I will try to explain what I have found!

We are all used to peeking to the left by now I am sure but did you know that if you put your finger on any item in the hub and keep it there it turns blue and a set of icons come out the right hand side.

There is a different set of instructions for each feature Calls, Text, BBM, etc.

For example in Calls put your finger on an outgoing call you made (until it turns blue) and five icons appear (to see what they do touch any of the black areas and they slide out and reveal their names.

Choose a Text you received and put your finger on it you will get a choice of 9 icons.

Choose an Email and you get 12 including File, Forward and Flag.

Also if you if you do the same with the blue date line you get a bunch of hidden functions too.

I have not seen any videos on these functions did I miss them or is this a find?

Kev this needs one of your Crackberry show and tell Videos to do it justice!

Have fun!

Ps. (Screen shots added below)
    Last edited by White9900; 02-13-13 at 07:02 PM.
    02-13-13 04:33 AM
    So, the press-and-hold action is an official, supported action to way to invoke the contextual menu as an alternative to tapping the three-dot menu buttom at the bottom-right corner of the screen. Both are meant to give you additional action options for the relevant on-screen item.

However, I am very glad you found this intuitively and that the options made immediate sense. This goes against several reviews that said that the user interface on BlackBerry 10 was "too hard" to figure out and that people "wouldn't get it."

tmaier and raremage like this.
    02-13-13 04:37 AM
    So, the press-and-hold action is an official, supported action to way to invoke the contextual menu as an alternative to tapping the three-dot menu buttom at the bottom-right corner of the screen. Both are meant to give you additional action options for the relevant on-screen item.

However, I am very glad you found this intuitively and that the options made immediate sense. This goes against several reviews that said that the user interface on BlackBerry 10 was "too hard" to figure out and that people "wouldn't get it."

No the three-dot menu is a different menu try it and you will see!

The Press-and-hold action produces a completely different set of functions.
    02-13-13 04:47 AM
    No the three-dot menu is a different menu try it and you will see!

The Press-and-hold action produces a completely different set of functions.
    Both the three dot menu and the long-press give you a contextual menu (from the right) that has two states: icons only and icons + text. The options in the menu depend on what's on the screen and where you're pressing-and-holding.

I *do* encourage everyone to try the actions that White9900 has pointed out if you haven't used them already. You'll be pleased like White9900. Also, try it on various parts of web sites in the BlackBerry 10 Browser (to open links in new tabs, download images, copy text and more).
    Last edited by b320; 02-13-13 at 05:10 AM.
    02-13-13 04:53 AM
    Also the Blue Date line separator produces a contextual menu (from the right) that makes 3 menus on the right!
    02-13-13 05:03 AM
    I have just noticed that all 3 of these Contextual menus work in the landscape too!

You just have to scroll down to access the functions like you do with the three-dot-menu.

What a device Blackberry Z10 Rocks
    02-13-13 05:21 AM
    For us non Z10 owners yet (I'm in the US), lets see some screen shots or videos!

:-)
    SDTRMG, b320 and 3hb78ftg like this.
    02-13-13 05:26 AM
    For us non Z10 owners yet (I'm in the US), lets see some screen shots or videos!

To take screen shots, press and hold both side volume keys (up and down) at the same time for about two seconds.
    02-13-13 05:31 AM

I think that should be down to Crackberry Kev he can run a news feature on it and do it justice!
    02-13-13 05:33 AM
    The long press is slightly different than the ellipsis (...). For example, if you are in a BBM group and you add that to the Hub, when you tap a notification from the BBM group in the Hub, it opens BBM. There is no ellipsis menu in that case. However, if you long press the BBM notice, you do get a context menu. There isn't much in that menu in this particular case, but that appears to be the only to get to it.
    02-13-13 05:35 AM
    I think that should be down to Crackberry Kev he can run a news feature on it and do it justice!
    But why should Kevin have all the fun? I vote that you grant Camelhmpz's request and post some screenshots of these actions. They *are* nifty.
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    02-13-13 05:36 AM
    The long press is slightly different than the ellipsis (...). For example, if you are in a BBM group and you add that to the Hub. When you tap a notification from the BBM group in the Hub, it opens BBM. There is no ellipsis menu in that case. However, if you long press the BBM notice, you do get a context menu. There isn't much in that menu in this particular case, but that appears to be the only to get to it.
    Agreed. You *don't* get the same menu actions and press-to-hold action and tap the menu button action are not interchangable but they both *do* invoke the contextual menu with options matching the context of the action.
    02-13-13 05:40 AM
    But why should Kevin have all the fun? I vote that you grant Camelhmpz's request and post some screenshots of these actions. They *are* nifty.
    I agree...he found it, he should be the one who gets the credit for it.
    Camelhmpz and b320 like this.
    02-13-13 05:50 AM
    Ok I got it, there are 3 Context Menus for each Function 1. Blue Press (long-Press) 2.. Blue Date Line Press (also long-Press) and 3.Ellipsis (three-dot-menu) here are the Srceen shots for the Notifications Function with each of the 3 menus on the right side of the Blackberry Z10.

As I said this works for all the functions namely Hub, Notifications, BBM, Email, Facebook Twitter Text Messages, and Calls

New Functions on the  Right Hand Side of the Hub in the Blackbery Z10 Lots of Them!-img_00000013.jpgNew Functions on the  Right Hand Side of the Hub in the Blackbery Z10 Lots of Them!-img_00000012.jpgNew Functions on the  Right Hand Side of the Hub in the Blackbery Z10 Lots of Them!-img_00000010.jpg

Have Fun.
    Last edited by White9900; 02-13-13 at 07:04 PM.
    b320, PatrickMJS and One_Cam like this.
    02-13-13 04:19 PM
    It seems from a couple of News Articles I have read Today namely one on Email the other on Speed Dial that the guys at Crackberry have missed this!

SO I AM GOING TO SPELL IT OUT EACH FUNCTION LIKE CALLS, EMAIL, TEXT, BBM, ETC. HAS 3 BLACK CONTEXTUAL ACTION MENUS 1. LONG PRESS 2. LONG PRESS DATE AND 3. THREE DOT (ELLIPSIS) EACH MENU HAS A DIFFERENT SET OF ICONS AND WHEN YOU PRESS ANYWHERE ON THE BLACK THEY POP OUT AND REVEAL THE NAME OF THE ICON WHILST REMAIMING ON SCREEN UNTIL YOU CHOOSE ONE OR TAP THE ORGINAL ITEM AGAIN.

PLEASE LOOK AT THESE FUNCTIONS BEFORE POSTING NEW NEWS ARTICLES AS YOU ARE MIS INFORMING US ON HOW TO USE THE BLACKBERRY Z10 .CORRECTLY, THANK YOU!
    SDTRMG and Camelhmpz like this.
    02-13-13 08:31 PM
    makes sense how this can be missed.

I've been using these menus since i got the phone on feb 5, i didnt bother to look at any videos on how to use my phone. i just used my basic knowledge of how touch devices work tap and hold usually opens up a whole new world. i tapped and held on everything untill i found what i couldn't see at first.

exploreeeee. i didnt even attempt to look at a manual of this phone yet, and it becomes more awesome every day.
    PatrickMJS and RECOOL like this.
    02-15-13 10:36 AM
    I thought this was obvious

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 10:38 AM
    thanks! holding reveals more options! also just found that in a text msg, if you hold on the recipients name at the top it opens an action to call the person.
    02-15-13 10:43 AM
    After the few posts I've read, it seems he just wants a little front page love? It is good useful information though, my Z10 should be arriving in about 2-3 hours!
    02-15-13 10:52 AM
    makes sense how this can be missed.

I've been using these menus since i got the phone on feb 5, i didnt bother to look at any videos on how to use my phone. i just used my basic knowledge of how touch devices work tap and hold usually opens up a whole new world. i tapped and held on everything untill i found what i couldn't see at first.

exploreeeee. i didnt even attempt to look at a manual of this phone yet, and it becomes more awesome every day.
    Got mine on the 2nd.I pretty much as you I just used my brain its all gesture based just instinctive to hold down on items its obvious there's no buttons of old.So some kind of click or hold down option would be on the OS.

I guess someones got to put it on blast.
    meganVee likes this.
    02-15-13 12:05 PM
    The best part of this is you can do the long press and right menu all in one movement without talking your finger off the screen. So slick and screams "Flow". Love it.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 03:02 PM
    Got mine on the 2nd.I pretty much as you I just used my brain its all gesture based just instinctive to hold down on items its obvious there's no buttons of old.So some kind of click or hold down option would be on the OS.
    Once again, the OS doesn't appear to be "too confusing" or "too difficult" for people new to BlackBerry 10 devices and who haven't had an extensive tutorial on the gestures.
    meganVee likes this.
    02-15-13 04:36 PM