Enable desktop mode on your z10. then go to http://www.youtube.com/YouTubeMoviesCA?feature=guide

and watch movies
    03-11-13 06:30 PM
    Enable desktop mode on your z10. then go to http://www.youtube.com/YouTubeMoviesCA?feature=guide

and watch movies
    Thanks....doesnt really help the whole netflix issue though...
    03-11-13 07:19 PM
    03-11-13 07:55 PM
    Honestly, this seems worthy of an antitrust lawsuit. Doesn't Netflix have a monopoly on paid video streaming service? If so, they can't arbitrarily choose not to support a platform by at least opening their APIs to the company/third party developers. They literally support everything from PSP Vita to Nintendo products to PS3 to every mobile OS (INCLUDING Windows Phone!) except for Blackberry. WTF?
    Even if Netflix is a monopoly, which it isn't, it would still be given a lot of latitude when it comes to how it distributes its own product. There is very little chance that anything will ever happen to make Netflix work on the Z10.

You would think that Netflix would create a z10 app because it is in its interest to do so. Obviously we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. That is what is driving the situation.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 09:57 AM
    Netflix and Google's actions are an attempt to (partially) disentangle the mess around DRM, and to enable open platforms like HTML5 to be on level playing ground with the walled gardens.
    The key is a new extension to HTML5 called "Encrypted Media Extensions" . RIMM implementing it using one of the DRM systems that popular content distributors support (e.g. PlayReady) in a robust fashion would allow content distributors to run their apps on that platform - without having to rely on proprietary extensions or plugins like Silverlight.
    03-12-13 11:43 AM
    It's starting to sound like the no adobe on iphone scenario, I'm starting to think that there is some issue between BlackBerry and Netflix and they are purposely making it so BlackBerry can't access it

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 12:05 PM
    Anti trust violations might be something to look in to, where is BlackBerry legal team at!? Hire a summer student to write up your brief, I would do it for free if they hired me lol

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 12:07 PM
    It's starting to sound like the no adobe on iphone scenario, I'm starting to think that there is some issue between BlackBerry and Netflix and they are purposely making it so BlackBerry can't access it

Posted via CB10

Yes, there is. Cash.
    03-12-13 12:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    OMG - how many times does this need to be repeated? There is likely nothing technical preventing any current BlackBerry including the Z10, the PlayBook and the BlackBerry 7 devices from playing streaming video content on Netflix. They are all capable of playing video content and streaming video content.

And it's trivial to convert video content to a format that a device can read. As I've said before, I routinely convert videos with Handbrake to run on any of my mobile devices. I always use the default iPhone setting. Works on my PlayBook. Works on my iPhone. Worked on my Bold 9900 when I had it.

If Netflix felt so compelled to have Netflix on BlackBerry, the video format or streaming is not the problem. It's commitment of resources to develop, update and support the app. End of story. If they were willing to do that (ie. RIM paid them or they saw the opportunity), I'm sure you could see a Netflix app running on BlackBerry 10, PlayBook and the current BlackBerry smartphones. And it would go about getting that (non Silverlight) content through an App.

The Flash/iPhone situation was different. Jobs didn't like Flash as a technology, feeling it caused crashes and would compromise battery life and performance issues on a mobile device. Specific technical concerns.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 03-12-13 at 12:34 PM.
    03-12-13 12:22 PM
    Jobs had a grudge against adobe because Adobe refused to port its software to the Next platform. Jobs felt he needed Adobe for Next to be successful.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 01:18 PM
35 12