I'd agree with this. Just as Rick mentioned earlier, Android doesn't reach its fullest potential if you use it as-is out of the box. If I had to put a number on it I'd rate the Android experience as at least a 50% better after you learn how to customize it over using it as-is. What you need to do is decide if that's the kind of phone experience that suits you.

As far as the note2 goes, at this point in time you might as well just wait. March to May is when all the most recent Androids are hitting the carriers.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-18-13 06:57 PM
    I have a Note 2, Z10 and Lumia 920. They're all great devices. A few comments in defense of the Note 2:

Stock Android Email Apps -- I use AquaMail for my email. It's versatile, has a 'unified inbox' so that I can view new messages from all four of my accounts in one place, and it has a ton of features. It doesn't bring in twitter and facebook, but I wouldn't want it to do that. I use widgets for that. The point with Android is that you have choices for almost everything. If you don't like the included apps, download better ones from the market.

Size -- It is what it is. It's great for getting stuff done and for seeing without squinting. It works well as a reader.

S-Pen -- Great! I thought it was gimmicky at first, and didn't use the one that came with my original Note/Note 1. Now I love it. I use it to annotate (write, highlight, underline, etc) PDF files, to jot down notes (even has handwriting recognition), to navigate web pages, etc. It's outstanding.

Build Quality -- I'd say that this is on par with the Z10. It feels good in the hand, but you will get a bit of 'play' in the casing over time (not much, but definitely noticeable)

Versatility -- This phone is more versatile than the Z10. No contest. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't spent enough time with an Android device and really combed through the market. It's full of apps that can make the phone do exactly what you want it to do. If I need only one phone that will do whatever I need at work for the day, it's the Note 2. It's my workhorse, do-everything phone. I even have it set up to work with more gestures than the Z10. All my apps are a swipe away, no matter what screen I'm on. My speed-dial list is also a swipe away, no matter what screen I'm on. It's just so customizable.

Battery -- Before the most recent update my Note 2 could last over a day (i.e. >24hrs) on a charge. Since the most recent update it lasts me a day (as in 20-24 hrs). I often work 24-hr shifts so this is important.

That's a lot of big-ups for the Note 2, but only because there are so many people who claim to have used 'Android' and found it lacking. You can make an Android device (assuming that it's powerful enough) do almost anything you want, and behave almost any way you want. The ability of the OS is remarkable. The way my Note 2 is set up, it's leaps and bounds more efficient than the Z10. There is absolutely zero comparison. I can get to any app (not just my active or recently used apps) from anywhere with just a swipe (no need to get back to the homescreen). I can place a call to any of my nine speed-dial numbers from anywhere with a single swipe. From the homescreen I can launch my calendar, web browser, notification manager, email or settings apps with a single swipe (one or two-fingers). It's incredible for efficiency. BB had a chance to do away with app icon grids and go all-in on gesture-based device navigation, but they chose to go only part-way. With Android you have the choice to set it up as you like (eg. go fully gesture-based as I have).

All of that said, though, the Z10 is a great device. I did a 24-hr yesterday and that's the phone I took with me. It didn't last the entire shift, but it did admirably. I bought it because I like fiddling around with phones, and I really wanted to give BB10 a go. I haven't been disappointed in the least. Would I give up my Note 2? Not a chance. Would I give up my Z10? Not a chance. They're both *that* good. I would throw the Lumia 920 in there, too. It's a wonderful device. Where it has been let down is the App support (eg. there's still not even a *good* PDF reader available for Windows phone 8, yet), but hopefully that will come. Of the three, my rankings are as follows:

-Versatility (i.e. 'jack-of-all-trades-ness'): Note 2 > Z10 > Lumia 920
    -Build Quality: Lumia 920 > Z10 > Note 2
    -OS smoothness: Lumia 920 > Z10 > Note 2
    -App Support: Note 2 >>> Z10 > Lumia 920
    -Phone Calls: Z10 > Lumia 920 = Note 2
    -Battery Life: Note 2 >> Lumia 920 > Z10
    -Customizability: Note 2 >>> Lumia 920 >> Z10

If I had the same apps and could perform all of the same tasks that I need to perform on each platform (i.e. ability was equal on all devices) which phone would I use?

The Lumia 920!

The Lumia 920's hardware is gorgeous to look at, the device feels incredible in the hand (it's the only true premium phone of the three IMO), and Windows Phone 8 is as smooth as silk on the Nokia hardware. It's a bit cumbersome getting some tasks done, but it's otherwise great.

Second choice?

Z10!

Yes, the Note 2 *would* round out the pack in third place *if and only if* all of the apps that I use on my Note 2 were available and just as good on the other two devices. The Note 2 is presently my go-to phone because of its ability. At present, Android is the most flexible mobile OS (IMO) and of the Android-based devices, the Note 2 has the best mix of form and function for my purposes. Its hardware is powerful, the battery is massive, and it competently showcases the range of abilities of the Android OS. It's absolutely phenomenal. Windows phone and BB10 will get there, too, but they're playing catchup.

Here are screenshots of my lock and home screens:
    Attached Thumbnails Next phone - Galaxy Note 2 or Z10?  Input from Note 2 users would be helpful!-home_zpsf3b8d776.jpg   Next phone - Galaxy Note 2 or Z10?  Input from Note 2 users would be helpful!-lock_zps131db0d1.jpg  
    Last edited by zc1; 02-19-13 at 12:12 AM.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-18-13 11:20 PM
    You get the Note2 if you want a gigantic (and I mean HUGE) phone thats having an identity crisis and wants to be a tablet. You get the Blackberry if you want a communication device.
    02-19-13 01:09 AM
    You get the Note2 if you want a gigantic (and I mean HUGE) phone thats having an identity crisis and wants to be a tablet. You get the Blackberry if you want a communication device.
    Interesting. Is that why if I search for a business in Google on my Blackberry Z10 I can't simply then click the phone number to dial it (Nb: I can on my Note)? The Note 2 is a far better communication device than you realize. I can link it to my tablet and use SMS/MMS on my tablet as well. I can link my Note 2 to my desktop or laptop via WiFi or bluetooth and use my desktop to send and receive SMS/MMS as well. Android has had a lot of time to cook and is probably far more well-developed than you realize. BB10 is still playing catchup in a lot of areas.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-20-13 02:40 PM
    Nothing against the Note but man that is a mammoth phone. Everyone has their own preference. I came from an S3 and got used to the 4.8" screen. Still a tad large for me when trying one handed tasks. I thought going to a 4.2" screen with the Z10 wouldn't fly but I absolutely love the size. 4.2" is perfect like the GS2 was. I really did like Android and doing the customizations etc. I loaded Roms all the time. Kinda got addicted to it. But I tell you this, I love the Z10. I have no regrets at all selling my S3. Love the UI, the Hub, screen is mint. The S4 is supposed to have a 4.99" screen. Won't go there. I am extremely happy to make my way back to Blackberry.
    02-20-13 02:55 PM
    I agree. The Z10 is a great device. I wasn't arguing that it wasn't. As I said, above,

"I haven't been disappointed in the least. Would I give up my Note 2? Not a chance. Would I give up my Z10? Not a chance. They're both *that* good."

I was just making the point that the Note 2 is also a great device, and that people who say otherwise typically haven't actually invested a lot of time playing with one and/or have ruled it out simply because it's large. It's like saying not only will you not be friends with the new kid in the class, but in fact you dislike him (even though you actually know nothing about him other than his name and the fact that he's the new kid).

I like mobile tech and enjoy trying out different devices and operating systems. I currently have and use a Lumia 920, Note 2 and Z10 (all three are sitting in front of me on my desk right now) and have spent a significant amount of time using each of them. None of them is perfect, and it's unnecessarily bold/zealous to claim that one rules the others as 'as a communication device,' for example.

My point is that it's great to love your BlackBerry, but people need to stay grounded in reality. (Yes, the blind android fanatics are just as bad)
    02-20-13 04:38 PM
    You should check out the Lumia 920 too. I have absolutely no regrets getting this phone.. Best purchase in a long long time. Only drawback is that I can't bridge it with my playbook
    Sent from my RM-821_apac_singapore_293 using Board Express
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-20-13 04:54 PM
    You should check out the Lumia 920 too.
    Truth.

As I mentioned in my post in another thread, of the three phones that I am presently using (Note 2, Z10, Lumia 920), if they all had all of the same capabilities (including all the same apps) then my first choice would be the Lumia 920 -- beautiful hardware, smooth OS, most premium-feeling device of the three. App availability is its weakest point, IMO. As an example, Windows Phone 8 still doesn't have a *good* pdf reader. The Microsoft-Provided app allows me to view my files, but doesn't support the bookmarks already present in them (although it will let me add new ones), doesn't allow for annotating documents, and doesn't support internal links within documents to allow jumping from one page to another. The PDF readers for the Z10 (RepliGo) and Note 2 (EZ PDF Reader) are much more full-featured and support all of the above.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-20-13 05:20 PM
    This is a great thread. My wife is in a pickle for the Z10 or the N2. she likes the features for both but can get frustrated easily. I will be following this thread closely while she is deciding. Since the Z10 is not released yet the N2 is looking more promising for her.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    BlackBerry By Choice!
    02-20-13 05:27 PM
    +1.

Looks like that the identity crisis doesn't end with the device! (HUGE Samsung fans blogging on BlackBerry Z10 thread)

A friend of mine has Note 2, and he says it doesn't look good to hold that 5.5" block at his ear, but at least he gets less wind shield effect when he calls someone.

The HUB (easily accessible unified messaging screen with facebook messages, twitter messages, emails, gmails, texts, BBMs, Google Talk, phone calls, and other communication tools) is only on BB10. Its a huge advantage to have it. It doesn't help to write about it. You should own and use it to understand what others say.
    You don't get HUB on current or future phones like S4, Note3, or iPhone 6.

After 2 weeks of use, my Z10's predictive keypad shows MY words on the keys, and I now mostly flick up on the keys to write most of my emails. Z10 is THE communication device.
    world saviour likes this.
    02-20-13 06:26 PM
    +1.

Looks like that the identity crisis doesn't end with the device! (HUGE Samsung fans blogging on BlackBerry Z10 thread)

A friend of mine has Note 2, and he says it doesn't look good to hold that 5.5" block at his ear, but at least he gets less wind shield effect when he calls someone.

The HUB (easily accessible unified messaging screen with facebook messages, twitter messages, emails, gmails, texts, BBMs, Google Talk, phone calls, and other communication tools) is only on BB10. Its a huge advantage to have it. It doesn't help to write about it. You should own and use it to understand what others say.
    You don't get HUB on current or future phones like S4, Note3, or iPhone 6.

After 2 weeks of use, my Z10's predictive keypad shows MY words on the keys, and I now mostly flick up on the keys to write most of my emails. Z10 is THE communication device.
    The same can be said for swiftkey and swype on my Note 2. Swiftkey analyzes what you've typed previously and can analyze your email and text messages to figure out what you tend to type. It shows *my* words with each keypress (if I'm not swyping, instead) and allows me to type entire sentences just by picking from the predicted words rather than actually typing them. It's just as effective as the Z10 keyboard. Read the thread. It's not blind Samsung fan cheers. The 'big as a sailboard' comments are tired.

As I mentioned, I currently own a Z10, Lumia 920 and Note 2 and use all of them. There are advantages to each. The Z10 is not *THE* communication device, but it is very good. No one device can lay claim to that title. Additionally, the hype over Hub is exactly that. It's not a make/break feature.

There are several objective, unbiased posts in this thread. Ironically (considering your comments), yours is not among them.

Finally, "blogging on a Z10 thread?" Where to start... Are we blogging? Is this a Z10 thread? The OP was asking for opinions regarding the Z10 and Note 2. The comments were solicited and are not troll posts. They are appropriate. People looking for new phones right now are cross-shopping the latest and greatest. It's completely appropriate to come here and ask for opinions from people who have or have had both devices.
    Last edited by zc1; 02-20-13 at 06:50 PM.
    jdhooghe, Donvald and jammie123 like this.
    02-20-13 06:34 PM
    I can't comment on the Note 2 but as to the Z10 I've had it since February 5th and I haven't had to pull the battery or reboot once.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 06:36 PM
    I agree the Z10 or any phone is not "The" communication device. I do own the Z10 and have played around with my friends Samsung. Both excellent. Obviously my personal preference is the Z10. I just like the overall look and cleanness of the operating system. There is something to be said about simplicity when it comes to a phone I prefer. I find many phones out there have a gimmicky look and feel to them. Of course I can understand why people would go for that. Anyway, if your looking for a phone without the fluff and one that balances professionalism and pure fun, Z10 is for you.

Posted via CB10
    jarrodmeyer likes this.
    02-20-13 07:11 PM
    .... It shows *my* words with each keypress ....
    Android shows your words and many other words on the bar above the keypad (that is what PlayBook have). The bar above the keypad is not where you look when you type on the keypad. On Z10, your words are on the next key you plan to type. The next key is where you look. That makes big difference. If you had Z10 you would have known this by now.

Swype is the most confusing and worse key entering system to enter multi language text. That is why it is not used by most people. Don't even try to to compare it with the Z10, something you apparently haven't tried for more than few hours. "I own Z10, Lumia 920 and Note 2" just doesn't cut it when all your posts pointing toward something else.

And Android doesn't have the HUB, so Android fans (and "I own all these phones" guys) have to say on a BlackBerry Z10 thread that it is nothing special about it and they don't need it.
    02-20-13 07:13 PM
108 1234 ...