Netflix makes a Chromebook app, and a Windows Phone 8 app.

Windows Phone 8 is all but dead in the US market, where Netflix gets most of its revenue. Nokia, who has over 85% share of Windows Phone, barely sold 400,000 phones in the entire US last quarter, across all carriers -- BB Z10 will blow those sales away.

Clearly, Netflix isn't practicing what it preaches, if they're claiming that BB10 isn't worth the effort but Chromebooks and WP8 are.
    Netflix doesn't make a chromebook app. I have a chromebook and their "app" is just a link to their website. Chrome OS barely has any true apps, only the ones built by Google.

I agree that Windows Phones aren't selling well in the US but the platform has been out longer and so far has more subscribers than BB10. Microsoft does have a lot of muscle though so that could have tipped the scale.

The silver lining is that the fact that Netflix supports WP8 is a good omen for them to eventually support BB10. I would be very surprised if they don't at the very least release an android port by the middle of the year if BB10 sales are decent.
    04-18-13 11:31 PM
    I guess its just me, but i don't get this preoccupation with NetFlix. Why would anybody really care about NetFlix on a 4.5 inch screen? does anyone really watch a full length movie on a phone?

I use NetFlix, but i watch it on my 60" plasma. 4.5 inch screens are for reading the news and looking at the occasional picture. Nice as the Z10 display is, they leave a bit to be desired for any video longer than about 5 minutes.
    Now I'll be able to watch ****ty B movies and 70s TV shows on my 60"by hooking my Z10 up to it!

Posted via CB with my BB10 Z10
    Sloppy and ppeters914 like this.
    04-18-13 11:40 PM
    Parents need Netflix so their children can watch a screen instead of having to actually watch over their kid and you know...be a parent.

I'm sure some youth need it so they can have yet another reason to ignore their friends across the table or sitting beside them.

Some adults need Netflix so they have something to use as an excuse to sit in the toilet longer and get paid while at work daily.

We all have our reasons whether they matter or not.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 02:02 AM
    I guess its just me, but i don't get this preoccupation with NetFlix. Why would anybody really care about NetFlix on a 4.5 inch screen? does anyone really watch a full length movie on a phone?

I use NetFlix, but i watch it on my 60" plasma. 4.5 inch screens are for reading the news and looking at the occasional picture. Nice as the Z10 display is, they leave a bit to be desired for any video longer than about 5 minutes.
    Pretty much the same as having a sun/moon roof on your car, you hardly ever use it but that one time you want to, you want to know you can. Besides, every and I mean every other smartphone and tablet has it.
    04-19-13 09:55 AM
    Not to mention lugging and plugging in that 60" plasma to a hotel TV. Very awkward.

And why is that everyone who uses that line has a 60" TV? Seriously... it's always "who watches Netflix on a phone screen? I have a 60" at home." Never 55. Never 47.

Is 60" the approved dimension in the Netflix Rebuttal Guidebook for BB10?
    If it makes you feel better, I also think netflix on a small screen is stupid but my tv is only 59" (Samsung PN59D7000)
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    04-19-13 10:12 AM
    So NetFlix has a client for Chromebooks, but doesn't think the size of the BB user base warrants a client?
    The irony is not lost on me.
    04-19-13 10:30 AM
    The irony is not lost on me.
    Netflix doesn't have an app for Chromebooks. I have a chromebook, their "app" is just a link to their website. Let's not spread false information around, that is not like Crackberry now is it?
    04-19-13 10:36 AM
    Netflix doesn't have an app for Chromebooks. I have a chromebook, their "app" is just a link to their website. Let's not spread false information around, that is not like Crackberry now is it?
    There's no reason they couldn't do a similar thing with the Z10, considering the robustness of the browser.

It took development resources to optimize the "app" for Chrome OS and get it out there. Meanwhile, they're not willing to put those resources into Z10, even a simple upload of their Android app to BB for a repackaging and upload to BB World.
    04-19-13 10:44 AM
    There's no reason they couldn't do a similar thing with the Z10, considering the robustness of the browser.

It took development resources to optimize the "app" for Chrome OS and get it out there. Meanwhile, they're not willing to put those resources into Z10, even a simple upload of their Android app to BB for a repackaging and upload to BB World.
    Well if they are transitioning to HTML5 then wouldn't that be able to be played on the Z10 browser?

You can then just add the Netflix website link to your Z10 home screen and it would be the same as the chromebook "app".
    04-19-13 10:48 AM
    I had a Netflix account last year and it was awful! Selection is woeful and the playback quality nothing to write home about. Before I continue I am talking about Canadian Netflix, I understand the US site is somewhat better, especially in selection.

Watching movies on a 4.5" screen is not as bad as some make out. I ripped Wreck-It-Ralph from Blu-Ray to my Z10 and watched it on a flight home, the quality was amazing!
    04-19-13 12:05 PM
    The rationalizing that happens here for not having Netflix is absurd. Yes, watching Netflix on a 60 inch TV is better and more awesome than your 4.5 inch phone. But are you dragging your 60 inch TV on the subway with you? Are you plugging headphones into it when your child is sleeping next to you and wanted to watch a movie? Netflix and pretty much every other app exists on smartphones because of convenience. So you can do things and use services when you are MOBILE. Entertainment, productivity, relaxation, information consumption, etc. To be a functioning BB10 ecosystem, you need apps like Netflix so it can work on any BB10 device from your 4.5 inch phone to maybe someday a 10 inch tablet.

Think about and apply the same rationalization to other things on your phone:

- Why have email on my phone when I can use email on my desktop computer at home/work?
    - Why listen to music on my phone when I can listen to it on my sweet Bose system at home?
    - Why read a book on the Kindle app when I am traveling when I lug around the print version and read that instead?
    - Why play a word search game on my phone when I can just play one in the newspaper?
    - Why use the phone's alarm clock when I have one at home or one I can lug with me when I travel?

etc, etc
    04-19-13 12:34 PM
    What is with these idiots that make comments about Netflix. " I just can't imagine watching that program on a 4.5 inch screen I prefer to watch on my 60". How very clever is that! Good idea I will pack my 60" to work with me while I'm mobile at work etc. I'm starting to see a multitude of people riding the bus with 60 inch screens. Hey people this why it's called a mobile. Remember the old ghetto blasters? then some smart inventor came up with a Sony Walkman. Omg! Wtf is this world coming to.

Posted via CB10
    Lendo likes this.
    04-19-13 01:50 PM
    Think about and apply the same rationalization to other things on your phone:

- Why have email on my phone when I can use email on my desktop computer at home/work?
    - Why listen to music on my phone when I can listen to it on my sweet Bose system at home?
    - Why read a book on the Kindle app when I am traveling when I lug around the print version and read that instead?
    - Why play a word search game on my phone when I can just play one in the newspaper?
    - Why use the phone's alarm clock when I have one at home or one I can lug with me when I travel?

etc, etc
    OMG!!! We've been had!
    04-19-13 02:55 PM
    And why is that everyone who uses that line has a 60" TV? Seriously... it's always "who watches Netflix on a phone screen? I have a 60" at home." Never 55. Never 47.

Is 60" the approved dimension in the Netflix Rebuttal Guidebook for BB10?
    I only have a 46-inch Samsung LED. I feel so..... inadequate......sniff......
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    04-19-13 02:56 PM

i am sure some have posted but when we are out for dinner etc, easier to bring a small phone to entertain our child with netflix than ripping a bunch of movies into our phone...
    04-19-13 02:58 PM
    I have an Exynos based Chromebook, and I am thrilled to death to now get Netflix via HTML5. I have been a loyal PlayBook user also for years. The way Google was able to convince Netflix to totally switch from Microsoft Silverlight to HTML5 for just the small percentage of Exynos based Chromebook owners, like myself...but BlackBerry has NOT been able to get Netflix to support their devices tells me there are politics involved. It clearly is not a numbers game.
    04-20-13 07:46 AM
66 123