I want to write up much more than this and why it sucks but I'm leaving for the day.

Ok so how can you have Netflix streaming in HTML5 on chromebook but not for BB10 or Playbook in HTML5?

Is someone getting paid some big bucks by google?

Samsung's latest Chromebook now supports Netflix courtesy of HTML5 streaming
    03-11-13 03:16 PM
    Anyone know what a Chromebook's user agent string is?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 03:27 PM
    just tweeted asking if pb browser will now support netflix.
    03-11-13 03:30 PM
    If this is the case, it seems as if Netflix could easily bring this functionality to the Z10 and/or PlayBook Browsers without needing to develop an app?

Although I'm sure Google has lots of money to throw at Netflix (like Microsoft and Windows Phone I'm guessing)
    03-11-13 03:32 PM
    MAYBE THIS IS THE SURPRISE KEVIN WAS TALKING ABOUT!? haha or maybe just wishful thinking
    03-11-13 03:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    mmmmm. thats an interesting thought.
    03-11-13 03:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    I was actually just going to ask this exact same thing...if we can have our browser "authenticate" as Chromebook we're game. I'm going to do some Googling on this...
    03-11-13 03:39 PM
    I put what I think is a Chromebook user agent in Simple Browser on may PlayBook. It doesn't work but it "Almost" works. No error messages but no video either.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 03:42 PM
    able to update the user agent string in the browser?

EDIT: just read above.
    03-11-13 03:45 PM
    I put what I think is a Chromebook user agent in Simple Browser on may PlayBook. It doesn't work but it "Almost" works. No error messages but no video either.

Posted via CB10
    I suspect this is actually due to the browser privacy/security lock-down and other possible limitations. The default browser should be able to eat this up no problem if the user agent can be changed.
    03-11-13 03:51 PM
    I tried Dolphin. It says Netflix Video Player Unavailable. Our Apologies - we cannot find the Netflix Video Player on your Chromebook....

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 03:57 PM
    I tried Dolphin. It says Netflix Video Player Unavailable. Our Apologies - we cannot find the Netflix Video Player on your Chromebook....

Posted via CB10
    If that is the case then it is not pure HTML5. It is some hack-job that still uses a proprietary application.
    03-11-13 04:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe someone could make an app for that? That would be kinda funny, no? =)

EDIT: Just read post above. So it isn't purely an HTML5 app...
    03-11-13 04:04 PM
    If that is the case then it is not pure HTML5. It is some hack-job that still uses a proprietary application.
    We tried.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 04:04 PM
    Exactly what it is. See screenshot below from SimpleBrowser+ using Chromebook User Agent string:

Netflix HTML5 video streaming for Google???? WTF-pbnetflix.jpg
    03-11-13 04:06 PM
    Maybe videos are in webM format, which PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 aren't capable of....

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 04:06 PM
    damn you netflix !!!
    03-11-13 04:16 PM
    It's like Netflix is doing everything in its power to dodge BlackBerry. BLA1ZE WE NEED YOUR APK!!!!!
    irweezyy likes this.
    03-11-13 05:04 PM
    I had been wondering this exact thing myself...how hard would it be for BB to incorporate these web apps from Chrome or now Firefox. In theory, it seems like they must be close but I'm not a developer. Sure would open a whole new world of apps.
    03-11-13 05:09 PM
    Netflix supports all American home brands. You guys should rally to boycott their services in Canada...

At least let the world know how bad business practices stifle growth

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    03-11-13 05:10 PM
    Netflix supports all American home brands. You guys should rally to boycott their services in Canada...

At least let the world know how bad business practices stifle growth

Posted via CB10
    I didn't know Sony (PS Vita) and Nintendo were american. Joke aside, almost every other devices have a Netflix player. Why not the Z10 or the PlayBook?
    03-11-13 06:00 PM
    I didn't know Sony (PS Vita) and Nintendo were american. Joke aside, almost every other devices have a Netflix player. Why not the Z10 or the PlayBook?
    Same reason Sling doesn't? Oh wait, I don't know what that reason is.
    03-11-13 06:06 PM
    Honestly, this seems worthy of an antitrust lawsuit. Doesn't Netflix have a monopoly on paid video streaming service? If so, they can't arbitrarily choose not to support a platform by at least opening their APIs to the company/third party developers. They literally support everything from PSP Vita to Nintendo products to PS3 to every mobile OS (INCLUDING Windows Phone!) except for Blackberry. WTF?
    irweezyy likes this.
    03-11-13 06:08 PM
    Honestly, this seems worthy of an antitrust lawsuit. Doesn't Netflix have a monopoly on paid video streaming service? If so, they can't arbitrarily choose not to support a platform by at least opening their APIs to the company/third party developers. They literally support everything from PSP Vita to Nintendo products to PS3 to every mobile OS (INCLUDING Windows Phone!) except for Blackberry. WTF?
    they dont have a monopoly. Hulu is the biggest competitor i can think off
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-11-13 06:11 PM

No, anyone is free to try another streaming video service if they can get the studios on board. It's quite likely a company like Apple will develop a competing service at some point. Most local cable companies have an On Demand service as well for movies. HBO has a similar service for their shows. It's not a monopoly at all.

It's Netflix's choice who they support. And it's likely with some negotiating between Netflix and BB, something could be done to fix the problem. I think there likely is some problem we might not all be privy to though. The reasons for the app not existing that we get from both sides don't really seem that solid.
    03-11-13 06:13 PM
35 12