Exactly, and still people have filled 9 pages trying to say that this is the correct way to do it/there's nothing wrong there..... I'm a long time Apple user (but just can't handle the fanboys...), but this is starting to be worst than that....

This is the only thing that is holding my from switching from Iphone 5 to Z10....
    Same thing here. Switching back to iphone 5 because of this issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 12:26 PM
    <Snip>
    Simple example from this morning (last day of the month aka bill paying day)
    -I search for Shaw cable in my email program. Email with bill amount from a week ago comes up. Hmm, seems high.
    -Poke "continue search on server". About 5 seconds later all emails from the cable company (bills from the cable company) are displayed chronologically. I open the previous month's email (35 days ago). Turns out a $30 six month promotion credit has expired.
    -Done. I know exactly why my bill is higher in less than 10 seconds. Should I have created a "project" for my cable bills? Life is too short for busy work like that.
    Congrats... Someone finally posted a legitimate personal use of keeping old emails instead of just complaining about how the the 30 day email thing is a fail.

Thanks
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    03-31-13 12:41 PM
    Guess sprint knew something about the z-10 then that we don't know.
    03-31-13 12:53 PM
    New plan.

See if BB can fix it

See if iPhone 6 has qwerty option

See if any android handset has viable qwerty model.

Make decision.
    03-31-13 12:54 PM
    Yer company obviously has a very pi$$ poor IT depth, which may be reflective of management. I advise quitting your job.

Ya, I am an unabashed BB supporter. Don't like that? Then put me on ignore.
    03-31-13 01:06 PM
    Yer company obviously has a very pi$$ poor IT depth, which may be reflective of management. I advise quitting your job.

Ya, I am an unabashed BB supporter. Don't like that? Then put me on ignore.
    Probably the most constructive comment in the whole thread. Wow!
    03-31-13 01:09 PM
    It really is nuts. If tech journalists start reporting on it Blackberry will be a laughingstock.
    How long do the competitors phones keep the Email?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 01:23 PM
    A lot longer than 30 days. Blackberry was a month too late for me with the Z10. Another iPhone wannabe!!!
    Last edited by 654321ROD; 03-31-13 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Typo
    03-31-13 01:32 PM
    How long do the competitors phones keep the Email?

Posted via CB10
    "Legacy BlackBerry os (6 and7) could save message on phone and also keep emails indefinitely on the device+ option to delete on device only or device + server. I am positive on nos6 that I used on my torch 9800 but I also am quite certain that bbos7 devices like the ones the op mentions his colleagues are holding on to, do the same
    03-31-13 01:32 PM
    So my Z10 won't search the server right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    03-31-13 01:55 PM
    Sorry dude, I'll respect your 'system'. Also I am not a fan of Evernote, (I actually perfer OneNote, but we are talking about BB). I am a fan of efficiency and being prepared. (You'll NEVER catch me looking for a six week old email at the airport ticket counter or a hotel lobby. Never. I am also open to suggestions for better ways of doing things. As far as the courtroom usage I apologize, I thought you were being serious, you don't need to humor me to make me feel better. And again, I am always open to suggestions.
    It continues to be mind-boggling that some people think they can know how I need to access email, and condescend to tell me the best way to do my work.

I'll just point out one flaw with your 'I would never need to access email older than 30 days because I have a system for organizing my documents that obviates the need'. In my business, I don't know whether I will need a particular email from last year. I am a small business/sole proprietorship and I don't have an enterprise level system for organization and, unlike you, I don't use Evernote. I also don't hold people up in line at airports. I have a system that works for me.

The bottom line is this - hundreds of thousands of people want this functionality and BBRY knows it. They have made the conscious decision to withhold it. If they change it, we'll know they made a mistake. If they don't, we'll know they feel their reasoning is still good even though they know we're clamouring for the functionality.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    03-31-13 02:00 PM
    It continues to be mind-boggling that some people think they can know how I need to access email, and condescend to tell me the best way to do my work.

I'll just point out one flaw with your 'I would never need to access email older than 30 days because I have a system for organizing my documents that obviates the need'. In my business, I don't know whether I will need a particular email from last year. I am a small business/sole proprietorship and I don't have an enterprise level system for organization and, unlike you, I don't use Evernote. I also don't hold people up in line at airports. I have a system that works for me.

The bottom line is this - hundreds of thousands of people want this functionality and BBRY knows it. They have made the conscious decision to withhold it. If they change it, we'll know they made a mistake. If they don't, we'll know they feel their reasoning is still good even though they know we're clamouring for the functionality.
    I'm actually shocked that no one had claimed this deficiency is a "feature." The thread is still young though.
    mset and currentodysseys like this.
    03-31-13 02:09 PM
    What evidence do you have of what a "huge swath" of users of theZ10 is? Is it 5 people? Is it your circle of friends? Do you even understand what BB means when they say "user experience"?
    Yes, it's 5 people.

I don't know Accenture and Lang.
    I'm not surprised, since you're not in business.

My understanding is that they are trying to offer businesses a palatable solution to the problem of employee dissatisfaction with locked down boring phones (BB Balance).
    I'm not surprised that you haven't been able to figure out what everyone including my Mom knows about BBRY's new direction - that is, what Thorsten has been saying in every interview since launch.
    nycspaces. likes this.
    03-31-13 02:09 PM
    Some of the posts in this thread have really got my blood boiling. I see why the world's economies are in a mess now, the whole 'well it's fine for me so who cares about you' mentality.

Statements like "There is no reason you should want emails older than 30 days" and "Your business is horribly disorganised and shouldn't be operating if you have to rely on emails older than 30 days" just show a complete naivety, and an unbelievably selfish and blinkered outlook on the topic. So because YOUR business might work that way, you think every other business should? There are about 5.3 million businesses with under 20 employees in the US alone. The vast majority of those cannot afford nor do they require large IT departments to implement complicated document management systems when it is sufficient to simply look at an email from 2 months ago.

The work I do involves working on around 50 projects at a time, most of which take between 3-5 months to wrap up. Oftentimes there will be a month or longer period between communications, and it is very useful to be able to look backwards through past emails to refresh my memory on the status of a project, or to look up a detail, or compare a file I've been sent with one i was sent 2 months ago. My 9900 has emails going back to November, and i now have to rely on that for work (in addition to the fact that the last update buggered up the ability to send emails from my Zed).

To those waffling on about how having email for only 30 days is not an issue and is actually a good thing, get off your high horses and look around. The world doesn't revolve around you, and every person and business is different. The world would be a very dull place if that wasn't the case.

Personally, being selfish for a minute, I bought a new phone and signed up to a contract to pay for that phone, to find that it doesn't do what I need it to do, or what I expected it to do. That's annoying. I have a 2 month old top of the range (for BlackBerry) device that has less functionality than my 18 month old Bold.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 02:17 PM
    There are about 5.3 million businesses with under 20 employees in the US alone. The vast majority of those cannot afford nor do they require large IT departments to implement complicated document management systems when it is sufficient to simply look at an email from 2 months ago.
    Excellent post. I've been trying to make the point quoted here but they just don't get it. I think I've figured out why. Even though these guys can talk the language of IT, I don't think they're actually IT pros. Most likely they're unemployable amateurs who can talk the talk but can't hold a job.
    03-31-13 02:33 PM
    30 Days Limitation!!!! I showed them the workarounds and they said you can't be looking up things while you're in court, or hearings!

we're talking about 1500 Z10s!

I can't believe that blackberry left something like that...
    well actually most phones only offer 30 days of email... you have to do a work around to keep them.... surprised your it guys didn't know that..
    03-31-13 02:40 PM
    Nice discussion, anyway ;-)

But to short this: it seems to me as if the 30 day limitation will be history soon.

And that because of a simple fact: just check out the possibility of rule sets in the BES. Under Email profile you will discover, that there is the value of "No Limit" for the entry "Days to Synchronize".

At the moment, choosing this value will have no effect to overwrite the 30 day limit. But it seems as if the BES is prepared to handle the upcoming change of the limitation.

Maybe, if a company depends on that feature and the IT have done a research for an upcoming migration, they are already aware of this. Dumping the Z10 today or decide a few weeks after release wouldn't sound professional to me when it comes to the quality and reliability of the evaluatuon, IMHO.

Posted via CB with my Z10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-31-13 02:43 PM
    Nice discussion, anyway ;-)

But to short this: it seems to me as if the 30 day limitation will be history soon.

And that because of a simple fact: just check out the possibility of rule sets in the BES. Under Email profile you will discover, that there is the value of "No Limit" for the entry "Days to Synchronize".

At the moment, choosing this value will have no effect to overwrite the 30 day limit. But it seems as if the BES is prepared to handle the upcoming change of the limitation.

Maybe, if a company depends on that feature and the IT have done a research for an upcoming migration, they are already aware of this. Dumping the Z10 today or decide a few weeks after release wouldn't sound professional to me when it comes to the quality and reliability of the evaluatuon, IMHO.

Posted via CB with my Z10
    Good point and spot on. One of the few posts that has that focus and is not trying to dismiss the needs stated. Hat off sir!
    03-31-13 03:19 PM
    well actually most phones only offer 30 days of email... you have to do a work around to keep them.... surprised your it guys didn't know that..
    On my old android I can get my Gmail as far back as I want...if I want. Where's the choice here? Who made it for me? That's just lame on too many levels.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 03:20 PM
    I'm just curious as a legal company, wouldn't security takes precedence over emails availability beyond 30 days? 1500 phones certainly is not a small company.
    03-31-13 03:25 PM
    I'm just curious as a legal company, wouldn't security takes precedence over emails availability beyond 30 days? 1500 phones certainly is not a small company.
    How do you define the security threshold for a company? What if I can find another platform that had the same security certification that BBRY has, locked down, no third party apps PLUS the email options OP's firm desires+
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-31-13 03:33 PM
    But why does having email access on a password protected Blackberry which can be used with BES, high encryption including the micro SD and with remote security features constitute a security risk? This I the same either having the email 30 or 60 days or more. Sensitive email is being received on the phone since email account is set up on the phone.

In essence there is no security issue, the only argument that could be made is relevant to reducing the amount of info and not the sensitivity or importance of the info in the phone
    03-31-13 03:40 PM
    "Legacy BlackBerry os (6 and7) could save message on phone and also keep emails indefinitely on the device+ option to delete on device only or device + server. I am positive on nos6 that I used on my torch 9800 but I also am quite certain that bbos7 devices like the ones the op mentions his colleagues are holding on to, do the same
    And Android and iOS?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 04:31 PM
    Actually I hate typing on my iPhone so much I decided I should cut BB some slack.

So fug, it, I am getting one anyway.
    03-31-13 04:46 PM
    And Android and iOS?

Posted via CB10
    I could not answer you wit certainty on that. If I am a mistaken my wife had indefinite time saved emails on her ios4 (used it for a while). On android phone was a real passer by with only about a month experience myself (galaxy s ii) so I could not attest to it. I think there are people with much more current an better experience to address that question for both of us.
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 04-01-13 at 03:05 AM.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    03-31-13 05:04 PM
419 ... 89101112 ...