Actually I hate typing on my iPhone so much I decided I should cut BB some slack.

So fug, it, I am getting one anyway.
    My company just turned down Z10 because of the 30 day email option-cw4j7ce.jpg
    03-31-13 05:22 PM
    If someone isn't copying their important emails and saving them in files where they are more easily accessed than searching through your phone's stored email, and not backing that file up, then they have no business being in business.

If people want more than 30 days then that's fine, they should be making polite requests to BlackBerry to add that ability in future updates. Not expecting BlackBerry to know the particular whims if every person on the planet.

Ya, I am an unabashed BB supporter. Don't like that? Then put me on ignore.
    03-31-13 05:39 PM
    And Android and iOS?

Posted via CB10
    Android: yes (Gmail and Gapps).
    03-31-13 05:59 PM
    Another potentially good thread ruined by juvenile bickering and provocations.
    03-31-13 06:03 PM
    If someone isn't copying their important emails and saving them in files where they are more easily accessed than searching through your phone's stored email, and not backing that file up, then they have no business being in business.
    A bit harsh, isn't it? People who run small and medium enterprises might not have the expertise or the funds needed for a fancy document management system so email is good enough for them. All we're asking is for BB to have email handling at par with BB7 instead of having it dumbed down.

I think Blackberry needs to hear about how people are using their products and how those can be improved. We users should offer constructive criticism and work together to find solutions instead of ganging up and beating the heck out of anyone who dares to say Blackberry is wrong.

Anyway, on the Playbook, IMAP and Exchange ActiveSync archive search using Messages doesn't work. I cannot search for any messages older than 30 days even though those messages exist on the server. Can any BB10 users confirm this? Looks like the only workaround is to use K9 and make an offline archive.
    RazzBerry likes this.
    03-31-13 07:39 PM
    A bit harsh, isn't it? People who run small and medium enterprises might not have the expertise or the funds needed for a fancy document management system so email is good enough for them. All we're asking is for BB to have email handling at par with BB7 instead of having it dumbed down.

I think Blackberry needs to hear about how people are using their products and how those can be improved. We users should offer constructive criticism and work together to find solutions instead of ganging up and beating the heck out of anyone who dares to say Blackberry is wrong.

Anyway, on the Playbook, IMAP and Exchange ActiveSync archive search using Messages doesn't work. I cannot search for any messages older than 30 days even though those messages exist on the server. Can any BB10 users confirm this? Looks like the only workaround is to use K9 and make an offline archive.
    I copy my important emails to a folder on my phone, then copy those files to my home computer. I didn't realize that was "Fancy document management ". Searching my files is just as fast as searching my emails. If i have them properly named it's faster.

Letting BlackBerry know you want this feature is fine, which I already said. Read through this thread though. Some are ready to burn them at the stake for not anticipating it before release, and in my opinion that's simply not fair at best, downright irrationally hateful at worst.

03-31-13 07:58 PM
    I copy my important emails to a folder on my phone, then copy those files to my home computer. I didn't realize that was "Fancy document management ". Searching my files is just as fast as searching my emails. If i have them properly named it's faster.
    The question throughout this thread has been, and remains, so what?

So what if that's the way that you choose to do things? There are innumerable individual cases and circumstances and sets of needs. You guys have been trying to tell everyone else that our way of doing things is wrong, suggesting that we're somehow less organized and our systems are less optimal and our protocols are less efficient than yours. Which is an utter load.

It's self-evidently absurd for anyone to say they can see into each individuals needs/circumstances/organizational realities/business structure and say 'my way is best for you'. That we have no business being in business. Right? Your words, right?
    03-31-13 08:20 PM

Letting BlackBerry know you want this feature is fine, which I already said. Read through this thread though. Some are ready to burn them at the stake for not anticipating it before release, and in my opinion that's simply not fair at best, downright irrationally hateful at worst.
    The obvious difficulty with your proposed solution is foretelling whether a particular email will be "important" 60, 120, or 400 days from now.

You: I've dealt with this email now. Inbox zero baby! [deletes mail]

You 90 days later: Oh man. Can't believe I deleted that email! My **** is going to be in a sling now.

Me: I've dealt with this email now. Never know though, no harm in keeping it. It won't interfere with anything. New emails are flagged as such and I can effectively ignore old emails unless I need them in the future. [does not delete]

Me 90 days later: Oh man. Good thing I can still access that email. Who would have known? My **** would have been in a sling.
    nycspaces. likes this.
    03-31-13 08:27 PM
    The question throughout this thread has been, and remains, so what?

So what if that's the way that you choose to do things? There are innumerable individual cases and circumstances and sets of needs. You guys have been trying to tell everyone else that our way of doing things is wrong, suggesting that we're somehow less organized and our systems are less optimal and our protocols are less efficient than yours. Which is an utter load.

It's self-evidently absurd for anyone to say they can see into each individuals needs/circumstances/organizational realities/business structure and say 'my way is best for you'. That we have no business being in business. Right? Your words, right?

At least, it is to most people.
    ... and it's not self- evidently absurd to think that a company should anticipate every single whimsy every individual user might have on how they are going to use every feature of a given device. Multiple people have shown that there are alternatives, so it's not like there were none.

Again, for the third time, requesting that this feature be added is fine. The more options the better.

Condemning the company for not having it already is just wrong in my opinion.

03-31-13 08:39 PM
    The obvious difficulty with your proposed solution is foretelling whether a particular email will be "important" 60, 120, or 400 days from now.

You: I've dealt with this email now. Inbox zero baby! [deletes mail]

You 90 days later: Oh man. Can't believe I deleted that email! My **** is going to be in a sling now.

Me: I've dealt with this email now. Never know though, no harm in keeping it. It won't interfere with anything. New emails are flagged as such and I can effectively ignore old emails unless I need them in the future. [does not delete]

Me 90 days later: Oh man. Good thing I can still access that email. Who would have known? My **** would have been in a sling.
    me 90, 120, 360, 1000 days later: I copied this email into a properly named folder. Along with all other emails associated with this client. There they all are, in order, and much faster to access than if I were having to search for them all in the email section of the hub.

03-31-13 08:45 PM
    Evernote sucks. Why do I need an app to do what should be native? Lame.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree that Evernote sucks ... I find it very useful. But to have to move & document every email I want to save ... t.e.d.i.o.u.s! Especially when previous bb's have been doing it for years. And calling up the client in Contact book had previous correspondence documented at the bottom of the contact info. Evernote isn't nearly that good!
    03-31-13 08:54 PM
    Can you outline how you do this? Do you copy the email to an IMAP/EAS folder or do you actually copy the whole file over to another file? IMAP/EAS doesn't work past 30 days no matter what folders you put messages into.
    03-31-13 09:16 PM
    ... and it's not self- evidently absurd to think that a company should anticipate every single whimsy every individual user might have on how they are going to use every feature of a given device. Multiple people have shown that there are alternatives, so it's not like there were none.
    5.5 million small businesses. Did you read that number earlier in the thread? Your assertion about companies vs. individual users only applies to big companies. What if the company is the individual user?? Or the company is 3 individual users? Is it 'whimsy' then?

We have no business being in business, right? Your words. Right?

My last post here, because you and your ilk are now willfully ignoring the facts, for what reason I can't fathom. I'm taking the advice in your sig.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    03-31-13 10:13 PM
    It is truly insane to try to justify 30 days. Even if mega corp IT dudes think that we should be more organized they miss the reality of why BBRY lost it's *** in the market. It wasn't big "organized corporations" that moved to better platforms, it was small business that left BBRY, then mid-sized businesses followed and now mega corporations, governments and other institutions are all opening their walls to alternate devices and as OP has stated not necessarily BBRY who used to hold a lock on these types of solutions.

The idea should be that the individual user/company/corporation, or whoever, should be able to decide for their best use-case on how long email retention should be. If your business involves short sales cycles or client relationships then 30 days might be fine. My company's typical client engagement period is about 6-9 Months and often longer. Even CMS and DM systems would not necessarily capture minute details a client might need in a time sensitive moment. If i am at my desktop, no problem, but if i am out of the office, traveling or in the field, the ability to get the smallest detail might be the difference between closing and losing a transaction. Mobile is about the ability to be agile and engage in real time, bbOS10's biggest weakness is that it gave up so many of the beautiful refinements they made over the last decade of legacy os development. It has some amazing strengths but it left a lot on the cutting room floor.
    04-01-13 12:45 AM
    Trying to re cap here, people that have had the phone since launch (that would give a 2 month span period) may be able to answer better a few questions so that we can clarify a couple of issues (I do not store email for ever in my phone as I stated before but understand that some have that need). Plus I have only had the phone for 1 month so I do not know how some features might work out of experience

So, you get your new z10. Create the accounts and sync your mailbox. You are set to go
    Scenario 1: An email comes in 1st of March. You leave it in your iinbox. Q: The email auto-deletes on March 31st?

Scenario 2: ---> You flag the email and create a remember Item. Does the email auto delete on March 31st?

Scenario 3: ---> You tap-hold and hit FILE. You file your email on a folder on your phone. On March 31st is the email autodeleted?

For the above cases, does it work the same for all types of Sync? (I guess IMAP does not do that, but do active sync and POP do the same?)

The reasoning behind my question is to verify from user experience if by filing an email directly on the phone and depending on the type of account set up, one can have access to that email past the 30 days.

One thing is 30 days back sync and another is retention of emails saved to files for longer than 30 days.

The difference resides that it is one story to not be able to sync back to the time you want as this would be "reduced annoyance" that should constitute a lesser functionality problematic as opposed to actually loosing emails filed after the 30 days period.

If filing is able to retain emails in the phone, that would mean that from the moment you get your phone set up, everything coming in from then onwards will be available until deleted manually if filed.

As I said, I personally do not use to retain email on my phone for too much time, thus I have not really bothered to confirm this. I just got this question this morning and thought that clarifying this would potentially provide a different perspective on how we evaluate the issue (at least for some users).

If filing an email can retain it until deleted by the user (same as saved emails in previous OSs) then I believe that it would be a much smoother ride for most people.

Just tested by changing the phone date further 2 months... all emails from all my 3 accounts are gone and tasks associated emails in remember as well.... posted below.

PS: thanks for re-opening the thread Branta.
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 04-01-13 at 06:46 AM.
    04-01-13 02:03 AM
    It is a bit amazing that people see only what they want to see when they read.

There are really very few that have said that there should' t be an option to save longer than 30 days. All some are saying is that as it us now there is options that work, albeit not the way some would like, and if people want the option to save longer than 30 days then go ahead and ask for it.

04-01-13 02:40 AM
    Interesting comments so far.. so much passion about this topic. I don't think anyone having a go at the 30 day limit is a BB hater. In fact, it seems to me they are really liking the z10 but to have a previously productive feature taken away felt quite let down by BB..

I work for one of the largest IT company in the world and I'm in a post-sale escalation role. I get cc on a lot of emails everyday as well as different projects i'm involved in. If I had to sort these emails and place the important bits elsewhere, i would not scale.. maybe i'm just not productive but that where i'm probably looking for a device to assist me, and not a device where I should work around its limitations (i envy you guys who have the time to do this.. at least it means you have the time to read every single email to see if it would be remotely important in the next 30 days. If I'm doing that, its already a full time job for me.)

Having said that, I do take notes on important things and I agree, it is more efficient when I need to look it up. But I think we all need to realise its not practical for everyone especially for people with huge amount of email volume. And it seems like a habit of people in large orgs.. you want to cc everyone under the sun for some weird reason.

I'm actually loving the z10 heaps.. but I do miss that ease of access to older 30 days emails.. Fully understand there are many workarounds but would like to think BB is keen in giving that feature back to people that need it in the field. Don't play catchup with the other OS, leverage what you have going great before and take it to the next level. Go BB!
    currentodysseys likes this.
    04-01-13 03:31 AM
    So as a half step towards pre sorting my emails while on the go, on iOS I have a folder system for all my accounts.

Here is how it works.

I drop "save to action later" emails into special folders I create in the 4 email accounts I operate.

Then on my mac I created a "smart mailbox" to display all of the save to action later folders PLUS any new, unread emails.

This way my 4 mail account inbox becomes my "archive" and I only need to look at the "save to action later" smart mailbox.

Of course on my mac I can dip into the archive any time.

So would this work on bb OS10 ?

Would emails in my "save to action later" sub folders get "disappeared" after 30 days? Or is moving them to sub folders a way to preserve them past the 30 day "kill" limit.

Can you access and move to server created sub folders on BB10?
    currentodysseys likes this.
    04-01-13 05:24 AM
    I can't access any email older than 30 days in my IMAP subfolders. So I guess that would not work for you.
    04-01-13 05:27 AM
    Thanks v much

But having moved it once to a nominated IMAP sub folder on the BB - does it then remain in the sub folder on the server and pc/mac after 30 days?

If so - I could live with that. (Fingers crossed) as those (30 day old) lingering ToDo emails could still alert my attention when I am at my desk.
    04-01-13 05:40 AM
    Yes they will still be available on the server.
    pandapurple likes this.
    04-01-13 05:44 AM
    I can't access any email older than 30 days in my IMAP subfolders. So I guess that would not work for you.
    Helpful dude above is saying BB accessed folder emails also suffer from the 30 day limit. So looks not to be the cure for keeping them in Remember.
    04-01-13 06:19 AM
    Yup read that as well but I do not know if the other sync methods (exchange and pop) would allow filing emails in the subforlder locally on the phone perhaps? And what about remember? I guess the same applies but just trying to make sure. I have some mails associated there already with a long - term schedule project and I would hate them to disappear on me...
    Ok... a little test drive result...

I have saved elsewhere this project. Then I changed the date forward to june 1st on my mobile....
    My past emails are gone from the phone...

The remember app just notified me that it cannot display the email.... the whole task then disappeared... = bad news...

Edit: Remote search on active sync will not return any results. I have no IMAP account set up anymore so did not try this on IMAP setup.

No matter what if the month passes, the email dies and everything associated with it also...
    IMAP, POP and active sync work the same, filing will not save anything.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Results: any planning associated with emails that has to take place further up a month than the email received date becomes useless unless the whole email body is noted some place else (like remember notes or relevant)....
    04-01-13 06:38 AM
    I just recieved an email from a client saying that he hadn't heard back from me about something he emailed me in early February thst I had actually replied to right away. I forwarded him the reply I sent on Feb 11th. That would be impossible with my Z10. And it wasn't a legal document or anything. It was just an acknowledgment to his email, ie "Sure, sounds good"
    How should I have handled this as to mske sure I have the right to be in business?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-01-13 08:11 AM
    Goodness... that's not a security feature, that's a huge bug. Emails in Remember should stay there regardless of the time limit. I really hope BB in-house developers drop by this forum and read about this. They need to fix this ASAP for the Z10, the Q10 and if/when BB10 rolls around for the Playbook.

Urgent BB10 email fixes:
    • allow for syncing longer than 30 days
    • allow searching in IMAP and EAS folders with an unlimited time limit
    • handle custom IMAP folders properly
    • handle IMAP folder mapping for Drafts, Sent, Trash etc.
    • leave stuff alone in Remember!

Using the K9 Android port is a clunky workaround, I would prefer the Messages app be made more capable.
    currentodysseys and mset like this.
    04-01-13 08:16 AM
419 ... 910111213 ...