APN settings being grayed out have nothing to do with you phone. Blackberry has given carriers the option to either disable or enable the feature. Canadian carriers have chosen to have the feature disabled if you put their sim in your z10, but as soon as you put a uk sim in, voila you can enter APN settings. It's all up to the carriers.
    How sure are you of that? I belive the phones sold in different regions (N/A UK) are sent out with different os versions allowing the ability to lock the settings or not...
    There should be nothing within the sim programming that can modify phone features that has not already been programmed into the phone ahead of time.
    02-19-13 11:37 AM
    Weird. With rogers in Canada it is grayed out. I put in my roam mobility sim and the apn isn't showing roam but is still grayed out. So is this something rogers programmed in the phone or is it the sim encoding. Can a sims encoding be changed to show a different apn
    02-19-13 12:04 PM
    APN settings on Bell Z10 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

How sure are you of that? I belive the phones sold in different regions (N/A UK) are sent out with different os versions allowing the ability to lock the settings or not...
    There should be nothing within the sim programming that can modify phone features that has not already been programmed into the phone ahead of time.
    02-19-13 01:01 PM
    This does not explain why certain users on certain phones have full control over their APN...don't get me started on how I feel about this setting being locked in general. I'll just say that in my books having this setting locked is a huge minus for the BlackBerry and its universality as a true world phone. I have no idea what bright soul thought that this is a good move.
    02-19-13 01:27 PM
    Well I assume it is like in case of apps.

RIM does not have the power of apple to say a thing to the operators. It will obey. And things will be messy.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 03:41 PM
    I have a dev alpha 10 with the production OS on it. I'm unable to change the APN when I insert a Telia micro sim card in the phone, so data doesn't work at all.

Put in a Telenor sim card and while I still can't change the APN settings, at least the sim card settings are correct. Data works correctly.

It seems that if I were to get an unlocked Z10 from somewhere and bring it to Sweden, I'd not be able to use it with Telia sim card. BlackBerry really should allow people to change this setting.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 03:51 PM
    well, here is the current skinny. I spent literally an entire day on this, well 6 hours to be exact. on the phone with Rogers and Blackberry. Dealing with both of them is a trying experience to be polite about it.
    After my last 1:45 minute call with level 2 Blackberry tech programming, they "aren't sure" what the issue is. great. I have been promised a call within the next 48 hours with definitive answers. here is where they stand currently:
    - They agree that you should be able to change the apn settings (at least the 6 people I talked too agree), they believe it is an "oversight"
    - They do not know why some people in the UK are able to to change them and even apparently some in N America.
    - They say that BB10 is supposed to have the APN settings grayed out by default - and that the apn will get its info from the sim card. Why this was a choice is yet to be found out.
    - They are well aware that every other phone available and even their own legacy phones have customizable APN settings.
    - They say they will get the proper information for me and get back to me within 24 - 48 hours, this information may be tough luck, or maybe it will change in a software update, or we may be able to change it now.
    I will follow up when I have new information.
    02-19-13 07:03 PM
    Thanks for doing the leg work in contacting BB for some answers, if the outcome to all of this is the ability to change the apn freely, then I'll happily purchase another z10...
    02-19-13 07:52 PM
    Got my factory unlocked Z10 today from an UK retailer (unlocked-mobiles.com). I myself live in Finland, where Blackberry devices are pretty much non existent. There is only one "virtual" operator that sells them.

I was on Wifi all day at work so I didn't have any problems, but on the way home on the bus I wanted to surf the web a little bit. I noticed that I don't have mobile data access. I checked the settings and found the place for APN settings.

I can edit the APN settings fine, but the Z10 doesn't save the info when I press save. I don't know from where it gets the APN settings it currently has (it is the virtual operators settings i mentioned up there). So the situation currently is that I can only have data when I'm in WIFI.

I really, really hope this is a bug with BB OS 10 and will be corrected with a software update, because why else would RIM/Blackberry sell unlocked versions of the phone.
    02-20-13 08:43 AM
    well, here is the current skinny. I spent literally an entire day on this, well 6 hours to be exact. on the phone with Rogers and Blackberry. Dealing with both of them is a trying experience to be polite about it.
    After my last 1:45 minute call with level 2 Blackberry tech programming, they "aren't sure" what the issue is. great. I have been promised a call within the next 48 hours with definitive answers. here is where they stand currently:
    - They agree that you should be able to change the apn settings (at least the 6 people I talked too agree), they believe it is an "oversight"
    - They do not know why some people in the UK are able to to change them and even apparently some in N America.
    - They say that BB10 is supposed to have the APN settings grayed out by default - and that the apn will get its info from the sim card. Why this was a choice is yet to be found out.
    - They are well aware that every other phone available and even their own legacy phones have customizable APN settings.
    - They say they will get the proper information for me and get back to me within 24 - 48 hours, this information may be tough luck, or maybe it will change in a software update, or we may be able to change it now.
    I will follow up when I have new information.
    I hope you bring us some good news. The inability to change the apn has already resulted in me recommending two people not to buy or return their current z10 because they would have no guarantee that it would work with any carrier when traveling. BlackBerry needs to get on this asap...This will cost sales. The apn should be fully modifiable on any unlocked phone.

Posted via CB10
    inffy likes this.
    02-20-13 09:04 AM
    What I don't get is why it is legal to restrict a person like that, who purchased the device outright and just tries to use different SIM cards he also purchased from the carriers.
    This is pretty fraudulent in my opinion.
    That's like buying a car and being restricted to use the roads or not.
    And on top of this it ONLY seems to affect BB again.
    If you bought a phone and a SIM card, let it work! It's not like you're stealing data!
    You PAID for it!
    inffy and phylez like this.
    02-20-13 09:07 AM
    Been trying to get data working with an unlocked (STL100-3) Z10 on Mobilicity and here is what I've learned so far:

1) European Z10's seem not to have locked APN's - as stated by others.

2a) If I use the build 'Autoload.10.0.09.2372.0x8400240a.0x8500240a.0x870 0240a.exe.zip' the APN on my device gets populated with 'bb.davewireless'. It is greyed out as others have stated with the result NO DATA (including Tethering and HotSpot).

2b) If I use the build 'Autoload.10.0.10.261.0x8400240a.0x8500240a.0x8700 240a.exe.zip' the APN under wireless settings does NOT get populated at all and is still greyed out. BUT I am able to set up the correct APN of 'wap.davewireless.com' under Tethering and HotSpot - result DATA DOES WORK (but not the browser).

3) I tried playing with AT+ Commands and am able to set up an APN with 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"wap.davewireless.com" and even activate it with 'AT+CGACT=1,1' but it does not seem to overwrite the device settings...
    MusicMtl likes this.
    02-20-13 03:02 PM
    I got this fixed with the new leaked OS update

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...device-774407/
    QuantumQnx and nick.clute like this.
    02-21-13 05:59 AM
    I can change my apn. I am on Singapore starhub network. It is not even launched in Singapore yet.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 06:03 AM
    so what's the verdict?
    02-23-13 02:02 AM
    so what's the verdict?
    It depends on Your carrier, sim card etc
    02-23-13 06:24 AM
    I have a Rogers unlocked Z10 with Thai sim on TRUE network. Everything works, APN is editable. I don't think it's the phone

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 06:29 AM
    It seems that it depends on your sim card. If the sim is locked, you can't change it whether your phone is locked or not.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 09:47 AM
    It seems that it depends on your sim card. If the sim is locked, you can't change it whether your phone is locked or not.

Posted via CB10
    The locked apn settings are still a function of the phone and its internal apn list.. If you take that same sim an insert it into a different phone the apn settings are not locked..
    This just further shows that blackberry blocked the settings by request of certain carriers..
    phylez likes this.
    02-23-13 10:53 AM
    Update to my post #32. unfortunately and as expected blackberry has not returned with any information, and when I called in yesterday they told me my case # shows as closed.
    Blackberry, your tradition of horrible customer service continues I see. nice work. wish I could run my business the same way and keep millions of loyal followers.
    02-28-13 10:57 AM
    I am in UAE, i can change my APN
    02-28-13 11:06 AM
    I am in UAE, i can change my APN
    it depends on the carrier you use:
    for example: i tried 2 carriers in Austria, "3" and "BOB" (which is a subsidiary of A1, the biggest mobile provider in Austria). With BOTH SIM-Cards it was not possible to connect to the internet or change the APN settings (both companies couldn't help me). Now i use T-Mobile and everything works.
    02-28-13 11:32 AM
    I can easily edit the APN which is only the carrier name. There is no username and password. Question: What is the point of changing the APN? How does it help?
    02-28-13 11:40 AM
    I finally heard back from Blackberry. They took awhile but did call back. the tech was a pretty nice guy and we talked for a long time about a ton of stuff but in the end the word was : they may or may not update the ability to change the APN settings in the future and have no date to do this. he did acknowledge they have had many complaints about this issue.
    they then sent me a nice email to let me know my case was "resolved" . Unfortunate but at least its an answer I guess.
    03-08-13 12:56 AM
    Thanks for doing the leg work. It's disappointing that BlackBerry would design the phone with a feature that cripples its functionality for consumers and only benefits the carriers. Especially since previous BlackBerry models has this ability.

Not being able to use an unlocked phone because of incorrect apn settings is ridiculous. Are you listening BlackBerry? This needs to be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 05:15 AM
100 1234