So this is an unlocked, Verizon branded phone. I have a Playbook (and a 9330 that I've been using with Page Plus) and really like the Z10. I'm going to be doing some international traveling this summer, so bought a GSM compatible SIM online, charged it up, and installed it. The phone successfully roamed onto our local GSM network. I haven't used it though since the fees associated with using the world SIM are fairly stiff. This SIM has both an international and local phone number associated with it, but neither are "my" number.

The Z10 is so nice, I'd like to start using it rather than just leaving it on the shelf and continuing to use my 9330. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this. I guess I could transfer my "real" local number to Verizon and use the Z10 with that service, but what happens if I either don't remove the world sim? Or if I remove it, affiliate the phone with Verizon, and then put the SIM in?

The alternative would be to pull the world SIM, leave it on the shelf, and use the phone with a local GSM provider (ATT or T-mobile are the local GSM companies). But that would involve SIM swapping. If there's a way to have the Z10 to switch from GSM to CDMA and back again that would be ideal.

Any thoughts on what the best way to proceed would be? I've never had a phone that was both GSM and CDMA compatible.
    02-03-14 07:48 PM
    So this is an unlocked, Verizon branded phone. I have a Playbook (and a 9330 that I've been using with Page Plus) and really like the Z10. I'm going to be doing some international traveling this summer, so bought a GSM compatible SIM online, charged it up, and installed it. The phone successfully roamed onto our local GSM network. I haven't used it though since the fees associated with using the world SIM are fairly stiff. This SIM has both an international and local phone number associated with it, but neither are "my" number.

The Z10 is so nice, I'd like to start using it rather than just leaving it on the shelf and continuing to use my 9330. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this. I guess I could transfer my "real" local number to Verizon and use the Z10 with that service, but what happens if I either don't remove the world sim? Or if I remove it, affiliate the phone with Verizon, and then put the SIM in?

The alternative would be to pull the world SIM, leave it on the shelf, and use the phone with a local GSM provider (ATT or T-mobile are the local GSM companies). But that would involve SIM swapping. If there's a way to have the Z10 to switch from GSM to CDMA and back again that would be ideal.

Any thoughts on what the best way to proceed would be? I've never had a phone that was both GSM and CDMA compatible.

The problem with the STL100-4 is that it is very limited on GSM networks.

Generally speaking it will not get LTE service on other carriers whether GSM or CDMA.

And it only supports 2.5G on GSM - ie EDGE and UMTS, there is no HSPA/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+ support.
    02-03-14 08:54 PM
    Yup, the STL 100-4 is painful to travel with if you want any type of real data transfer. Verizon's Q10 does much better from my experience (traveling together with my wife... myself using the Z10 while she carried around a Q10).

And as far as your SIM card concerns... Verizon issues their own SIM for LTE now, so if you do transfer your number to them, you will have to use it.... that being said, nothing happens to your number when you switch it out for your world SIM, your local number just won't ring unless you put your local SIM in another device.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 09:06 PM
    Sounds like porting my local number to Verizon and using it with the Z10 is the best way to go...as far as international data, I don't really envision using all that much for now given the really high cost of using it on a world sim. Even right now, when I turn the phone on it says "You're roaming, do you want to use data" and I say no. I'm mainly interested in talk and text when I'm outside the country (and carry my playbook with me for wifi access to anything I want to do as far as heavy internet usage).

Sounds like I would have been better off with a different model if I was going to be overseas permanently but for these 1-2 week long trips I think it should work out ok.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    02-03-14 09:31 PM