So my blackberry decided to die out yesterday and won't start and my 2 batteries either aren't charging or something else is wrong with the phone that keeps it from starting up.

I'm not looking to stay with BB if this one doesn't start up again by this coming weekend when I will get a new phone because I don't trust the reliability.

Any people have suggestions on what they found to be a good alternative brand and model to a z10 (I'm more likely to choose android or windows over iPhone) and I have Verizon.

I use the phone for my alarm, flashlight, gps (waze and bb maps presently), texting, internet searches, personal and work email (my work uses outlook but not an exchange), facebook, and would like hotspot capability and voice recognition to make calls, find addresses, and send texts and emails. I'm not a gamer.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    12-17-14 05:03 PM
    Why are you posting this on Crackberry? It's a blackberry fan forum!

Go on a isheep or Android forum if you want a balanced view rather than suggestions like: get a passport or questions like: define what you mean with reliability issues - the blackberry OS is the most stable on the market!

Just saying...

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:18 PM
    I believe that many blackberry users can be unbiased and offer useful suggestions about other products. I don't find a phone that simply stops working to be high on any reliability scale that I know of. I found that my phone's present problem that makes it un-usable has been the subject of other threads and the problem wasn't resolved according to the threads so I don't want to have get another phone with this prospective problem.
    12-17-14 05:39 PM
    Get a used z10 on ebay for 80$

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 07:01 PM
    If you've decided to abandon BlackBerry and crackberry *sniffles* then I'd recommend android. OS looks decent and not ridiculously overpriced phones cough cough apple. I've had a spin on my sisters Nokia lumia and it's complete **** in my opinion. It's unorganised and the settings are a complete cluster****

Posted with my z10 stl100-2 running 10.2.1.3442
    Jrox74 likes this.
    12-17-14 07:17 PM
    I couldn't imagine using another OS and using a home button. I swipe and peek countless of times a day to glance at messages.

A couple of my co-workers have Windows phone and looks pretty cool. I really like their live tiles but other than that, don't know much about that OS.

Sorry to hear about your phone. How long have you had it and did it literally just die w/o warning?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 07:30 PM
    I believe that many blackberry users can be unbiased and offer useful suggestions about other products. I don't find a phone that simply stops working to be high on any reliability scale that I know of. I found that my phone's present problem that makes it un-usable has been the subject of other threads and the problem wasn't resolved according to the threads so I don't want to have get another phone with this prospective problem.
    Have a Z10 and a Q10 since day one. In addition to the Dev devices. All still work. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have dropped my Z10 on the floor - too many. It's taken more abuse than my iPad which I threw onto my bed (it had one of those stupidly expensive magnetic covers on) and my Z10 landed on top of it. Needless to say Z10 - no scratch. Ipad mini: cracked screen!

I find the built quality of the Z10 cheap but structurally it's perfect. In terms of reliability, good luck with android as they are very hit and miss once you go outside the Google built nexus!

And as the poster above says: I agree I find it almost impossible to use something with a home button after the BB10 UI!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 05:50 AM
    It happened to me, my BlackBerry Z10 has died several times in a the last months, I got an android device (BQ Aquaris E5 FHD) that was great but I missed BB10 and I had to come back.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 03:46 PM
    I would recommend you look at the Lumia 830 it looks really cool, has a great camera and is a bargain in my opinion. You could also go for a OneplusOne you can get it without an invite right now. I hear the battery is not so great on it though.

That being said you should consider going for a Z30 also, I don't personally have one but I have heard great things from people that upgraded from z10 to z30.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 03:54 PM
    I had the same thing happen... I ended up charging the battery a little by pulling it out and just barely letting it touch the three battery prongs in the phone while plugged in ... had to do it for about an hour as it seems some leaks don't recognize a dead battery to allow for charging only and will cycle on until completely discharged... you can't get the phone to stay on once it is that drained and it will not charge due to the processing in the startup sequence

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 04:22 PM
    When my last Z10 died I got a Nexus 5. Its a good device but I'm not sure if Verizon supports it. Certain aspects of lollipop remind me of BB 10.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    12-18-14 04:26 PM
    Thanks for the further replies. I've had the phone for probably 18 months and have been using a 10.3.1.600 leaked OS and it has been nothing but trouble in terms of connecting up to charge the batteries. It died 2 days ago when I was using it. It was working and I was checking emails, then I turned it off and put it away because I wouldn't be using it again for several hours that day. But I thought of something I wanted to check, and when to turn it on, and it would not restart and hasn't since. I'll try your suggestion III 4U2NV III III 4U2NV III
    12-18-14 09:09 PM
    Thanks for the further replies. I've had the phone for probably 18 months and have been using a 10.3.1.600 leaked OS and it has been nothing but trouble in terms of connecting up to charge the batteries. It died 2 days ago when I was using it. It was working and I was checking emails, then I turned it off and put it away because I wouldn't be using it again for several hours that day. But I thought of something I wanted to check, and when to turn it on, and it would not restart and hasn't since. I'll try your suggestion III 4U2NV III III 4U2NV III
    Dude, you were using a leak and your phone died so you call it unreliable????Seriously? It's in the name: LEAK!!

A leak is not bug free nor has it been officially sanctioned as an OS by Blackberry. Every leak comes with disclaimers and warnings and if it were up to Chen or BlackBerry you wouldn't even hear about leaks.

You are not giving the Z10 the credit it's due if you are calling it and the OS unreliable whilst using a leak. This thread is now pointless.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 09:17 PM
    im trying the suggestion to touch a battery to the prongs in the phone and I got a red light on the phone but it has flickered out, Touching the other battery to the prongs is not getting any response from the phone
    12-18-14 09:22 PM
    im trying the suggestion to touch a battery to the prongs in the phone and I got a red light on the phone but it has flickered out, Touching the other battery to the prongs is not getting any response from the phone
    Have you tried hooking it up to a laptop and starting it with Link software. Use a USB 3 port though as it has more power. This has worked in the past....

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 09:27 PM
    real mikey b you're an ..hole so go pound your stupid crackberry abusive self into a stupid cave where jerks like you belong. Thanks to the rest of you who at least try to be realistic and not so ..ing biased or stupid.
    12-19-14 07:07 PM
    Yes I tried t connecting it to my usb 3 port on my laptop and it didn't draw a response. I got a limited temporary red light trying to barely touch the prongs of the one battery I have that seems to have a charge but couldn't sustain the light when I held the battery against the phone.
    12-19-14 07:13 PM
    Yes I tried t connecting it to my usb 3 port on my laptop and it didn't draw a response. I got a limited temporary red light trying to barely touch the prongs of the one battery I have that seems to have a charge but couldn't sustain the light when I held the battery against the phone.
    It will take a while to charge it using the prongs lightly, you don't want the light to come on as then you have to much contact and it will drain before it powers on... I had to do this for like an hour one time because of how long it takes

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 07:26 PM
    Face down on a table with the battery resting on the prongs might work pretty good if you are careful on battery placement. Option 2 would be to get one of the Z10 spare battery charging packs they sell on CrackBerry as you can plug it into USB to charge and then switch the battery to the device...

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 07:33 PM
    Thanks Russwoman. I left it in that position overnight last night as best I could and didn't get it charged after the light went out. I'll try it again when I can leave it in that position for an extended period of time. I'll. also try to leave it on the usb 3 port and see what happens.
    12-19-14 07:43 PM
    Just so I understand your logic. If you chose another phone from another platform and it becomes "unusable ", are you going to also claim that platform unreliable and look for an alternative again? How long have you had the Z10 for? Keep in mind the Z10 is coming up on 2 years and as someone has mentioned already, you can pick up a new one for under $100 if you look online. Save yourself the hassle of switching to a new OS and money on over priced hardware (referring to iOS).

Or, and this might be a wild crazy suggestion so hear me out.......you do what the rest of us Z10 owners did and upgrade to a Z30!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    the_real_mikeyb likes this.
    12-19-14 11:29 PM
    It happened to me, my BlackBerry Z10 has died several times in a the last months, I got an android device (BQ Aquaris E5 FHD) that was great but I missed BB10 and I had to come back.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry but having used cellular devices for the last 15 years and working in the industry for the same amount of time. There is one thing I've learned......

**** happens! Your phone suddenly dies, you dropped it, it becomes defective whatever. But if you have the same phone die several times on you, either you're mistreating the phone or your introducing some action causing the phone to become defective e.g. using a bad charger, using it outside when its raining (yes people do that), SIM card is faulty etc. Just sayin.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    12-19-14 11:43 PM
    How long have you had your phone?
    12-20-14 06:17 AM
    So my blackberry decided to die out yesterday and won't start and my 2 batteries either aren't charging or something else is wrong with the phone that keeps it from starting up.

I'm not looking to stay with BB if this one doesn't start up again by this coming weekend when I will get a new phone because I don't trust the reliability.

Any people have suggestions on what they found to be a good alternative brand and model to a z10 (I'm more likely to choose android or windows over iPhone) and I have Verizon.

I use the phone for my alarm, flashlight, gps (waze and bb maps presently), texting, internet searches, personal and work email (my work uses outlook but not an exchange), facebook, and would like hotspot capability and voice recognition to make calls, find addresses, and send texts and emails. I'm not a gamer.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Contact BlackBerry Customer Care. My Z10 on AT&T died about 2-3 months ago, and they RMA'ed my out of warranty device.
    Attn: Stacey

[email protected]

They'll help you, as they've help myself and others. And a lot of the useless comments here, I'm sure frustrated you as much as they have me. If you decide to go Android, the OnePlus One device is the best Android device on the market, and is half the price, with all the hardware.
    12-20-14 06:28 AM
    Firephone just dropped to 229 unlocked.

Or just get another z10 or 30.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-20-14 12:58 PM
88 123 ...