Has anyone out there had the same issues as I have searched and found nothing. I have now as of today gone thru 2 bbz10's when during charging in car with charger it just suddenly died and won't turn back on no matter what happens. Yesterday I called tech support and went thru a few tricks to try and turn it back on to no avail. so they gave me a new one. after spending loads of time reloading everything back to where i had it before on old one (seeing i didn't back it up like i should have). I plugged it in to car charger today on way to work and lo and behold it freaking died again (the new one i just got). What the ****?. any answers out there.
    03-06-13 10:14 AM
    That's odd. It could be your car charger considering it happened to more then one phone? I haven't heard such a thing.
    irweezyy likes this.
    03-06-13 10:18 AM
    It has to be charged with the charger that comes in the box with it.
    That was the case for the PlayBook as well.
    03-06-13 10:19 AM
    hmmm well that seems strange as I have two z10s and have been charging them both on old and new chargers around house and car just fine (altho slower on the older blackberry chargers) and have no problem with anything on the one z10. but the other one has now been swapped out twice and died twice. so at a loss. Iv never heard of a charger totally killing a phone. after the first time, I just chalked it up to a lemon on the cpu of phone. maybe a loose chip inside. but now after plugging it back in too the same car it too has died. funny thing is my other z10 has had no issues with same car. I wonder if its possible at all for a car to kill a phone as it is a hybrid car.
    03-06-13 10:39 AM
    Technically the fuse in the charger should prevent any spikes in power from damaging the device, but if there is something wrong with the charger then that could cause what you're describing.

I would first take a look at the charger. If you don't know what you're looking for then it's kinda hard to explain. So I would get a new charger.

Posted via CB10 from my Z
    03-06-13 10:49 AM
    .. I wonder if its possible at all for a car to kill a phone as it is a hybrid car.
    Perhaps the car is jealous - afraid you loose some of the hybdrid love and give your new Z10 more attention... ... I could also be wrong ...
    03-06-13 11:14 AM
    Just curious if your using the phone while its trying to charge via the car charger, I know that my brother (who has a Z10) used on of the older blackberry car chargers and it was not pushing out enough Amps to keep up to the device requirements. For example: if your using 2 amps per minute and the charger only does 1 amp per min then your killing the phone more than your charging.... Just an example not the actual numbers lol.
    I got the Car Charger with extra Usb plug from shop.crackberry.com and have no issues that you listed at all, sorry for your luck hope it gets better
    03-06-13 11:26 AM
    I bet it is the fuse in the charger.
    03-06-13 12:14 PM
    lol nice one.

"Perhaps the car is jealous - afraid you loose some of the hybdrid love and give your new Z10 more attention... ... I could also be wrong ... "

who knows. it could be so. hehe

anyway good suggestions all. I'll just try a diff charger in car. but that seems so weird as i have had no issues with my other z10 with same charger. but what else could it be. other than the unbelievable dumb luck in getting actually 2 faulty phones in a row. But everyone I've talked to says that there is no way a charger should just kill a phone period. maybe a battery. "maybe" but not the actual phone like this seems to do.
    03-06-13 01:02 PM
    I had a car charger blow a BB before - it was the one time I didn't really check things out before using it.

To be fair, everything points to the car charger.
    03-06-13 04:57 PM
    Incorrect, chargers do NOT protect against surges! They do however protect from current overdraw.
    Have you started your car with the phone plugged into the car? Some vehicles can induce a surge temporarily into the electrical system that has been linked to electronic damage.
    Even the dynamic braking of all electric cars can cause micro-surges significant enough to do damage to unprotected portable electronics. Yours being a hybrid isn't a concern.
    You can have a mechanic test your charging system at your dealership.
    Replacing the charger may not necessarily rectify the issue. If the vehicle isn't operating (running), does it cause the same effect?
    You shouldn't charge your z10 with less than 200 ma chargers, on the flip side, no more than 2 Amps.
    Since I can't test your vehicles electrical system (I'm a licensed electrician) I highly recommend having your vehicles electrical system checked under load conditions and when it starts- at the receptacle you plug your charger into if replacing the old charger doesn't help you any.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Posted via CB10
    Wigley458 likes this.
    03-06-13 05:39 PM
    Incorrect, chargers do NOT protect against surges! They do however protect from current overdraw.
    Have you started your car with the phone plugged into the car? Some vehicles can induce a surge temporarily into the electrical system that has been linked to electronic damage.
    Even the dynamic braking of all electric cars can cause micro-surges significant enough to do damage to unprotected portable electronics. Yours being a hybrid isn't a concern.
    You can have a mechanic test your charging system at your dealership.
    Replacing the charger may not necessarily rectify the issue. If the vehicle isn't operating (running), does it cause the same effect?
    You shouldn't charge your z10 with less than 200 ma chargers, on the flip side, no more than 2 Amps.
    Since I can't test your vehicles electrical system (I'm a licensed electrician) I highly recommend having your vehicles electrical system checked under load conditions and when it starts- at the receptacle you plug your charger into if replacing the old charger doesn't help you any.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. Thank u for all that. Sounds reasonable. I'll have to find a way to test car. At moment I have switched out th old charger and using only the newer one. Just tired of killing bb10's lol.

Thank you all for your help. This site rocks. And you all seem to know way more than tech help from BlackBerry and phone company as their just left scratching their head as well lol. It's all just a guessing game when it comes to electricity and cpu's lol

Also Btw. BlackBerry z10 rules hehe

Posted from my Z10
    03-08-13 11:28 AM
    Glad to help. testing is pretty simple with just a simple digital multimetter. an analog (needle type ) will show you spike instantly by the red needle swinging sharply.
    03-08-13 10:39 PM
    I bought a car charger from a truck stop after my old one developed a short. Even though it claimed to have 1000ma and the phone showed a charge going to the battery icon, the battery would die out. I stopped into a Costco and got a BlackBerry car charger for $29 and no problem.

So it appears not all chargers are created equal.
    03-08-13 10:53 PM
    May be z10 is dead. So sad.
    03-08-13 10:54 PM
    im yet to get my z10 but I am looking forward to it.

I bought a 2.1 amp charger(typically used for i-products) for my car to use on my bb9900. for some reason it said it would not be able to charge on this device. Did some research and found out the bb9900 only works with either 2.0 or 2.2 charges. I had to buy a "charge only usb cable" and it then started to charge and quite nicely at that. Though I was warned to never plug the "charge only" cable into my computer and try to use as a "charge/data cable" (which all other are). I assume it would cause some sort of problem with my phone.

So for those having issues with in-car chargers you might want to consider buying a "charge only usb cable" and connecting that to your car charger and phone. Bought mine for $5 on amazon but you can also turn a regular (data/charge) cable into a "charge only".

Amazon.com: PureGear Charge Only Cable for Universal Micro USB - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Charge Only MicroUSB Cable | Sean O'Steen Charge Only MicroUSB Cable | tinkerer
    03-08-13 11:32 PM
    Sounds like your charger is a killer. Does it have CSA or CE markings on it?
    03-08-13 11:59 PM
    I use plug-in DC to AC inverter and generic BlackBerry charger. So far no problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 01:02 AM
    UPDATE: yessir folks! It indeed was the charger AND car combo. Wow. Learn something new each day. I have had BlackBerry's since they started and have never had one die from a charger. Or any phone for that matter. Till this year AND this car. We have a Hyundia sonota hybrid 2012. Had no issues with any of the old bb's. But this year. After getting a new htc8x and z10's, the car conspired to kill them thru the old charger we used in that vehicle. We went thru 1 htc8x and 2 z10's. Funny thing is. One Z10 had no issues at all. But that one wasn't being used in that car each and every day like the others.

Anyway. No issues since getting rid of that old charger now with the new replacements (so far, cross your fingers)

Oh funny note: on each phone, it wasn't the batteries that died as they worked just fine in other Z10. It was the phone cpu on each that got killed.

Posted from my Z10
    03-09-13 09:22 AM
    Sounds like your charger is a killer. Does it have CSA or CE markings on it?
    It was a very old charger. Didn't have any markings at all lol. So no idea. Just thru it away

Posted from my Z10
    03-09-13 09:23 AM
    You need to exchange your car.
    03-09-13 09:24 AM
    Glad to help. testing is pretty simple with just a simple digital multimetter. an analog (needle type ) will show you spike instantly by the red needle swinging sharply.
    Yip. And why in world was there a spike from a new car. Stupid thing lol

Posted from my Z10
    03-09-13 09:25 AM
    I use the the blackberry 1.8a car charger no problem issues what so ever.

Go by one and u problem is solved as other chargers may damage the unit, so by BlackBerry.
    03-09-13 09:33 AM
    You need to exchange your car.
    Lmao. Maybe true. But its one if many. But maybe your right

Posted from my Z10
    03-09-13 09:47 AM
    That's odd i charge my Z10 through the car charger and i have not noticed any problems. I suggest you try a different car charger.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 10:05 AM
34 12