It's not. I need the apn to be "roam" but it's something else and the apn area is grayed out and cannot be changed. I googled "change apn blackberry Z10" and a ton of people are experiencing the same issue. Some Sims will work fine for sure but many do not, that is why every other phone let's you change the apn name as needed.

when i heard about this, i checked my Z10 (Fido STL100-3) and notice that too...with an active fido sim .....2 days after i got it i had it unlocked. After reading posts on here, i was itching to do a test... but that requires me to cut my active indonesian (Indosat) sim card from mini to micro. After stalling to do that for a few days, i finally got my cutter out and snip it into a micro sim.

i power down my phone, switch the sims, and reboot the phone.... an error occured so i rebooted again. i thought i screwed up converting the sim but then when text messages started rolling in, it seems that Indosat was just seeking for their roaming partner..... =) that was a relief; bb is now connected with data(roaming) and so i then went into the apn settings.... to find out that its not greyed out......

APN Save test:

As theres a "reset to default" button, i change the apn and hit save..... and press the back button...... and went back into the apn setting to find out that it actually saved my modded apn..... i then clicked reset to default and it went back to the original Indosat apn.... again i hit save and exit, went back in and it stayed default. this tells me that the "save apn" feature works on my phone (as some have mentioned issues on saving APN's here on CB)

This test tells me that Indosat are allowing people to mod their APSs as needed.

Also, i noticed that when i rebooted my phone, the Fido splash screen is gone.....(@ shut down and restart)

After this i swapped the sim back to FIDO.... and 1. Splash screen came back and 2. APN field is back to being grayed out.

For those Z10 owners who are still wondering, theres nothing wrong with your devices....the ability to modify APNs are sim/provider dependant.....

It seems like MVNO users in North America(Some in Europe) are having issues changing the APN.... my take on this is, once the Z10 is released in your areas, things may change.... (more carriers may be added to the list of APN's thru software updates. ) for now, until release in your individual countries, maybe stick to major carriers if desperate.... BUT try changing your sims with the latest sim first and see if that work before moving or starting a new pay as you go/monthly plan. (most European countries give out free sims, so why not change your sim cards to the newest one.... and hope they have the most updated APN to be pushed to your new Z10's )

I had a non LTE Fido micro sim (APN: isp.fido.apn) before and wasnt getting any data on my Z10 from FIDO only on wifi...... but was all good after i switched it over to the LTE micro sim (APN: ltemobile.apn)

As for the active Indonesian Sim i used for this test, its an old active sim (2+ years old) and i did the test before the launch of the Z10 there.... and as i understand from friends, i think Telkomsel released it first there....this past week not Indosat.

I do have an active T-Mobile(US) pay as you go sim as well.... but i havent tried that yet as i havent cut it into micro sim.

Hope this helps and good luck..... if this post is a "repeat", i apologize in advance. =)
    03-08-13 06:17 AM
    Great post!

I have an unlocked Z10 and while the APN is present but greyed out with my Bell Mobility SIM, it is blank, but still greyed out with my Brightroam SIM from my roaming carrier, International SIM Cards, Cell Phones & Data Plans from Brightroam Presumably this is because I didn't purchase the optional data package for my trip to the Carribbean. It would seem that based on the anecdotal evidence here (and in other threads) that the splash screen and other carrier-specific information is dependent on the SIM itself....moreso than with previous BlackBerrys (and presumably) other types of smartphones.
    03-08-13 06:26 AM
    I pray that once this phone is released for at&t, my data will work for straight talk. If not, i'm going to have to get a different phone. This sucks so bad because I love my Z10
    03-08-13 06:41 AM
    I pray that once this phone is released for at&t, my data will work for straight talk. If not, i'm going to have to get a different phone. This sucks so bad because I love my Z10
    Hi @tp2386.....

First off, DONT sell your Z10/get another phone.... haha..... relax.... review options below..... ok.... you do love that Z dont you?? =)

just wondering, is your straight talk apn : att.mvno? if it is, this is what i think....

IF ATT added all their apns to the Z10's APN list, it will work.

BUT..... if they decide that only actual ATT sims(pay as you go or monthly plans) are allowed then... NO it wont work.

ATT may decide to limit MVNO's to run only on their 3G network or worse, on their wap data only... if thats the case then,

OPTION 1: stay on ATT's network:

1. move to another MVNO that uses APN: pta (apparently thats their LTE APN?? someone please double check)

ATT MVNO's**: (Check for APN : pta )
    Air Voice
    Red Pocket
    Jolt Mobile
    H20
    Net10/Straight Talk
    Pure Talk
    Good2Go

**Some are shared with ATT (if SIM is used) or Verizon(CDMA...unsure for LTE Sim use)

2. or if the 3G APN is added to the Z's list its APN: wap.cingular*

3. As undesirable the plans are, last time i checked, go on pay as you go with data on ATT themselves(Last resort)

* given that ATT have the habit of forcing users to use their latest data (3G instead of 2G/ 4G instead of 3G....now LTE; network toggles disabled the minute an ATT sim is popped in) most probably, you have to seek an MVNO using an LTE apn. only then it would work., my thoughts.

OPTION2:

Moving to TMOBILE or ANY MVNO's using the APN: epc.tmobile.com.... (someone have tested this, posted some where on CB and it works)

T-Mobile MVNO's** (Check for APN : epic.tmobile.com)

Solavei and Ready SIM (apparently confirmed for LTE once live (info from android central)
    Simple Mobile
    Spot Mobile
    Roam Mobility

**Some are shared with ATT (if SIM is used) or Verizon(CDMA...unsure for LTE Sim use)

Port your number to T-Mobile or any MVNO using epic.tmobile.com APN and pop your sim into an unlocked Z10 from ATT or get one from T-Mobile themselves (instagram snap shots of T-Mobile branded boxes of Z10 are posted on CB somewhere so they are prepping =)) using their new payment plan or however you want to pay for the Z10; if opting for an MVNO.

The info is given to the best of my knowledge, info on cellular band use (850/1900/1700....etc) as well as active MVNO's check wiki (link below)

htt://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_opera tors

i dont know if am allowed to post links..... but add the "p" to the url above.

i dont know what plan you have currently and using what phone, but am sure you'll find one that works for you...... THANK GOD FOR NUMBER PORTABILITY!! =)

Good Luck!! Hope you really get the Z10 (or Q10)

FYI, Canada have 3 Major carriers(Rogers/Telus/Bell), 2 discount carriers(FIDO+Koodo) owned by the 3 major guys, Plus 2 decent MVNO (with non wap data; Virgin and PC-mobility(on Bells network; i dont know if Virgin is still considered an MVNO) + 2 independant discount carrier (Mobilicity and Windmobile, on AWS)..... ive tried them all with the exception of public mobile as theyre CDMA and was on Bell and Telus when they switched to the SIM system...... and yet i still have my original FIDO number..... Am currently on FIDO again and am gonna stay this time as its the one that works best for me.... and PC-Mobile (pay as you go)

Hope this helps. =)
    Last edited by toboy; 03-11-13 at 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling and erratic smileys
    nick.clute and tp2386 like this.
    03-11-13 04:25 AM
    I aslo have to face this problem. I got a Z10 from UK and it was unlocked already. For every phone data services, we have to put "mptnet" on APN name box in Yangon(Myanmar). MPT is a only one operator in Myanmar. But now I can't type any words and text box is grayed out. Please help me for this issue.

LMM.
    Last edited by MaungLmm; 03-18-13 at 04:51 AM.
    03-18-13 12:41 AM
    Now that AT&T released it, you should try it again with your straight talk SIM card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-22-13 02:28 AM
    Could you pls inform which software version and phone model you using ?
    03-23-13 10:37 AM
    Pls inform your software version and phone model
    03-23-13 10:40 AM
    Could you pls inform the software version on your phone from Dubai
    03-23-13 10:43 AM
    Hi Guys,

I'm having the same issue. I have a factory unlocked Z10, below is my information:

Model: STL100-1
    Carrier: LIME

Other Information:

1. Phone has not been released yet in this country but is coming soon.
    2. Tried updating OS via website, it started but failed at 22%. I tried again but got a notice saying that there are not updates available.
    3. Data only works over wifi.
    4. Call and text work as normal
    5. APN settings are grayed out

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I paid about $670 US for my phone and I'm really hurt right now.
    03-30-13 01:16 PM
    If between your carrier and BlackBerry support (ask for them when you talk to your carrier) you cannot figure it out there is not much that can be done. We won't be able to help you here unfortunately. It is a stupid limitation of the phone that is put in by BlackBerry for no apparent reason at all and other than screwing with a bunch of customers it simply adds nothing to the experience. It only takes away from it. It also makes it less likely for people who like to be able to use their phones whenever and whereever to chose a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    sickyute likes this.
    03-30-13 01:35 PM
    It does seem to us to be a meaningless limitation, but it may have been a heavy carrier request and lets face it during this time its the carrier support that will help Blackberry the most, unfortunately the majority of people that notice such a thing are in a minority.

That being said, I haven't followed this APN issue since we got T-Mobile here in the states and it worked flawlessly but since it is so SIM card settings dependent would it be possible to get a new SIM card for your carrier? Perhaps if you escalate through enough support levels somebody can burn one specifically for you with the right settings? Just thinking out loud.
    03-30-13 10:38 PM
    Has anyone figured this issue out yet? I have an AT&T Blackberry Z10 that I am trying to use with Straight Talk. Voice and texts work fine, but I cannot get data to work due to not being able to edit the APN. Normally any AT&T phone, unlocked or not, can be used with a Straight Talk SIM by editing the APN. Why on earth is this phone different than every other smartphone out there? What exactly was Blackberry thinking?
    04-07-13 03:07 PM
    I just contacted the Supportdesk of the MVNO which I use. The tell us that the APN settings are not at the SIM but on the device.

The MVNO did advice me to contact Blackberry.

The support employee tells me that there a (not by his knowledge) there are telco operators which program APN
    settings at the SIM's and that the 3GPP standard gives not the possibility fill these in the elementery files (EF).

Thereby my MVNO tells me that there is a need for a Blackberry APN by the MVNO is that correct? Is that still the fact with BB10? So if this MVNO decide not to support a Blackberry APN the use of BB10 is impossible?

Thereby and just a little frustation; where are the people from Crackberry with the Blackberry contacts? This is a big issue in mine opionion.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-08-13 07:25 AM
    Can you ask your SIM provider to push the APN setting by SMS? Have anyone try this?
    04-10-13 03:23 PM
    I returned my Z10 due to not being able to edit the APN. Blackberry is full of it if they are telling you that there has to be a special entry programmed into the SIM. Every other smartphone that works on a GSM network lets you edit the APN manually and there is no reason why the Z10 shouldn't work the same way.

Back to my Galaxy Note 2
    bronco26 likes this.
    04-16-13 08:58 PM
    I returned my Z10 due to not being able to edit the APN. Blackberry is full of it if they are telling you that there has to be a special entry programmed into the SIM. Every other smartphone that works on a GSM network lets you edit the APN manually and there is no reason why the Z10 shouldn't work the same way.

Back to my Galaxy Note 2
    Not sure if you saw the post but I was able to change my apn by going through the engineering screen. Sad that it has to be done this way but it is possible. I too have an AT&T Z10 on straight talk.

Blackberry really messed up with this apn crap. Just googling Z10 apn and seeing all of the results, tell you all you need to know about how people feel about it. How am I supposed to recommend this phone to others I know on straight talk when they can't get data? Oh well, maybe this will be fixed in the 10.1 update.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 12:30 AM
    Many (including me) have reported that they were able for change their APN when roaming with their unlocked Z10 on another carrier's SIM card. Personally I have no problem with the APN being unchangeable since this will avoid support calls when customers screw up the settings. Why do you need to change the APN on your home carrier in the first place?

I think the untold story is that people want to change their APN to one that doesn't meter their tethered usage to avoid/evade data charges.

So, does this make the Z10 broken? Not IMHO.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-17-13 08:17 AM
    Many (including me) have reported that they were able for change their APN when roaming with their unlocked Z10 on another carrier's SIM card. Personally I have no problem with the APN being unchangeable since this will avoid support calls when customers screw up the settings. Why do you need to change the APN on your home carrier in the first place?

I think the untold story is that people want to change their APN to one that doesn't meter their tethered usage to avoid/evade data charges.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    While I can understand your point about customers inadvertently imputing incorrect APNs may tie up support resources, I think you are missing the point a lot of posters are concerned with about the APN settings.

On one's own home network, I could hope that the SIM card populates the APN settings correctly, and you're correct, why would one want to change that if it works correctly? You are missing the other half of the big picture in that a lot of complaints toward the APN setting lock down is in regards to international SIM cards not populating themselves correctly on the Z10, leaving users unable to enjoy a wide range of carriers other phones can.

For example, I would quite enjoy using Roam Mobility, but I cannot due to the APN settings being locked down once their SIM card is inserted. See my post on that here.

Am I trying to cheat the system by wanting to open up the APN settings? Of course not. I am merely trying to change these settings to allow me to use Roam Mobility in addition to other prepaid services which are unfortunately unavailable to me right now. I am unable to use services such as Straight Talk due to this limitation.

It is unacceptable that the Z10 is handicapped in this capacity and users must go out of their way to find specific fixes, as some did by applying the new AT&T update to their Canadian phones. I have seen first hand, in real time, American and International SIM cards that can have their APN settings edited on the iPhone 5 and a Samsung Galaxy S3, but not on the Z10. Broken? No. Unreasonable limitation. Yes.

While I am happy to hear you were able to edit the APN settings on the networks you tried while roaming, many others have not been able to due to this limitation. This has been very well documented on the CrackBerry forums about this issue. Why should users be limited to specific carriers on phones they have properly unlocked and own outright? I am huge advocate of BlackBerry and always will be, but this limitation is plaguing an otherwise top notch phone.
    webmeister and bronco26 like this.
    04-17-13 10:07 AM
    Thank you for an excellent and respectful reply! I have been educated!
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-17-13 10:18 AM
    "the ability to modify APN settings " on Z10 OS (leaked 10.1)

Have anyone tried loading the leaked OS and confirm if the APN is NOT grayed out and can be changed when used with a major carrier sim cards (ie Rogers/Fido/Bell/Telus/T-Mobile/AT&TVodafone,O2) and their respective MVNO companies?
    I have just downloaded the Leaked OS... but havent loaded it yet......thought Id ask first.....

will keep you all posted here when i get to loading it (Re: "open/unrestricted " APN fields on 10.1 OS(leaked))
    04-21-13 05:26 AM

I guess you don't care because you are not affected. I am now in Spain and bought a prepaid card to avoid high
    roaming costs and I can not change the APN on my unlocked German Z10. That sucks! I am really glad that my wife has an Android phone so that I can set it up as a mobile hotspot. Seriously, I can understand everyone who return the Z10 because of this APN issue. The Z10 is meant as a tool but it is ridicules that it does not work properly with SIM cards that work with any other phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 05:37 AM
    I have a canadian Z10 STB100-3. Here in Per� I'm with Claro Per�. Used to have a 9780 and had no problem changing the APN on it but as with others phone mine have the APN areas grayed as well and as others have no data with my BIS (limitless) plan. With Z10 Claro is giving no BIS plans and in this way they are forcing clients to change to their new limit-cheesy plans.

Giving this a thought this is what I came with: I going to go to Claro and ask them to change the Z10 microSIM to a SIM because Im going back to the 9780. After this Im going to cut it down to the appropiate size as Toboy did and give it that a last try. It could be a solution but if not I think that I'll be forced to change my BIS plan into the new ones.

I'll let you know to the end of the next week what happened.
    04-21-13 07:41 PM
    I went to my carrier and they reset and reloaded everything back on my sim and it worked

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 03:50 PM
    Hi... Im back with some info. Changed the microSIM of the Z10 to a SIM to used on the 9780. The APN wasnt configured in the new SIM chip but I had data service. I gave a look to facebook, whatsapp, navigate through internet. I didn�t have all the 3 values (that my provider didnt want to give me by phone) I need to configure the APN just the first which is blackberry.net. The thing is that I used the wap (iphone and others) values. When I put the chip (trimmed) into the Z10 all the values were grayed. I took the now microSIM and put it back the better I could on the 9780 and the values were there. Im going tomorrow to one of my provider stores to ask for the Blackberry APN values but I think that they will be "gone" once I put it in the Z10.

Does anybody know how to reset the sim?
    04-28-13 11:49 PM
100 1234