Apologies if someone has hit on this, but just a short rundown of why I think Apps are slow to appear, and why they will eventually appear (in the coming months) in big numbers.

1. Developers only got the full Native SDK including Hub, Phone and Maps APIs on January 30, two weeks ago. Now that the complete SDK is available they can build their apps and integrate into one of BB10's core strengths - The Hub. If I were an App Developer, I probably would have waited...

[EDIT: Developers had access to Hub, Phone and Maps features, but were only able to test January 30, 2013. Thanks jetstreamblue.]

2. Wait and See approach until the phone launched in UK and Canada, etc... Sales are good, giving bigger developers a boost of confidence in developing for Blackberry. Notice the number of announcements from companies that they were 'working' on a BB10 App AFTER the launch? Given the 18+ month media barrage of incessant negative publicity, can you really blame them?

3. Finally, the App Approval process is slow as BlackBerry deals with a backlog from its eleventh hour Port-A-Thons. I can't imagine what it's like in the company in these early days. Stressful is one word that comes to mind as they try to deal simultaneously with, well, just about everything! It must be nuts.

So I, for one, have faith that the apps are 'in process' and that it's just going to take time. Personally, I'd rather wait a few months and get Made for BlackBerry Apps that take FULL advantage of this amazing new operating system, than something half-baked and rushed out the door. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Anyway, curious on anyone else's thoughts?

Cheers
    Peej
    Last edited by Gnomesane; 02-13-13 at 09:35 AM.
    RECOOL likes this.
    02-13-13 08:34 AM
    Windows Phone users said the same thing. They're still waiting on a bunch of apps.

At least you can sideload the Android versions, though!

... Provided they aren't 4.0+ only...
    02-13-13 08:37 AM
    Windows Phone users said the same thing. They're still waiting on a bunch of apps.

At least you can sideload the Android versions, though!

... Provided they aren't 4.0+ only...
    Fair enough. I'd suggest the difference is the development/porting experience is substantially easier on Blackberry (now), I'm assuming BB sales will be revealed to be better than Windows 8 phones sales, and that BlackBerry has a legion of dedicated followers (from its previous incarnation as RIM) who have been waiting to upgrade - thus a larger base off the start. But you're right, it could turn out that way, I'm no psychic. But deep down, I doubt it, I think it's just a case of a new system, and a slow burn.

Not to slag Windows Phone users, but I think they have a truly uphill battle to overcome negative perceptions of Windows and putting it on a phone. Windows 8 has been slammed by media in large numbers. That's a tough battle. In Microsoft's favour, they have very deep pockets and can play 'the long game' when it comes to their phones and tablets. If past history is any judge, their approach is just to slowly, inch by inch, get into a market and finally hit critical mass and dominate. I think maybe Windows 10 phone, or Surface 3 will see them get some traction. (He says, gazing into his crystal ball). =)

Also, given BlackBerry's new found commitment to developers, and hints on this site, I'm guessing an Android Jelly Bean runtime will be forthcoming, maybe in the first half of this year. (Guess!)

I dunno, guess it comes down to faith, and intuition. I'm confident.
    02-13-13 08:57 AM
  4. ieatblackberriesforbreakfast's Avatar
    Why did developers just get full native sdk on jan 30th? Bb should've given it to them much earlier. I'm waiting for some top apps to be available before I commit to the device. By then, maybe BB 11 will be just around the corner.
    02-13-13 09:03 AM
    Why did developers just get full native sdk on jan 30th? Bb should've given it to them much earlier. I'm waiting for some top apps to be available before I commit to the device. By then, maybe BB 11 will be just around the corner.
    Actually, that's not entirely correct. On Jan 30, devs got Dev Alpha OS updates that allows them to test the hub and maps. The SDK's already had the capability to access those features before that, just that devs weren't able to test those features.
    02-13-13 09:09 AM
    Actually, that's not entirely correct. On Jan 30, devs got Dev Alpha OS updates that allows them to test the hub and maps. The SDK's already had the capability to access those features before that, just that devs weren't able to test those features.
    I stand corrected. Thanks. Still, given that they weren't able to test those features, I imagine that would lead to some delays? Not a developer.
    02-13-13 09:32 AM
    I think people should buy a phone for the features that It has now, not for expectations, and the z10 has many good features.
    The expectations of fast improvement of the OS or the app ecosystem are unrealistic.
    02-13-13 09:33 AM
    Yup I have an app that invokes the email composer (actually have several now) but I couldn't test it until the 30th.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 09:44 AM
    I think people should buy a phone for the features that It has now, not for expectations, and the z10 has many good features.
    The expectations of fast improvement of the OS or the app ecosystem are unrealistic.
    I agree completely, I did my research before buying. But I think when you're talking mass market, you have to expect that people nowadays have unrealistic expectations and try to manage them as best possible. I think BlackBerry's done an admirable job in that respect given everything they've had to deal with in the last year. It's an excellent phone, an excellent operating system, full of potential growth and promise, even beyond the cell phone market. Mobile is just a foot in the door for BB10 if given half a chance.

I think developers will come on board more slowly at first and build quickly. Already we know that Instagram, Soundhound and Skype are coming soon and those are three biggies (although I personally only use SoundHound, and then occasionally). More will follow, I'm sure.
    02-13-13 10:20 AM
    Yup I have an app that invokes the email composer (actually have several now) but I couldn't test it until the 30th.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    As a developer, did that lead to any delays in rolling out your apps? Just curious, like to have a better understanding as someone outside that process. I'm just a user...
    02-13-13 10:21 AM
    Great advice that would cure a lot of angst. Get your device for what it does TODAY, not the hope of what it may do TOMORROW.
    02-13-13 10:22 AM
    I can deal with sideloading to make up the shortage. After all I root and tinker with my Android so this is no more work than that. What I can't live with is whether the reports I've been reading about Android apps (meaning non sideloaded, officially ported) still running laggy are true.
    02-13-13 11:06 AM
    I can deal with sideloading to make up the shortage. After all I root and tinker with my Android so this is no more work than that. What I can't live with is whether the reports I've been reading about Android apps (meaning non sideloaded, officially ported) still running laggy are true.
    Not my experience. I'm running CIBC, iMDB, Kayak, Evernote, YouTube, Google Maps, Agile Time Tracker, some others I can't remember... I think HopStop is a bit slow to load and one or two others, but not noting an lag once I'm in. If that helps?
    02-13-13 11:19 AM
    Windows Phone users said the same thing. They're still waiting on a bunch of apps..
    They also got a bunch of apps. Not sure why it's "all" or "nothing" with some people ...
    02-13-13 11:40 AM