hello all,

i recently got my hands on a new Z10 from work. Its a lovely phone and looks great, feels great. I had an iphone but grew tired of it and wanted to try something new...

its brilliant for email,calendaring etc and i have no complaints there.

problem is...the app store is very , very poor. the IT guys in work did say that the apps were quite limited but i didnt realise it would be this poor.

does anyone know what plans blackberry have to improve the range of apps ?.

thanks!
    playbookster and ibpluto like this.
    07-29-13 09:39 AM
    Welcome to cb. Glad you like your new z10 the app situation will take some time. The platform is only 6 months old, considering this they already have well over 100 000 apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:41 AM
    thanks...

i really like it and it works well.

i have found a few apps and they work ok.

hopefully, things will improve but the screen is great (nice and big).

it just seems that after getting this new phone that blackberry appears to be on the ropes, is this true ?.
    07-29-13 09:47 AM
    new OS, you will have to be patient ...but the apps are building rather quickly I think. Within a few short months there are over 120,000 apps (compared to 750,000 and change on iOS and Android), so all in all, not unrespectable.

What apps specifcially are you looking for? They could very well be available for sideload and there are some great tutorials on this site to sideload ....its is blindingly easy! My teenage daughter has a Z10 and I have sideloaded pretty much every app not available in BB world that she wanted (except for Vine). She has Instagram, Snapchat, Pintrest to name a couple.

Also, not sure what carrier you are with or wher eyou are, but make sure you have the latest software update (10.1), as some of the bigger name apps need that to show up in BB world (ie Skype)
    07-29-13 09:48 AM
    Hi bumpyjones!

Welcome to Crackberry. There's several ways you can install Android apps on BB10 but you'll have to spend a little bit of time to learn the methods and once you get it, you find it's a lot of fun.

Are you using a PC or Mac? I suggest to follow xsacha's YouTube tutorial whee it guides you through the process where you install almost all Android apps to BB10.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=817781
    Or
    http://www.qtness.com/blog/?p=239

I haven't been successful at installing on my niece's MacBook but with Windows I know the procedures quite well even with my eyes close I guess

If you get stuck with anything don't hesitate to post here and I'll be more than happy to assist and I'm pretty sure there are tons of CrackBerrians who would love to give you a hand too.

Also people you have an Android device could download the files for you and CB nation has this link where you can request for the latest version of Tango, Viber, Instagram etc.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=826415

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:49 AM
    Definitely take a look at side loading apps.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    07-29-13 09:51 AM

it just seems that after getting this new phone that blackberry appears to be on the ropes, is this true ?.
    no debt, $3 billion in the bank, new OS that JUST launched, and strong sales in Canada, UK, UAE and South Africa. I think the reports of BB's death are greatly exagerated, but if you lived int eh US and didn;t look deeper into it you would certainly think that. It's perception in the US that is holding things back, hopefully BB's marketing think-tank can figure out a way to change that mind set. I know here in Canada, BB is rolling quite nicely.
    07-29-13 09:51 AM
    What apps were you looking for?

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:53 AM
    hi everyone and thanks for your replies,

Im in Ireland and am on the O2 network.

in terms of apps, i was thinking of sky go, sky sports football, not many banking apps are available but id like the AIB banking app too.
    all of the main banking apps are available for android/apple, but dont seem to be for blackberry10.

ive got the latest software available alright.
    07-29-13 09:54 AM
    I'm still waiting for RBC but the browser is has been sufficient for the time being.

For the other apps. I'd check if you can find them to sideload. It ain't hard to do.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 10:13 AM
    hi everyone and thanks for your replies,

Im in Ireland and am on the O2 network.

in terms of apps, i was thinking of sky go, sky sports football, not many banking apps are available but id like the AIB banking app too.
    all of the main banking apps are available for android/apple, but dont seem to be for blackberry10.

ive got the latest software available alright.
    I would poke around here and get aquainted with sideloading for some of the social, game and sport apps.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...eloading-f279/

As for Banking apps, you could try using the browser and go to the banks mobile site, AIB has one and it looks pretty good. Many of the Banking apps are just launchers anyway. You could save the bookmark to the home screen. In the case of the AIB, when you launch the mobile site (Link: m.aib.ie), and then select "save bookmark to home screen" it gives you a really neat looking home screen icon so it looks just like an app anyway.

I would navigate to the log in page, then save bookmark to home screen, so that when you tap the icon it takes you to the log in page.
    07-29-13 10:24 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Glad you're enjoying your new Z10. I'm not much of a side-loader but I've found alternatives for almost every missing application that I've wanted.

Pinterest - Check out App for Pinterest
    Instagram - check out built-in photo editor or Photo Studio Pro (These don't allow upload to Instagram. I just use the browser for that.)
    Banking Apps - The browser on this phone is so good that I don't even need an app. I just mark my bank and credit card sites as favorites and voila!
    Pandora - check out Slacker Radio and iHeartRadio. You can also load and run Pandora flawlessly in the browser.
    Shazam - check out Sound Hound (I actually think it is better than Shazam).

I also encourage you to send feedback to the applications that you want to see on BB10. Let them know that you love your BlackBerry and really want to see their application included in BlackBerry World. Application development is an investment. Vendors need to hear from BB10 users repeatedly so that they know the money they spend on development is worthwhile and will increase their customer base. The more people ask for these apps, the more likely the developers will be to listen and respond.
    07-29-13 10:29 AM
    Or even better go get shortcut creator and make your self an icon on your home screen that directly takes u 2 your banking page.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 10:30 AM
    What kind of apps are you looking for?

"limited" is a relative term... as is "poor".

Are you looking for games? Banking apps? Productivity apps? Navigation? Office tools?

hello all,

i recently got my hands on a new Z10 from work. Its a lovely phone and looks great, feels great. I had an iphone but grew tired of it and wanted to try something new...

its brilliant for email,calendaring etc and i have no complaints there.

problem is...the app store is very , very poor. the IT guys in work did say that the apps were quite limited but i didnt realise it would be this poor.

does anyone know what plans blackberry have to improve the range of apps ?.

thanks!
    07-29-13 10:36 AM
    thanks all, im familiar with sideloading and have got some stuff from goodereader. are there any other sites i can apps to sideload from ?.

yeah, the browser is really , really good on the z10. best browser i have used
    07-30-13 09:07 AM