My bbz10 uses ordinary Internet service.. unlike other BlackBerry devices which need special BlackBerry services... is that safe to use bbz10 without BlackBerry service?
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 03:12 AM
    BlackBerry 10 doesn't need bis just using regular data plan

Posted via CB10
    redsaph and grbrao like this.
    04-28-14 03:33 AM
    It isn't safe anymore.

Posted via Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2947
    04-28-14 03:43 AM
    Is that as safe as bis?
    Thanks @ usman
    04-28-14 03:44 AM
    The only thing you want secured on your BlackBerry is by using BES or BIS (which is only available for bbos).

Otherwise, bb10 on data is just as secure as any android or Ios phones. Means, it's not secure anymore.

Posted via Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2947
    grbrao likes this.
    04-28-14 03:58 AM
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't BB10 still go through the Blackberry servers? I assume that the security would be the same...
    grbrao likes this.
    04-28-14 04:26 AM
    OP> Pls. define what you mean by safe?

You need to understand what BIS did for your old device and compare it to whatever protocols are in use today on the phone.
    It is not a Yes/No answer.

By using BIS you gained two things: Compression and encryption of trafic between *your device and the BlackBerry Infrastructure (BBI)*. Data in transit are exchanged via the SRP (Service Relay Protocol) which is a proprietary, closed source protocol. BlackBerry was very clever in not promoting BIS as a secure solution in the same way as BES, but gained a lot of goodwill from the perception of "BlackBerry is secure".

Looking at the trafic from the BBI to e.g. your mail server, normal mail protocols were used (including encryption). The same trafik is used today directly from your device to your mail server.

There used to exists a security document for BIS, but it is no longer available:
    BlackBerry Internet Service - Manuals and Guides

IMHO BIS was more about providing push email and compression and it did so very well.

The device it self was *probably* quite secure and BlackBerry did spend a LOT of money creating a secure OS as well as getting it certified.

Conclusion: Security is a multi layer "thing" and you have to look a all parts of the solution and see which components your usage will include and then look into them. I know - not so easy :-)
    grbrao and wolffkrieger like this.
    04-28-14 04:34 AM
    I still use BIS plans because it's more cheaper than regular plans.
    04-28-14 05:20 AM
    I think it doesn't make any difference. i was using normal internet on z10 and the blackberry symbol was flashing when accessing internet. Then i subscribed for BIS and i feel no difference, and same symbol flashes when accessing the internet. until and unless it is BES, we can use ordinary data pack on Z10..
    Thanks
    04-28-14 10:43 PM
    I think it doesn't make any difference. i was using normal internet on z10 and the blackberry symbol was flashing when accessing internet. Then i subscribed for BIS and i feel no difference, and same symbol flashes when accessing the internet. until and unless it is BES, we can use ordinary data pack on Z10..
    Thanks
    That's because you and the poster before you are NOT using BIS. Some carriers in some parts of the world are saying (lying) that they are providing "less costly" BIS for OS 10 devices due to user complaints that their beloved BIS was being taken away. OS 10 devices will not work on BIS. (Which is why you aren't seeing a difference... you weren't really using BIS to begin with.)

There was a long thread on this.
    grbrao likes this.
    04-28-14 10:53 PM
    Thank you very much for your clarification scrannel... as otacon stated, it might be true that internet passes through blackberry servers. Cause as i mentioned earlier, i see the Blackberry icon flash at the signal when ever i access internet. now what ever you said make sense, when the net is passing though blackberry server when used by bbz10, then there is no need for special package. I would rather say, BIS data services are costlier than the ordinary data service in my place. But BIS consumes lesser data and more proficient in pushing mails and data encryption.
    Thanks
    04-28-14 11:42 PM
    That's because you and the poster before you are NOT using BIS. Some carriers in some parts of the world are saying (lying) that they are providing "less costly" BIS for OS 10 devices due to user complaints that their beloved BIS was being taken away. OS 10 devices will not work on BIS. (Which is why you aren't seeing a difference... you weren't really using BIS to begin with.)

There was a long thread on this.
    Here, a BIS monthly plan costs $8 cheaper than the regular plan. $8 may sound small but in some countries, the exchange rate is high. I never notice any speed difference in a "BIS" vs a regular plan, so I go with the cheaper one.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    grbrao likes this.
    04-29-14 03:22 AM
    in our place its 15$/month for 1gb ordinary data plan. Where as i get for same 15$/month for 500mb on BIS. Its other way out.
    Thanks
    04-29-14 06:39 AM
    in our place its 15$/month for 1gb ordinary data plan. Where as i get for same 15$/month for 500mb on BIS. Its other way out.
    Thanks
    In that case, I'll certainly get the regular one.

grbrao likes this.
    04-29-14 06:44 AM
    I still use BIS plans because it's more cheaper than regular plans.
    How can u use BIS on BB10? I tried it but it didn't recognize the internet service!

Posted via Z30
    04-29-14 08:02 AM
    How can u use BIS on BB10? I tried it but it didn't recognize the internet service!

Posted via Z30
    You can't

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 08:05 AM
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't BB10 still go through the Blackberry servers? I assume that the security would be the same...
    I forgive you.
    jpvj likes this.
    04-29-14 08:23 AM

Posted via Z30
    There is a prepaid plan here which I will input a code and send to a particular number to enroll to the plan. This has been originally used by legacy BlackBerry devices here.

04-29-14 08:57 AM
    There is a prepaid plan here which I will input a code and send to a particular number to enroll to the plan. This has been originally used by legacy BlackBerry devices here.

Right... but unless it is a legacy phone it will not actually use a straight BIS plan. It cannot.
    grbrao likes this.
    04-29-14 02:28 PM
    Right... but unless it is a legacy phone it will not actually use a straight BIS plan. It cannot.
    You might be true, but as previously stated, this plan is cheaper than the regular plans offered by the carrier, that's why I prefer it more.

04-29-14 09:27 PM
    Hi all,

Before BB10 was released I had several meetings with a partner manager from BlackBerry about how BB10 devices were to be provisioned.
    He told me quite early that it was carrier dependent but so far most carriers would just allow BB10 to "auto provision" for access to the BB10 infrastructure. As we know now, this was excactly what happened for all carriers which is great. Basically all BB10 devices can connect directly to the BlackBerry infrastructure (showing the little BB symbol).

So what was BES and BIS provisioning all about?
    For legacy devices BlackBerry made a lot of money by routing all traffic through the BlackBerry Infrastructure, which amongst other things offered the BIS services (email sync/compression BBM and browsing with compression). BIS also offered *some* encryption (3DES as far as I remember).
    For enterprise customers you would need to have BES subscription which allowed your device to connect to BBI and have traffic tunneled to you internal BlackBerry Enterprise Server. From a security point of view it was a very easy installation, because the BES server just had to establish a single outbound TCP connection to the BBI. BBI then handled routing to/from the devices. I also had 7 days(?) of "memory" if a data package could not be delivered to a device (i.e. if it was out of coverage). This offloaded the BES quite a bit.

So carriers got a bit tired of making revenue sharing with BlackBerry and at the same time price/GB dropped quickly and competition from ActiveSync really made the BES solution much less attractive for regular enterprises. This is basically why BB10 now works as any other device on the market with regards to dataplands and support for Exchange Active Sync (EAS).

So unless your carrier blocks access to BlackBerry for some strange reason, you should be fine with a regular dataplan. If customer service tell you otherwise, they are probably wrong and are still referring to the old BB OS devices.

BB10 *CANNOT* use BIS in any form, so talking about a BIS subscription for BB10 makes no sense unless it is very cheap and you are happy with the included amount of data. But pls. be carefull: BB10 can consume a LOT of traffic. One reason is that BB10 browser often is not detected as a mobile browser and the web servers will serve the full desktop version of the site.
    grbrao likes this.
    04-30-14 10:56 AM

BB10 *CANNOT* use BIS in any form, so talking about a BIS subscription for BB10 makes no sense unless it is very cheap and you are happy with the included amount of data. But pls. be carefull: BB10 can consume a LOT of traffic. One reason is that BB10 browser often is not detected as a mobile browser and the web servers will serve the full desktop version of the site.
    Yes, BIS is the cheapest Internet service available in India. Cheaper than all normal data plans from all carriers, and even cheaper than broadband connection! It was just 6.6$ and I will get unlimited data along with it! Now I spend more than triple this amount but still only get 8-10gb data and that too no compression. There is no true unlimited broadband service also, so I used to rely on my previous Bold, to download stuffs and use Internet unconditionally! But now I can't do that. And am losing a lot of money cuz of this .
    Will BlackBerry ever make BIS compatible with BB10 devices?

Posted via Z30
    04-30-14 04:21 PM