I finally got my Z10 today!

First thing I did was throw in the battery and turn it on, then it said there was a software update available. Version 10.0.10.90.

So I started to update the phone, then at 49% the phone froze. I waited about 30-45 mins then decided to pull the battery.

Now the phone boots directly to blank screen with 'Software Update' written across the top.
    It wont do anything, it just sits at that screen.

I have tried pulling the battery for a while. Ive tried connecting it to BlackBerry Link on my PC but it said the devices needs to be set up before I can continue.

Is there anyway I can fix this issue, or factory wipe the phone at all? SO ANNOYING I havnt even been able to use it once.
    03-25-13 02:48 AM
    I seem to remember 2 things about the update instructions:
    1) Make sure your device is connected to a power source before performing the update.
    2) Do not disconnect the battery during the update process.

So I would suggest calling your carrier technical support line.
    03-25-13 03:01 AM
    yeah I had the phone connected to the power when I began the update. It just got stuck at 49%. Stupid phone Im seriously regretting this purchase.

So now Im gonna have to call my carrier and organise for the phone to be sent out and wait weeks for it come back. GREAT
    03-25-13 03:04 AM
    Try walking through this thread for reinstalling the BB10 OS:

How to reload your BlackBerry 10 smartphone operating system | CrackBerry.com

UPDATE:Make sure to read`the comments too for updates. SilkySunshine noted this:

"The Check for Update link is gone and I just bricked my Z10!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!

So, the "Check for Update" link is gone from the BlackBerry website so I had to find a new way to restore my nuked Z10.
    Here's the down and dirty:
    1. Open BB Link and click the button with the 3 dots in the bottom right corner then click show disconnected devices.
    2. Click on the name of your bricked Z10. You should see a restore button. If not, connect the device to the computer.
    3. Click the restore button. You will get a popup confirmation to continue.
    4. Connect the bricked Z10 and click Yes on the popup when Link detects the device (you will have an extremely short time to click Yes)
    5. A restore to factory settings will start. There should be a progress bar in BB Link.

I hope this helps!"
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 03-25-13 at 03:39 AM.
    03-25-13 03:11 AM
    yeah I had the phone connected to the power when I began the update. It just got stuck at 49%. Stupid phone Im seriously regretting this purchase.

So now Im gonna have to call my carrier and organise for the phone to be sent out and wait weeks for it come back. GREAT
    Usually the carrier tech help line can give you instructions right over the phone and walk you through the solution right there, or they will forward your call directly to Blackberry technical help who will walk you through the solution and email you or call you back or something to make sure that their instructions were followed and the phone is working.

My update seemed 'stuck' several times but I had read several threads here that advised patience during the process... that it wasn't really stuck at all, it was just taking time to install a very large file.
    03-25-13 03:17 AM
    lucky me..while upgrading my z10, i went for a drinks..reading a newspaper..smoke few bud of cigarettes and then came back wallaa..its finished..i might end up like OP's phone if i had stayed waiting for the upgrade progress..hoooooh..safeeee..

any chance recovering your Z10 from Blackberry Link?..maybe using a Blackberry Link to upgrade is much more safer..i never upgrade my Z10 via OTA yet and never will be..
    03-25-13 03:28 AM
    lucky me..while upgrading my z10, i went for a drinks..reading a newspaper..smoke few bud of cigarettes and then came back wallaa..its finished..i might end up like OP's phone if i had stayed waiting for the upgrade progress..hoooooh..safeeee..

any chance recovering your Z10 from Blackberry Link?..maybe using a Blackberry Link to upgrade is much more safer..i never upgrade my Z10 via OTA yet and never will be..
    OTA upgrade is totally safe and I have done it. The benefit of OTA is that the phone remains as it was before the upgrade so very less time taken. Maybe the problem was in network connection due to which the download got stuck. Anyways, all the best OP.
    03-25-13 03:43 AM
    OTA updates always seemed to take so much longer on older BB OS devices. I could only assume that this would be the same one newer devices. I find using a PC was speedy and painless! I hope you are able to resolve your issues! I have cashed a few BB's in the past and managed to get them working again with traditional desktop software. Even managed to crash my playbook trying to install BB10 on it and recovered it. Does anyone know if the Z10 has the master reset like the playbook? With it I was able to reset it once by holding the power button with the volume up button I believe...
    03-25-13 03:45 AM
    Usually the carrier tech help line can give you instructions right over the phone and walk you through the solution right there, or they will forward your call directly to Blackberry technical help who will walk you through the solution and email you or call you back or something to make sure that their instructions were followed and the phone is working.

My update seemed 'stuck' several times but I had read several threads here that advised patience during the process... that it wasn't really stuck at all, it was just taking time to install a very large file.
    So you think that the "Software Update" screen is actually doing something in the background? My carrier seem to have no clue.

Also, Blackberry Link wont let me restore, it keeps saying the device is up-to-date and no updates available.
    03-25-13 03:50 AM
    OMG Patients pays off!!! I just left the phone and came back, and its WORKING AGAIN!!!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!
    sgt_snacks-64 and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-25-13 03:54 AM
    Never ever disconnect during software update.
    If it looks like it's frozen, leave it alone and watch a film or something

Posted via CB10
    jesse_h and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-25-13 03:58 AM
    Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Cheers and have fun with the device.
    03-25-13 04:05 AM
    OMG Patients pays off!!! I just left the phone and came back, and its WORKING AGAIN!!!!

Nice one! Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 04:11 AM
    Great, congrats and have fun with the phone.
    03-25-13 04:12 AM

Glad you got it fix without too much hassle.. now go play and have fun with it.. you're gonna love it!
    03-25-13 04:15 AM
    go get few cups of coffee after initialize update..haha
    03-25-13 04:19 AM
    lucky me..while upgrading my z10, i went for a drinks..reading a newspaper..smoke few bud of cigarettes and then came back voil�..its finished..i might end up like OP's phone if i had stayed waiting for the upgrade progress..hoooooh..safeeee..

Fixed that for ya :-)
    03-25-13 04:21 AM
    OMG Patience pays off!!! I just left the phone and came back, and its WORKING AGAIN!!!!

03-25-13 04:22 AM
    hmm sums up the I want it now era.
    03-25-13 06:14 AM

Great ! I'm sure you'll love it now
    (P.S : as a thank you, and probably reflecting your mood right now, you may want to :
    1/ Edit the OP to explain how it came back
    2/ edit the post (on the first page) where you were *ahum* ranting about your acquisition ?

Welcome aboard !
    Amit Oberoi likes this.
    03-25-13 07:26 AM
    hello, when i upgrade os bb Z10, after finish installing, why blackberry messenger cannot use?
    when i try to open blackberry messenger, that nothing happen,just back to home screen

thanks

need help
    Try walking through this thread for reinstalling the BB10 OS:

How to reload your BlackBerry 10 smartphone operating system | CrackBerry.com

UPDATE:Make sure to read`the comments too for updates. SilkySunshine noted this:

"The Check for Update link is gone and I just bricked my Z10!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!

So, the "Check for Update" link is gone from the BlackBerry website so I had to find a new way to restore my nuked Z10.
    Here's the down and dirty:
    1. Open BB Link and click the button with the 3 dots in the bottom right corner then click show disconnected devices.
    2. Click on the name of your bricked Z10. You should see a restore button. If not, connect the device to the computer.
    3. Click the restore button. You will get a popup confirmation to continue.
    4. Connect the bricked Z10 and click Yes on the popup when Link detects the device (you will have an extremely short time to click Yes)
    5. A restore to factory settings will start. There should be a progress bar in BB Link.

I hope this helps!"
    04-03-13 08:14 PM