The actual message that renders the phone useless.
    My Z10 suddenly got IMEI locked.-devicepinblocked.png
    09-28-13 07:31 AM
    The phone was bought brand new unlocked to any carrier, it's not stolen or anything and my sim card works perfectly in my older phone right now. Why has it been blocked? Can't think of anything that makes me deserve this, seriously Any suggestion on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.
    09-28-13 12:23 PM
    contact your carrier so they can transfer to bb possibly.

Posted via CB10
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    09-28-13 01:10 PM
    Thanks for the advice MobileMadness.. But I don't really know how to use this information. The phone has been working flawlessly for at least two months with my current carrier.
    09-28-13 04:08 PM
    You know? I don't know if I'm way off base here or not, but sometimes people are just plain dumb.
    Not you OP.....
    Those IMEI numbers are pretty long.
    Why do I have a feeling that someone reported their device stolen and reported a single digit or so incorrectly?
    Now the OP is suffering due to someones inattentiveness.

I get that a lot with random BBM invites from people I don't know. They input the PIN number incorrectly.
    Or, sometimes people think they are entering the correct password, but they actually are not, so the device wipes.

I bet it's something silly like that.
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    09-28-13 04:44 PM
    If the imei were locked I do not believe a factory reset would work. I vote for bug in his os which he said he changed. Upgrade (or down grade) the os and it should be a go. You can factory reset with Link or perhaps load a new os as is - that I don't know
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    09-28-13 11:53 PM
    I would have tried that trick, but the problem was already resolved when it came back from service. If it happens again I will try that method before I do a factory restore.

It's definitely a weird bug.. I will load a newer version ( > 10.1.0.1880) of the OS as soon I can cause the problem could occur again. Don't know if that helps though..
    OK, some of the OS upgrades have a built in data base of IMEI numbers (and/or PIN numbers) that are listed as lost or stolen. It sounds like what may be happening is you are updating to that specific OS and then your IMEI (or PIN) matches the built in data base and it locks your phone.

In the end, however, this is your seller's responsibility -- that is to refund or replace... not screw around.
    Last edited by scrannel; 09-30-13 at 07:37 AM.
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    09-29-13 12:15 AM
    OK, some of the OS upgrades have a built in data base of IMEI numbers (and/or PIN numbers) that are listed as lost or stolen. It sounds like what may be happening is you are updating to that specific OS and then your IMEI (or PIN) matches the built in data base and it locks your phone.

In the end, however, this is your seller's responsibility -- that is to refund or replace... now screw around.
    I had this happen a little while ago. I'd bought a brand new Blackberry from a Blackberry employee. Turns out they'd stolen 10 handsets from work and were selling them. Blackberry had locked down the imei number, so the phone wouldn't work. I passed on the name of the seller and they arranged a refund and helped with Paypal. Hope he went to jail.
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    09-29-13 12:25 AM
    Thanks everyone for your time, suggestions and theories. I appreciate It. Seems I'll have to return it to my dealer again. The "factory reset" they claimed they did the last time is probably a little more powerful than what can be accomplished using blackberry link, I assume.

What i think is a little weird is that has been working so well for so long time without any problems. When i got the official OS update 10.1 from blackberry the random reboots totally disappeared to. It's not like the blocking has appeared immediate after any OS upgrade. strange…

Thanks again!
    09-29-13 11:46 AM
    RETURN it to your dealer. Don't have him "fix" it because it can't be fixed. He sold you a blocked phone.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-13 07:39 AM
    There's another thread that just cropped up yesterday with the same issue. I have not gone back to the top of this one, but I think the person also had a Scandinavian carrier.
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    09-30-13 12:23 PM
    This person claims to have got BBerry to unblock his phone. But how remains a mystery.

Re: Z10 Pin Lock!! - Page 13 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    09-30-13 04:27 PM
    Thanks!

Don't know if I'll move on with this issue, second time now. Last time it was away for service a month. I do have a swedish carrier that doesn't officially support BIS. Some say it's not needed anymore in bb10, one post claims it's needed in sweden. Following his link I could really not see how he came to that conclusion. I may have missed it.

Anyway, switching carrier is not an option for me, it's my company who pays for my sim card/data plan (I paid for the phone, unlocked though). I like the z10 and was actually looking forward to maybe get a z30. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts if BIS is in the equation causing this error.
    10-01-13 01:16 PM
    Thanks!

Don't know if I'll move on with this issue, second time now. Last time it was away for service a month. I do have a swedish carrier that doesn't officially support BIS. Some say it's not needed anymore in bb10, one post claims it's needed in sweden. Following his link I could really not see how he came to that conclusion. I may have missed it.

Anyway, switching carrier is not an option for me, it's my company who pays for my sim card/data plan (I paid for the phone, unlocked though). I like the z10 and was actually looking forward to maybe get a z30. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts if BIS is in the equation causing this error.
    You can do the wipe yourself. Go to settings>security and privacy>security wipe and type in "blackberry" (without the quotes). Leave it alone for about 20-25 minutes...when little icon in the center of the screen is gone and the screen is black, hit the top power button.

Trusted Member Genius
    10-01-13 02:20 PM
    Thanks!

It's not a BIS/BlackBerry issue. The IMEI lock means someone (could be the phone company, could be BlackBerry) thinks that phone is stolen. You really need to call the phone company and figure out why the block is in place.
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    10-01-13 02:24 PM
    The BBOS10 devices do NOT use the BIS.

Fred

Thanks!

ZedMacahan likes this.
    10-01-13 02:36 PM
    Ok I've decided, I'll return it tomorrow. Got the receipt and everything in order. Even got the previous service ticket number from the last time it happened. This time I hope they'll fix it properly and quick. I really can't see my self switching to android or ios as I've tried them and yes, they are not bad. But I like this OS better.
    10-01-13 03:56 PM
    Ok I've decided, I'll return it tomorrow. Got the receipt and everything in order. Even got the previous service ticket number from the last time it happened. This time I hope they'll fix it properly and quick. I really can't see my self switching to android or ios as I've tried them and yes, they are not bad. But I like this OS better.
    I would say RETURN it for a new/different REPLACEMENT device.
    Obviously "fixing" it did not last previously.
    You don't need any additional headaches.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-01-13 04:00 PM
    I think I got idea how this happened. My guess is that your phone was previously locked to certain carrier, than unlocked and sold to you as "sim free". So it is possible that thay did poor job at unlocking it, or maybe previous (original) carrier somehow find out that phone was unlocked and locked it again.
    10-01-13 04:09 PM
    I bought my phone from a store in the Philippines last Feb when the Z10 first launched. The box was sealed and the unit was an unlocked unit. I was easily able to use it right from the beginning. Now im in Dubai. Last November my phone just suddenly locked itself. And the only way I could get pass through the lockscreen is by using the Dubai sim. But if I insert my philippines sim it doesnt go pass the imei lockscreen. But take note.. even if it goes pass the imei lock screen with using the dubai sim. The phone is having issues. My bbm messages doesnt send, my phone is laging. I really dont know what to do and eho to contact. Went to the Flagship BlackBerry store at the Dubai Mall and they couldn't do anything about it. They can't even coordinate with the blackberry head office. Please help me guys on what I should do.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 09:02 PM
    I bought my phone from a store in the Philippines last Feb when the Z10 first launched. The box was sealed and the unit was an unlocked unit. I was easily able to use it right from the beginning. Now im in Dubai. Last November my phone just suddenly locked itself. And the only way I could get pass through the lockscreen is by using the Dubai sim. But if I insert my philippines sim it doesnt go pass the imei lockscreen. But take note.. even if it goes pass the imei lock screen with using the dubai sim. The phone is having issues. My bbm messages doesnt send, my phone is laging. I really dont know what to do and eho to contact. Went to the Flagship BlackBerry store at the Dubai Mall and they couldn't do anything about it. They can't even coordinate with the blackberry head office. Please help me guys on what I should do.

Posted via CB10
    It's possible for a phone which was reported lost or stolen to work on one network and not another. For a while. For instance it used to be, because USA carriers were so lax with reporting, that one could buy a phone with the IMEI locked to US carriers and use them overseas. The system is starting to correct itself making this more difficult as carriers share this data more efficiently. I presume you are roaming with your Philippines SIM and maybe onto a network that shows your IMEI as no good. Your phone may be behaving poorly with the Dubai SIM because of crappy service. Not saying this is all the case, but maybe.
    12-23-13 03:01 AM
    Your phone is probably homesick... just kidding... try to install (or reinstall) the OS...

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 03:30 AM
    Your phone may be behaving poorly with the Dubai SIM because of crappy service. Not saying this is all the case, but maybe.
    Poor service from Etisalat!? Say it ain't so!! <rollseyes>

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 05:39 AM
    It's possible for a phone which was reported lost or stolen to work on one network and not another. For a while. For instance it used to be, because USA carriers were so lax with reporting, that one could buy a phone with the IMEI locked to US carriers and use them overseas. The system is starting to correct itself making this more difficult as carriers share this data more efficiently. I presume you are roaming with your Philippines SIM and maybe onto a network that shows your IMEI as no good. Your phone may be behaving poorly with the Dubai SIM because of crappy service. Not saying this is all the case, but maybe.
    To be honest theres a missing link in the story.. before everything happened I flew to iran and inserted an iranian telecom sim.. and everything was working fine.. one day while phone was charging it locked itself. Placed my philippines sim but no good. Then placed dubai sim and went through but bbm is down and phone is laggy.. a friend of a friend of a friend who worked at BlackBerry asia said that my phone was reported stolen in singapore. It doesnt make sense. I bought the phone sealed with nothing with regards to singapore in it. I also bought it in feb when the phone was launched. Doesnt make sense for someone to report after 8-10months that its stolen? I hope someone from blackberry can help me because I paid so much and I dont have that extra money to buy a new one yet.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 05:39 AM
    To be honest theres a missing link in the story.. before everything happened I flew to iran and inserted an iranian telecom sim.. and everything was working fine.. one day while phone was charging it locked itself. Placed my philippines sim but no good. Then placed dubai sim and went through but bbm is down and phone is laggy.. a friend of a friend of a friend who worked at BlackBerry asia said that my phone was reported stolen in singapore. It doesnt make sense. I bought the phone sealed with nothing with regards to singapore in it. I also bought it in feb when the phone was launched. Doesnt make sense for someone to report after 8-10months that its stolen? I hope someone from blackberry can help me because I paid so much and I dont have that extra money to buy a new one yet.

Posted via CB10
    It all depends on how long it takes for the phone to be reported. If it's reported to a carrier they (are supposed to) pass this along to other carriers. The UK is by far the best at this. So, it just caught up with you. As far as the other issue, there have been instances where phones were stolen from warehouses. All bright and new etc. But their IMEIs all get reported sooner or later.

BTW, if it's stolen your only recourse is to demand a refund from your seller.
    12-23-13 08:16 AM
60 123