You are aware that BlackBerry is already aware of this and are looking into fixing it?

Yes, today you can't view older emails. That doesn't mean it will forever be like this.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    04-01-13 09:21 AM
    It is a bit amazing that people see only what they want to see when they read.

There are really very few that have said that there should' t be an option to save longer than 30 days. All some are saying is that as it us now there is options that work, albeit not the way some would like, and if people want the option to save longer than 30 days then go ahead and ask for it.

Ya, I am an unabashed BB supporter. Don't like that? Then put me on ignore.
    It should have been a given. They tried to cut corners again.
    It's like buying a car and have to ask include a steering wheel.....too ******* stupid to be done by accident.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 09:30 AM
    And you are aware that "Coming Soon" is a phrase that BlackBerry users are becoming all too used to hearing and unfortunately but understandably becoming numb to.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    04-01-13 09:32 AM
    You are aware that BlackBerry is already aware of this and are looking into fixing it?

Yes, today you can't view older emails. That doesn't mean it will forever be like this.
    Yes I believe everyone is aware of that but it is also a fact that the world will not "stop Spinning" and wait for BlackBerry to get on. This is a hard truth, enterprises and some users cannot wait out for BlackBerry to release the update and not having date specific info on this getting fixed creates insecurity to some. As we all know insecurity and markets are a bad marriage.

I do have the Z10, this is not crucial to me and I also still have my old BlackBerry as backup but if I were to purchase as a company and needed the feature to decide on 1500 - 2000 phones purchase I would need feedback with concrete info so I could see if it fit my planning. Not having that opens the door for a client to have a look elsewhere.

Same goes with individuals. If it is time to change phone right now (say their previous phone died or they have a cool upgrade offer for limited time period) they are not obliged to trust BlackBerry on the rumors of when. These people as much as it may sadden some of us as BlackBerry fans, will also look elsewhere maybe.

The one that has to protect its investment and be preemptive in order to avoid such situations is bb.

It is not just *if* it is getting fixed. *When* it is getting fixed is crucial parameter in many scenarios as well.
    Especially in corporate environments , where changing hardware can affect performance in some levels and thus change is done when it may hurt the least for the business.

I personally believe this will be addressed within April along with the Q coming out, the smtp out problem in emails getting fixed and the coding error on pop up mail.

But let's be honest, people do not have to be BlackBerry believers on spending their money, be it enterprises or individuals for that matter. Email handling is one of the core features of a mobile and a renown one for BlackBerry, so I think it is a big loss what is happening with all these issues.

Just my assessment and p.o.

Posted via CB10
    nycspaces. likes this.
    04-01-13 09:56 AM
    30 Days Limitation!!!! I showed them the workarounds and they said you can't be looking up things while you're in court, or hearings!
    we're talking about 1500 Z10s!
    I would think that for 1500 devices, you will have some kind of management ...
    Once you have BES 10, you can keep your email on the device for an unlimited number of days ... if so configured ... see below
    Attachment 146209
    04-01-13 10:45 AM
    It is a bit amazing that people see only what they want to see when they read.

There are really very few that have said that there should' t be an option to save longer than 30 days. All some are saying is that as it us now there is options that work, albeit not the way some would like, and if people want the option to save longer than 30 days then go ahead and ask for it.

Ya, I am an unabashed BB supporter. Don't like that? Then put me on ignore.
    "All some are saying are there is options that work"??

You said considerably more than that. Examples from the last few pages of this thread:

-"Yer company obviously has a very pi$$ poor IT depth, which may be reflective of management. I advise quitting your job."

-"If someone isn't copying their important emails and saving them in files where they are more easily accessed than searching through your phone's stored email, and not backing that file up, then they have no business being in business.”

Several others were almost as strident as you in their, "it's not a bug, it's a feature" defence of a hard limit of 30 days for email retention.

Lets just pretend though that your overnight conversion is real and you actually want to make a useful contribution to this thread instead of simply jeering.

You said:
    "I copy my important emails to a folder on my phone, then copy those files to my home computer. I didn't realize that was 'Fancy document management'. Searching my files is just as fast as searching my emails. If i have them properly named it's faster."

This interested a forum member. He asked:
    "Can you outline how you do this? Do you copy the email to an IMAP/EAS folder or do you actually copy the whole file over to another file? IMAP/EAS doesn't work past 30 days no matter what folders you put messages into."

What is your response to this question? Perhaps you can show that this 30 day limit is not an issue after all. Assume that you received 30 emails overnight. Walk us through your workflow to deal with these.
    Last edited by red stripe; 04-01-13 at 01:22 PM.
    mset likes this.
    04-01-13 10:58 AM
    I like to spend time at the cottage, and at a farm in rural Ontario ... neither location gets more than 1bar of cell service (often no signal at all) and neither location has internet. With my previous BB, I was able to get lots of work done without a laptop because I had several yrs of email stored in my phone. (ie: I could research client's previous orders). I have also attended meetings & trade shows in buildings of a major city, which have dead zones. So it will be frustrating to search information on a server when there is little/no availability of signal.

It might not be as bad if we were at least able to SAVE important msgs to the device ... i.e., plane tickets purchased 6wks prior to flight. But they can't be saved in the email folder, on the memory card, or in the remember app.

Another thought - When travelling, does all this searching occur "roaming data" charges?
    Yes, you will be using data when doing a search.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 11:00 AM
    @Briard read the thread...

I've already posted that screenshot to show, that the limitation will bee history soon.

But currently this value set won't have any effect, the devices will keep dropping mails after 30 days on all accounts including BES enabled accounts.

And therefore again: yes, it's a behaviour like we know from e.g. the S3 on EAS-accounts but the BES policy points in the direction that the problem will be solved we very soon. (There is a scenario which would explain that value in another way that won't have to do with the limitation but I think that's not the right thread to discuss this)

Posted via CB with my Z10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    04-01-13 11:08 AM

Here is a question from over a year ago on the Blackberry support forums:
    "Sorry this isn't really a support question but I was wondering if anyone knows why they maintained the maximum 30 day limit on email etc for the Playbook."

If anything, this limitation makes even less sense on a tablet as a larger device is arguably a better email machine. Blackberry has of course done nothing to address this. I was going to say not addressed for 1 year and 11 months but I just remembered that there was no native email when the Playbook was released. The promise by one of the co-CEOs to address this ridiculous omission in 60 days still stands out as one of the most legendary examples of Blackberry's inability to meet feature release dates. And this was after a specific promise from a head of the company to address a no argument glaring feature omission.

Remember that Blackberry has explicitly stated that the BB10 30 day limit is by design.

I am a PlayBook owner. I may be particularly jaded by these "coming soon" arguments as a result of this, but statements like, "That doesn't mean it will forever be like this" elicit little more than a rueful smile. OK sometimes a sardonic post as well.
    nycspaces. and blueberrymerry like this.
    04-01-13 11:24 AM
    Does anyone remember when Apple finally activated "cut and paste"? It was like a "miracle" had happened

Perhaps there is some similar ploy at play here?

Finally give it to the masses and have them "rejoice" (about a basic function one would expect to be there anyway?)

Some connection to the expensive new BES 10 system?

Non BES gets 30 days only? (Standing outside of the restaraunt noses pressed to the window)
    BES gets unlimited access?
    04-01-13 11:45 AM
    30 Days Limitation!!!! I showed them the workarounds and they said you can't be looking up things while you're in court, or hearings!

we're talking about 1500 Z10s!

I can't believe that blackberry left something like that...
    That was the exact reason I had to get rid of my verizon z10. I loved it but my IT department would not allow us to use them on our exchange server with the 30 day limit. I have to reference emails back more than a year on occasion. Hope this gets fixed soon so I can go back to it. Loved the phone otherwise.

Ps
    The other thing my IT noticed was anytime an email (exchange) was deleted on the z10 it took 15 to 20 minutes to delete on the server. Anyone else see this?
    04-01-13 11:56 AM
    Gentlemen, Blackberry is listening and it will be address in an upcoming update. This has been raised to them before.
    04-01-13 11:57 AM
    Who says they are listening? History points to them ignoring playbook users.
    04-01-13 12:05 PM
    Who says they are listening? History points to them ignoring playbook users.
    Fair enough, but time (within 6 months) will tell if they are listening.

BTW - playbook development was curtailed in order to deliver BB10.
    04-01-13 12:11 PM

Big deal. They still made promises about it.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 12:16 PM

Only 6 months? Well that seems fair. Wonder if i can get some of my money back until the deliver the full product.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-01-13 12:24 PM
    I'm nor understanding this. Cause before my Z10 I had the HTC One X, Samsung S3, and the LG Optimus G and with my work email attached to them all I could was 30 days worth of email history. This was also the case with my personal email as well. So now with my Z10 attached to the same email accounts that's all I get. I guess I don't understand why this is an issue when all of the emails are still on the server and in your personal email box for work.

Maybe you or some one can explain this to me. I really don't understand why this is such a bad thing. Why would you need email from six months back, when if it's that important you could move it or email it to yourself to put it in the 30 day history. I know I don't want any more than 30 days, I have some where near 5000 emails in my box and would not want to go through all of them on my phone.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    Neither of my androids, HTC and Samsung, have a 30-day limit. That would be a deal-breaker for me. There are many reasons to have access to older emails, and they don't clog up your phone. You simply archive older ones or create folders.
    04-01-13 12:32 PM
    Does anyone remember when Apple finally activated "cut and paste"? It was like a "miracle" had happened

Perhaps there is some similar ploy at play here?

Finally give it to the masses and have them "rejoice" (about a basic function one would expect to be there anyway?)

Some connection to the expensive new BES 10 system?

Non BES gets 30 days only? (Standing outside of the restaraunt noses pressed to the window)
    BES gets unlimited access?
    I think that's wishful thinking. Keep in mind, Apple didn't actually start targeting business users until iOS 3.0 (then iPhone OS 3.0), which brought copy/paste (FINALLY), but also brought much improved and enhanced EAS support. That support included better remote search.

Apple didn't remove a feature that existed from their old product (they didn't have an old product), that keeps in line with their philosophy of releasing relatively basic products and then filling in the gaps and releasing new features over time.

The problem here is that the ability to have more than 30 days of mail was a longstanding BBOS feature. Yeah, we can debate how important that is for most users, but it's taking a policy away from a new product and depending on the person or institution, it could be a deal breaker.

Frankly, the idea that they use this deficit as a way to try to upsell to their MDM seems silly. It's an OS limitation, not an EAS limitation. Why should the MDM solution dictate how the phone works? If anything, that would turn off any business who is considering adding BB10 to their existing Mobile Iron or other MDM setup.
    04-01-13 12:39 PM
    The other thing my IT noticed was anytime an email (exchange) was deleted on the z10 it took 15 to 20 minutes to delete on the server. Anyone else see this?
    Maybe that is because the IT set the rule to 15 Min on sync? Beside, that has nothing to do with the Z10 but EAS. And normally the IT would say "Fine" to that, because deleting a message isn't a time critical process, so it would be useless traffic and processing time if it would happen every minute.

Big companies have to deal with the threat of high server load because of the EAS usage. And i.e. iOS had some difficulties in the past because of generating an even higher load.

04-01-13 12:40 PM
    Nice discussion, anyway ;-)

But to short this: it seems to me as if the 30 day limitation will be history soon.

And that because of a simple fact: just check out the possibility of rule sets in the BES. Under Email profile you will discover, that there is the value of "No Limit" for the entry "Days to Synchronize".

At the moment, choosing this value will have no effect to overwrite the 30 day limit. But it seems as if the BES is prepared to handle the upcoming change of the limitation.

Maybe, if a company depends on that feature and the IT have done a research for an upcoming migration, they are already aware of this. Dumping the Z10 today or decide a few weeks after release wouldn't sound professional to me when it comes to the quality and reliability of the evaluatuon, IMHO.

The rule exists for a long time in EAS, "no-limit", but the device does indeed have a 30-day limit regardless. We use version Version: 6.2.0.36 on BES 10 and I do not see the rule you refer to. Are you on a different version?

This is from EAS just now and as you can see, you can go to infinity. Other choices are 1 week, 2 weeks, one month, two months etc...

04-01-13 12:58 PM
    The rule exists for a long time in EAS, "no-limit", but the device does indeed have a 30-day limit regardless. We use version Version: 6.2.0.36 on BES 10 and I do not see the rule you refer to. Are you on a different version
    We are talking about a policy on the BES where you can find the value. You need to edit the email profile on the BES to find that policy I refer to in my postings / screenshot.

04-01-13 01:39 PM
    This is normal and that will probably be the 'next big thread.' You can find threads talking about it at WPCentral.

If you implement ActiveSync just like Microsoft says to implement it, deletes don't happen instantly. There is a delay. Now a company who licenses ActiveSync can do whatever they want so that's why in the iPhone version of ActiveSync, deletes sync up right away. If you see your deletes are not instantly syncing, then BB must have implemented ActiveSync like Microsoft does on WP8. Doesn't really bug me, but it does bug people.
    04-01-13 01:52 PM
    The saddest part of this entire thread are the people defending the 30 day email limit. As if taking choice away from people is somehow "good". Sad.
    mset likes this.
    04-01-13 02:01 PM
    We are talking about a policy on the BES where you can find the value. You need to edit the email profile on the BES to find that policy I refer to in my postings / screenshot.

I looked exactly there and in the default system policy - not in either one nor in version 6.2.1.7 which we upgraded to just now. Please provide the link to your screen shot, as I could not find it when I searched, and I searched each of your 19 posts here. I have BES10 in front of me and see no such thing as you've described.

EDIT: found it on an active user profile - don't bother!
    Last edited by FBA; 04-01-13 at 05:04 PM.
    04-01-13 04:48 PM
    Neither of my androids, HTC and Samsung, have a 30-day limit. That would be a deal-breaker for me. There are many reasons to have access to older emails, and they don't clog up your phone. You simply archive older ones or create folders.

Opps. Is there a delete a post option in this cb10 app?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 04:51 PM
419 ... 1011121314 ...