12-17-13 09:16 AM
108 1234 ...
tools
    My view is that the Z falls between two stools. It's neither an out and out business phone nor a consumer gaming/music/app platform. The packaging is also pretty flat compared to say an HTC One.

The marketing has also been absolutely appalling.

The big potential pluses are qnx and TAT and they need to leverage the max out of these.

Considering they have mega cash they should have subtracted native app and playbook development.

As it stands, sadly, it'sway too late.
    06-28-13 01:40 PM
    First of all it's a new OS. android sales was 6.8M the first year and windows 7 was 1M. Apple ios 3.3 M and year later 11.1 M. So it's a start like and it's a nice start but people thinking they will sell 144M like android but not today and not this year. it's like blackberry allready said. We have to build a base and it's the same with the app store. It's huge for a 4 month old OS. At least it shows growth in sales and it seems Blackberry is happy with that. They also earn 2-3 times more on there Z10 than Nokia does. Nokia still is subsidised by Microsoft .

There is one think to win more consumers and that is to show people that BB10 is as easy as android/apple ands stuff like the keyboard, hub and timeshift but not with face's but with skip the rope with children. Just a photo in the action.

one point and glad they did. No BB10 on Playbook but they need to build a update voor existed OS with flash, beter browser etc to get
    a final playbook OS to finish that chapter. It will give them credits.

Attachment 176969

NOTE; New cpu or more ram is no use at the moment in europe S4 sales not so good and people stuck with there old android of just buyinga cheaper iphone 4 or HTC X because the OS is still the same and there is no real difference in 4.2 or 4.3 whatever. Also the first i said about cpu is like 4 or 8 core is also nu use because OS or Apps not using those core's also the max speed will be enough or just a overload for user and OS because you also dont buy a 3.6 Ghz CPU for your windows computer because you only wanted to type letters. So that said the Z10 has nice specs.
    I don't think that it's valid to compare iOS and Android releases to BB10 for two major reasons. One is that the mobile device market in 2013 is drastically different from the mobile device market in 2007 and 2008. There are obvious technology differences. There are also differences in the mindsets of the consumers now. In 2008, many people viewed data plans as too expensive and resisted getting smartphones because of the added expense. They reasoned that their phone was for phone calls only; they could check their email on their PCs. In 2013, people have realized that data plans are here to stay and are more willing to sign up for them now. This should be a boost for BB10, but that has not been the case.

The second reason is that Apple was known for computers (that only a few people used) and MP3 players. Google was known as a search engine. For either one of these companies to be accepted as a phone manufacturer was a hurdle for them to overcome. True, they had the advantage of high name recognition, but they weren't recognized in the cell phone market. BlackBerry, on the other hand, has been known in the cell phone market for over a decade. The average consumer doesn't see the progression from BBOS7 to BB10 as being any different than the progression from iOS 6 to iOS 7. This is just a new BlackBerry to most people who don't visit the CrackBerry forum.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    06-28-13 01:43 PM
    I'm going to say my opinion of how most people in the US feel.

Ok the BlackBerry Os10 is awesome but the z10 phone sucks compared to many other devices on the market. Here in the USA everyone wants the best of the best. If you want to sell devices here you better damn well push a product out that is BETTER than the competition and by better I mean faster, more powerful, more battery life, better camera and it needs to look sharp!!!! The Z10 is men't for the time of the iphone 4 and galaxy s3 at best. That is why it is a FAIL here in the USA. Plain and simple! If you want the rest of the world to adopt it you have to have great secuss here first. And this delayed launch crappie sucks and kills momentum..

If the A10 is built with similar specifications as the S4 it will fall flat just like the Z10. BlackBerry needs to get ahead of the competition now. Bigger badder and faster. That's all the average consumers look for. I fear the a10 will be another s4 and as soon as it comes out Samsung opens the flood gate again with an even better device.

It's do or die time for BlackBerry. Be better than the competition or shut the frickn door!!!

Still I love you blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 Challenge, Day 25: Lag | PhoneDog

http://thedroidguy.com/2013/06/lag-w...-in-galaxy-s4/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...y-s4-problems/

Yeah...higher specs mean higher performance
    06-28-13 01:49 PM
    My phone is a phone. It does what I want it to do which is communicate. The screen is too small for an entertainment device and I don't want a a huge screen phone that makes you look like a person talking to a binder. For entertainment get a tablet. I have an iPad and personally it is painful to use compared to my BB. That's why apple can sell iPad nd I phones. BlackBerry 10 is 5 months old and was started in the midst of a tech war. Not bad. It will get better and better and works. It is not perfect. I have seen the very supposedly fast Samsung with the huge bloatware. Reminds me of the aging Microsoft product. BlackBerry actually allowed my to be comfortable with a touch screen. Apple spell check made me say things that I did not want. Android is like a bunched of random programs that were thrown in a blender and a nice face out on it. It can do everything if you can remember where you found it and is similar to Microsoft products that you use 2% of their capability. I am really tired of hearing about just specs. BTW, I can not help that many carriers are slow to release software. It must be some kind of slow system.

Posted via CB10
    minimificence likes this.
    06-28-13 02:01 PM
    The only reason the Z10 is not selling well is

Marketing
    06-28-13 02:01 PM
    Do you have any stats to back up your opinion? Because I had heard the opposite. I heard the Z10 was selling quite well!
    You're kidding, right?
    06-28-13 02:20 PM
    Well. I think most people here on this forum live in their own little BlackBerry bubble. Just like neo conservatives or hari krishnas or what ever other cult you'd like to pick. The z 10 is a great phone. I bought it cause I thought Iphones business practices where appealing. So instead of Android which is also top notch I went with the Canadian company. The underdog that seemed to still have a bit of old fashion business ethics. No slave labour or shell company's to evade taxes.
    But for most of the world the iPhone is absolutely bullet proof. And easy to use and they have a great flawless app for just about any thing you'd ever need on this planet. Android is not to far behind iPhone and gaining fast.
    BlackBerry has a reputation for making buggy old phones that will freeze or crash. They never adressed this issue in their marketing. They should have had a satisfaction guarantee or something with the new phones. Almost every one I know in Canada, the home territory, has replaced their old buggy frustrating BlackBerry with either an android or iPhone. These same people look at ME as quaint cute for being loyal to a vintage Canadian company.
    While the new z10 is totally functional it's still a step being the competition. The apps r few and far between. No bank apps. No real estate apps no forum runner. On and on.
    The browser is fast. But it's catch up. All the other platforms have had fast browsers for years. But with z10 we can't organize our book marks or our favorite Web sites. There's no book mark folder either like in iphone. There's the whole issue of the mysterious re booting. And the browser freezing when doing a Google search. Most people outside our bubble want a reliable up to date phone without the suspense and mystery.
    As today's news sinks in I think you'll see less new apps come on board and eventually fewer updates to our operating system as well. U can expect to see more big executives leave the company. Remember when a few left last month and we couldn't figure out y??? Well now we know. It's a sinking ship.
    I'm upset. And I'll stuck with BlackBerry a bit longer. But I guess we should be realistic and try life outside the bubble.

Posted via CB10
    Murundum and Jamez Avila like this.
    06-28-13 02:35 PM
    A lot of ppl on this thread are right as to why BlackBerry isn't doing stellar & why it's not as bad as it seems. My opinion as to why it isn't doing super great comes down to 2 main points: MARKETING & HIPSTERS!

1. Marketing goes a LONG way in the US. the S4 isn't the top phone bc of its useless features or octa-cores. It is bc there are millions in marketing. (The rest is to satisfy the enthusiasts) Samsung is a master of perception. The phone you see the most w/ the biggest signs & the brightest colors is the one you're likely to get. Its a good phone, yes, but that's not why its POPULAR. Its popular off of mostly marketing.
    *Perfect example:::: Notice how BRIGHT the icons on the iPhone & S4 are. They stand out & catch your eye. You notice their screens off rip. That's a part of the marketing scheme!!

2. Gotta love those hipsters! Your phone is a fashion statement. The person with the hottest device is coolest. That's pretty much all there is to that one.

You can throw all your comments about how awesome QNX is, the zero-lag, & how great BB is, (and I will agree), but that's not what sells phones. The US tends to buy the shiniest, most in-your-face product & the coolest ones. Bottom Line.
    06-28-13 02:55 PM
    Fire whoever is responsible. NOW.
    06-28-13 02:58 PM
    I'm going to say my opinion of how most people in the US feel.

Ok the BlackBerry Os10 is awesome but the z10 phone sucks compared to many other devices on the market. Here in the USA everyone wants the best of the best. If you want to sell devices here you better damn well push a product out that is BETTER than the competition and by better I mean faster, more powerful, more battery life, better camera and it needs to look sharp!!!! The Z10 is men't for the time of the iphone 4 and galaxy s3 at best. That is why it is a FAIL here in the USA. Plain and simple! If you want the rest of the world to adopt it you have to have great secuss here first. And this delayed launch crappie sucks and kills momentum..

If the A10 is built with similar specifications as the S4 it will fall flat just like the Z10. BlackBerry needs to get ahead of the competition now. Bigger badder and faster. That's all the average consumers look for. I fear the a10 will be another s4 and as soon as it comes out Samsung opens the flood gate again with an even better device.

It's do or die time for BlackBerry. Be better than the competition or shut the frickn door!!!

Still I love you blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    I'm gonna go partial with that. There's a smarter way of selling touch devices in particular.

If we were living in qwerty keyboard age then your logic applies with the faster, powerful, battery life camera etc. however, in this day in age, the device with the greatest OS wins as in the case with iOS devices. Of course, to each his own and "greatest" doesn't mean the same to everybody, but I define greatest as to the OS's memory footprint to app availability.

Case in point, Apple found that the iPhone 4S were hindering iPhone 5 sales, thus messing with their quarterly. The "smart" ones didn't see performance increase over the 4S so why pay $300 more over the top? Now a new plan is coming to address that this year.

If blackberry hopes to steal away users from either iOS or Android--they don't quite get it yet. The core people who uses Android are geeks or those who can't afford an iDevice. If they can't install ROMs customized out to their hearts' content, they'll say BB10 security is too high. I've spoken and asked as to why one carrier store has had Z10s being returned and I was told that the customers wanted a low learning curve and that the unfamiliarity of swiping hurts their brain. So it's too radical of a change and too restricted. That being said, my Z10 has elicited curiosity due to the size of the screen, but that's not going to last. Let's hope that trust and faith doesn't diminish from playbook all the way to Z10. Last thing we need is app developers turning away from lack of trust in this company.

Yet the iPhone 4S has a smaller screen the OS makes it a still brain dead, fast and easy to use, handy little gadget to operate. It just works. Talking about hardware spec is dated if theres a banging OS and only left to screen sizes. The iPhone 5 has just half the RAM and is clocked slower than the Z10 at that.

Sent from my iPhone4S after my Z10 took a trip in the bowl
    Last edited by WhiteSpir1t; 06-28-13 at 03:41 PM.
    06-28-13 03:00 PM
    It's the mhz an ghz wars or the late 90s early 00s again. Yes we need more powerful specs under the hood but many people base their purchase just on that not realising that what they're paying for is way more than needed to run the phone and they will probably never are full use of what's under the hood.

Not that that logic matters though. It won't change anyones mind. What's needed is apps. As much as.i hate to say it and hardly would use many of the "it" apps that's going to draw people to the phone.
    That and better advertising.

Posted via CB10 using my BlackBerry Z10 smartphone
    06-28-13 03:07 PM
    Number of apps - no
    Quality of apps - unfortunately not with all this Android 2.3 crap in there
    Design hardware - no, too much bezel
    Design software - no, too boring app-pane with ugly icons
    Built quality - no, plasticy plastic and a non-durable screen glass
    Music - yes, but overpriced
    Movies - by far not globally
    Streaming services - no
    Maps - mediocre, can't hold up to the competition
    Desktop software - Link is horrible and feature-poor
    Backup and sync-features - really bad
    OS stability - no, any update can screw up the whole system and battery performance if you don't make a ckean install (means no backup) -problem: no average consumer will update the phone with all this workarounds
    Performance - the app drawer and peek gestures stutter when the browser is opened in an Active Frame
    Any special apps other platforms haven't - NO
    Battery life - NO
    +1
    Its unbelievable, RIM needs to bailing out this company and it best chance is this piece of crap?
    Im a devoted user of BB devices bold series, from the 1st bold to the great 9790, rock solid devices... till now.
    "This" is supposed to be the Next Gen Solution for upcoming times? Seriously, seems not.
    Switching from OS7 to BB10 was a pain in the 4ss,
    Factory reset: Jesusz Fkng Christ, took me about 30 min of desperation diggin on whats going on with the device.
    Random reboots, and so on.
    The "Hub" concept is the new star?
    The design?
    ...C'mon, WTF with you guys?

I will give it a last try to the new SDK, after that my money will take a look to an others pocket.
    Last edited by poiznberry; 06-28-13 at 04:21 PM.
    06-28-13 03:28 PM
    Another concern is current BlackBerry reliability. Taking my example: I had in less than a year two Bold 9900 dead and got two replacements from my carier. I was thinking of getting an unlocked Z10 or Q10 on Amazon next month upon my travel to US (to save some $ because here in Brazil the Z10 is too damn expensive) but I am afraid of doing that becuase of the problems related here on the forum on a no-warranty device.
    06-28-13 04:00 PM
    Blackberry should develop a hand gun that has a built in phone & camera. Imagine, the mulittasking, you can be on the line with the police dispatcher, while streaming the video live, getting instant voting from the public whether or not you would justified shooting the intruder.

Now that would be big in the US.
    06-28-13 04:12 PM
    Fire whoever is responsible. NOW.
    And that person would be...
    06-28-13 04:17 PM
    Why does bb10 commercials have a guy on a magic carpet and rocking out in them... show the damn os and phones

Need to fire these larrys they got marketing and then ppl will buy the device

Posted via CB10
    They did, they are getting a new PR firm for ads
    06-28-13 04:26 PM
    Do you have any stats to back up your opinion? Because I had heard the opposite. I heard the Z10 was selling quite well!
    Apparently you heard wrong! It is not, nor will it.
    06-28-13 04:57 PM
    Somebody at BlackBerry better read this. Twice.

I think the OP is basically right here.

The point is it's completely irrelevant how efficient QNX is or where BBRYs aiming at (target audience). "We're not in the specs race". I agreed to that and from a marketing perspective it made sense. But meanwhile I'm under the impression that this isn't the case. I think classic targeted market cultivation doesn't work in the smartphone market. You NEED a mass compelling device, there is no non-specie viable niche in the long term. The only company that's barely in the specs race is Apple, but iOS and the iPhone has many other selling points to it, whether it's built quality, design, number and quality of apps, the ecosystem and its services as a whole or the great update-/software support. Nokia is also struggling and fighting hard, but at least Nokia has also some selling points to it, like also design, built quality, its camera and all those free Nokia apps.

So here is the deal: BBRY has nearly NONE of those selling points. Just take the Z10 with BB10 right now.

Number of apps - no
    Quality of apps - unfortunately not with all this Android 2.3 crap in there
    Design hardware - no, too much bezel
    Design software - no, too boring app-pane with ugly icons
    Built quality - no, plasticy plastic and a non-durable screen glass
    Music - yes, but overpriced
    Movies - by far not globally
    Streaming services - no
    Maps - mediocre, can't hold up to the competition
    Desktop software - Link is horrible and feature-poor
    Backup and sync-features - really bad
    OS stability - no, any update can screw up the whole system and battery performance if you don't make a ckean install (means no backup) -problem: no average consumer will update the phone with all this workarounds
    Performance - the app drawer and peek gestures stutter when the browser is opened in an Active Frame
    Any special apps other platforms haven't - NO
    Battery life - NO

The list goes on and on. Disclaimer: this isn't my personal opinion, it's the opinion I think the average consumer has. So if you're so short in all those departments, jeck, you better at least beat the competition with specs! Why not?

I love the size, feeling and built-quality of the Z10, also it's design, but hell, the average consumer doesn't. For the average consumer the Z10 is just a bulky cheap-built iPhone 5 clone from a design perspective.

So they really need to come up with a latest and greatest hardware phone. They NEED.

1. Built all stock apps in cascades with hardware-accelerated C-code and polish it more until it never ever lags or stutters and runs constantly at 50-60 fps no matter what
    2. Take the TAT guys and redesign the look and feel of all app icons, make it something more fresh and post up strong design guidelines for third party app icons
    3. Built a freaking phone that's not only functional, but also PRETTY and luxurious. Take some metal and try to achieve a design that's new and fresh but also clean, understating and timeless. Its possible, even without screwing up reception quality. Just WORK OUT a wow designed, well-built, handy, modern looking phone thats sleek and thin
    4. Push battery capacity to the LIMIT.
    5. Just take the latest and greatest Specs. If we take the Z10, just put a 4.6" 1080p screen in there (Too big? Wasted processing power? Can't distinguish 720 and 1080p anyway? TRUE, but average joe doesn't care. He wants THIS.). If an upcoming Android device is rumored to ship with a QSD800, ask Qualcomm for the QSD1000. The competition sports 2 gig of RAM? Take 4. They sport 4? Take 8. Just do it. Beat the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One2 in Benchmark tests by a +50% score. Nokia puts a PureView cam into their phones? Phone Nikon and Canon and send two engineers to them to figure out how to build a 21 MP DSLR into a phone thats 8 mm thick.

But the approach so far is "so we take these last years components that just reach whats needed and built it into a somehow nice looking phone and advertise some unique software experience features nobody will really care about".

I LOVE my Z10. But please BBRY, built a phone already that makes average joe smile on the first picture, at first glance, at first hands-on and also on the spec-sheet.

Posted via CB10 on my JUST FOR ME glorious Z10
    06-28-13 06:22 PM
    Did you hear or read the earnings report?

Tim
    06-28-13 08:25 PM
    They did, they are getting a new PR firm for ads
    A new PR firm will not help until BB is able to execute a launch correctly and with a full feature, cutting edge phone.

So so does not cut it here!
    (and soon elsewhere)
    06-28-13 08:27 PM
    A new PR firm will not help until BB is able to execute a launch correctly and with a full feature, cutting edge phone.So so does not cut it here!(and soon elsewhere)
    As Apple showed us, you can sell anything with good enough advertising.
    06-28-13 08:57 PM
    Did you hear or read the earnings report?Tim
    To be fair, we don't know how many Z10s were sold. All we know is that bb10 devices sold probably in the neighborhood of 2-300k less than was originally estimated by analysts.
    06-28-13 09:00 PM
    Pointless thread. People need to stop creating useless threads.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 09:29 PM
    The phones are just too expensive. Sitting on the shelf next to the S4 or the HTC One the Z10 isn't going to look very impressive, and then you're also asking people to take a chance on something unproven at the same time? For the same $199? BlackBerry needs to get realistic about what they can ask for.
    06-28-13 09:52 PM
    They only shipped 2.7M bb10 phones, how many were actually sold?

50% at best I assume.

1.35M bb10 phones actually sold. Hell it could be less than a million for all we know, especially since they didn't even mention the #

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 10:24 PM
108 1234 ...