I wonder if this is where BBRY is going with future revenue streams.

Reintroduce BIS for business services. Thereby allowing for many of the old expected behaviours in handling correspondence.

Maybe even introduce collaboration services akin to SharePoint, but 'in the cloud.'

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    03-30-13 12:29 PM
    K, I'm seriously lost. I have emails going back more than 30 days. I also have facebook request going back to 2012. What are we talking about?
    That's a good point. So do I. I'm now confused too?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 12:32 PM
    If you are in a position of influence, you need to go in there and test Lumia's keyboard. IT also won't want to make a decision that would get a barage of criticism from the business users.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 has a better keyboard... But don't construe it to mean the 920 doesn't have a very good keyboard.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-30-13 12:55 PM
    I'm simply puzzled by BlackBerry choosing to have a 30 day limit. I really hope it will be resolved in the new OS release.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 01:00 PM
    Wtf? I can remote search if I need to.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 01:06 PM
    I have Windows Live emails from February 10th on my Z10, so I am not sure what the 30 day rule applies to.

A little confused here.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 01:32 PM
    You don't need to be a lawyer to require past 30 days history. There are a number of times I have to follow up with a client or coworker and want to send the original email along with it. Ie "Jim I sent you this 2 months ago and I don't see that it's been done yet" or other times when a manager has emailed me asking if I've handled something or heard from someone about something so I need to forward him a copy of the email.
    JeepBB and tlegend2012 like this.
    03-30-13 01:39 PM
    All of the self centered fools saying 30 days is fine must be the most useless people in their organization. <snip>
    Actually, we are the most efficient, effective, and useful people in our organizations. We are more organized.

Oh ya. First thing I think of as I'm walking into the office each day.

Posted via CB10
    I want to freshen my coffee.

Depends on your version of Exchange. Many people refuse to upgrade and are still on legacy Exchange systems. Search will not work on versions prior to MS Exchange 2007. The current version is MS Exchange 2013. I also suspect many of those Exchange 2003 systems are running on 2003 era hardware. No way I'd trust something so vital to 10 year old equipment.
    But will it run on NT 3.51 ???
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-30-13 01:52 PM
    We use MS Exchange 2007 at work. Although I have the option of searching on the server using my Z10, it only returns mail within the last 30 days. Curiously my outlook.com account does not give me the option of searching on the server.

I guess I should check my settings but it's too nice a day and I'm off to find a golf course

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 02:02 PM
    its set to sync every 15min but its been four hours and none of my emails have gone threw to my phone...does it not deliver over wifi? I love the phone and will stick it out but its slowing me down email wise to a dead hault.
    It would depend on the WiFi network. Yes, it does work if the ports aren't restricted, like your home WiFi or over at a friend's place. But public wifi is usually restricted EG. My local pub has free wifi but I can't send/receive using their network because they've limited access (which I understand). And that would be true of all phone OSes. The only way around it would be to use webmail through the browser.

If you're having trouble on a home network and you haven't restricted access, then it's a settings issue, either on your phone or through the router.
    03-30-13 02:16 PM
    Just curious, does this limitation also apply to users who will be on BES 10?

Posted via CB10
    My understanding is that with BES 10 you can search on server right now (as was told to me by another user on this forum many weeks ago, but I can't verify it personally). This issue has come up several times, and hopefully will be fully addressed in the much anticipated 10.1 update. It must come down to performance issues with the OS at the moment if you have a huge amount of email. I agree with everyone who says it needs to be addressed.

If it's a performance concern (like not allowing more than 8 active frames), then at a minimum you should be able to continue to search on server like I was able to do on my iPhone 4S. I think that would go a long way to addressing concerns.
    03-30-13 02:31 PM
    what I find surprising is that some people think that everything is debateable... Some things are not debatable, I mean we can discuss all we want about them but we cannot debate with a buyer, be it a company or individual, to as x or y should not constitute a decisive factor of purchase, this is crazy imo.

As long as people have their facts right and decide for or against z10 (or whatever product or service for that matter, i do not understand why some people keep on insisting that they are "wrong" "this is not an issue" etc....

To put it simple: when you buy a car you do not give a "*^$&*(" of what people tell you. When you have a business you calculate and study your investments and tools (and do that well when you have a successful business). So if a company that is about to invest on 1500 phones (that is approx 90.000USD in hardware alone mind you...), I think that their IT has studied their options carefully and if something is a no-no for them, then it is a no, end of story.

The only one that should be thinking twice about this no is BlackBerry if they want to sell to that client or if they have more clients pointing out the same issue as not suitable deciding factor. It is the right of the client to choose based on their criteria of investing and tools for their business. If this is crucial for them and bb cannot or will not give it (in time, this also is a factor that many people disregard its importance), these clients might go the other way and find alternative solutions. That simple.

So, when it is something that simple as bringing back a feature that is truly no sweat for BB and was there in previous OSs, I find it the least an unreasonable cause of loosing clients from the corporate segment that they so much try to win (and corporate segment is not only those that use BES).
    03-30-13 03:05 PM
    I won't pretend to justify why BB limited e-mail storage on a BB10 smartphone to 30 days.
    but then you go on to do exactly that.

Iwould not consider those who are organised to be "fools" if they don't see a need to keep a smartphone cluttered with mostly old and useless data that would inevitably downgrade device performance.
    yes, you know that email over 30 days in age in every email account belonging to every personal user and every business user in every organization in every country on the planet is 'mostly old and useless data'.

The Internet should be called the 'stupidity revealer'.
    JeepBB and Moonbase0ne like this.
    03-30-13 03:27 PM
    Corporate record keeping _should_ be subject to a records management and document retention policy. This is covered in the rules to the International Standards Organization and overarching policy is contained in ISO 9001-4.2.4.

Though not specific about retention times, it does require businesses to identify important documentation as it related to their business and develop a management system for keeping valuable records and for disposal of items deemed no longer relevant.

In my own organisation, there was a set policy that any e-mail of importance has to be filed in the document management record system. It then becomes available to all those with the necessary permissions to access it and becomes an official document for purposes of investigations or the access to information act to which we were subject. Sensitive and important material could not be kept on personal devices and such e-mails had to be encrypted on official devices. Retaining large numbers of old e-mails was actively discouraged especially since that data was replicated over a number of accounts resulting in excessively large data storage requirements. If an e-mail was important, it had to be stored in one place only, the DRM system. For other documents important to me such as travel information and scan codes for tickets, I made a PDF file and made sure I could get at it quickly - not standing at a check-in counter or e-ticket kiosk with a bunch of people waiting impatiently behind me while I searched old e-mails.

In reviewing the matter on the internet, I note many important organisations have a set policy on document retention and disposal. This is not BB fanboyiism, this is guidance driven by best practices internationally. It could very well be that BB took into account best practices when they designed the Z10. Obviously, not everyone is into best practices, so BB will implement the minor change in their e-mail software to go beyond 30 day retention on the phone.

Again, any business so disorganised as to not bother with a decent records management system other than holding on to thousands of e-mails on employees' phones cannot be very effective at what they do. Sort of reminds me of the shoebox accounting system for small businesses with a high-tech solution for management of the shoebox.

If individuals like to keep all their old personal e-mails on a phone, it is their choice. I don't think that was the primary focus of BB though. Their published marketing material focuses on people on the move who need to be kept up to date, not as as a solution to the cluttered.
    03-30-13 04:10 PM
    My understanding is that with BES 10 you can search on server right now (as was told to me by another user on this forum many weeks ago, but I can't verify it personally). This issue has come up several times, and hopefully will be fully addressed in the much anticipated 10.1 update. It must come down to performance issues with the OS at the moment if you have a huge amount of email. I agree with everyone who says it needs to be addressed.

If it's a performance concern (like not allowing more than 8 active frames), then at a minimum you should be able to continue to search on server like I was able to do on my iPhone 4S. I think that would go a long way to addressing concerns.
    EAS allows for remote search on server; you don't need BES10 for that.
    03-30-13 04:12 PM
    My company allowed the phone since there is ''remote search'' facility.
    03-30-13 04:12 PM
    A smart phone has the ability to access ancient docs. Retaining ancient email is counter productive, storage intensive, and not cost efficient. At the year old point it should be common knowledge or retained as a shared doc for the good of all. Of course users sometimes have to be dragged kicking and screaming into more efficient forms of working.
    What a silly argument. That suggests that all email use fits your notion of how mail and content should be used and managed. In complex business settings that rely on email extensively, 30 days is a limitation and deficient for those that need to look back at communications. I regularly search back through my mail for a variety of things. I want it local and indexed.

People should not question another users frustration around something that they feel is required to meet their needs. Being high and mighty about the way other systems should make up for it or the way you see things is just arrogant.
    mset and Moonbase0ne like this.
    03-30-13 04:26 PM
    Just curious, does this limitation also apply to users who will be on BES 10?

Posted via CB10
    yes same issue on BES even with unlimited setting. Your device keeps a rolling 30 days of data.
    03-30-13 04:29 PM
    Why are some people now downplaying the importance of email? Documents are merely a small part of email.
    h20work likes this.
    03-30-13 05:05 PM
    I have Windows Live emails from February 10th on my Z10, so I am not sure what the 30 day rule applies to.

A little confused here.

Posted via CB10

with Exchange, you can't retain more than 30 days..
    03-30-13 05:13 PM
    My initial reply was not about personal preferences. In fact I avoided the previous discussions when it came to individuals. It was about the OP stating it was corporate decision. It perplexes me why a company looking to deploy 1500 devices as he stated does not have a viable CRM system that can be accessed by a smart phone. A company that size relying on email for document retention? I don't get it.

We're not talking about Docs. We are talking about emails! .. some users don't want to switch from bolds, to Z10. Bold is too slow compared to Z10, but it will get the job done. Got it?
    03-30-13 05:18 PM
    Yeah, the 30 day thing should change and there are already work-arounds. It's odd, but doesn't take a lot of effort.

I think you should be alarmed that your IT department is making a poor choice. Security should be the priority for a responsible law firm. On your phones you will be carrying around information that is private and important to your clients. With Android and even Apple, you are exposing yourself to easy malware attacks. BB10 offers the best in terms of security without exception. It's already good enough for the German government, and it will be the only front wave smartphone once it inevitably achieves British security clearance.

Call your IT department as soon as possible and tell them to rethink their priorities. Professionalism and security should be at the top. It sounds to me like those geeks need a good kick in app.
    03-30-13 05:19 PM
    So, any answers for this question?

And I have to agree with rkelly65. Valid reason there...
    windows and some will be using old bolds.
    03-30-13 05:23 PM
    what I find surprising is that some people think that everything is debateable... Some things are not debatable, I mean we can discuss all we want about them but we cannot debate with a buyer, be it a company or individual, to as x or y should not constitute a decisive factor of purchase, this is crazy imo.

As long as people have their facts right and decide for or against z10 (or whatever product or service for that matter, i do not understand why some people keep on insisting that they are "wrong" "this is not an issue" etc....
    The problem is, everyone thinks that they are an expert, and they are not. Sometimes you need to listen to what the 'real' experts have to say, listen to their ideas, maybe even change your antiquated ways.

To put it simple: when you buy a car you do not give a "*^$&*(" of what people tell you.
    So when a gentleman who is a big wig for an automotive company, that lives down the street, tells you that you really don't want to buy a certain model that they make, it would behoove of you to listen. (I am glad I did.)

When you have a business you calculate and study your investments and tools (and do that well when you have a successful business). So if a company that is about to invest on 1500 phones (that is approx 90.000USD in hardware alone mind you...), I think that their IT has studied their options carefully and if something is a no-no for them, then it is a no, end of story.

The only one that should be thinking twice about this no is BlackBerry if they want to sell to that client or if they have more clients pointing out the same issue as not suitable deciding factor. It is the right of the client to choose based on their criteria of investing and tools for their business. If this is crucial for them and bb cannot or will not give it (in time, this also is a factor that many people disregard its importance), these clients might go the other way and find alternative solutions. That simple.

So, when it is something that simple as bringing back a feature that is truly no sweat for BB and was there in previous OSs, I find it the least an unreasonable cause of loosing clients from the corporate segment that they so much try to win (and corporate segment is not only those that use BES).
    Again there are thousands of IT 'experts' that can't find their *** with both hands. They make suggestions and decisions based on their own personal biases. I know, I deal with them on a monthly bases. I am not saying all IT people are like this, but there are quite a few of them out there. Sometimes (like I do) you need to listen to the manufacture's reps.

Besides if something is important, send it to a OneNote, oops sorry, we are talking about BB, make that an Evernote notebook, no more searching through a 1000 emails looking for something. A notebook for every project. One for your electronic receipts. It's 2013, not 1993. Get with the program people.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    03-30-13 05:24 PM
    We're not talking about Docs. We are talking about emails! .. some users don't want to switch from bolds, to Z10. Bold is too slow compared to Z10, but it will get the job done. Got it?
    Some people are trapped in the 90's. Got it ? I say we rescue them and bring them into 2013.
    03-30-13 05:27 PM
419 ... 56789 ...