Ok so here I got some news. If you read my previous post you might remember that I got a SIM, changed the APN on my 8790 and then switched to the Z10 and nothing. Just like some guys here with unblocked phones I couldnt update to 10.0.10. Well yesterday I got the 10.1.0.1627 autoloader and gave it a try. Phone updated (finally installed WhatsApp yeah!) and took a look to the APN and thats it... nothing grayed. There were values I set on the 8790 and I was able to changed them. Turn off Wifi and could send messages through BBM, could download stuff, navigate over internet.

One thing is that the data service felt slow. Actually had a few problems downloading some apps back but I do have navigation over internet right now. Something I got to check is that my plan include 100Mb plus my BIS services so Im not sure if all that traffic are going through the 100Mb or BIS. Another point is that the user/password of the APN keep getting deleted so data services keeps coming and going... right now I got no data service.

I guess this is not the final answer but it kept me at least now from changing my data plan from BIS to some ****ty plans Claro Peru have.
    05-04-13 05:16 PM
    I agree this post. I aslo couldn't change APN setting on my BB z10 stl100-2 with OS 10.0.9.xxx. But now I updated it into OS 10.1.0.1483 and can change APN setting. But although I put the right APN name and save setting, data services is not working yet. In our country, there is no data plan and no BIS, BES. All phone can use data services by put "mptnet" into APN name box, no need user name and password. All phone can use data services such as Iphone, Android, Nokia ,blackberry bold 9900 etc. I also used data services with BB curve 8520, 9900 on this way. But now I can't use data services on my Z10 while all other phones can use. Blackberry is only for America and Europe? I am a BB fan. So do i need to stay at America or Europe? I still can't find any solution for that.

Thanks,
    Lmm.
    05-07-13 01:22 AM
    Not sure if this will help with all APN related issues, but for those who said that they were using "Roam Mobility" to roam into the US, I finally found a way to make my "Liberty Hotspot" work.

I deleted a large number of WiFi profiles in order to get below the magic 64. In my old 9900 the device would delete old profiles automatically and let the new profile be added. As soon as I tried to connect to the Roam Mobility Liberty device, after being below 64 profiles, it worked like a charm. It also allowed me to connect to the hotel WiFi, something that I could not do for over a day.

Good luck.
    05-14-13 07:58 AM
    Currently i'm only having luck with 10.0.10.116 which allows me to edit ALL APN fields with my Rogers and ATT Go Phone SIM.
    Previously before this update with same Rogers and ATT SIM these fields were not editable.

I'm assuming an oversight on rims part.
    05-14-13 02:26 PM
    Currently i'm only having luck with 10.0.10.116 which allows me to edit ALL APN fields with my Rogers and ATT Go Phone SIM.
    Previously before this update with same Rogers and ATT SIM these fields were not editable.

I'm assuming an oversight on rims part.
    Please you are being too kind. Blackberry has a large software team and a software verification team. It's there job not to miss anything. They have check lists and they have debug teams to test the new software releases. No way was it an oversight. Someone didn't do there job or intentional deactivated this APN editing function. Look at the number of software releases.
    Don't buy the Z10 or Q10 if you need to change the APN, which means anyone who travels or uses a prepaid card.
    05-21-13 06:42 PM
    Please you are being too kind. Blackberry has a large software team and a software verification team. It's there job not to miss anything. They have check lists and they have debug teams to test the new software releases. No way was it an oversight. Someone didn't do there job or intentional deactivated this APN editing function. Look at the number of software releases.
    Don't buy the Z10 or Q10 if you need to change the APN, which means anyone who travels or uses a prepaid card.
    After the update the APN is only locked with your carrier's sim card installed in the phone - it is greyed out and cannot be changed with the original carrier's sim card in it but once you put in a sim card for the carrier you wish to use (in my case Roam Mobility) the APN settings CAN be modified - I checked the APN settings when I put my Roam card in and it said T-Mobile or something like that and couldn't get data but I was able to change it to Roam and save it. After saving and rebooting the phone I got full 4G coverage.
    05-21-13 08:01 PM
    This apn issue is never ending.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:14 PM
    This apn issue is never ending.

Posted via CB10
    This appears to be no longer an issue
    05-21-13 08:32 PM
    Really? Don't get me started on it.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:39 PM
    This appears to be no longer an issue
    Are you kidding? The grayed out APN field is still a major problem for a lot of users. There hasn't been an official fix from BB to this date. Everything so far has been a work around and its not a guarantee that it will work for every Z10 or Q10. BB is holding out and there be a solution in the next year or so. Or that's what I think...
    For now everyone should avoid buying the Z10 or Q10 if they need to change the APN or are using prepaid SIMs or traveling outside Canada. There maybe problems and the only way to know for sure is to try the SIM in a BB phone.
    Please keep posting
    05-21-13 10:06 PM
    Really? Don't get me started on it.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I'm still waiting as well for a BB solution. No work around please. An official patch or OS upgrade is the only right solution. BB needs to hear from everyone about the APN problem. Warn everyone about the APN grayed out field. Get every user to try their SIM before they buy the Z10 or Q10. That way they will know for sure.
    05-21-13 10:12 PM
    After the update the APN is only locked with your carrier's sim card installed in the phone - it is greyed out and cannot be changed with the original carrier's sim card in it but once you put in a sim card for the carrier you wish to use (in my case Roam Mobility) the APN settings CAN be modified - I checked the APN settings when I put my Roam card in and it said T-Mobile or something like that and couldn't get data but I was able to change it to Roam and save it. After saving and rebooting the phone I got full 4G coverage.
    Is your plan prepaid or monthly? And are you able to get data?
    05-21-13 10:13 PM
    i got my z10 unlocked by tmobile......at first i could edit my APN but wen i went back to the states used my tmobile sim...came back to jamaica it wont let me edit it anymore
    05-28-13 01:11 PM
    Are you kidding? The grayed out APN field is still a major problem for a lot of users. There hasn't been an official fix from BB to this date. Everything so far has been a work around and its not a guarantee that it will work for every Z10 or Q10. BB is holding out and there be a solution in the next year or so. Or that's what I think...
    For now everyone should avoid buying the Z10 or Q10 if they need to change the APN or are using prepaid SIMs or traveling outside Canada. There maybe problems and the only way to know for sure is to try the SIM in a BB phone.
    Please keep posting
    I have a Roam SIM and while the APN settings are locked when my Rogers SIM card is inserted into my Q10, they are unlocked with the Roam SIM inserted. I am now 90% confident that when I travel to the States next month I won't have any issues... but the real test will only happen once I'm on US soil and I've popped that Roam SIM in and update the APN settings! Hopefully all will be okay!
    06-17-13 03:34 PM
    It appears to me to be a carrier thing and NOT a BB thing.
    I have an AT&T Z10 (unlocked, I bought it outright from AT&T).
    Using a AT&T SIM, the APN field is grayed out and using a AT&T MVNO (Net10) SIM, the APN field is grayed out,
    HOWEVER, using a T-Mobile SIM, the APN field is NOT grayed out and I can edit it at will.
    I'm virtually certainly it's a carrier SIM lock, not BB.

Thanks,
    Fred

Please keep posting
    06-17-13 04:51 PM
    I can confirm my rogers z10 worked great all through the usa with roam mobility sim. Apn is changeable. Only negatives are sometimes signal isn't great and you cannot use the mms function. Meaning you cannot send pics or attachments through text. Otherwise it's unbeatable for the price. I had a whole week down there, Dallas, phoenix, miami and it worked perfectly and the week cost me under 30 dollars for unlimited talk text and as much data as you could ever use. I will say the 4g service is nowhere near as fast as up here in canada.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 12:47 PM
    With my Roam SIM inserted, I can change the APN. With Rogers SIM inserted, I can't.

In fact, after re-inserting the Rogers SIM card, I have NO APN now (blank, but still greyed out, so unchangeable directly. I can do it via escreen -- -but it doesn't stick after a reboot.)

Still, a small price to pay for less exorbitant phone costs the next time I'm in the States for a few days.
    07-02-13 05:49 PM
    In fact, after re-inserting the Rogers SIM card, I have NO APN now (blank, but still greyed out, so unchangeable directly. I can do it via escreen -- -but it doesn't stick after a reboot.)
    Well, on a hunch, I edited the APN back to what it was on Rogers SIM originally, while still having the Roam SIM inserted. Then, restarting with the Rogers SIM re-inserted, it seemed to take hold. Maybe just a fluke and I did things in a weird order the first time around.
    07-02-13 06:10 PM
    I constantly change between 3 different SIM cards (all AT&T network, one prepaid, one contract and one NET10, a mvno. Neither allow the APN to be changed in the network settings), using the escreen to change the APN. Works pefectly and sticks through a reboot.

Fred
    07-02-13 06:31 PM
    OK, Homer Simpson here... very confused about this APN thing... so, sorry if this is a lame question: I'm on T-mo (usa) and apn name is, of course, "fast.t-mobile.com". I can change this, and type stuff into the username and password and then the "authentication type" button becomes useable. So... what's "grayed-out"?

Also, if I do change the apn name, so I need a password? Where the heck do I get it? OK, Doh!
    07-02-13 06:53 PM
    Have my Canadian (rogers) Z10 that I unlocked through crackberry. Worked great. I have my USA travel sim I use while traveling in the states. The simple works fine and I can make and receive calls but cannot get any data services. This is because I need to change the name of the apn. Previously, I used an iphone that you could change the apn to what I needed and everything works fine. With the Z10 the apn settings are grayed out and cannot be changed. From what I have read they are locked to the sim. Well this means that unlocking the Z10 to use for travel is now useless for data (unless on wifi). Data is hugely important obviously for everyone. The USA sim is t mobile and works great in my unlocked iphone. I just hate that thing and wanted to use my Z10. Why blackberry did this when no one else does is really frustrating.
    Does anyone know a workaround to make the apn changeable on the Z10? Is it possible to reprogram the sim with a different apn if the sim locks the apn on the Z10?
    I figure this is pretty important, everyone that is using unlocked Z10's will not be able to use data if they switch sim cards.
    Any help is appreciated.
    I'm not going to read through the entire thread, but I will let you know what my experience with APN is. When I first upgraded my OS to 10.1 I lost my APN completely. When I went in to the APN settings it was blank and grayed out.
    I discovered that BlackBerry had not included one in the update for Telus and Telus had not tested the OS throughly enough. I was told by both companies to wait for a new update. This was 6 weeks ago. Thanks to the forums, I have a solution that should work for you. If you can access your escreen, you can set the APN in General Radio. Once you add it you have to toggle an option back and forth so that you can press the Reset Modem button and your data should work. Mine randomly disappears and I have to go back to my escreen and add it again. But it's better than nothing. If you need help accessing you escreen, let me know.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 08:08 PM
    I need help accessing my escreen to change my APN on my unlocked z10. Thanks

[email protected];8751410]I'm not going to read through the entire thread, but I will let you know what my experience with APN is. When I first upgraded my OS to 10.1 I lost my APN completely. When I went in to the APN settings it was blank and grayed out.
    I discovered that BlackBerry had not included one in the update for Telus and Telus had not tested the OS throughly enough. I was told by both companies to wait for a new update. This was 6 weeks ago. Thanks to the forums, I have a solution that should work for you. If you can access your escreen, you can set the APN in General Radio. Once you add it you have to toggle an option back and forth so that you can press the Reset Modem button and your data should work. Mine randomly disappears and I have to go back to my escreen and add it again. But it's better than nothing. If you need help accessing you escreen, let me know.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]
    07-21-13 12:11 PM
    im still having this APN problem on the 10.2 .55 update is there a permanent fix seems like no ones is really able to answer this question blackberry you're really annoying me.
    12-14-13 07:06 AM
    Have you tried setting the network selection mode to manual instead of automatic before you try to change the APN?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 07:38 AM
    Is there any fix or workaround for this issue? I posted this question before finding this thread ...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0/#post9876829

Unlocked Z30, voice works, data - zip. I can edit APN gearbox in mobile network but it doesn't stay. Just magically disappears. I've tried doing the escreen:// thing ,no luck. Enter APN as soon as I move away from the field it disappears. I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
    01-20-14 07:52 AM
100 ... 234