AND once again .... remote server search is not working on IMAP! Complete deal breaker for private use....
    2cats1dog likes this.
    03-31-13 05:13 AM
    being aware that Exchange/Outlook is NOT intended to be a filing system and Microsoft adamantly states this ... hence their expensive tiers of corporate support because nobody follows their guidelines. imagine the stress and time cost for an administrator to work on several thousand account to migrate to newer servers or DB's overnight (when the mailbox is least accessed) to improve performance or added features of newer Exchange Servers (or for consolidation). I've personally witnessed this all just over the past 4mths. (its kinda funny to hear an Exchange Admin cursing every 30mins lol).

BES enabled BB's will have access to File Shares, SharePoint documents, corporate intranet etc. There is even a solution for Exchange server based archives for BB10 . Stop trying to insult those that are knowledgeable and offering expertise, just because it doesn't jive with your usage patterns.

on that note ... for Exchange ActiveSync users ... there maybe a solution ... more to what I've added above ...
    Listing ExchangeActiveSync users assigned to a specific ActiveSync policy � MSExchangeGuru.com

Get-CASMailbox -Filter {ActiveSyncMailboxPolicy -eq $ActiveSyncPolicyName} |ft Displayname, ActiveSyncMailboxPolicy, Servername
    I hope this helps others. Try to see if there are ActiveSync Mailbox Policies setup for various teams/groups/departments or people (executives comes to mind) and see what policies vary/differ that may show you what the limitations are.
    Last edited by Supa_Fly1; 03-31-13 at 05:24 AM. Reason: chosen not to attack anyone as that has already been discussed 3 pages back
    mkelley65 likes this.
    03-31-13 05:20 AM
    Don't know about previous BBOS, but you can save and flag. You do this by press & holding on item. A context menu then slides out...see pic below.

Attachment 145343

Posted via CB10
    You can flag emails ... but its pretty much useless. Like on iOS flagging an email only adds an icon to it.

You cannot:
    List emails by flagged only in a view - you need to endlessly scroll to find ALL flagged emails,
    You cannot set a reminder (like in outlook or previous BBOS devices) for later. If I'm not mistaken older BES connected BBOS allowed you to set reminders for recipients too (just like Outlook can)?

So to me "flag" is not enough.
    03-31-13 05:33 AM
    K, I'm seriously lost. I have emails going back more than 30 days. I also have facebook request going back to 2012. What are we talking about?
    If you've migrated from an older BB5/6.1/7 device using BES or BBLink then yes you'll have emails older than 30 days on your Z10/Q10 device. However if you activated without migration - especially on a personal ActiveSync account that is sourced cloud based (like Outlook.com) then you'll see the history of keeping emails in sync beyond 30 days. Some cannot even remote search beyond that 30 day limitation either (Outlook.com on ActiveSync setup exhibits this as well).
    03-31-13 05:35 AM
    EVERYONE .... apparantly this issue IS BY DESIGN!!

Official Documentation: KB33742

KB33742-"Days to synchronize" is set to "No Limit" but the BlackBerry 10 smartphone syncs only 30 days of information

"Days to synchronize" is set to "No Limit" but the BlackBerry 10 smartphone syncs only 30 days of information

Environment:
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10
    BlackBerry Device Service 6.2
    BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.0.9.2372
    DT 6609882
    DT 6600423

Overview:
    When Days to synchronize is set to No Limit in the BlackBerry Device Service Email profile settings, only 30 days of email syncs to the smartphone and the BlackBerry 10 smartphone shows Sync Timeframe as 30 days.

Note: An attempt to setup a Microsoft ActiveSync account on the smartphone without a connection to the BlackBerry Device Service also results in the same behavior.

Cause:
    This is currently by design on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Workaround:
    Attempt a remote search to retrieve older emails.

Last Modified: 03-21-2013

Please note the OS version of the device. This pertains to BES10 connected devices, so I stand by my previous two posts regarding ActiveSync settings via Exchange Management Shell. I'll try to digg-up more info if I can.
    03-31-13 06:11 AM
    ^ That doesn't sound right at all - I'll have to read this thread beyond the first page but some things come to mind:

1. Did they only consider ActiveSync for use?
    2. Did they try only with Mobile Fusion or get some free trial CALs to test with BES10 being implemented?
    3. Did they look to see if this option was changeable by default being on BES10 or even enabled via a particular IT Policy?!
    4. Did the IT Director look if there is a solution on blackberry.com/btsc site or contact their RIM representative directly?

Without all of these stated as being exhausted I call a) bull or b) uninformed and biased decision Process"

EDIT: Send a note to their exchange administrator - find out if on Exchange 2010 and see these two articles ...

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...xchg.141).aspx

of particular
    This is a great example on perspective, thank you for the info. It is what I was trying to point out but had no particular knowledge to illustrate: one thing is to provide possible aspects to be checked over (not workarounds but rather features that totaly change the phone behavior due to different setup: e.g BES Where I have no specific knowledge of features as I stated) and another is to advocate trying to impose that the need to access more than thirty days email is not needed for their business).

The logic of the above post is to check how the BB10 deals officially through parameters, with the issue of covering that need vs what other people try to do which is convince a company or user that the feature they need (over 30 days long emails access on their phone) is something unusual or silly or disorganized.

Thanks Supa_Fly1 both for the perspective as well as for the info and links.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 06:20 AM
    [QUOTE=Supa_Fly1;8231436]EVERYONE .... apparantly this issue IS BY DESIGN!!

[/ quote]

Yes it is by design but it is the dumbest design ever. A lot of us have been complaining since the playbook came out and yet RIM can't resolve it after 2 years.

Posted via CB10
    blueberrymerry and JeepBB like this.
    03-31-13 06:44 AM
    I've never been in a courthouse that allowed cell phones with cameras.
    The silly thing is someone tried to use a court room example (and a rather poor one at that) as to why you need to have 10,000 emails from the past seven years on our phone. I was just debunking it.

There better ways of doing things, like creating a project X notebook in Evernote and then saving everything about that project to that notebook.

I think some people aren't happy unless they are whining.
    bungaboy and Omnitech like this.
    03-31-13 07:16 AM
    The silly thing is someone tried to use a court room example (and a rather poor one at that) as to why you need to have 10,000 emails from the past seven years on our phone. I was just debunking it.

There better ways of doing things, like creating a project X notebook in Evernote and then saving everything about that project to that notebook.

You can't handle the fact which proves that the feature is missing period... no argument there... Just because you you're an evernote fan, doesn't mean that people should be using it. again it's called personal preference. I can't just tell you go buy a BMW just because i'm driving one.. Finally, Court room example was brought up. Sorry I couldn't come up with a better example to make you feel better....
    03-31-13 07:37 AM
    30 Days Limitation!!!! I showed them the workarounds and they said you can't be looking up things while you're in court, or hearings!

we're talking about 1500 Z10s!

I can't believe that blackberry left something like that...
    I thought that this wasn't an issue if you're using a BES 10 Server?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 07:40 AM
    You can't handle the fact which proves that the feature is missing period... no argument there... Just because you you're an evernote fan, doesn't mean that people should be using it. again it's called personal preference. I can't just tell you go buy a BMW just because i'm driving one.. Finally, Court room example was brought up. Sorry I couldn't come up with a better example to make you feel better....
    Sorry dude, I'll respect your 'system'. Also I am not a fan of Evernote, (I actually perfer OneNote, but we are talking about BB). I am a fan of efficiency and being prepared. (You'll NEVER catch me looking for a six week old email at the airport ticket counter or a hotel lobby. Never. I am also open to suggestions for better ways of doing things. As far as the courtroom usage I apologize, I thought you were being serious, you don't need to humor me to make me feel better. And again, I am always open to suggestions.
    03-31-13 08:08 AM
    You can flag emails ... but its pretty much useless. Like on iOS flagging an email only adds an icon to it.

You cannot:
    List emails by flagged only in a view - you need to endlessly scroll to find ALL flagged emails,
    You cannot set a reminder (like in outlook or previous BBOS devices) for later. If I'm not mistaken older BES connected BBOS allowed you to set reminders for recipients too (just like Outlook can)?

So to me "flag" is not enough.
    Flagged emails go to your Remember folder so they can all be found in one place. Don't know if this helps or not.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-31-13 08:14 AM
    Sorry dude, I'll respect your 'system'. Also I am not a fan of Evernote, (I actually perfer OneNote, but we are talking about BB). I am a fan of efficiency and being prepared. (You'll NEVER catch me looking for a six week old email at the airport ticket counter or a hotel lobby. Never. I am also open to suggestions for better ways of doing things. As far as the courtroom usage I apologize, I thought you were being serious, you don't need to humor me to make me feel better. And again, I am always open to suggestions.

I introduced the Z10 to IT.. they love the phone, and I don't like keep emails on my phone, OWA is enough for me,but some users find it hard to change ,when it comes down to technology... the problem is that their old devices do what they want, so they find it strange to see a newer device with less capabilities. I can explain the Z10 features from now till tmrw, but it won't click because they want it done their way.. you know what I meam?
    03-31-13 08:23 AM
    I thought that this wasn't an issue if you're using a BES 10 Server?

Posted via CB10
    Nope, it's the same issue there as well.
    03-31-13 08:24 AM
    It's fascinating how completely a few guys in here are missing the point. Citing ISO standards has exactly nothing to do with the user experience of a huge mixed swath of Z10 users - personal and small business users.
    What evidence do you have of what a "huge swath" of users of theZ10 is? Is it 5 people? Is it your circle of friends? Do you even understand what BB means when they say "user experience"?

1. Small business/sole proprietorship doesn't have dedicated 'records management and document retention' protocols or expensive software to perform such functions. Yes, we understand that Accenture and Lang Michener should have these things. In fact they probably do.
    I don't know Accenture and Lang. I do know most large corporations, institutions and government agencies, you know, the ones that order 2000 or more smartphones at a go, have a records management policy that pays at least lip servce to world standards. This is not a market to ignore or trifle with. The small business market is big too but do most of the owners go with premium devices or with what works for them at a price that works for them? Not sure if that is a target demographic for the Z10 at this time

2. What is BBRY's overriding plan with their new phones? To take personal user market share from Apple and Samsung. To do this, they have to provide functionality that people have become used to. Gmail has caused a situation in which people use their Gmail account as a Document Management system. What's the rationale behind depriving people of this?
    My, my, we are _so_ knowledgeable about BB's marketing strategy. My understanding is that they are trying to offer businesses a palatable solution to the problem of employee dissatisfaction with locked down boring phones (BB Balance). The Z10 starts to address that but without the app count the competitors have, significant penetration into the consumer market in and of itself will have to wait for a more even app count. This one want alone is a deal breaker for the vast majority of those owning competing products and there is nothing BB can do other than provide incentives,
    supports and encouragement to the app development community.

3. The fact that they're allegedly fixing this flaw later this year tells you what you need to know. Lets see if that means 'later this year' in the Playbook sense, i.e. maybe next year.
    You might think a 30 day limit is a flaw. I have no doubt this was done by design, probably with IT administrators in mind to reduce bandwidth usage as a proxy to limiting mailbox sizes. The fact they are changing this limit is no admission to having a flaw, just that they might have not considered that consumers and the cluttered might have other priorities.

Administrators can and do put a lock on mailbox sizes by putting a limit on individual accounts. I don't know an easy and elegant way of doing that over multiple email and social media accounts all being synchronised on a single phone. Maybe BB will come up with an administrator option to put that limit in place while leaving consumers the option of throwing their own personal money away to service providers.
    03-31-13 09:00 AM
    Just because people have the ability to do it, doesn't make it the right way or the best way to do things.
    Awesome cop out.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 09:47 AM

Evernote sucks. Why do I need an app to do what should be native? Lame.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 09:49 AM
    felt it yesterday at the airport. Needed to pull out my ticket at airline check in counter. It was sent some six weeks ago. Could not on my Z10. Needed to pull out my Samsung S2. Very embarrassing...

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry travel would have helped you out here.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 09:54 AM
    Awesome cop out.

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't a cop out.

Evernote sucks. Why do I need an app to do what should be native? Lame.

Posted via CB10
    What exactly do you want to do ? Keep 10,000 emails on your phone so that you can search through them while waiting at a drive through window ? I mean come on. So I have three to five emails out of a 1,000 that pertains to a project. If I need to reference them I search through a 1,000 emails to find them, or I open a folder with the projects name, and bam, there they are, along with anything else (CAD files, code, material list, price quotes...) relevant to the project. I am personally open to a better way of doing things...
    03-31-13 10:12 AM
    Seems to me that for those with the specific need of a powerful mail handling phone should go with a BBOS 7.1 based phone.

The Bold 9900 comes to mind. I was only able to switch because the email handling isn't critical to my usage pattern.

Now, I would have been more comfortable to have all of the old powers, but.....

Maybe we will see the functionality added into BB10 within future releases.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 11:43 AM
    What exactly do you want to do ? Keep 10,000 emails on your phone so that you can search through them while waiting at a drive through window ? I mean come on. So I have three to five emails out of a 1,000 that pertains to a project. If I need to reference them I search through a 1,000 emails to find them, or I open a folder with the projects name, and bam, there they are, along with anything else (CAD files, code, material list, price quotes...) relevant to the project. I am personally open to a better way of doing things...
    Please just stop. There are many people with legitimate reasons to access emails older than 30 days. This limitation will hurt Z10 adoption.
    Expecting people to spent the time creating "projects" etc to contain every email that they could potentially need access to in the future is ridiculous.

Simple example from this morning (last day of the month aka bill paying day)
    -I search for Shaw cable in my email program. Email with bill amount from a week ago comes up. Hmm, seems high.
    -Poke "continue search on server". About 5 seconds later all emails from the cable company (bills from the cable company) are displayed chronologically. I open the previous month's email (35 days ago). Turns out a $30 six month promotion credit has expired.
    -Done. I know exactly why my bill is higher in less than 10 seconds. Should I have created a "project" for my cable bills? Life is too short for busy work like that.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-31-13 11:44 AM
    Please just stop. There are many people with legitimate reasons to access emails older than 30 days. This limitation will hurt Z10 adoption.
    Expecting people to spent the time creating "projects" etc to contain every email that they could potentially need access to in the future is ridiculous.
    Totally agree
    pgodden likes this.
    03-31-13 11:58 AM
    It really is nuts. If tech journalists start reporting on it Blackberry will be a laughingstock.
    03-31-13 12:00 PM
    It really is nuts. If tech journalists start reporting on it Blackberry will be a laughingstock.
    Exactly, and still people have filled 9 pages trying to say that this is the correct way to do it/there's nothing wrong there..... I'm a long time Apple user (but just can't handle the fanboys...), but this is starting to be worst than that....

This is the only thing that is holding my from switching from Iphone 5 to Z10....
    03-31-13 12:07 PM
    What evidence do you have of what a "huge swath" of users of theZ10 is? Is it 5 people? Is it your circle of friends? Do you even understand what BB means when they say "user experience"?

I don't know Accenture and Lang. I do know most large corporations, institutions and government agencies, you know, the ones that order 2000 or more smartphones at a go, have a records management policy that pays at least lip servce to world standards. This is not a market to ignore or trifle with. The small business market is big too but do most of the owners go with premium devices or with what works for them at a price that works for them? Not sure if that is a target demographic for the Z10 at this time

My, my, we are _so_ knowledgeable about BB's marketing strategy. My understanding is that they are trying to offer businesses a palatable solution to the problem of employee dissatisfaction with locked down boring phones (BB Balance). The Z10 starts to address that but without the app count the competitors have, significant penetration into the consumer market in and of itself will have to wait for a more even app count. This one want alone is a deal breaker for the vast majority of those owning competing products and there is nothing BB can do other than provide incentives,
    supports and encouragement to the app development community.

You might think a 30 day limit is a flaw. I have no doubt this was done by design, probably with IT administrators in mind to reduce bandwidth usage as a proxy to limiting mailbox sizes. The fact they are changing this limit is no admission to having a flaw, just that they might have not considered that consumers and the cluttered might have other priorities.

Administrators can and do put a lock on mailbox sizes by putting a limit on individual accounts. I don't know an easy and elegant way of doing that over multiple email and social media accounts all being synchronised on a single phone. Maybe BB will come up with an administrator option to put that limit in place while leaving consumers the option of throwing their own personal money away to service providers.
    Combining your two posts creates the impression that your opinion could be translated to: "If IT says the 30 day limit is a flaw they do not know what they are talking about, those people and/or companies are disorganised and they are not good enough for BlackBerry".

Also you counter - argue people saying "My, my, we are _so_ knowledgeable about BB's marketing strategy."
    when you in your first post you stated: "It could very well be that BB took into account best practices when they designed the Z10. Obviously, not everyone is into best practices", so you know about the design decision making factors that conditioned the OS and UI features as opposed to others not knowing anything about BB marketing?

I am sorry, I do not intend to light up any fire here but you keep on a line of argument that is at least of double standard. If you want your opinions to be considered you might as well consider those of others when apparently neither you or any of us that posted that far in this thread are participants on bb strategic planing and execution.

Also you insinuate that the companies of 2000 or more phones purchases are more important compared to the rest of the user base (the individual users globally) that clearly stated by blackberry are their target group in expanding their demographics? I would say they both play crucial role, while corporate is a market to maintain and grow and the individual users are the new market the Z10 is looking to expand into... that would contradict your statement based on strategic goals as clearly expressed by blackberry in my understanding.

You also have not answered my comment on ISO but rather choose to continue on the argument by answering on other people's posts.

as a last ISO relevant note: you do know that many sectors, like for instance Marketing Studies and research, have their own sector-specific ISO regulations right? According to those, any file that is not part of the record process should not be stored in the relevant common access server designated folders, for in audition, files that interrupt the process and create excess of unnecessary information are considered negative towards compliance with the ISO standards in some cases according to some auditors.

So even if I accept your scenario as universal (which I do not), again there is no explanation on how the 30 day limit serves the need to mobile computing storage of emails that need not be included in the official record as it is set by the ISO standards, while people might still need them in order to perform their tasks and use them as reference, then, after that time they may, and should delete this kinds of files. That may obviously take more than 30 days. The only alternative I can figure is "store it in your PC outlook". Well I use a laptop to work. So, If I store it in the lap top that is not always with me (as opposed to my mobile) when I travel and stay in hotels, I would say it constitutes more of a possible security issue.

I for one do not store email for too long on my phone anyway, but the point is some people do and the more the Z10 brings "mobile computing" culture (as per Thorsten Heins this is the direction), the more it should be able to substitute a lap top computer imo.
    03-31-13 12:12 PM
419 ... 7891011 ...