My fourth Z10 died today. This one was not plugged into any charger. I was opening the lock screen and the phone went dark. Took it to Verizon and they could not revive it. They offered to replace it at no cost with (1) a Z30, (2) a Samsung Galaxy S3, or (3) a Razrr Max. I initially opted for the Z30, but thought about it and decided to get the S3 - yes for the apps (including Pandora) - plus I am really tired of Z10's dying on me and am concerned that the Z30 might do the same. My plan upgrade will be avaialable at the end of January 2014, at which time I will try to figure out what will work best for me. There just comes a point . . . . . .

So back to my Bold 9930 until the S3 arrives on Monday. My old totally reliable Bold
    Wikichick likes this.
    12-06-13 01:52 PM
    im sorry but what is the problem? it just goes too black screen?
    Mazokun likes this.
    12-06-13 01:55 PM
    This is going to sound mean, but as I previously stated before, what are the odds that you are lucky enough to have 4 break in a row from manufacture defects? Let's assume that 1 in every 1000 is defected, which is VERY HIGH and a very bad QC check.
    So the chance of that happening to you are 1/1000^4, or 1 in every 1,000,000,000,000, 1 in every Trillion!
    I'm fairly certain that BB doesn't even have that many devices sold
    I'm usually inclined to say that it's more likely a user specific mal-use
    12-06-13 02:01 PM
    When the screen goes black, swipe up from the bottom. :-)

Really though, a question, through your replacement phones, did you maintain the same battery, sim card, mem card, and charger? Seems to be a recurring theme. Typically the sim card from what I've read. Seems to carry the 'disease' from one phone to another.

#IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    ami.one, Atmarix, jevinzac and 1 others like this.
    12-06-13 02:03 PM
    YEP - totally dead. Pull the battery or not, plugged in or not, hold down the power and low volume for 20 seconds. No joy
    12-06-13 02:12 PM
    That may have been the case (the sim card). I cannot recall for sure. Verizon always set the Z10's up so I didn't really pay attention to that.
    12-06-13 02:13 PM
    No mal-use. The phone is lying on my desk plugged in most of the time. Then in the vest pocket of my jacket. No abuse whatsoever. The sim card idea may have some validity but I have no way of knowing at this point
    12-06-13 02:15 PM
    That may have been the case (the sim card). I cannot recall for sure. Verizon always set the Z10's up so I didn't really pay attention to that.
    Just from what I've read with others, it's always the case. Still don't understand why though.

#IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    12-06-13 02:20 PM
    My fourth Z10 died today. This one was not plugged into any charger. I was opening the lock screen and the phone went dark. Took it to Verizon and they could not revive it. They offered to replace it at no cost with (1) a Z30, (2) a Samsung Galaxy S3, or (3) a Razrr Max. I initially opted for the Z30, but thought about it and decided to get the S3 - yes for the apps (including Pandora) - plus I am really tired of Z10's dying on me and am concerned that the Z30 might do the same. My plan upgrade will be avaialable at the end of January 2014, at which time I will try to figure out what will work best for me. There just comes a point . . . . . .

So back to my Bold 9930 until the S3 arrives on Monday. My old totally reliable Bold
    There is no way that this is a device problem. The odds make it a usage problem. What version of the OS do you have? Do you ever use the charger that came with the phone or do you only ever use the computer USB. I have known that when too many devices are plugged into a USB hub or ports and there isn't a suitable driver or power, that it looks like it is charging, but it really doesn't get the spark it needs. Then it dies. I have had to plug the device with a Playbook charger for 12 to 24 hours to get it back up and running. The odds are that you are doing something wrong as I have yet to see a bricked bb10 device that I couldn't get back up and running.
    12-06-13 02:26 PM
    No mal-use. The phone is lying on my desk plugged in most of the time. Then in the vest pocket of my jacket. No abuse whatsoever. The sim card idea may have some validity but I have no way of knowing at this point
    I guess you'll know when they put the LTE sim card in the S3...
    12-06-13 02:29 PM

It's kind of scary reading this as the same thing just happened to me. 3 Z10's have died on me in the same manner you described. Exactly! I just spend 3 days on the line with Blackberry tech support. Blackberry refused to honor there one year warranty on the phone which I purchased brand new through Amazon. I had this last Z10 for 4 months before it went black. I had the worst experience ever with customer support dealing with Blackberry. A disgrace that they wouldn't even honor there one year warranty. I'm done with Blackberry, absolutely finished! Never again will I purchase or advise anybody to buy one of their phones. Sad because I loved my Z and have always been a loyal BB fan. The way they treated me was completely a disgrace.

I just purchased a Moto X via the holiday promotion. Couldn't be happier. I can still use BBM and Flexsy Keyboard via Google Play is identical to the BB keyboard if not better. I'm done with BB, sorry but no wonder this company is going down the drain. Sad but they are doing it to themselves screwing over loyal customers and building faulty porducts.
    12-06-13 02:32 PM
    Ugh I feel so sidelined because I'm still only on my first Z10. OP I can almost bet you its not a handset issue, most likely Sim related. The odds are just mind blowing.
    12-06-13 02:37 PM
    I call b.s.
    12-06-13 02:43 PM
    And that's why BlackBerry is failing...gotta be more decicated!...lol.

4 devices seems like a stretch, I've had consistent issues with my z10, but never to the extent of black screen of death?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 02:48 PM
    10.1.2039 I think. No - the phone was always plugged into the wall charger that came with it (unless I was on BB Link which hasn't been for a couple of days)
    12-06-13 02:49 PM
    I don't think that will happen. Wouldnt the S3 come with its own sim card? They didn't remove the sim card from my dead Z10
    12-06-13 02:51 PM
    Yes - I have my eye on the Moto X when my plan is up. But maybe someone can convince me to go with the Z30. Will think about it.
    12-06-13 02:52 PM
    It's kind of scary reading this as the same thing just happened to me. 3 Z10's have died on me in the same manner you described. Exactly! I just spend 3 days on the line with Blackberry tech support. Blackberry refused to honor there one year warranty on the phone which I purchased brand new through Amazon. I had this last Z10 for 4 months before it went black. I had the worst experience ever with customer support dealing with Blackberry. A disgrace that they wouldn't even honor there one year warranty. I'm done with Blackberry, absolutely finished! Never again will I purchase or advise anybody to buy one of their phones. Sad because I loved my Z and have always been a loyal BB fan. The way they treated me was completely a disgrace.

I just purchased a Moto X via the holiday promotion. Couldn't be happier. I can still use BBM and Flexsy Keyboard via Google Play is identical to the BB keyboard if not better. I'm done with BB, sorry but no wonder this company is going down the drain. Sad but they are doing it to themselves screwing over loyal customers and building faulty porducts.
    OK. Move along then. The odds of this being an hardware issue are better than the lotto. I haven't seen one BB10 device in our company "fail" that wasn't because of user error. They either didn't plug it in over a long weekend and didn't use the correct charger to get it back up and running, they dropped it, or didn't bother to update the software an complained it wasn't working. Those people who I updated to the latest software and told them how to use it, they never had problems.
    12-06-13 02:57 PM
    Love the Z30, the VP complained it wasn't working. Got the phone for myself and updated to the latest software and haven't had a single problem.
    12-06-13 02:58 PM
    Yes - I have my eye on the Moto X when my plan is up. But maybe someone can convince me to go with the Z30. Will think about it.
    Convince you??...4 devices fail and you need convincing?...lol

Posted from my Apple killer Z10
    12-06-13 03:02 PM
    I bet if I got a hold of all these BB that Verizon or users claim are bricked, I could revive about 95% of them.
    If they allowed me to keep 1 in every 20, I would gladly revive them :P
    m1kr0, mkelley65, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    12-06-13 03:03 PM
    This is going to sound mean, but as I previously stated before, what are the odds that you are lucky enough to have 4 break in a row from manufacture defects? Let's assume that 1 in every 1000 is defected, which is VERY HIGH and a very bad QC check.
    So the chance of that happening to you are 1/1000^4, or 1 in every 1,000,000,000,000, 1 in every Trillion!
    I'm fairly certain that BB doesn't even have that many devices sold
    I'm usually inclined to say that it's more likely a user specific mal-use
    So somehow your statistics assumptions are more valid and true than OP's experience? A person is entitled to be a fanboy, but not willfully blind. That doesn't help anybody.
    Droidophobe and blkbrylvr like this.
    12-06-13 03:07 PM
    Well none of your "explanations" apply to me. They were plugged in on my desk all day on the correct charger, and at night in my kitchen. They were never dropped. The software was updated. They were backed up on BA and BB Link. I really don't have any idea what was wrong with them (but I am leaning towards the sim card theorty stated above). And I have to say that I have had several phones over the years, most recently by VERY RELIABLE BOLD, and never had one die like this.
    12-06-13 03:07 PM
    I see your point
    12-06-13 03:08 PM
    ...or didn't bother to update the software an complained it wasn't working. Those people who I updated to the latest software and told them how to use it, they never had problems.
    A device that fails because of older software is still a device that fails.
    12-06-13 03:10 PM
162 123 ...