Last Thursday my wireless carrier Verizon Wireless began selling the much talked about BlackBerry Z10. I currently carry the Torch 9850 and Bold 9930. I have been a BlackBerry user since around 2004 and my first phone was the 7520. I am also a user of the BlackBerry Playbook.

I was working out of town last week but decided to stop at a local Verizon store to see the phone. I found out that I was not eligible for an upgrade until May, but more importantly, if and when I accept my next upgrade I will lose my Unlimited Data Plan. That sucks! So I would have to pay $600 for the phone. I decided to postpone any purchase until I returned home.

March 30th I went to Verizon and made my purchase. One of the biggest disappointments I have made. Its not that it's a horrible phone, it's no longer BlackBerry. I will try and explain.

1). BlackBerry has a service called BlackBerry Internet Service or BIS. From the web it allows you to add, delete, customize email accounts. It also provides you with an email account that is only accessible via the handheld. BIS also allowed you to send service books to your handheld if you were having email issues. You could also easily change equipment via BIS rather than being on hold for eternity with your wireless carrier. The Z10 does not use BIS.

2). Every BlackBerry handheld I have had featured a status indicator. This green led would flash when the phone was in a service area, and remain unlit when not in service. The indicator would flash red when a message was received. This feature, while minor, is handy and not available on most Android phones. There is an indicator on the Z10 that flashes red for incoming message, but I miss the green service light.

3). Previous BlackBerry handhelds had built in alert profiles that you could customize to your liking. You could also set a unique ringtone for each individual mailbox or app if you desired. What is offered on the Z10 is a joke. Gone is the ability to set a unique ringtone for each mailbox, and the ability to set the length of vibrate and tones.

4). I have used BlackBerry desktop manager to back up the phones content, add/ delete applications or transfer phone settings and content to another phone. The Z10 no longer utilizes desktop manager. You have to download another program called BlackBerry Link. I downloaded and installed this program twice but the program wouldn't launch.

5). I have always been able to sync my handhelds with Microsoft Outlook with ease and without additional software. That is no longer the case with the Z10. I am not going to keep this long enough to learn what I need to purchase to make the Z10 work with Outlook.

6). While BlackBerry App World may not be as large as the iStore or Android Market, the apps for the Z10 is horrible. BlackBerry Traffic, not available; UberSocial, my favorite twitter client, not available; ScoreMobile, does not send alerts for tracking my favorite teams/games. I realize most of the app issues will eventually get resolved but why should I wait? I waited long enough for the phone, paid $600.00 and now I cant get what I want?

7). As previously mentioned I use the BlackBerry PlayBook. In short, the Z10's email, contacts, calendar are not going to appear on the PlayBook. Additionally you will no longer be able to read text messages on the PlayBook.

8). In setting up the Z10 I noticed the shortest setting for refreshing a mailbox is 15 minutes. I am not sure what the refresh time is for OS 7 devices but I am sure it is quicker than 15 minutes.

As a longtime BlackBerry user and fan, the Z10 is a flop. If you are moving from Apple or Android you may think the Z10 is the greatest thing since pull tabs on a beer can.

The Z10 is an Android with BlackBerry branding. Is it worth $600.00? Not to me. Is it worth giving up all the BlackBerry unique features to gain 4G speed? No.

I am interested in hearing other feedback
    04-01-13 02:45 PM
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out
    04-01-13 02:48 PM
    Oh my!! Let me grab some popcorn. This is going to be interesting

Posted via CB10
    missing_K-W and BlackQtCoder like this.
    04-01-13 02:54 PM
    Last Thursday my wireless carrier Verizon Wireless began selling the much talked about BlackBerry Z10. I currently carry the Torch 9850 and Bold 9930. I have been a BlackBerry user since around 2004 and my first phone was the 7520. I am also a user of the BlackBerry Playbook.

I was working out of town last week but decided to stop at a local Verizon store to see the phone. I found out that I was not eligible for an upgrade until May, but more importantly, if and when I accept my next upgrade I will lose my Unlimited Data Plan. That sucks! So I would have to pay $600 for the phone. I decided to postpone any purchase until I returned home.

March 30th I went to Verizon and made my purchase. One of the biggest disappointments I have made. Its not that it's a horrible phone, it's no longer BlackBerry. I will try and explain.

1). BlackBerry has a service called BlackBerry Internet Service or BIS. From the web it allows you to add, delete, customize email accounts. It also provides you with an email account that is only accessible via the handheld. BIS also allowed you to send service books to your handheld if you were having email issues. You could also easily change equipment via BIS rather than being on hold for eternity with your wireless carrier. The Z10 does not use BIS.

2). Every BlackBerry handheld I have had featured a status indicator. This green led would flash when the phone was in a service area, and remain unlit when not in service. The indicator would flash red when a message was received. This feature, while minor, is handy and not available on most Android phones. There is an indicator on the Z10 that flashes red for incoming message, but I miss the green service light.

3). Previous BlackBerry handhelds had built in alert profiles that you could customize to your liking. You could also set a unique ringtone for each individual mailbox or app if you desired. What is offered on the Z10 is a joke. Gone is the ability to set a unique ringtone for each mailbox, and the ability to set the length of vibrate and tones.

4). I have used BlackBerry desktop manager to back up the phones content, add/ delete applications or transfer phone settings and content to another phone. The Z10 no longer utilizes desktop manager. You have to download another program called BlackBerry Link. I downloaded and installed this program twice but the program wouldn't launch.

5). I have always been able to sync my handhelds with Microsoft Outlook with ease and without additional software. That is no longer the case with the Z10. I am not going to keep this long enough to learn what I need to purchase to make the Z10 work with Outlook.

6). While BlackBerry App World may not be as large as the iStore or Android Market, the apps for the Z10 is horrible. BlackBerry Traffic, not available; UberSocial, my favorite twitter client, not available; ScoreMobile, does not send alerts for tracking my favorite teams/games. I realize most of the app issues will eventually get resolved but why should I wait? I waited long enough for the phone, paid $600.00 and now I cant get what I want?

7). As previously mentioned I use the BlackBerry PlayBook. In short, the Z10's email, contacts, calendar are not going to appear on the PlayBook. Additionally you will no longer be able to read text messages on the PlayBook.

8). In setting up the Z10 I noticed the shortest setting for refreshing a mailbox is 15 minutes. I am not sure what the refresh time is for OS 7 devices but I am sure it is quicker than 15 minutes.

As a longtime BlackBerry user and fan, the Z10 is a flop. If you are moving from Apple or Android you may think the Z10 is the greatest thing since pull tabs on a beer can.

The Z10 is an Android with BlackBerry branding. Is it worth $600.00? Not to me. Is it worth giving up all the BlackBerry unique features to gain 4G speed? No.

A lot of what you are complaining about is coming in 10.1
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-01-13 02:58 PM
    Oh my!! Let me grab some popcorn. This is going to be interesting

Posted via CB10
    Save some popcorn for me please, I'll bring the pop or some of you call it soda

Posted via CB10 on my zed10
    SDTRMG and theegoldenone like this.
    04-01-13 02:59 PM
    Why didn't you ask for help first?
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-01-13 02:59 PM
    Whine whine whine. At least you used paragraphs this time. Must be reading the same rant from the other day.

To each his own.lol

Go buy an android so we don't need to here you complain anymore. Use it for a few weeks than rant on the android forums..
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-01-13 03:04 PM
    I agree with you 100%. Got mine the day it came out for AT&T. Went on a trip for a week and used it, got home, returned it today. I bounce back between a 9900 and a iPhone 5. To me, the I would rather have the iPhone over the Z10 (better battery, better email, the HUB is pointless, better apps, etc.) I am actually using my Bold 9900 now, love the keyboard and simplicity of it, also BIS.

I think the UI and experience is great on the phone, just lacks right now where i wouldnt use it until it gets better, much better.
    BlackberryPig likes this.
    04-01-13 03:07 PM
    It seems a lot of people are not happy that BlackBerry has made changes to the OS. They like the old OS. That's fine, you can still use a 9900 or 9810, but don't expect them to not change, to not innovate. That is absolutely necessary moving forward.
    SDTRMG and jdhooghe like this.
    04-01-13 03:10 PM
    You have some legitimate points and I tend to agree it is a lot like having an iPhone or Android with an added slick UI, but some of your points are user ignorance.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 03:13 PM

Blackberrys didn't always have all these features they were added over a long period of time, and as bb10 matures more will be added.

1. BIS had pros and cons, but it was time for it to go, especially because compressing data might have crippled the z10 browsing and 4g experience. You can still use bis if you choose and your carrier allows it, if not then you have to switch.

2. The service light could be added in a future update, one thing you have to take in to consideration is the fact bbos7 is 7-8 years old, it was more muture and refined then even iOS is some places. Bb10 is bringing the bb experience into the future and merge ring it with the modern smartphone, alot of what blackberry was will be there in the future.

3. They do have profiles its not as refined as bbos was, and I agree this is annoying but again something that can be fixed with a update to the software, voice this stuff on bb forums so they hear you.

4. Bb desktop manager was configured to work with the bb java OS, in order to release the z10 they had to develop a new computer software, which I found has worked pretty well on my Mac, the ability to add and remove apps is not there yet and something I look forward to In a future update.

5. Well I have my outlook.com working with the z10 of Microsoft active sync I think, and it connected just by entering the correct information.(if you have a version z10 you may experience issues till they release the update, which other carriers have.

6. See this is what gets me, you bought this phone knowing there won't be the same amount of apps as other platforms, no matter how much we complain to bb its not going to change, if you wanna be heard, message, email, or tweet the developer of that app, bb can hold a gun to there head. Yes bb10 does have some crap apps, but typing this from my iPad I can tell you every platform has bull**** apps, iOS has over 3000 widgets apps, some paid, yet doesn't use widgets. Bbw is smaller so you will see the crap apps more then good ones, and like you said in time it will change, but if you bought this phone expecting apps you set yourself up failure, the word on bb10 and apps is all over the Internet.

7. Yes the z10 will not play nice with the playbook, but that's just until it gets the bb10 update, which I feel will happen when they release there next tablet. This is not really a com per say, as it doesn't effect everyone and is personal to your experience.

8. Yes the quickest time for refreshing a mailbox is 15 mins, but if your email provider supports push email then they will come to your phone as there sent/received to/by you. Instantly.

I'm a long time blakcberry, apple and for a short time android user, and the z10 is not a flop its an amazing device, I'm very sorry it didn't live up to your standards but if a legacy bbos type experience is what your looking for, then there may not be a s,art phone for you, as most function like the z10.

The z10 is nothing like android lol, I'm sorry but there's no comparison, besides having apps and being a touch screen phone, these os's are very different. The bb may not be worth $600 to you, but coming from the iPhone 5 I would have paid more for it, as its made my life and daily business easier and less stressful.

I'm sorry the z10 didn't work out for you and maybe an older blackberry and android/iOS device is best for you, cause the z10 won't please everyone but it has made the best attempt it could.
    jdhooghe and BlackberryPig like this.
    04-01-13 04:46 PM
    I agree with you 100%. Got mine the day it came out for AT&T. Went on a trip for a week and used it, got home, returned it today. I bounce back between a 9900 and a iPhone 5. To me, the I would rather have the iPhone over the Z10 (better battery, better email, the HUB is pointless, better apps, etc.) I am actually using my Bold 9900 now, love the keyboard and simplicity of it, also BIS.

I think the UI and experience is great on the phone, just lacks right now where i wouldnt use it until it gets better, much better.
    The hubs pointless to some, but on my iPhone 5 trying to reply to the 100+ emails, comments, mentions, tags, shares, texts etc. I get in one day is nothing but a point on the iPhone, I'm in and out of apps 60+ times, when with bb10 I do it all from one place and save so much more of my day.

Sorry it wasn't for you glad the bbos/android/iOS combo works for you
    04-01-13 04:49 PM
    Save some popcorn for me please, I'll bring the pop or some of you call it soda

Posted via CB10 on my zed10
    Deal!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 04:54 PM