Yesterday while in the charger my Z10 got locked. The kind of lock applied using the IMEI number, so it's not related to the sim card. I bought it brand new from a trusted shop cash up front. So I know it isn't stolen. It's my phone and i'm the only owner. But it seems like someone has reported it stolen or maybe there's another reasons or even perhaps a software bug?

The result is like having a bricked device. The only thing possible to do is emergency calls.

I've called my carrier and they replied they had no known information about it being locked. Went to my dealer and their service desk. The guy there had never seen anything like it before. It's now sent to their technical staff, let's see if they can figure anything out.

Living in Sweden I didn't find any appropriate support channel to Blackberry. Otherwise that would have been my second option. I hope my reseller has some technical support established with BB.

Guess I'll be using my old phone for a while.

Has anyone else experienced the same situation? If so, how did you get it resolved?
    06-12-13 12:36 PM
    Are you getting an "mm6" error message? 99% means it's been blocked, as in reported stolen. May be a sim issue... but very rare. If you do a search some carriers have an IMEI look up function that claims to tell you if your phone is indeed locked. I know t-mo usa has one.
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    06-12-13 01:11 PM
    Are you getting an "mm6" error message? 99% means it's been blocked, as in reported stolen. May be a sim issue... but very rare. If you do a search some carriers have an IMEI look up function that claims to tell you if your phone is indeed locked. I know t-mo usa has one.
    I don't get a mm6 error and the sim card is working just fine in my older handset. The lock screen/dialog appears directly after boot. I don't even get to enter my sim pin code. I tried the t-mobile imei checker and it came out clear, not stolen. I'm going to test some more of this services.

Thanks for your input!
    06-12-13 01:28 PM
    Did you have the device unlocked like pay for it to be unlocked?

If so then it's possible that the person who unlocked the device may have mistakenly imputed the imei several times without success and it locked the device.

Or

Of you had a code and tried it a few times or so unsuccessfully it will lock the imei

Posted via CB10
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    06-12-13 01:38 PM
    Did you have the device unlocked like pay for it to be unlocked?

If so then it's possible that the person who unlocked the device may have mistakenly imputed the imei several times without success and it locked the device.

Or

Of you had a code and tried it a few times or so unsuccessfully it will lock the imei

Posted via CB10
    No, it was unlocked when I bought it brand new, haven't messed around with the imei number or unlocking procedures at all. Didn't even know about the imei number before this happened.
    06-12-13 01:47 PM
    Double checked with my carrier today and they again confirmed they have not locked it down. It more and more seems like it's something quirky in the software. Had a missed call and then seconds later a sms arriving about the same time it randomly rebooted. Just speculating. I think I'll be trying to load a newer version of the OS (running .1880 now) and hopefully it will wipe this problem away because I no longer believe it is actually locked. That is if the support guys don't fix it.

Have been using my old phone for a while now (nokia n9). It has made me realize just how much better the Z10 is, even though some minor problems :-)
    Last edited by ZedMacahan; 06-23-13 at 07:17 AM.
    06-13-13 02:43 PM
    I also switched from the Nokia N9 to the Z10. It was a very natural transition.

I hope you get your error resolved.

Posted via CB10
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    06-13-13 02:46 PM

I hope you get your error resolved.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed! Active frames and swipe made it really easy to choose the Z10 after the N9.
    Anovascular likes this.
    06-13-13 02:51 PM
    I got the exact problem, the phone was unlocked factory and sealed when I bought it, I'm sure it's not stolen. I was surfing the web when suddenly the "Device Pin Blocked" message popped up. Tried to restore to factory setting via BB Link but no change.

Please let me know if you could solve this... the device was fully functional for 2 weeks
    06-15-13 05:44 AM
    I got the exact problem, the phone was unlocked factory and sealed when I bought it, I'm sure it's not stolen. I was surfing the web when suddenly the "Device Pin Blocked" message popped up. Tried to restore to factory setting via BB Link but no change.

Please let me know if you could solve this... the device was fully functional for 2 weeks
    Sad, to hear that. Mine was fully functional for two months. But I did load the 10.1.0.1880 OS a few weeks ago, don't know if that has anything to do with this, probably not. Right now it's sent away for service. I'll report back as soon I have any new information.
    Last edited by ZedMacahan; 06-23-13 at 07:17 AM.
    06-15-13 06:41 AM
    My friend suffered the same problem with his q10. But in his case, the imei starts with 0044 which means a test device. After releasing the q10, his test device was blocked by BlackBerry and there has been no solution upon present.
    Hope you don't fall to the same situation

Posted via CB10
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    06-15-13 07:28 AM
    FOUND IT!!!! this is the stupidest solution that ever work! connected the device to PC via USB, while connected did a battery pull. Everything worked fine. The PC didn't have BB LINK installed. let me know if this works for you guys.
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    06-16-13 12:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Good to see fellow Nokia N9 folks who transitioned to the Z10 like myself :-) N9 was an amazing piece of hardware!
    06-16-13 01:25 PM
    FOUND IT!!!! this is the stupidest solution that ever work! connected the device to PC via USB, while connected did a battery pull. Everything worked fine. The PC didn't have BB LINK installed. let me know if this works for you guys.
    Thanks! I'll check that out as soon as I can.
    06-16-13 02:50 PM
    Did it work? Any update from OP and others on this?
    07-15-13 01:33 AM
    How exactly did you do tht. Was it off/on. The procedure please. This could help a lot of people if it works.

One other thing is that I can call my phone in that state and it rings normal and answers normal. So my guess is the problem is actually that pop up message" device pin blocked". If someone could help remove that.....
    07-15-13 03:05 PM
    Hej san!

What provider do you have?

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone running 10.2.0.483 [2ABA2B4C]
    07-15-13 03:19 PM
    Does anyone know if there is a way to access the menu during a call. I'm on mtn south Africa. Reloading the os works fine. The problem actually comes when it checks for updates during initial setup. If someone could remove ths stage in a hybrid it'd be awesome.

Those trying to use bb link. It won't work. Try using the autoloaders .exe files. Maybe it could work for you.
    07-15-13 03:59 PM
    Jus got a reply from blackberry support after inquiring bout this issue. It can only be blocked by them and they said it means the device was reported lost or stolen. So the only he said he could help me is if I had the original receipt of purchase from carrier. So if u guys have it'l be unblocked within 48 hours.
    07-15-13 04:15 PM
    My Z10 was stolen in May but I couldn't figure out how/who to contact at BlackBerry to get the phone IMEI locked. My carrier "killed" the phone number so it couldn't be used (and gladly sold me another Z10 at full price), but I don't think they reported it to BB.

Does anyone know who I should contact at BlackBerry to report the stolen Z10 IMEI info?

Thanks
    Last edited by RobC450; 07-15-13 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo
    07-15-13 05:52 PM
    ([email protected]) they will help you with what you need. That's who I talked to anyways.
    07-15-13 06:03 PM
    Thanks! I'll check that out as soon as I can.
    Did u check it. Did it work.
    07-15-13 06:44 PM
    Hello! My Z10 has returned from service. They couldn't reproduce or really get a grip about the actual problem. What they did was a factory restore and that solved the problem. I assume anyone can DIY, but i have never done it and don't know how that it is done, so I guess google or this forums would be a good start to figure it out.

Sorry for my late response..

--
    PS
    The factory restore didn't wipe away the .1880 OS I'd loaded but otherwise it was like starting all over again. Mail accounts, apps etc was all gone. Not a big surprise, just saying.
    Last edited by ZedMacahan; 07-20-13 at 11:46 AM.
    07-20-13 11:27 AM
    Did u check it. Did it work.
    I would have tried that trick, but the problem was already resolved when it came back from service. If it happens again I will try that method before I do a factory restore.

It's definitely a weird bug.. I will load a newer version ( > 10.1.0.1880) of the OS as soon I can cause the problem could occur again. Don't know if that helps though..
    Last edited by ZedMacahan; 07-20-13 at 11:50 AM.
    07-20-13 11:35 AM
    My Z10 has been working flawlessly for months. But now it happened again On my way home from work yesterday, just in the middle of playing a game - Bam! This unit has been locked. Only emergency calls are possible, and something about being unable to connect to some blackberry service.. This time I was running a newer and official 10.1 release of the Blackberry OS. I have tried all methods mentioned above without success. Have spent all day on it so far, but it's still locked. I have moved my sim card into my old trustworthy Nokia N9 again which works without problems. Now I'm almost about to give this Z device up.
    09-28-13 07:17 AM
60 123