05-13-13 02:56 PM
95 1234
tools
    I have Table TV sideloaded as well. Going to uninstall it and see how it goes.
    04-09-13 05:03 PM
    Thanks so much for posting this information!

I followed the process you outlined and have not had one reboot since yesterday. I know it's a bit too soon to predict success but after rebooting 4-5 times a day, this is a great improvement.

The only app I've installed is CB10 and will add them back one by one to test if app related or if a reinstall of the OS resolved my issue. I only had a few: BlackBerry Travel, Taptu, Robotek, Password Keeper, and Stuff I Need.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 05:31 PM
    I am using Blackberry Bridge and Password keeper. I have no issues. I would try the games first to see if they are the culprits causing the problem.

I found it's better to use an external memory card for storing data. This does not only apply to Blackberry. I put a 16 GB card in each of our phones. We have a fair number of phones that we are using. The preference so far has been the 9900 and 9800 before the Z10 came out. Now the Z10 is the one to get.

When we can have the Q10 we are going to try one to start. The con with this is we are thinking about the loss of screen size because of the mechanical keyboard.
    04-09-13 05:42 PM
    [QUOTE=omega supreme;8288560]I disagree with the thread starter's evaluation only because i don't have the apps he mentioned other than star wars angry birds ( which i got after the fact) and the ones that came with the phone...

Please note the title of the thread."My Random Restarts Resolved". I started the thread to inform peeps that I have resolved the problem on my Z10. I posted in an attempt to share the information, not to be a solution for everyone. I am sure that everyone has loaded different apps etc, but what I am sharing is my experience. Therefore you are wrong in you assessment. This worked for me and I am glead your solution worked for you..Thanks for sharing
    04-09-13 05:44 PM
    This is day 6 for me with no restarts...lets keep our fingers crossed
    04-09-13 05:50 PM
    CONCLUSION - it is an OS issue, having an active frame open prevents a random reboot.
    I always keep an active frame open (typically Data Monitor) and my device still restarts at least once per day.
    04-09-13 05:51 PM
    Serious issue, two coworkers, my wife and I have total 4 Z10 STL 02 with update OS 10.0.10.90. Mine luckily not random restart, but 3 others now are on restart its self. Why BBRY!?. It hurts so much to all BBERs .

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 06:16 PM
    I just got off the phone with Verizon, and as of today, they only have 3 reports of rebooting. I was told to recommend that anyone who is having this problem should call them and let them know. I recommend hitting their blog as well because they were scanning them while they were talking to me to check for reports. They recommend using the term "power cycling" vs. rebooting. They also instructed me to exchange it for the worry free guarantee as soon as possible.
    04-09-13 07:39 PM
    I also had this restarting issue, changed the z10 for a new one, now it's working like it should (no freezing, no restarting).

With the first device I had WhatsApp sideloaded and did a device change via memory card (from a bold 9900). Because the z10 was daily restarting without any reason, I did a wipe and software reload. At this point it should be like out of the box. So i just added one email account (no apps, no restore of the bold 9900 data) and gave it another try. Still had the freezing/restarting issue. :-(
    So in my opinion my first device had a hardware issue or reloading the devicesoftware doesn't delete everything, so that you don't get rid of some bad "Sideloaded Code" or whatever causing problems.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 06:05 AM
    I just got off the phone with Verizon, and as of today, they only have 3 reports of rebooting. I was told to recommend that anyone who is having this problem should call them and let them know. I recommend hitting their blog as well because they were scanning them while they were talking to me to check for reports. They recommend using the term "power cycling" vs. rebooting. They also instructed me to exchange it for the worry free guarantee as soon as possible.
    Call them back and ask to be escalated to a BlackBerry Tech Support rep. That's what I did, and after about 10 days of ongoing troubleshooting with my BB technician, they shipped me a brand new replacement Z10. I can assure you BB is definitely aware of this problem.
    04-10-13 06:32 AM
    CONCLUSION - it is an OS issue, having an active frame open prevents a random reboot.

Your sample size is wayyyyyyyy too small to make such conclusions.

There are lots of people that run active frames all the time who get random boots frequently. I'm one of them.

Sorry to burst that particular bubble.
    04-10-13 07:50 AM
    I love how sure you are about your "Conclusion" but you are wrong. Many people run active frames all day and experience reboots.

I myself have never had a reboot and I never normally leave active frames open.

Good effort though

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 03:37 AM
    Took my randomly rebooting Z10 back to Verizon last Saturday, got the unit exchanged, did a Restore through Blackberry Link. Have not had a reboot since.
    04-11-13 06:13 AM
    I'm on Verizon and not only do I get the random reboots but my phone will just shut itself off and not come back on. I'm on my second blackberry z10 both have been doing this. I will be calling Verizon about this today.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 06:25 AM
    One step at a time:
    Remove the SD card and see if the problem goes away. This is an easy test and shouldn't cause a major problem for anyone.

I wonder if the Verizon OS load was screwed up in some way. It would be nice if a significant number of Verizon customers did a security wipe first thing and reload the OS using Link. That is a lot to ask for non-technical people I know. I don't expect that will happen. However, If you are experiencing random restarts and removing the SD card didn't affect it, an OS reload would be a good next step.
    04-11-13 06:38 AM
    Your sample size is wayyyyyyyy too small to make such conclusions.

There are lots of people that run active frames all the time who get random boots frequently. I'm one of them.

Sorry to burst that particular bubble.
    Well just like the thread starter determined that it may have been an app for him, i determined that keeping an active frame open prevents it seeing as how it didn't reboot on me for 2 days of having it open and the day i closed the frame it did...but i may have spoken too soon without incorporating other factors since i am now hearing that it could be the wifi (which i always have on)... I also think that it could be the model number as i've read of there being 2 types of z10s, mine ends in 100-3... My next test will be no wifi, and no active frames.

I know some people have decided to return theirs for another because of the reboots, but since t-mobile will charge me a $50 restocking fee i figured i'd stick it out and troubleshoot it as much as i can because if i end up getting another and it did the same think than i'd be out $100 bucks just in returns, and the phone cost me less than that to begin with.
    04-11-13 06:41 AM
    Trust me. Verizon has much more then 3 reports of this issue. Not sure where your coming from.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    04-11-13 06:45 AM
    Never had any random restarts, just had to reboot once (due to a change of my carrier plan: they canceled my BIS plan and they asked me to reboot).
    The apps I have are: blackberry travel, CB10, NYT, WSJ, angry birds, whatsapp, UFC, wordpress, box, run in crowd and no droid sideload. In active frame always whatsapp & bbm.
    Hope this help.
    04-11-13 07:10 AM
    Took my randomly rebooting Z10 back to Verizon last Saturday, got the unit exchanged, did a Restore through Blackberry Link. Have not had a reboot since.
    I would like to know how that restore went.

I am considering going that route but in my experience with legacy BBOS devices, there are various things that don't get restored. During recent discussions with Blackberry support, they seem to not exactly dispel that, in particular washing their hands of anything that might be lost related to 3rd-party apps.

But it would be nice to know if it restores things like previously-received SMS messages and emails still in the email account at the time of backup, desktop folder configurations, app registrations, WiFi and email account credentials, etc.

I wonder if the Verizon OS load was screwed up in some way. It would be nice if a significant number of Verizon customers did a security wipe first thing and reload the OS using Link.

Come to think of it, when I bought my Z10 I was immediately offered a ~20MB OS update after the phone originally came up, post provisioning.

The retail VZW rep cancelled that update, saying it was going to take too much time (I don't know if that's what those reps are doing as a matter of course - I was in a bit of a hurry because someone was waiting for me but I don't know if that was the reason she did that), but she allowed the phone to download/install a subsequent ~5MB update. (presumably the VZW bloatware add-on)

Beginning to wonder if cancelling that initial update started me off on the wrong foot or something.

Interestingly, Blackberry support reps seem to lean in the direction of assuming this kind of problem is a H/W issue. I sent them logs and will be keeping a close eye on it as my return window is shrinking fast..
    04-11-13 07:13 AM
    UPDATE: since following the steps I took in the original post, I have had no restarts in 8 days...
    Last edited by theotherjoeboy; 04-11-13 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo
    04-11-13 09:38 AM
    I was at my local Verizon store looking at the Z10. While testing the phone, not in demo mode, twice it went to a white screen and said installing plugins. It only took several seconds. When the home screen came back all the open apps were closed. Is this the reboots that some are encountering? Verizon only has a two week window on returns and from what I read this doesn't always happen right from the start. Concerned about dropping $600.00 and possibly being plagued with a hardware issue. At least if it's a software issue that usually can be fixed with a upgrade.
    Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    04-11-13 11:26 AM
    I was at my local Verizon store looking at the Z10. While testing the phone, not in demo mode, twice it went to a white screen and said installing plugins. It only took several seconds. When the home screen came back all the open apps were closed. Is this the reboots that some are encountering? Verizon only has a two week window on returns and from what I read this doesn't always happen right from the start. Concerned about dropping $600.00 and possibly being plagued with a hardware issue. At least if it's a software issue that usually can be fixed with a upgrade.
    Thanks,

I have never seen any message about "installing plugins" when the device reboots.
    04-11-13 02:58 PM
    I just deleted all the side loaded apps I had, and the phone seems to be working way smoother. I wonder what app it was that was messing things up. It's only been like an hour (lol) but so far so good. And I just typed up a massive email and it didn't reboot on me. Sweet. Oh, I also took out my sd card. I have a full charge right now, so I'm going to run the stopwatch. If it's off when I wake up, then I'll know it rebooted.

I'll send an update tomorrow!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 01:16 AM
    First I want to thank you for your effort to analyzing and recording this issue... I have had the same problem with a slow escalation... My device rebbots itself around 3-5 times a day... My first try to resolve this problem after reading your outstanding due was to delete nobex and angry birds cause these apps we have in common. And I want to inform you, that my Z10 works correctly since 36 hours without restarting... BTW- I haven't wiped my phone, just deleting both named apps...;-)
    04-14-13 02:46 AM
    I'm on my second z10 and it reboots and the first one did as well before I ever put any apps on all. I do have an SD card in from my 9930 and plan to swap that out with a brand new one to see if it makes a difference at all. It's is the one constant between the two devices.

That being said that thing the Verizon rep said about only 3 reported coming in about reboots is a crock of it. I know I called and others on blackberry have said they did as well. I think at least 4 in this thread. If that rep only sees 3 then someone is either reading incorrectly or reporting incorrectly.

And for the person who mentioned the update out of the box when you got your device, my rep in store told me that was an update blackberry sent out after the devices were received by the stores and that they were told to do the update before handing the device over. And that that specific update was not a carrier update.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 04:21 AM
95 1234