I was having a meeting in NYC at a restaurant with outdoor seating; thieves ran by and stole my white Z10. Plates flew off the table and smashed on the floor as they grabbed my Z10, it was awkwardly dramatic... Is this Z10 is a super-hot commodity that everyone wants ?

Do you think they thought it was an I Phone?
    05-03-13 08:21 AM
    Berry picking

Sam
    05-03-13 08:23 AM
    They probably thought it was an iPhone. There was an article in the New York Times about this. If you call your carrier to report it, ask them to put you through to BlackBerry support so you can have the PIN Blocked. The PIN is on the Box if you still have it.

If you have BlackBerry Protect on it, you can also initiate an erase, but it may be too late if it is not on a network.

Cellphone Thefts Grow, but the Industry Looks the Other Way
    Got2GetAway likes this.
    05-03-13 08:26 AM
    The one drawback of the Z10 is that it does indeed look like an Iphone, to the untrained eye of course.... Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
    05-03-13 08:26 AM
    If you enabled BlackBerry Protect enabled you can wipe it and lock it and hopefully get a gps track on it. Sorry for your loss hope you find it and they get the *******.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    Got2GetAway likes this.
    05-03-13 08:29 AM
    That's the first comment I always get, "It looks like an IPhone". :/

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 08:36 AM
    Welcome to New York. I never leave any of my personal belonging out on tables when eating outside of a restaurante in NY. Everything is on lockdown.
    husnain1 and trynacu2 like this.
    05-03-13 08:39 AM
    Oh dear sorry to hear about your Z10. Hope you have some kind of insurance on the phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    Got2GetAway likes this.
    05-03-13 09:04 AM
    Lol they might return it after realizing that it isn't an iphone.

Posted via CB10
    Djlatino, shinerb, ErinnM and 2 others like this.
    05-03-13 09:06 AM
    If I had the cash, I'd steal iPhones and replace them with Zeds.

Hopefully that was one of my time traveling selves, in which case, you'll get it back.

But seriously, what does protect say?
    05-03-13 09:10 AM
    Lol they might return it after realizing that it isn't an iphone.

Posted via CB10
    Or when it reboots itself.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    05-03-13 09:10 AM
    Luckily I have Insurance. I read everyone on CB complaining how difficult (cumbersome) the password protection is on the Z10’s and I skipped setting up my password. What a mistake...
    I was able to contact our IT department and they wiped the phone remotely with Microsoft Exchange, thank God!
    I’m back to my 9930 that has a password and BB protect.
    05-03-13 09:42 AM
    That's the first comment I always get, "It looks like an IPhone". :/

Posted via CB10
    I can't believe how dumb people are. By that logic they must think every phone looks like an iPhone. So effing annoying and clueless consumer noobs

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 09:45 AM
    I can't believe how dumb people are. By that logic they must think every phone looks like an iPhone. So effing annoying and clueless consumer noobs
    That annoys me too. And these people are who tell me are iPhone users! Aughhhhh. Don't they know their own phones?
    agp101 likes this.
    05-03-13 09:53 AM
    Still 500$. Sorry about the loss :/

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 10:05 AM
    If it's password protected they can't do much with it, unlike the iPhone you can't do a system restore without the password, not even reload the os with a boot loader. So rest assured that are not going to enjoy the z10

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 10:09 AM
    I would have chased after them Captain America style and gotten my device back.
    05-03-13 10:09 AM
    The only Z10 in NYC and now its stolen. Bummer
    05-03-13 10:10 AM
    Luckily I have Insurance. I read everyone on CB complaining how difficult (cumbersome) the password protection is on the Z10�s and I skipped setting up my password. What a mistake...
    I was able to contact our IT department and they wiped the phone remotely with Microsoft Exchange, thank God!
    I�m back to my 9930 that has a password and BB protect.
    Oh I just realized you did not use one, next time put one hut let it tinw out every 30 kin or so, this way you don't have to enter it every time, and it still makes the phone useless since they can't do much and keeping it on allows you to remotely lock anyways.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 10:13 AM
    I never leave my 600.00 plus phones in the open for prying eyes.

Never
    Never
    Never
    husnain1 likes this.
    05-03-13 10:16 AM
    Too the comments on Z looks: It will undoubtedly prove to be both a scourge and a benefit that the Z looks like the IPhone...and can be dressed to be indistinguishable except for a bit different dimensions. But after all, that really was the mission of the Z...to address the IP, and S3, worldwide acceptance and sales phenom by taking some of these competitors current user base.
    In NY (and, frankly, most larger cities worldwide), avoid using the phone in open public without practicing vigilance. And simply stated, one should never, ever rest the phone on a (public) restaurant table. (Whether openly snatched, as in your case, or you one day walk away and by accident forget--even if only for a moment, you will eventually lose a phone with this habit.) And to make complete, never in plain view should one place a (cherished) phone in a bag to be set aside, try to keep the phone on your person (or, nominally, in a bag in your full control). New York is not the place to show off the latest phone in a public display.

Sorry but some basic rules haven't changed for decades, if not centuries. Purses, bags, wallets, cameras, and jewelry have always been subject to a quick theft when left in open view--whether being held, or even worn, by a person. The only thing that has changed is the type of toys/items to be snatched today....add cell phones as the wallets of preference for the new millenium.
    $35-40 wholesale to the thief for an Apple, probably $20-25 for the Z at this time. If not a one time amateur stealing for own use or perceived fortune from ebay, your phone will merge with a batch of stolen phone(s)likely to be shipped to another country by month's end. (Likely more than OP wants to know but hopefully allowing another reader something to consider while traveling, or just using his/her phone.)

Use of your properly initiated tracking device, of course, may have some value but I do hope that you had data backed up and initiate(d) an erasure of the phone.

If you own a home, and haven't cut corners with your insurance, you'll be able to declare this theft and receive reimbursement. If not, you might also have complained to the Rest. Mgmt. A better restaurant under certain circumstances also will assume the liability (and may have insurance coverage of their own). If none of the above, look for a small deduction on your (itemized) tax return (keep the police report).

That about covers it...

[Note: I hate to see negative events in history repeat themselves particularly when easily avoided and I might have lent some prior, redeeming insight.]

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 10:31 AM
    This is the exact reason I like my Z10 in a holster, securely attached to me and don't leave it laying about.
    husnain1 likes this.
    05-03-13 10:33 AM
    That annoys me too. And these people are who tell me are iPhone users! Aughhhhh. Don't they know their own phones?
    same thing here... its annoying AF !! btw don't you guys think HTC ONE looks exactly like Z10 ?
    i was at Sams Club, they had HTC One on display and i ran towards it thinking its a Z10 :-/
    05-03-13 11:20 AM
    Damn that really sucks op. . Did you check BlackBerry Protect??

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 11:35 AM
    I would have chased after them Captain America style and gotten my device back.
    I'd start with The Flash, then Captain America, followed up by a smashing Incredible Hulk ending. Might even throw in a touch of Bruce Lee for style.
    05-03-13 11:37 AM
74 123