So my BB Z10 comes in the mail today and coming from an iPhone 4S, I'm a bit hesitant. Apps aren't that big of a deal for me (I barely use instagram) but battery life will be (I gave up my iphone for its terrible 6 hour heavy use battery life); hopefully the Z10 will be a bit better. On the positive side, I'm excited about the gestures and "flow" along with the superb "Hub" functionality (no more pressing a home button); but my question is, will it last me for a year and a half? Considering the mobile landscape, nothing much is coming out that in my opinion will interest me (galaxy s4/ note 3is the same as the s3/ note 2, iphone 5S will be an exact replica as the 5, Moto X was overhyped and didn't live up to it, Lumia 928 is great but is already outdated by 1020, and HTC One has dreadful battery life). Sadly not much innovation is happening at the top (the true curse of continual success) because once you have an amazing product, you refuse to innovate.

So, with this, I wait for my Z10 and these are my reasons for getting it. It really seems like all of the crazy innovations are happening at the bottom rather than the top (like indie unsigned bands having more substance than major signed bands); and if this is the case, maybe its better to have 3rd place (because we saw what happened when Blackberry was on top and long fall to 3rd place). So has anyone come from iphone to the Z10? What's your experience?
    08-07-13 09:18 AM
    Install 10.2 before anything

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    08-07-13 09:20 AM
    I don't think 10.2 is available for Verizon yet, and I'm not sure about a leak or hack.
    08-07-13 09:23 AM
    About the only thing I can complain about with the z10 is the battery life. Other than that I have no complaints. Make sure you upgrade to 10.1 if it's not already loaded. I've had my z10 since release and there is not really any wear, so I wouldn't worry about it lasting a measly year and a half. Just make sure you use some kind of case for fall protection.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 09:28 AM
    Hi GiftedSoul! Great to hear that you're giving BlackBerry a try! As Vgorous suggested, 10.2 leak is fantastic. You will get accustomed to using gestures that you'll swipe your laptop and home buttons on other devices to try and wake it up lol.

As you mentioned that you don't use a lot of apps and if there's going to be an app that you need and it's not in BlackBerry World, sideloading is very easy and fun. There are great tips and resources throughout the forums and tons of eager CrackBerrians who are always willing to help out when you run into problems!

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 09:29 AM
    6 hours of "heavy use" will be a challenge for the Z10
    08-07-13 09:30 AM
    10.2 is a must, I was a bit dissapointed with previous OS, but now, can't regret!
    08-07-13 09:31 AM
    Lol "hack"

If hacking was that easy. Download, plug your phone, run the autoloader on your computer. 10 min max.

This isn't like installing a completely different OS. Its nothing like installing Linux in a ps3 back then. Far from it.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 09:43 AM
    10.2 as a lot of new nice things that were missing and as improved my battery life, as all the previous updates did. The leak that you can find here on the forum works really well.
    08-07-13 09:49 AM
    Glad to hear that you're giving BlackBerry a shot, I recently switched from Android (with a Galaxy S4) to the Z10 after falling in love with BlackBerry 10 and how intuitive the flow interface is and how much it improves my productivity with my device.

I'm running 10.1 MR on mine with no issues, and would be a bit hesitant to install a leaked OS right off the bat. The best thing that I can recommend is to just update it to the latest version available from your carrier and give it a few days to see if you hit any snags. I think you'll be alright though.
    08-07-13 09:55 AM
    6 hours of "heavy use" will be a challenge for the Z10
    I had my phone off the charger since 630am. Took a few calls, ran my flashlight for a good 15 minutes, sent/received some emails, was listening to music for 15 minutes, checked the weather, and have been on cb10 pretty much all day. It's 11:05 now, with approximately 70% battery life.

I have nfc on, LTE on, data on, wifi on, BlackBerry Protect on, location services on. I have the display brightness just below half way.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 10:06 AM
    You will get from 2 to 36 hours use from the battery. Any graphics intensive apps (games) can easily drain the battery in two hours. Those who indicate otherwise are arguing against simple physics.
    I get equivalent battery life on my Z10 to my previous G2X

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 10:07 AM
    10.2 like everyone else is saying really adds a lot to the already great experience. Battery life these days has been a non issue for me. I almost never worry about it or do active battery saving tricks, like turning off my LTE anymore. Fridays are the most difficult because I usually do a full work day and then go out before going home to charge, so it sometimes dies at around the 16 hour mark. I'm happy with that though.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 10:18 AM
    10.2 like everyone else is saying really adds a lot to the already great experience. Battery life these days has been a non issue for me. I almost never worry about it or do active battery saving tricks, like turning off my LTE anymore. Fridays are the most difficult because I usually do a full work day and then go out before going home to charge, so it sometimes dies at around the 16 hour mark. I'm happy with that though.

Posted via CB10
    Battery bundle is the way to go! It's a good 30 $ investment.

Posted via CB10
    sin-co and flyingsolid like this.
    08-07-13 10:30 AM
    Currently running on 10.2 and it is amazing. Battery life is significantly improved. On moderate to heavy use will get 12 -16 hours. Additionally the App manager software allows you to see which applications are dragging the battery and enable closing the guilty application. Additionally the BB battery charger bundle has come in handy on a few occasions when I have been up and about for > 16 hours.
    08-07-13 10:43 AM
    Well OP, I can only hope you are going to be happy with your choice. I really love my Z10 but I agree, it's only truly coming to full potential after OS 10.2.
    08-07-13 10:56 AM
    I have never used an iPhone, came from android and wp8. Just started with my Z10 over the weekend and love it so far. I have not installed the leak, running the current AT&T released software. I can wait for the official version to come out. Battery life has been great for me on 10.1. No problems there. I do a lot of emails on the go, the keyboard is fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 10:56 AM
    So my BB Z10 comes in the mail today and coming from an iPhone 4S, I'm a bit hesitant. Apps aren't that big of a deal for me (I barely use instagram) but battery life will be (I gave up my iphone for its terrible 6 hour heavy use battery life); hopefully the Z10 will be a bit better. On the positive side, I'm excited about the gestures and "flow" along with the superb "Hub" functionality (no more pressing a home button); but my question is, will it last me for a year and a half? Considering the mobile landscape, nothing much is coming out that in my opinion will interest me (galaxy s4/ note 3is the same as the s3/ note 2, iphone 5S will be an exact replica as the 5, Moto X was overhyped and didn't live up to it, Lumia 928 is great but is already outdated by 1020, and HTC One has dreadful battery life). Sadly not much innovation is happening at the top (the true curse of continual success) because once you have an amazing product, you refuse to innovate.

So, with this, I wait for my Z10 and these are my reasons for getting it. It really seems like all of the crazy innovations are happening at the bottom rather than the top (like indie unsigned bands having more substance than major signed bands); and if this is the case, maybe its better to have 3rd place (because we saw what happened when Blackberry was on top and long fall to 3rd place). So has anyone come from iphone to the Z10? What's your experience?
    When you get it , first thing I'd do is log on to crackberry and read The first ten things to do with your new BlackBerry Z10 | CrackBerry.com.

Enjoy you phone and get used to it. I don't agree with installing a leak right away. Use the phone and see what battery life you get. i'd say give the stock OS at least a week. If its not giving you enough , then you could explore your options.

There are alot of tweaks you can do to the settings (brightness, turn off Nfc etc) that you could try to extend battery life. If after you want to make the plunge to 10.2 ...sure.

Have fun!
    08-07-13 11:03 AM
    Let me understand: You abandoned an IP4 because of distaste for a sometimes (or ave.) 6hr battery? You don't need apps. but presumptively the IP battery life for calls, texts, and surfing has disappointed. So you order a Z (then jump on this site even before using) without knowing abouy its battery.

Even as CB has shown the Z to have a weak battery albeit improved for those that install a non-approved OS release. If you're for real, you may have made the right decision but, as most posts herein and hundreds of other prior threads support,100% for the wrong reason. If you seek out of the box battery performance over an IP Or Samsung), you wont get it from a Z. Maybe you will match IP4 if you install the recent leaked OS 10.2 (great marketing to suggest people buy a phone, then immediately search the web to download a leaked OS). Or, as most often suggested, you can buy and carry an extra battery.

Why would anyone post on CB after they buy but before they have used the Z or have anything to report? ... let alone simply to buy a Z for its battery.

Sorry, rarely would comment on this type of thread, but this is more than a waste of time...somethings strange here?!?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by M65c02; 08-12-13 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Typo
    08-07-13 11:13 AM
    run 10.2 or you won't be happy, 10.1 blows it's sluggish and worse than 10.0 with battery life.. just look at how many people are having problems with the official 10.1 MR update
    08-07-13 11:25 AM
    Let me understand: You abandoned an IP4 because of distaste for a sometimes (or ave.) 6hr battery? You don't need apps. but presumptively the IP battery life for calls, texts, and surfing has disappointed. So you order a Z (then jump on this site even before using) without knowing abouy its battery.

Even as CB has shown the Z to have a weak battery albeit improved for those that install a non-approved OS release. If you're for real, you may have made the right decision but, as most posts herein and hundreds of other threads support,100% for the wrong reason. If you seek out of the box battery performance over an IP, you wont get it from a Z. Maybe you will match IP4 if you install the recent leaked OS. But you can buy and carry an extra battery.

Why would anyone post on CB after they buy but before they have used the Z or have anything to report? ... let alone simply to buy a Z for its battery.

Sorry, rarely would comment on this type of thread, but this is more than a waste of time...somethings strange here?!?

Posted via CB10
    Just ignore whatever this guy said.

Posted via CB10
    revtech and bradu1 like this.
    08-07-13 11:52 AM
    With the install of a great leak (4651) I know longer think the IP5 has any advantage over the z10. Except in the app error.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 11:56 AM
    Just make sure you update it to the most official release, learn a few gestures, apply a few batt saving things and you'll start loving it.
    Battery life is varied for everyone.

But learn the basics of it first and try not too listen too hard to the forum answers, see if you personally love it yourself. Keep an open mind.
    Last edited by Chanlion; 08-07-13 at 12:46 PM.
    08-07-13 11:56 AM
    Z10 (BB10) is an awesome phone...period! The OS truly represents a revolution and a shift in dyanamics. The Hub & Flow, typing experience, camera (time shift feature) and the screamingly fast browser sets this phone apart from others. Add to that the genious of swiping gestures and you've got one heck of a foundation on which BB will build on.

Now, in a few months (if not sooner) you'll dazzle onlookers with how fast you are accessing information. One gesture swipe for notifications, swipe back & for pix, videos and music. In public, people are always fascinated when I Google information and facts and I respond faster than all other phones around me.

Yep. I too was nervous, anxiously awaiting our Z's. When I found out I could pick mine up from Wally World, I was really nervous. Would Walmart do me right? Did BB send the flaky phones there? Why is is so cheap ($129 vs $199)?

NOPE! To date, our phones have never randomly rebooted and we have loaded 20+ apps each and are flying high with 10.2 (Verizon). You're gonna love it! You will get criticism about "Apps", "gimmicks" and more, but don't sweat it...these things will come!

Go BB!
    08-07-13 12:05 PM
    I don't think 10.2 is available for Verizon yet, and I'm not sure about a leak or hack.
    DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!
    My bad for this errant post. I misread and misquoted. Verizon 10.1 is out, not 10.2.

Verizon 10.2 is indeed out and represents a marked improvement over 10.1. Battery life, speed and other updates make this another step up with this awesome device!

Go BB!
    Last edited by earlym; 08-07-13 at 11:41 PM.
    08-07-13 12:08 PM
60 123