I thought this was a huge issue as well but having had my device since Jan 30th, I've yet to come across a point in time in which I needed to make use of anything beyond the allowed limit. I'm sure it will come eventually but as of now, it hasn't been an issue.
    dresz likes this.
    03-29-13 11:15 PM
    The issue is not that the phone can't handle a months worth of email or beyond its that upon setup, you can't have a history of more than a month of emails. No one here has said one thing about the phone not being able to have more than a month of email in the future. It about history. I for one was not clear on this so I asked instead of giving an opinion of what others have said. But I guess that some of do read many post before deciding to start typing in the box.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    I appreciate your response. I did read the whole thread before replying but since your last statement is implying that I did otherwise, kindly explain the problem and why you think tlegend2012's IT department said no to getting Blackberry's. He also did mention that there is a workaround but the IT department didn't buy it. So from what I see, (1) 30-day HISTORY limit should be addressed by Blackberry as this same issue can be a deal-breaker for other corporate customers (not PERSONAL consumers) and (2) all OUR personal opinions about this limitation and offering workarounds such as sideloading apps obviously do not matter to that IT department.

I am just trying to focus on what Blackberry may do to retain and add corporate customers. All the personal opinions and workarounds are valid for us but, in this thread, not valid to tlegend2012's IT dept and possibly to other corporate customers.
    h20work likes this.
    03-29-13 11:17 PM
    I agree with the IT department, (was a CIO). If 30 + it is a requirement for your job, work arounds will not work for such a large roll out (not all users can deal with them). They need to have it work, before they let people use it for work.

When BB gets it working they should reconsider the z10.
    pandapurple and h20work like this.
    03-29-13 11:20 PM
    I set up my Z10 to only sync 7 days on the device and then use remote search for anything older. While I recognize that remote search is not available for IMAP accounts, it works great with EAS. In fact, I can search back months.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 11:24 PM
    Can you save/flag individual emails like you could on the old bbos?
    03-29-13 11:26 PM
    I own a retail clothing store (no IT) and get 25 to 50+ emails a day depending which day, and have experienced this problem. My work around was adding gmail to my home screen and saving my info in the browser. And I can load any amount of email I choose.

My company just turned down Z10 because of the 30 day email option-img_00000226.png

My company just turned down Z10 because of the 30 day email option-air_20130329_00000.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-29-13 11:48 PM
    I have to agree that 30 limit is very silly. Numerous reasons and workarounds have been given in this thread and I can feel a lot of passion by every supportors here.. but personally its plan silly..

Yea, we can pdf or screen shot.. but wasn't the whole idea of blackberry been very efficient and productive? Isn't that's the key advantage people look for when buying a blackberry. (its definitely true for me own a 9700, 9900 and now a z10).

No reason you need to keep emails over 30 days? For some users, I agree.. but lets keep an open mind that a lot of other users do need that.. and it's not even one of those corner case scenarios..

I like this forum.. been reading heaps about it.. lots of very helpful people assisting each other.. but lately, the tones seems to be very defensive.. its becoming like just another apple forums.. hope we can all accept the z10 is not the best phone in the world, I brought it because it does suit me the best..

Posted via CB10
    h20work and JeepBB like this.
    03-30-13 12:08 AM
    Blackberry: "We don't want Tools, we want work around(s) for the tools".....
    ...The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, is a work around a straight line?
    ...I'm always looking at emails over 30 days old on my 9930.
    ...Perhaps they believed if side loading apps was 'ok' then work around(s) so you can work would also be ok?

Last edited by pythons; 03-30-13 at 01:04 AM.
    niss63 and sonicwheeler like this.
    03-30-13 12:16 AM
    Interesting...

Would you mind sharing with the classroom what phone they've chosen to go with instead?

30 Days Limitation!!!! I showed them the workarounds and they said you can't be looking up things while you're in court, or hearings!

we're talking about 1500 Z10s!

I can't believe that blackberry left something like that...
    03-30-13 12:30 AM
    Blackberry has made it's official statement on the matter of only 30 days of email...
    ...And that statement IS:
    ..."This is currently by design on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone."

KB33742-"Days to synchronize" is set to "No Limit" but the BlackBerry 10 smartphone syncs only 30 days of information

I've very glad I noticed this thread.....
    ...If this isn't solved by the release of the Q10 that will be a deal breaker for me.
    pandapurple likes this.
    03-30-13 12:44 AM
    30 Days Limitation!!!! I showed them the workarounds and they said you can't be looking up things while you're in court, or hearings!

we're talking about 1500 Z10s!

I can't believe that blackberry left something like that...
    I have seen post after post lamenting the lack of more than 30 days of email retention. I never felt the need to respond because it was always individuals. Now someone is claiming it's a corporate decision. I have to weigh in here. If there is documentation field reps need to keep up on orders, history, or accounts, the LAST place you want your archives and information stored is email. Where is your document management and retention system? Where is your CRM? This is not the job of any mobile platform. This is not the job of any email server. There is a reason there are CRM and document management systems. Email is just a communications medium, not document management and retention. Microsoft Sharepoint is but one of many solutions. Google Docs is another of many alternatives.

If an email is 4 days old it's old news to me. If it was important it's retained in other more manageable mediums.
    03-30-13 01:00 AM
    Blackberry has made it's official statement on the matter of only 30 days of email...
    ...And that statement IS:
    ..."This is currently by design on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone."

KB33742-"Days to synchronize" is set to "No Limit" but the BlackBerry 10 smartphone syncs only 30 days of information

I've very glad I noticed this thread.....
    ...If this isn't solved by the release of the Q10 that will be a deal breaker for me.
    It's not a bug, it's a feature.
    03-30-13 01:10 AM
    I have seen post after post lamenting the lack of more than 30 days of email retention. I never felt the need to respond because it was always individuals. Now someone is claiming it's a corporate decision. I have to weigh in here. If there is documentation field reps need to keep up on orders, history, or accounts, the LAST place you want your archives and information stored is email. Where is your document management and retention system? Where is your CRM? This is not the job of any mobile platform. This is not the job of any email server. There is a reason there are CRM and document management systems. Email is just a communications medium, not document management and retention. Microsoft Sharepoint is but one of many solutions. Google Docs is another of many alternatives.

If an email is 4 days old it's old news to me. If it was important it's retained in other more manageable mediums.
    I work in I.T. & manage both the CRM and DMS for my Company....
    ...I recall "many" old emails that fall outside of those two data management systems.
    ...In fact I did it today at the Port of Seattle, twice.

A "smartphone" needs the ability to pull email over 30 days old.....
    ...To attempt to offer apologetics otherwise is, as they say, GONG SHOW.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-30-13 01:12 AM
    It's not a bug, it's a feature.
    I get it.....
    ...Like truncated email is a "feature" of the 9930 LOL...
    ...Ahh, 'feature phone'.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-30-13 01:14 AM
    I don't see this option in my search function. Please kindly show me how this is done. Screenshots would be a real plus.
    Do a search in your email account of choice, scroll to the last result.
    It will be a "Remote search " Item.
    Select this and it will search your older email on the server.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 01:20 AM
    Smartest response yet! CRMs are very important and come into play here, NOT e-mail.

mkelley65 likes this.
    03-30-13 01:21 AM
    I work in I.T. & manage both the CRM and DMS for my Company....
    ...I recall "many" old emails that fall outside of those two data management systems.
    ...In fact I did it today at the Port of Seattle, twice.

A "smartphone" needs the ability to pull email over 30 days old.....
    ...To attempt to offer apologetics otherwise is, as they say, GONG SHOW.
    A smart phone has the ability to access ancient docs. Retaining ancient email is counter productive, storage intensive, and not cost efficient. At the year old point it should be common knowledge or retained as a shared doc for the good of all. Of course users sometimes have to be dragged kicking and screaming into more efficient forms of working.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-30-13 01:21 AM
    I thought this was a huge issue as well but having had my device since Jan 30th, I've yet to come across a point in time in which I needed to make use of anything beyond the allowed limit. I'm sure it will come eventually but as of now, it hasn't been an issue.
    I won't be buying any of this company's IPO. You rely on an email server for historical documentation?
    03-30-13 01:31 AM
    A smart phone has the ability to access ancient docs. Retaining ancient email is counter productive, storage intensive, and not cost efficient. At the year old point it should be common knowledge or retained as a shared doc for the good of all. Of course users sometimes have to be dragged kicking and screaming into more efficient forms of working.
    I can't say I've pulled email off my phone that's a year old....
    ...I sure as **** have pulled email off my phone that's 2 or three months old.
    ...The majority of 'business' users will not agree with you in this.

Given that other devices have zero issues with this specific matter...
    ...This apologetic you're offering is sounding very similar to the 9900 camera apologetic.
    ...i.e. if you want to take good pictures make sure you take your DSLR with you.

I can see what you're saying mkelley and to a point I agree with you on data management.....
    ...But for Blackberry to think at this stage in their game they can dictate what customers need.
    ...While at the same time failing to deliver the minimum of other platforms - is either stupid.
    ...Or shows they are in way over their head.
    03-30-13 01:44 AM
    I can't say I've pulled email off my phone that's a year old....
    ...I sure as **** have pulled email off my phone that's 2 or three months old.
    ...The majority of 'business' users will not agree with you in this.

Given that other devices have zero issues with this specific matter...
    ...This apologetic you're offering is sounding very similar to the 9900 camera apologetic.
    ...i.e. if you want to take good pictures make sure you take your DSLR with you.

I can see what you're saying mkelley and to a point I agree with you on data management.....
    ...But for Blackberry to think at this stage in their game they can dictate what customers need.
    ...While at the same time failing to deliver the minimum of other platforms - is either stupid.
    ...Or shows they are in way over their head.
    I am attempting to wrap my mind around this but I deal with emails as they come in. I place the pertinent information where it needs to be. I deal with bills and postal mail the same way. It's just the way I'm programmed I guess. Going back to a three month old email is like going back to a three month old stock quote in my eyes. I understand others have different methods. Maybe that's just my disconnect on this issue.
    03-30-13 01:50 AM

The problem here is not having the OPTION. If YOU feel that "If an email is 4 days old it's old news to me." that's fine. But every user does not share that opinion. Why not give the user the option to set their preference? Especially when users have grown accustom to the way it has been on their previous BB devices.
    03-30-13 01:59 AM
    mkelley65 is right in that it makes sense to save 'documents' contained in email....
    ...But I've always done this - this isn't what concerns me.

Often times the text in the email itself is a "document", such as terms for a lease...
    ...Something that was agreed to over a month ago and you sign a contract tomorrow.
    ...And you've just discovered you've been told something alien to what you previously agreed with.

Or something not work related like a nice email from your wife....
    ...And when you are feeling down and out you read it because it's important to "you".
    ....I can admit that I've done this ( and would hope to continue to do it ), on a new Q10.
    ....If BBRY can't deliver this by the Q10 release I will not buy it.

I have a friend who works for a big law firm downtown and they have OS 6 BB's.....
    ...I will ask him to ask his I.T. dept and see what they say about this.
    ...My guess is that they would say the same thing as the O.P.'s firm said.
    h20work and JeepBB like this.
    03-30-13 02:08 AM
  23. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    i love the4 Z10!!!.... but i want my emails to remain on the device until i delete them!! like the old bb's...!!! .... hope Blackberry fixes this!
    03-30-13 02:09 AM
    Soon to be changed by BlackBerry. You told them that?
    03-30-13 02:09 AM
    Soon to be changed by BlackBerry. You told them that?
    Didn't you hear? Saying the words 'soon' and 'Blackberry' in the same post, let alone the same sentence is now a bannable offence.

At least you didn't say 'just sayin'. You might only be gone for a week.
    03-30-13 02:14 AM
419 ... 23456 ...