Hello everyone, I am currently an iphone 4s user, and I am considering getting the Z10 as my daily
    driver (iphone 4s as 2ndary phone for apps). Also, I own a Nexus 7 as for on the go, if I ever
    need to browse at starbucks or other free time. As many of you probably had experience using
    iphones, and Z10 platform is an easy hands on for those of whom are coming from iphones.
    Now, couple questions I want to ask prior getting the device. (still debating to get the Z10 or the new
    HTC one)
    1. currently, how many social apps can be integrated in the hub ie: line, whatsapp, (skype in the future)...and so on
    2. without the BIS feature on the z10, how efficient is the email working ? I am quite picky about instant
    emailing without any delays (which is not satisfied with my iphone, the more frequent fetch/push you
    set, the more battery drain it gets)
    3. would any of you also consider the New HTC one ? what really makes you to go with the z10?
    (i love the built quality, and the new blink feed feature on the htc one; yet i hate to use android as
    my daily drive. Since I am using Nexus7 as my main browsing device, I am more leaning towards
    the z10 over android phones)
    4. Ideally, in your opinion, can the z10 last for the next two years? since the mobile market now
    has evolved so fast that there will be a new device in 3 months)- I am planning to use z10 for the
    next two years if possible.

any input is much appreciated.
    I am looking foward to join crackberry family !

Last edited by chw6922; 03-19-13 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo
    03-19-13 05:37 AM
    Cant tell much about social apps since I really seldom use these, if ever. I tried whatsapp and it worked well with the hub. Others will have more experience there.

As for email: I am syncing with an exchange (activesync) and an IMAP account, one on push, the other on 15 minutes sync. Both work well, push email comes in without delay, at the very least not slower (sometimes I think faster) than on my previous iphone 5. Battery life is good, not worse than an iphone at least. Plus you can bring a spare battery if you are a heavy user.

That gets us to the point of how long the device will "last". In general I think that you can very well get along with the usual 24 month cycle that most carriers offer with their contracts. Unless something really changes in technology, I dont see why you would need another phone within the next two years. Unless you want the latest giant screen, in which case you are better off with a 5" anyways.

The big plus of the Z10 in terms of future readiness is, in my eyes, the replacable battery. If you frequently recharge, your battery gets worse and worse. If you have an iphone, you can expect 20-40% less battery life after these 2 years (I read these figures somewhere and they match my experiences). In the case of the Z10 you just order a new battery for 20 bucks and have a brand new power pack. That makes surviving two years a lot easier.

The BB10 platform is still evolving and, from what I have seen so far, in good ways. It will get better with more user input, just like apple did with iOS which sucked a lot, compared to todays versions, when it first came out, end even years later. I think that there will be a lot more native useful apps over the next months and that you wont be any worse off with this phone than any other current one in terms of how long it will be "actual".

Of course, BB will likely publish a new all-touchscreen phone at some point, probably not earlier than next year or so. I am not a fan of android phones, which are certainly the most frequently published, simply because of the software and the update cycles.
    jesse_h likes this.
    03-19-13 06:05 AM
    Whatsapp, Gtalk, bbm are all integrated into the hub. You can't chat from the hub with Gtalk, but you can with whatsapp and bbm without opening the respective apps. It really depends on app developer how much hub integration they add, but whatsapp proved that you can have very solid hub integration and be able to chat on third party apps without the app open. As for Skype, I doubt it will have hub integration since it is confirmed to be a port. In fact, if Skype is very important to you, i'd think twice about BB10, because the Skype app will likely not be that great since it's not native.

The Z10 has push for Gmail using IMAP IDLE without exchange. That's how I have mine set up, and my emails come in instantaneously.

I personally love the hardware of the HTC One. I think I must've drooled when I saw it the first few times. However, my previous phone was a Nexus 4, so there was no way I was getting an Android phone, especially one with a skin and not just vanilla.

As for survival, I honestly would be very surprised to see BlackBerry go out of business in the next two years. They survived the past nearly 2 years with non new products at all! I think BB10 won't have amazing sales just yet, but I think hat the next 2 years will bring huge improvements and added functionality to the platform (and apps!). Think about it, the OS is fully built now, the company's entire focus is now shifted towards improving rather than creating, which will hugely benefit consumers since they're going to work on features apparent to the user rather than "Under the Hood" work. Especially given how quickly they launched the first update, and with all indications pointing to 10.1 bring out with the Q10, I have no doubt that BlackBerry is seriously devoted to this platform.
    03-19-13 06:28 AM
    Thanks for the reply, I ordered my z10 black, STL-100-2, British version. I should be able to receive it within the next two days. I also ordered the red fiber pouch case for it. Can't wait to have my new z10 !
    04-04-13 05:17 AM