I need some honest opinions from new owners, I've been snooping around crackberry almost daily since I first heard about the Z10 trying to learn everything I could about the new BB and its crunch time for me, time to make a decision whether to cross over to the canadian side of the cellphone world or not. I'm coming from a Sprint photon 4g, Ive already made the decision to switch to ATT so that is a non-issue.

Some facts about my smart phone life thus far-
    I have only owned Android devices, have never had a BB or IOS, the reason I am frustrated and ready for a change is mostly because of the photon I have now, Motorola basically abandoned the phone as far as updates after i bought it last year, i still run gingerbread, even after Motorola announced they would update to ICS (they later retracted). This is one aspect that BB10 and the Z10 really appeals to me, I know the Z10 is all BB has and they will keep it in tip top shape as far as updates go, the Z10 will never be forgotten by the company.

My concern with the BB is im afraid that most of the very positive reviews have been either from people coming from the last version of BB or are people who had BB's in the past. I'd like to hear some opinions from people who are coming fresh over to BB from the first time and have never had a BB in the past.

I have my choices narrowed down to either a Z10 or HTC One if i decide to stay with android, but i really WANT a Z10, I am just concerned that the negative reviews on this site are coming mostly from people who are brand new at the BB experience like I will be. I want a phone I will be happy with for at least two years

What are your opinions? Thanks in advance for any help!
    03-24-13 10:57 PM
    Some of the posts I've seen here in the forums from (former) iPhone users have been positive. Admittedly, I don't recall seeing any from (former) Android users. The only way to really make the decision is to try it out yourself, all the opinions in the world won't amount to much if YOU are unhappy! Take as much "hands-on" time as you need, no one in the store will fault you for it! And, if you're still not convinced yet, just keep reading through the forums! Also-BB10 as a QNX-based device is new to all of us, so everyone is learning at the same time, and this is one of the best sites around to ask questions and learn!

Good luck.
    03-24-13 11:07 PM
    BlackBerry has been really good about updating in the past. Well except for play book but there's a reason why. You can't go wrong with z10, it's really a level playing field with hardware nowadays. The operating system is fun, and even better is that throughout this year it'll be xmas over and over as updates and tweaks come out. I'm sure you'll get a lot of happy responses from old android owners. And really what it comes down to is what you want out the phone. Right now it's simple, easy to use and does what it does well.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 11:09 PM
    I need some honest opinions from new owners ...

I have only owned Android devices, have never had a BB or IOS

My concern with the BB is im afraid that most of the very positive reviews have been either from people coming from the last version of BB or are people who had BB's in the past. I'd like to hear some opinions from people who are coming fresh over to BB from the first time and have never had a BB in the past.

I have my choices narrowed down to either a Z10 or HTC One if i decide to stay with android, but i really WANT a Z10, I am just concerned that the negative reviews on this site are coming mostly from people who are brand new at the BB experience like I will be. I want a phone I will be happy with for at least two years

What are your opinions? Thanks in advance for any help!
    I don't fall into your desired group of respondents as I have owned Blackberry phones over the past 6 years, this Z10 is into my 7th. However, I think I am 'qualified' to comment about the user experience of an Android phone owner. I have a Samsung Note which I used to use, as my "fun" phone for web surfing and the occasional photography apps. But it was just it - my fun phone. For all the serious emailing, whatsapping, texting, BBMing, Facebooking .... I used my old Blackberry 9900. It was so horrible typing on my Samsung Note, that I had so many typo errors; I was constantly backspacing to correct my spelling because the touchscreen was just .... frustrating to use. Don't get me wrong. I bought the Samsung Note with my eyes wide open - it was for the largeness of screen. I already knew from trying out touchscreen phones that accuracy and speed were 2 things I had to sacrifice if I were to give up on BB's physical qwerty keyboard. So you can imagine, how apprehensive I was trying out the Z10 for the very first time. I was blown away. I didn't even check if there were any apps in BB World. LOL!

As you are an Android phone owner, I think the biggest thing you would find "missing" if you cross over to BB 10, is that you may not find your apps in BB World now, and for some time to come. App developers are only beginning to make apps for BB10. WhatsApp is the most important app for me, and once I downloaded the latest version last week, I was a happy camper.

The Z10 is a well-made phone. Look at it for its hardware merits. Apps are just fluff, in my opinion. The lack of availability of apps is very transient. More will come on board.
    03-24-13 11:27 PM
    Depends what you want.

As a stand alone smartphone, Z10 is pretty great.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 11:31 PM
    You can return any phone within a certain amount of days so it won't hurt to try it out. Anyway, I also don't fit in the criteria as I've owned Blackberries a long time. I am nuts for this phone though and by far my favorite for so many reasons.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    03-24-13 11:35 PM
    You can return any phone within a certain amount of days so it won't hurt to try it out. Anyway, I also don't fit in the criteria as I've owned Blackberries a long time. I am nuts for this phone though and by far my favorite for so many reasons.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    Something Ive noticed from online reviews is people who did the month later reviews seemed to like the phone much more than the people who did the "comparison" reviews, I think even after all the research Ive done, Im still going to be lost when I first pick up the phone, so to me, an in store comparison wont do me much good Of corse im going to be more confortable with the Android, I wasnt aware that ATT would give you thirty days to trial the phone. I thought it was only 4 days, can anyone confirm this? A thirty day trial would be great for me.

Also, i forgot to ask in my original post, can anyone give me insight on the antenna strength compared to other phones? I travel to alot of places with shotty service for work. A strong antenna is definatly one of my top priorities for a phone and I havent found anything referencing the Z10s on here.

Thanks again
    03-25-13 12:08 AM
    AT&T gives you 14 days just check the specific store for re stocking fee terms. In my several day experience signal has been very solid but there are many here who can probably speak much more to that effect. Although having gone through 8310, 9000, 9700, 9800, 9810, 9900, z10 signal has never been one of bbs shortcomings.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 01:19 AM
    Something Ive noticed from online reviews is people who did the month later reviews seemed to like the phone much more than the people who did the "comparison" reviews, I think even after all the research Ive done, Im still going to be lost when I first pick up the phone, so to me, an in store comparison wont do me much good Of corse im going to be more confortable with the Android, I wasnt aware that ATT would give you thirty days to trial the phone. I thought it was only 4 days, can anyone confirm this? A thirty day trial would be great for me.

Also, i forgot to ask in my original post, can anyone give me insight on the antenna strength compared to other phones? I travel to alot of places with shotty service for work. A strong antenna is definatly one of my top priorities for a phone and I havent found anything referencing the Z10s on here.

Thanks again
    The phone takes time to get used to, at least for me. Mainly because of no home screen button. Also I am used to physical keyboards, but I am getting used to the Z10 keyboard fast! It learns your words so fast and they just pop up and all you mainly do is swipe the words up. They clearly put a lot of work into it. But yeah the people doing side-by-side probably played with it for 5 minutes. Not enough time at all. A lot of reps it seems don't really know how to use it. Luckily my rep loved the phone so he knew what to do. I still had to learn by myself. It comes with videos on the phone to help.

Can't help with the antenna question.
    03-25-13 08:40 AM
    I'm doing the same as you I'm getting rid of my Nexus 4 T-Mobile & getting the z-ten tomorrow. I've always had BlackBerry or a Android Nexus. Last BB was 9900 Bold. I think BB is here to stay & is gonna start pushing their weight back into the phone game by any means necessary.
    ErinnM likes this.
    03-25-13 08:46 AM
    I came from Android and prefer the Z10. But I use it as a portable writing tool so it's superior for me.

If you give it some concentrated time the Z10 really grows on you a lot.

Things to come to z10 for:
    Keyboard
    Fluid UI
    Hub
    Future possibilities of QNX

Things to stay with androids for:
    Apps
    Maxed out specs (if you go for best phone)

There is a good chance you will miss tha apps but if you give BB10 a chance and use it for it's strengths you can really appreciate it.

If it was only updates that is causing the switch you could always go with a Google Nexus phone. I think they get updated.

For me, the switch to BB10 was perfect. If you give some time to learn it's strengths then it truly is fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 09:03 AM
    I came from Android and prefer the Z10. But I use it as a portable writing tool so it's superior for me.

If you give it some concentrated time the Z10 really grows on you a lot.

Things to come to z10 for:
    Keyboard
    Fluid UI
    Hub
    Future possibilities of QNX

Things to stay with androids for:
    Apps
    Maxed out specs (if you go for best phone)

There is a good chance you will miss tha apps but if you give BB10 a chance and use it for it's strengths you can really appreciate it.

If it was only updates that is causing the switch you could always go with a Google Nexus phone. I think they get updated.

For me, the switch to BB10 was perfect. If you give some time to learn it's strengths then it truly is fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    thanks for all the input definatly helps to know that you are satisfied with the Z10 coming from a nexus, to me I think the positives outweigh the drawbacks for the Z10. Apps arent really and issue for me, there are only probably three apps I use on a daily basis and I know the more people come to bb10 the more apps will show up.

Im going to give it a shot! on my way to order one after this post. mark one in the score column for a first time BB convert, Thanks again!
    03-25-13 12:04 PM
    Just to clarify: I didn't come from a nexus. It was a Samsung. But I've plenty of experience with Jellybean from my android tablet. At the moment the Z10 has even overridden that in terms of my usage.

There is definitely a learning curve with the Z10. You have to spend some time practicing using it as intended in order to extract maximum awesomeness. For example make an effort to actually consciously use the features of the keyboard. Once they become second nature you can utterly smoke swype typing. Same with the UI. At first the Lack of a "Home" might drive you crazy. But pretty soon the flow starts to make more sense. After a few weeks your old android will drive you crazy.

But be prepared: no Google transit or other apps you get with Android.

Edit: which were the three apps you mentioned that are important to you?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 12:20 PM
    Just to clarify: I didn't come from a nexus. It was a Samsung. But I've plenty of experience with Jellybean from my android tablet. At the moment the Z10 has even overridden that in terms of my usage.

There is definitely a learning curve with the Z10. You have to spend some time practicing using it as intended in order to extract maximum awesomeness. For example make an effort to actually consciously use the features of the keyboard. Once they become second nature you can utterly smoke swype typing. Same with the UI. At first the Lack of a "Home" might drive you crazy. But pretty soon the flow starts to make more sense. After a few weeks your old android will drive you crazy.

But be prepared: no Google transit or other apps you get with Android.

Edit: which were the three apps you mentioned that are important to you?

Posted via CB10
    Navionics (but i only use it as a back up) , Fifth third bank (they have a decent mobile site so I can get by. and Slacker which is availble if I understand right.
    03-27-13 12:11 PM
    You mention worrying about Z10 bias from people who are precious BlackBerry owners... then ask for advice in the Z10 forum on CB.... just saying...

I'd take bb10 over android any day and I've used both OSs.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 12:20 PM
    You mention worrying about Z10 bias from people who are precious BlackBerry owners... then ask for advice in the Z10 forum on CB.... just saying...

I'd take bb10 over android any day and I've used both OSs.

Posted via CB10
    Thats what I did... Have got some good honest down to earth opinions and pros and cons, def helped me make up my mind, great users on this site.
    03-27-13 12:30 PM
    Z10. Duh.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    03-27-13 12:39 PM