Hey guys,

I stumbled upon this today.

Netflix will switch from Silverlight to HTML5, explains what it's waiting for first

Basically its says that Netflix is going to switch from Silverlight to HTML5. Not sure if people still care, but interesting nonetheless. Should be no excuse for Blackberry devices not to be able to use it now, unless Netflix blocks us.
    CDM76 and pallav_gupta like this.
    04-17-13 04:12 PM
    I guess its just me, but i don't get this preoccupation with NetFlix. Why would anybody really care about NetFlix on a 4.5 inch screen? does anyone really watch a full length movie on a phone?

I use NetFlix, but i watch it on my 60" plasma. 4.5 inch screens are for reading the news and looking at the occasional picture. Nice as the Z10 display is, they leave a bit to be desired for any video longer than about 5 minutes.
    04-17-13 04:23 PM
    Interesting. Maybe there will be word soon.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:23 PM
    I guess its just me, but i don't get this preoccupation with NetFlix. Why would anybody really care about NetFlix on a 4.5 inch screen? does anyone really watch a full length movie on a phone?

I use NetFlix, but i watch it on my 60" plasma. 4.5 inch screens are for reading the news and looking at the occasional picture. Nice as the Z10 display is, they leave a bit to be desired for any video longer than about 5 minutes.
    Because somw people like watching stuff on the go. Also it has an hdmi output.

Posted via CB10
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    04-17-13 04:33 PM

In all honesty it doesn't affect me either. I'm just sick of hearing people find anything to talk down Blackberry.
    04-17-13 04:42 PM
    Because some people like watching stuff on the go. Also it has an hdmi output.

Posted via CB10
    Well point taken I suppose.
    04-17-13 04:42 PM
    Great find. None of these threads listed here made any mention of it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/search....archid=6152050
    q649 and sparkaction like this.
    04-17-13 04:48 PM
    ^^^ Like he said.

Netflix already HAS an HTML5 client. That's how they implemented their client for the Chromebooks, and apparently it works just dandy, but they've given no indication whatsoever that they're interested in adapting this for BB10.
    04-17-13 04:51 PM
    Means I get to take Doctor Who anywhere! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    04-17-13 04:56 PM
    04-17-13 05:02 PM
    My TV typically has My Little Pony or Scooby Doo on it. Meanwhile, I can watch more adult stuff on my Playbook. But, for now, I have to rip movies to MP4 format from Netflix DVDs first. Also, commute time is time to catch up on old Doctor Who episodes. Other than that, I have no time to sit still in front of the TV anyway.
    04-17-13 05:03 PM
    Thats awesome for those with Netflix accounts.
    04-17-13 05:05 PM
    Well not necessarily a movie, I'd just watch an episode or two of a show if I'm on the go, I don't see who would watch a movie on a 4.2 inch screen either.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 05:09 PM
    Well better late than never. Though it doesn't matter to me. It's Skype that I want.

But any ways its good news.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 05:14 PM
    Means I get to take Doctor Who anywhere! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Or better, TNG!

Posted via CB10
    KMB4 likes this.
    04-17-13 05:27 PM
    ^^^ Like he said.

Netflix already HAS an HTML5 client. That's how they implemented their client for the Chromebooks, and apparently it works just dandy, but they've given no indication whatsoever that they're interested in adapting this for BB10.
    So NetFlix has a client for Chromebooks, but doesn't think the size of the BB user base warrants a client?
    04-17-13 05:30 PM
    Required plugins

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    04-17-13 05:30 PM
    NETFLIX has said over and over, it will NOT SUPPORT bb10... There will never be a native app.

You will always have to sideload
    04-17-13 05:40 PM
    NETFLIX has said over and over, it will NOT SUPPORT bb10... There will never be a native app.

You will always have to sideload
    I think OP's point is that it could run in the browser when silverlight is eliminated, assuming Netflix doesn't actively block BlackBerry browsers...which, given how things seem to be going, is probably a pretty big assumption.

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    04-17-13 05:50 PM
    I have a frickin' alarm clock that has native Netflix client on it, I don't understand why Netflix would never support BB10.
    04-17-13 05:58 PM

My thoughts exactly. Agree with you 1000%
    04-17-13 06:06 PM

See picture taken at hotel for more reasons why:
    Netflix (at last?!)-img_00000017.jpg

BBX-I Said it!
    04-17-13 06:18 PM
    ^^^ Like he said.

This is actually one of the things that cracks me up about Netflix.

Chromebooks aren't selling... AT ALL.

BlackBerry has likely sold more Z10s by the end of June than Google and its partners will have sold Chromebooks over the last 2.5 years.

But BB is "too small to bother with" and "not a significant opportunity" -- not even getting an Android port -- while Chromebook gets development resources.

Once again the myopia of Silicon Valley blinds it to economic reality. Google is "cool and local," so it gets the dev bucks, even though BB is far more ubiquitous.
    04-17-13 06:24 PM
    Well for some reason people stare at me with strange looks when I attempt to take my 60" plasma with me to the waiting room of my DR's office, or when I am on a line, or sitting on the bus, or at the airport lounge.
    ihys and eldricho like this.
    04-17-13 06:33 PM
    Sloppy, you said it best. Your post should put this 'issue' to rest.
    Sloppy likes this.
    04-17-13 06:34 PM
66 123