Just switched a new Z10 on. I managed to do the initial setup and connect to wifi. On the "Software Update" screen, it is stuck on "Checking for Updates". It doesn't find any updates and I have no way of skipping them. Just a blue circle, endlessly turning.

I have tried:

Leaving the phone to charge for hours to make sure the battery has enough juice.
    Removing battery and SIM overnight, then trying again.
    Switching it on without the SIM card.
    I've tried Blackberry Link - when I connect the phone is tells me that setup isn't complete. I ignored that and tried using Blackberry Link to "Reload Device Software". Nothing happens when I click the button.
    http://www.blackberry.com/updates - same as above. It tells me setup isn't complete.

This is the last-chance saloon for this phone - any ideas how to restore factory settings, given that every time I switch it on, it goes straight to the Software Update and I can't make it do anything else?

Help!
    08-07-13 05:25 AM
    Try connecting to a Wifi, in a good range, preferably unlocked wifi, and you can't swipe from left to right? Going back to the wifi setup?

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 05:29 AM
    I bought a new Z10 a couple of weeks ago and had exactly the same issue. Someone said it was because wifi wasn't set up correctly in the initial setup and that's why it won't connect to the update server? I thought I had set it up correctly though.

I got it working by connecting to Blackberry Link though which was the recommended solution. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure.

It was very frustrating.
    08-07-13 05:32 AM
    The only swipe I can do is a swipe down for emergency call. I can't swipe left, right or up, or return to a previous screen.
    08-07-13 05:33 AM
    I'm sure I set it up correctly.

Might try taking it out of range of this wifi, see if that helps.

So irritating. And I've got 30 of them sitting here in their boxes. I am dreading opening the others.
    08-07-13 05:37 AM
    Wow that sounds like a whole lot of messing about in store for you. Getting one working was enough of a headache.

I have to say it's a great phone once you get it going!
    08-07-13 05:40 AM
    Yeah, I know, I've had one for a few months. I like it.

This one's going back to the supplier. Let's just hope there aren't any more duff ones in this batch.
    08-07-13 05:48 AM
    Some other suggestions I've seen are: put a SIM card in it, turn your wifi router off and then on again if it gets stuck or just wait ages! Someone on another forum said the update completed after 5 hours! That is crazy.
    08-07-13 05:51 AM
    Life's too short.
    08-07-13 05:54 AM
    So far, 6 out of 25 Z10s have had the same error.

I install 10.1.0.4181, the phone reboots and I get "Checking for updates" - so far it's been checking for updates for nearly 20 hours, so I think it's safe to say it's not going to happen.

This is a pretty poor hit rate for new devices. 25% of them are unusable.
    08-08-13 03:35 AM
    Ditto here. Did the first update (+300Mb) and now stuck checking for more updates. Since it downloaded the first update, I know WiFi is fine. Sitting near my computer that gets +12MIPS WiFi connection.
    08-26-13 09:36 PM
    Another thread said you needed a provisioned SIM card in the phone for it to get past the reboot. They said the phone will not look for a WiFi network after the reboot until it has found a cell network. So, if true, it is a major issue for me. I need the phone to get past the start up so I can unlock it so my SIM card will work.
    08-26-13 10:12 PM
    I can confirm that by connecting the phone to BB Link and then telling Link to restore factory settings, I was able to get through the update process (not really the latest update) and get to the main phone screen.
    08-27-13 12:14 PM
    I couldn't even get that far - BB Link told me that setup wasn't complete, so it wouldn't open.

Phones went back to supplier as faulty.
    08-28-13 02:36 AM
    I couldn't even get that far - BB Link told me that setup wasn't complete, so it wouldn't open.

Phones went back to supplier as faulty.
    I had the phone turned off when I opened Link, if that makes a difference.
    08-28-13 08:50 AM
    Ha. Noted. Too late for me to try. Now, I just don't dare run any updates until setup is complete.

Part of me keep thinking to myself - could this have happened with a load of iPhones? Probably not.
    08-28-13 08:55 AM
    The key is as you say, don't run updates until you have setup the phone completely. Don't skip any part of the setup.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    08-28-13 09:22 AM
    Well, yes, all of that is true - but what a ridiculous carry on, having to skip updates when they are offered, in case it bricks your phone. It's not as if they're selling lorry loads of the things - and then the poor adventurous souls who take the plunge end up with this happening. Not good.

I so wanted them to succeed, too.
    08-28-13 09:35 AM
    Well, yes, all of that is true - but what a ridiculous carry on, having to skip updates when they are offered, in case it bricks your phone. It's not as if they're selling lorry loads of the things - and then the poor adventurous souls who take the plunge end up with this happening. Not good.

I so wanted them to succeed, too.
    Some ***** designer decided that every phone would have a SIM card installed before the phone was turned on. You know what happens when you assume something...BB never has had good testing strategies. You need non-programmers setting up the test systems so they can find ways to use the phone that no one else thought of. I run a software company and I am not on the design team but am on the testing team. I love breaking stuff and then pointing it out to the software guys. Makes for a competitive environment and much better code releases.
    08-28-13 09:51 AM
    It's not as though I went out of my way to break them.. I just switched them on and followed the prompts.

I like breaking stuff as much as the next man, but at least make it a bit more challenging than that.
    08-28-13 10:01 AM
    I had this same issue last night. Bought an unlocked Z10 STL-100-1 for my mom so she could use mainly in Latn America and Europe (no LTE but whatever)... replacing an old tour I had given her years ago.

I booted it up and after the initial BlackBerry ID login process it asked if I wanted to update, to which I said yes. After the download and install it was stuck "checking for updates" for a few hours.

Since her old BlackBerry had a standard sim (Vodafone Italia)... I popped in my Verizon sim and when it rebooted it proceeded to download the 3mb Verizon-specific patch (no option was given), and then it finished.

So... seems like it needs a sim to identify the carrier patch to download. Seems pretty silly, if they plan on selling 'factory unlocked' devices.

Anyway, the only thing I'm concerned about is if it also loaded a Verizon specific radio, which will not play nice with the 100-1.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 11:57 AM