My wife's Z10 has developed a problem of randomly choosing to dial/call people. It happens at times while it is sitting on the counter, undisturbed (not in a pocket of any type). In fact, it is the reason we just updated her from her extremely stable version of 10.2 which she liked and didn't want to change, to 10.3.2. This has not gotten rid of the problem. I've searched here, and on Google, and found that this is a problem for some people. What I haven't found yet is a fix. Otherwise, her phone is still great.

By the way, it is the dreaded STL100-1 version, though we have had absolutely no problems with it at all over the years, until this began happening from time to time.

Anyone know of a fix for this problem, or any ideas for us to try?

Also, someone had suggested in a forum (though it didn't solve his problem) to try turning off "Allow Gestures when Locked." Interestingly, this feature seems to have moved, or been removed on 10.3.2 (or my brain isn't working well this morning), as I can't find it in Settings/Display, where the Blackberry website says it should be.

Thanks for the help.
    02-14-17 09:46 AM
    I had a PlayBook which had developed a similar problem, that is opening apps by itself. Along with this, I was also noticing occasional battery drainings. It seems like the problem was related to the motherboard (the only logical solution I can think of). Aside from the old, hackneyed advice "wipe and reinstall OS 10" (which - may - work), there's no much you can actually do. It's almost certainly an hardware problem.
    02-15-17 02:47 AM
    My wife's Z10 has developed a problem of randomly choosing to dial/call people. It happens at times while it is sitting on the counter, undisturbed (not in a pocket of any type). In fact, it is the reason we just updated her from her extremely stable version of 10.2 which she liked and didn't want to change, to 10.3.2. This has not gotten rid of the problem. I've searched here, and on Google, and found that this is a problem for some people. What I haven't found yet is a fix. Otherwise, her phone is still great.

By the way, it is the dreaded STL100-1 version, though we have had absolutely no problems with it at all over the years, until this began happening from time to time.

Anyone know of a fix for this problem, or any ideas for us to try?

Also, someone had suggested in a forum (though it didn't solve his problem) to try turning off "Allow Gestures when Locked." Interestingly, this feature seems to have moved, or been removed on 10.3.2 (or my brain isn't working well this morning), as I can't find it in Settings/Display, where the Blackberry website says it should be.

Thanks for the help.
    Have you tried cleaning the screen?

You may also want to try leaving a touch screen testing app up for a while and see if it records any touches while you're not touching it.
    02-15-17 08:14 AM
    Aside from the old, hackneyed advice "wipe and reinstall OS 10" (which - may - work), there's no much you can actually do.
    Yeah, that was the thinking behind the autoloading of 10.3.2. When googled, there are several threads in the last four years about this same problem, both here and on other Blackberry forums, and in none of those threads that I've read, did anyone say they found an actual solution.

Thanks for jumping in.
    02-15-17 12:19 PM
    Have you tried cleaning the screen?
    Interesting suggestion. Do you mean removing it, and cleaning contacts, or cleaning the surface? She cleans the surface reasonably often, and gets it pretty clean.

You may also want to try leaving a touch screen testing app up for a while and see if it records any touches while you're not touching it.
    Great suggestion. I'll look for such app.

The biggest problem with diagnosing is, it is not a regular problem. She can go weeks without it doing it. However, last week, it happened to happen when we were both there, so we could watch it happen. She texted someone, closed the text screen, set her phone down, and in about 15 seconds, she said, "Look, it's calling someone" (me, it turns out). She quickly tried to stop the call. She then closed the call screen, set the phone down, and in about 10 or 15 seconds, said, "It's doing it again!" This time it was calling someone else. Closed the call screen, and it didn't call anyone else after that.

One of our work-arounds she's trying, is to put the phone to sleep manually when she's done using it, as opposed to letting it time out and go to sleep. It'll take time to see if this solves the symptoms, but I'd love to know what the actual problem is, and how to solve that.

Since there were several threads on this, going back to when the Z10 was new, I was hoping someone had found a solution.

Anyway, thanks for responding.
    02-15-17 12:33 PM
    I just meant cleaning the surface.
    Dirt can make a touchscreen do weird things. The Z10 was also very sensitive to any drops of water.

Sounds like this probably isn't the issue in this case though.
    02-15-17 12:49 PM
    I appreciate you throwing out ideas. We don't have any more on this end.
    02-15-17 05:31 PM
    Have you tried BBVE? There's a screen test where you have to tap all over the screen to test its responsiveness. Go to this test and don't touch the screen. See if it starts colouring the screen on its own.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-17 06:12 PM
    Extreme idea: radio/magnetic interferences. Extremely unlikely, though. I still think your mobo is broken.
    02-16-17 03:13 AM
    Extreme idea: radio/magnetic interferences. Extremely unlikely, though.
    Yeah, because it has done it when she had the Z10 in at least a couple of different places.

I still think your mobo is broken.
    Hope not. She's still really enjoying the phone.

Thanks for the input.
    02-17-17 10:25 AM