Great review. Hopefully others will find the same experiences as you have. Thanks for sharing Ron.

The app issue is something I do find will take a little patience. So far though it hasn't taken away anything from my experience. For instance, no need for Google Maps app on bb10. The interface thru the browser works great. All the functionality and layers work extremely well.

The fact that BlackBerry has put together a great browser compensates enough for not having the actual app. I hear ya though, it would be ideal...

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 07:31 AM
    Nice review. $64 question - how's the virtual keyboard for typing emails versus the old BB hard keyboard?
    Coming from the Bold 9900, the virtual keyboard on the Z10 is amazing. I love the sureness and the feel of the physical keys, but the Z10 keyboard brings a level of confidence I didn't think was possible with a virtual keyboard. I say it to everyone, just hammer the keyboard with two thumbs at top speed and watch auto-correct sort everything out with astounding accuracy. The flick typing is actually useful in more ways than you might expect, using alternate words or ignoring auto-correct for example. When I text my girlfriend, I call her "hunni", not "honey". If I were to just press space, it would autocorrect this word. If I 'flick' space, the word is entered just as I spelled it. Of course, once you use a unique word enough, it automatically recognizes it and becomes part of the auto-correction library Another example would be "well vs we'll" or "were vs we're" etc. Auto-correct is very, very good at choosing the correct form based on the sentence you're forming, but if it is a more ambiguous use case, I can type "well" and flick "we'll" into place. I'm so hooked on this keyboard!
    Xopher likes this.
    03-16-13 07:32 AM
    Great review. Hopefully others will find the same experiences as you have. Thanks for sharing Ron.

The app issue is something I do find will take a little patience. So far though it hasn't taken away anything from my experience. For instance, no need for Google Maps app on bb10. The interface thru the browser works great. All the functionality and layers work extremely well.

The fact that BlackBerry has put together a great browser compensates enough for not having the actual app. I hear ya though, it would be ideal...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the feedback, I sold my first z10 to a former 9900 user in in Michigan and he is happy with the device. I wanted a white model which I am picking to today from a friend in Canada since the product has not been released here yet. Since the z10 was my primary deice, I am using my backup iPhone 5 the past day and it sucks. I have gotten so used to the z10 with the BB Hub and BB Flow etc and I have decided I can never go back. Can't wait to get my new white one.
    03-16-13 08:00 AM
    The apps issue has been defined originally by Apple and then followed up by Android. It is a reality that for many people, apps define their experience. And apps can determine whether or not people will buy one phone or another. The specs game is defined in many ways by Android because the software is largely controlled by Google. Blackberry cannot define either apps or specs.

Here is the big HOWEVER. It is the UI experience. No home button, flow, peek, the Hub, the incredible keyboard, story maker, BBM screen share, balance (for business). As I read reviews and comments about the user experience, I think this is where BlackBerry can set the standard and define the experience. At least I hope so. This is the big selling point. It brings BlackBerry back into the discussion. It is the big difference and makes BlackBerry an option, puts them back in the game. Let's hope that is how it goes down in the States. All they need is a few more big US apps and that should do it, at least for enough consumers to turn their fortunes around.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 10:02 AM
    I am only basing it off what my experience has been, I was also surprised when after the software update, the phone now had the T-Mobile apps and logos. The phone is still carrier and network unlocked, but the APN settings are grayed out. Maybe they are doing something different with the new BB OS10 and the software updates are based on the carrier/sim card detected in the phone?

My friend bought the same model as me and is using it on AT&T here is the US and the software update also set-up his phone with the proper network settings for AT&T USA and his phone is carrier and network unlocked like mine. Does not bother me one way or another, less work I have to do to make sure my network settings are correct.
    Yes. It is SIM card dependent. I like it that way.
    03-16-13 10:12 AM
    Nice. Sounds like a balanced review that is in line with consensus. Good to acknowledge the strengths of the design, which are centered around communications. And also acknowledge what we all know to be true -- missing apps are really the issue and probably the only substantial one.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    03-16-13 10:18 AM
    Thanks Ronald,
    Nice review, I had been using the Nexus 4 (N4) for the last two weeks on TM. I have a PB, 9360, and a HTC MyTouch. I love all three and was really impressed with the N4. I loved the integration with Google and the speed and smoothness of Jelly Bean 4.2.2. This is a great phone! In fact I love it! There is a lot to like about the N4, except the internal battery and no HDMI plug. However, I could not take my eyes off the Z10's possible launch date on TM. Needless to say, I sent the N4 back and I am excited to try out the Z10.

The one thing I have noticed about the BB products over the years is the fact that the phones really don't need as many third party apps as people scream for. BB seems to really think through what people need on the business end and integrate it into their OS. For example, it appears that BB Remember is very similar to Evernote with a touch to GTD integrated. Also, both are closely tied to the email, task, and calendar applications; is that your perception?

One of the very small and subtle features that I love about BB OS is the use of flags within the email application that can be set as reminders. Although I have used Android for the past 4 years, I was really pulling for BB to come out with a home run. I think they have one with the Z10. The one app I hope BB OS 10 gets nailed down is Skype; or allow BBM to receive third party video apps, like they do with messaging. I think they could really gain some of the market back if they allowed other platforms to use BBM as a plug-in. Maybe they can regain their luster. In the meanwhile, I am stoked about moving on to the Z10.
    Last edited by David Burden; 03-16-13 at 01:45 PM.
    03-16-13 01:29 PM
    Glad you liked my review. I am back in the Blackberry community and I am here to stay. I just got my new white z10 and I was using my iPhone 5 since I sold my black z10 yesterday and it definitely sucked.

I am really starting to appreciate the z10 as my Daly driver. I will write some follow up reviews and I will be a regular subscriber to the Crackberry.com website and I enjoy it. Let me know when you get your z10 and I look forward to reading you feedbak.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 05:23 PM
    thanks for sharing
    03-17-13 01:57 AM
    glad you like the phone. curious, why didn't you wait for the tmo release this month to get a warranty, etc? what is your battery life like? what about notifications compared to an old berry - do you have different vibrations and can you set different volumes for different notifications? how would the camera be for taking snaps of food in dimly lit restaurants for example? how is the camera if ones gives it to a person to take a picture of you - with the current berry there are 5 horizontal items and the camera has to be centered for it to take a snap, sort of a hassle..is there a way to just have a single button and had it to someone like a normal camera? if I want to listen to music now I path out to media, scroll down to the play list I want, hit play and lock the device - stick it in my cycling jersey and I am done. easy to adjust the volume, holding the vol keys toggles tracks and the mic mute works as a pause on most any cheap ear buds. how is the experience different on the Z10? re alarms, what is available - can one have multiple alarms? I don't do facebook or twitter, just exch mail the phone and an occasional restaurant or news look-up but would love maps on a device with strong turn by turn for walking domestically and in Europe - how does this feature work compared to google maps? re making calls, how easy is it compared to the old way and is there any voice calling or can you call up a email by name and dictate into it and say send? I am sure all this has been covered ad nauseam but I have not kept up on this device as I might be more interested in the Q and you seem to be a detailed individual that can just lay out the bottom line on these questions. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by kurtla; 03-17-13 at 11:47 AM.
    03-17-13 11:27 AM
    glad you like the phone. curious, why didn't you wait for the tmo release this month to get a warranty, etc? what is your battery life like? what about notifications compared to an old berry - do you have different vibrations and can you set different volumes for different notifications? how would the camera be for taking snaps of food in dimly lit restaurants for example? how is the camera if ones gives it to a person to take a picture of you - with the current berry there are 5 horizontal items and the camera has to be centered for it to take a snap, sort of a hassle..is there a way to just have a single button and had it to someone like a normal camera? if I want to listen to music now I path out to media, scroll down to the play list I want, hit play and lock the device - stick it in my cycling jersey and I am done. easy to adjust the volume, holding the vol keys toggles tracks and the mic mute works as a pause on most any cheap ear buds. how is the experience different on the Z10? re alarms, what is available - can one have multiple alarms? I don't do facebook or twitter, just exch mail the phone and an occasional restaurant or news look-up but would love maps on a device with strong turn by turn for walking domestically and in Europe - how does this feature work compared to google maps? re making calls, how easy is it compared to the old way and is there any voice calling or can you call up a email by name and dictate into it and say send? I am sure all this has been covered ad nauseam but I have not kept up on this device as I might be more interested in the Q and you seem to be a detailed individual that can just lay out the bottom line on these questions. Thanks in advance!
    I have never been into the warranty thing and I always buy my phone off contract anyways. I have found most the the warranties are insurance companies who charge you 7.00 a month and then want a 180.00 deductible when you need to replace the phone. I got a great deal on the phone and I have it in my hands now and I don't have to wait for it. I am just that type of person as to when I want something I just buy it.

So far the z10 has been great on T-Mobile. I haven't been able to test the camera, I usually never take pictures with my phone anyways, I have a digital SLR for that function. There where a couple of minor software quirks here and there, but nothing to be concerned about, I am actually impressed for a new OS that it's very stable and functional for me. The 10.0.0.85 update fixed the battery issue and so far, so good. I would think they will probably have another software update before the official US release, but not sure. I am officially back to the Blackberry world and I am not looking back, it's full speed ahead and I am excited to see where it's going to go.
    03-17-13 12:15 PM
    understood, so if the phone dies in < 1 year you just get another? that would bother me I think + in addition to a replacement for a deductible for loss the monthly fee also extends the factory warranty indefinitely - pretty inexpensive way to get a refresh if you ask me. so no comments on any of the specifics huh - do you not use notifications?
    03-17-13 12:27 PM
    understood, so if the phone dies in < 1 year you just get another? that would bother me I think + in addition to a replacement for a deductible for loss the monthly fee also extends the factory warranty indefinitely - pretty inexpensive way to get a refresh if you ask me.
    but, if you get a replacement through your carrier then it will be a refurb. . it's not like if your phone dies then you'll get a brand new phone as a replacement. . the "deductible" and monthly "insurance plan" essentially pays the cost for the refurbished handset.

let's say you pay $7/month and your phone dies in month 13. . you'll have paid $91 in "insurance" and will need to pay a $180 deductible for a new device. . that's $271 for a used phone. . 13 months from now there will probably be a Z20 and you won't want another Z10 anyway.

it's all about risk versus return. . carrier warranty isn't always ideal.
    03-17-13 02:01 PM
    you are incorrect, the monthly fee does two things; it maintains a deducible based insurance policy with asurion in the case of tmo and it extends the factory warranty indefinitely via tmo - for $ 5 one can get a refurb unit pretty much as often as they desire and tmo pays for overnight shipping - I know as I had my 9780 replaced twice this year alone. overall the refurb units are great, pretty much new devices so I find the warranty to be a bargain of sorts but everyone is different. I love great service, its what I look for when I purchase tech.
    03-17-13 02:27 PM
    but, if you get a replacement through your carrier then it will be a refurb. . it's not like if your phone dies then you'll get a brand new phone as a replacement. . the "deductible" and monthly "insurance plan" essentially pays the cost for the refurbished handset.

let's say you pay $7/month and your phone dies in month 13. . you'll have paid $91 in "insurance" and will need to pay a $180 deductible for a new device. . that's $271 for a used phone. . 13 months from now there will probably be a Z20 and you won't want another Z10 anyway.

it's all about risk versus return. . carrier warranty isn't always ideal.
    Exactly, I have always felt the same way. I have been lucky and never had any major hardware issues to justify the carrier warranty , but I take great care of my phone and never abused it. I have friends who always want to buy my used phone because even after I have used it for a year, it still looks nice. Thats just the way I am. These things just cost to much to not take care of them.
    03-17-13 02:29 PM
    understood, so if the phone dies in < 1 year you just get another? that would bother me I think + in addition to a replacement for a deductible for loss the monthly fee also extends the factory warranty indefinitely - pretty inexpensive way to get a refresh if you ask me. so no comments on any of the specifics huh - do you not use notifications?
    Yes I do use the notifications and I like the home screen showing the current notifications on the left side i.e. Text, Email, FB and Twitter. The BB Hub is awesome and I am hooked on this concept where all your messages are in one area and you can access them.
    03-17-13 02:32 PM
    lol one of us needs more coffee or a different type..different vols and tones for say desktop msgs and sms? different vibrations, short, med long and different vib counts; 3 @ med, 2 @ short, etc. is there a red led for anything that hits the unit? thx
    03-17-13 02:41 PM
    Please someone tell me what exact model and where can I get one for tmobile? I see plenty of z10s for sale on ebay or amazon but when I inquire I get...well it may not work on tmobile.....thanks
    I bought one on GSMnation.com and it works perfectly on T mobile, also on At&T

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:46 PM
    Lots of talk about "apps" and their availability. Just how secure are today's apps? When I first got my 9800 I tried them and found them slow and very insecure. I had no way of knowing what the app was doing except that when I did tests the apps were into places on my phone they shouldn't have been.

So, I use the browser and bookmarks. Seems to work just fine. I can surf, pay bills, deposit checks, make travel reservations, etc. just fine?

So, educate me. Why apps? What real advantage do they have? Or, is it just a bit of gimmickry that all the cool guys do?
    03-17-13 03:28 PM
    Here in South Africa if your BlackBerry develops a fault you just return it to your carrier whether you are on prepaid or contract. Even if your phone isn't used at all and sits in your cupboard for a year. As far as I understood BlackBerry have a worldwide warranty that they honour. If you're paying insurance for this you're being scammed.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 03:43 PM
    I am currently using the value unlimited shared plan at 79.00 a month for each line and I have 2 lines, I haven't had any issues surfing the web or with my data connection. I think the issue is the only folks who can get the phone or support for the phone is the T-Mobile business customers who they released it to on the 11th. I bought mine in Canada (100-3 RFF91LW Model) that was locked to Rogers, I unlocked it and it's working perfectly. I get a solid 4G signal everywhere I go. Hope it helps you in your decision.
    Can't you look up the frequency bands under settings like on OS 7? That way you can see if the RFF91LW and the RFK121LW are the same phone and the T-Mobile 1700/2100 AWS frequency was just software locked and one the RFF91LW is unlocked it basically turns into the RFK121LW.

And just screenshot that screen so we can see.
    Last edited by Core_Frequency; 03-18-13 at 05:15 AM. Reason: added more info
    03-18-13 04:34 AM
    Can't you look up the frequency bands under settings like on OS 7? That way you can see if the RFF91LW and the RFK121LW are the same phone and the T-Mobile 1700/2100 AWS frequency was just software locked and one the RFF91LW is unlocked it basically turns into the RFK121LW.

And just screenshot that screen so we can see.
    I looked under settings and it does not show the frequency bands, I am not that familier with OS7 as I am new to the BB World.
    03-18-13 06:33 AM
    I looked under settings and it does not show the frequency bands, I am not that familier with OS7 as I am new to the BB World.
    In OS 7 there was an about section which showed you the frequency bands...

I read somewhere that the RFF91LW and the RFK121LW are both Pentaband (the RFF91LW gains the 1700 frequency once it's unlocked)
    03-18-13 06:36 AM
    Is this a BlackBerry thing where you now have the T-Mobile start-up jingle on your phone? I have used many non-carrier branded devices and devices that were carrier-unlocked in the past and have never had carrier apps or start-up/shut-down jingles "appear" on my phones. I had a Wind BlackBerry on T-Mobile, but it never got updated so I don't know what would have happened there.

This concerns me because I went ahead and decided to spend the extra money on an unlocked Z10 versus a carrier Z10. One factor in that decision was the fact that I wouldn't have carrier bloatware.
    Its not carrier bloatware, think of it as enhancing the device for the carrier. I have a Vodafone UK Z10 and when I put in an MTN Nigeria sim, it came up with their splash screen and settings. The same would happen with whatever carrier's sim you put in the Z10
    03-18-13 06:41 AM
    Its not carrier bloatware, think of it as enhancing the device for the carrier. I have a Vodafone UK Z10 and when I put in an MTN Nigeria sim, it came up with their splash screen and settings. The same would happen with whatever carrier's sim you put in the Z10
    They have been testing the 4G LTE bands here because of the T-mobile HTC One launch later this month, which is they're first LTE smartphone. I thought I saw the 4G LTE pop up on my z10 in one area near where I live. I will know soon enough when the HTC One is officially launched later this month.
    03-18-13 07:34 AM
79 1234