I can't get it to connect to my computer in order to transfer files from pc to phone or vice versa. I'm running windows 8. BlackBerry Link will not install. It crashes my computer every time. Any work around to get the phone to be recognized on my PC?

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 09:14 AM
    Mass storage mode?

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 09:15 AM
    How do you do that?

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 09:15 AM
    Settings > Storage and Access > USB Mass Storage to On

It requires a SD card.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 09:17 AM
    Don't have an SD card in my phone. No option for mass storage in that directory you're referring to.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 09:19 AM
    had you wrote a better title... id agree with you..

but to say that the z10 is a "pos" because a desktop software doesn't work for you is just going a bit overboard isn't it?

if you connect the phone and manually(from windows) try an connect it will it work?
    02-12-14 09:24 AM
    Buy wifi file transfer app and go for it!
    02-12-14 09:28 AM
    Just use Samba sharing built into Windows 8 for free.

If you are on the same WiFi go into my computer and type \\192.168.x.x or similar. This is your phones IP address and copy your files that way.
    02-12-14 09:33 AM
    I can't get it to connect to my computer in order to transfer files from pc to phone or vice versa. I'm running windows 8. BlackBerry Link will not install. It crashes my computer every time. Any work around to get the phone to be recognized on my PC?

Posted via CB10
    Let's see, your computer won't recognize a USB device when it's connected and won't properly install a program. Did it ever occur to you that the computer may have an issue? Just a thought.

FWIW I'm running Windows 8 and it recognizes my Z10 via USB and Link is installed and runs with no problems.
    02-12-14 09:59 AM
    Update to Windows 8.1 and see how that treats you.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:00 AM
    had you wrote a better title... id agree with you..

but to say that the z10 is a "pos" because a desktop software doesn't work for you is just going a bit overboard isn't it?

if you connect the phone and manually(from windows) try an connect it will it work?
    No. The pc doesn't recognize the phone at all. It does absolutely nothing, except charge it. Useless.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:38 AM
    Update to Windows 8.1 and see how that treats you.

Posted via CB10
    I'm on 8.1.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:38 AM
    Let's see, your computer won't recognize a USB device when it's connected and won't properly install a program. Did it ever occur to you that the computer may have an issue? Just a thought.

FWIW I'm running Windows 8 and it recognizes my Z10 via USB and Link is installed and runs with no problems.
    It works fine with my wife's iPhone, and it worked perfectly with my old android. So it's not the computer, it's the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:39 AM
    Why should I have to buy a third party app just to connect with my PC. That's stupid. It should just work.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:41 AM
    Title fixed. Easy on the attitudes please.

OP, try this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-drive-774344/
    FF22 and eddy_berry like this.
    02-12-14 10:43 AM
    It works fine with my wife's iPhone, and it worked perfectly with my old android. So it's not the computer, it's the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is whatever's stopping BlackBerry Link from installing.

When you try to install it, what happens?

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:44 AM
    I, too, suggest wifi sharing. You can set it up in the Settings. No wires.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-12-14 11:07 AM
    The problem is whatever's stopping BlackBerry Link from installing.

When you try to install it, what happens?

Posted via CB10
    I don't necessarily want BlackBerry Link. Only the ability to transfer files back and forth from phone to computer and vice versa. Is link required to do that?

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 11:08 AM
    I've had this happen to a couple of people I know that don't have an SD card installed on their device.

But upon further investigation I also noticed that they didn't have LINK installed...

BlackBerry Link must be installed for the device to be properly detected and for the network drive to be mapped out. So OP not sure why it wont install on Windows 8.1 but it has to be able to.

There must me some steps you can troubleshoot to get BlackBerry Link to install.

Also try rebooting your device once, let it load up then connect it to your computer. Also, troubleshoot with your device by setting a password before you connect it to the computer.

I don't necessarily want BlackBerry Link. Only the ability to transfer files back and forth from phone to computer and vice versa. Is link required to do that?

Posted via CB10
    Once BlackBerry Link is installed, you don't necessarily HAVE to use it. It just needs to be installed so it can install the proper drivers as well. So once its installed you can just connect your device and Windows should map out your Device Drive so you can use Explorer to move files back and fourth as you wish.
    02-12-14 11:10 AM
    Wi-Fi sharing is your best option.
    Enable it, then set a password for your phone.
    Go to Settings>About>Network and write down your IPv4 address
    On your desktop, go to the Run Command line or open Windows Explorer and enter the IP like this: \\192.168.1.100\ (using YOUR IP of course)
    Click on the Media folder
    For the user name enter BlackBerry , then the password that you setup.
    Bingo, you're in.....
    02-12-14 11:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Link comes with BlackBerry Device Manager, which is necessary in order to connect to your device storage. However, I did manage to extract just the BlackBerry Device Manager installer, you can try installing that without Link.

https://mega.co.nz/#!GEUmkJAZ!Q5huni...nz7dYQzj-4NVzQ

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and BigBadWulf like this.
    02-12-14 11:42 AM
    I had some issues with link but never installing it. Even when kink didn't respond or recognize my z10, it would still show up as independent drives under my computer. Try not to use usb 3.0 as it did not help. Also, I suggest you ensure you are in desktop mode or "classic" windows to install. And make sure you have the latest version. Download, save and install rather than run from the download. Turn off everything else when downloading and even use either net versus wifi to download. This may help! Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 11:51 AM
    have you switched blackberry link on in the settings menu in the phone ?
    have you downloaded the link file from the blackberry web page under software then desktop software
    i have copied the web link

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...0E31AF7485EE07

on my computer which is a windows 7 pc
    the phone shows up as a 2 separate drives . one is the micro sd card and the other is the on board storage
    if you install the link software you can enable wifi file transfer , which saves you having to plug the phone in
    ohmz_zq likes this.
    02-12-14 01:03 PM
    make sure that theres no firewalls preventing the install..
    02-12-14 01:48 PM
    have you switched blackberry link on in the settings menu in the phone ?
    have you downloaded the link file from the blackberry web page under software then desktop software
    i have copied the web link

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...0E31AF7485EE07

on my computer which is a windows 7 pc
    the phone shows up as a 2 separate drives . one is the micro sd card and the other is the on board storage
    if you install the link software you can enable wifi file transfer , which saves you having to plug the phone in
    Yep. I did all of that. Updated my PC to the latest version of windows, went to the BlackBerry site to download the most recent link version. My PC crashes EVERY Time I attempt to download link. It will not recognize my BlackBerry when I plug it in. It should immediately recognize it. It does with my wife's iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 02-12-14 at 05:21 PM. Reason: removed useless derogatory statement
    02-12-14 05:04 PM
35 12