Hello,

As stated in the title, my z10s camera no longer works. I went out in heavy rain on Saturday, and normally my z10 has come out fine, but this time some water got into the camera.

Right now, when I start the camera app, I either get a message saying "camera could not be started" or the usual camera interface, but where the image should be I get a bunch of colorful lines. The front facing camera still works when this happens.

Any ideas for a fix?

Thanks.
    01-13-14 12:52 PM
    It may be too late to do what you needed to do, and that is to make sure it is completely dry, and free of corrosion. Take out the battery immediately, and then get some pure denatured alcohol, from the home or hardware store, the kind used for cleaning electronics. Dip it in the alcohol, and then let it air dry for several hours, THEN let it dry in either silica gel packs (get from home store also, or a pharmacy) or uncooked rice for at least 24 hours to draw out all remaining moisture. HOWEVER you are probably too late for this to work, at this point you probably need to replace the camera, BUT heck give it a shot.
    mB3rry likes this.
    01-13-14 01:18 PM
    then get some pure denatured alcohol, from the home or hardware store, the kind used for cleaning electronics. Dip it in the alcohol, and then let it air dry for several hours[...]
    The alcohol might damage the rubber or plastic parts of the phone - it did that to the rubber frame of the bezel in the first PlayBook I owned.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    mB3rry likes this.
    01-13-14 01:30 PM
    The alcohol might damage the rubber or plastic parts of the phone - it did that to the rubber frame of the bezel in the first PlayBook I owned.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    You could also try distilled water.
    mB3rry likes this.
    01-13-14 02:59 PM
    Or put it in front a a fan or moving stream of air. I probably would go for warm but NOT hot air.

I slipped into a creek with my Canon s80 camera. Poured water out of the case and battery compartment and sd card slot. Lens was fogged. As we drove for another 3 or 4 hours, I exposed it to the air conditioner, rotating it constantly. Then placed it in the hot sun for another 2 hours or so. Damn thing worked fine. But having left your battery in, you might have blown/shorted some circuits.

Good luck.
    mB3rry likes this.
    01-13-14 04:22 PM
    Thanks for the tips.

Looks like the rear camera is done for good. At least the front cam works sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 10:24 AM
    Have any of you ever done a rear camera replacement on your z10?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 10:29 AM
    Have any of you ever done a rear camera replacement on your z10?

Posted via CB10
    There are a few dissection videos on youtube. I forget the name of the shop that people prefer for parts.
    01-14-14 02:37 PM