Hey all,

I have been having a real headache of a problem as of late in regards to my music library and phantom music files appearing and not playing. The long and short of it is, I properly load my entire music library onto my Z10's microSD card and all is well. I have had this happen before where duplicate music files appear and after trying to delete the problem songs, 1 copy of it is still left and cannot be deleted. When trying to play it, I get the following error:

The file can't be played due to an unexpected error. (1)
    I have even formatted the entire card and those files still appear and cannot be deleted. These files (when the card is wiped) do not show up in BlackBerry Link, Windows Explorer, or any other file management system I have used to explore the card; they only appear in the music folder of my Z10.

I have tried a multitude of things to solve the problem that did not work which include:

1. Battery pull and restarted.
    2. Reformatted the entire microSD card using the internal Z10 wipe and format buttons under the Storage and Access area.
    3. Reformatted the entire microSD card using 3 external wiping programs as well as Windows 7's built in format setting.
    4. After each reformat I restart the phone and use it for a period of 1 day before reinserting the SD so as to update any internal libraries that may be caching anything.
    5. Uninstalling and reinstalling BlackBerry Link to ensure clean transfers.
    6. Manually creating folders for each artist and manually moving over MP3 files to the SD card via Windows explorer.
    7. Gone through and manually edited all MP3 names and tags to ensure there were no odd characters/errors.

I am really scratching my head here. As noted in this thread the OP thought the music cache must be stored internally and not on the SD card. Is there anyway to wipe/refresh this cache?

Short of doing a complete phone wipe (which I do not want to do), I really do not think there is much left I can do. Any thoughts?

(For my phone's OS and microSD card specifics please see my signature.)
    07-25-13 05:33 PM
    I had the same problem. What I did to kind of fix it was to not use link anymore as it is link that is putting those phantom songs. Just format card and out the songs through either USB mass storage or another way but do NOT use link. Also do not forget to go to yiur settings and turn off the setting that has to do with link. I think it says auto sync or auto update or auto connect.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 06:11 PM
    I had the same problem. What I did to kind of fix it was to not use link anymore as it is link that is putting those phantom songs. Just format card and out the songs through either USB mass storage or another way but do NOT use link. Also do not forget to go to yiur settings and turn off the setting that has to do with link. I think it says auto sync or auto update or auto connect.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the reply! I gave that a shot once here already by manually adding in each MP3 to their respective artist's folder and it was a no go. I however did not enable USB mass storage, so I suppose that is another avenue to try? Was the native music player still able to read all MP3 files correctly if you just added the MP3s in bulk and didn't put them in folders?
    07-25-13 06:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well, I can certainly confirm this has (from what I see) alleviated the phantom file issue! It re-indexed itself just now after I added all of my files and I do not see duplicates of the problem files I was having before.

The main issue now is that I now need to go (again) and create file folders for each individual artist as the functionality to skip forward to another song from that artist is now gone. Conversely, I can hit shuffle all and it will play all songs, but obviously not from that one particular artist. I suppose I could make a playlist as well too.

At any rate, thanks for the tip! That seemed to help me out. I am not sure if it was the mass storage and en masse moving of all files at once that helped, or the forced reindexing of the library, but either way, it worked!
    07-25-13 06:59 PM
    It was the move to not sync to link that fixed the issue. And no problem. So I guess now you have to neither don thing through plays lists or making folders again. But glad to have helped.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 10:42 PM
    I think I am going for a record for replying to my own thread here...but this information was too valuable not to share.

So I began thinking, why is it that BlackBerry link causes these problems but mass storage of one's MP3 files does not. I noticed that after a fresh install of BlackBerry Link it asks a user what their primary media player is, namely iTunes or Windows Media Player. It never really made much sense to me why until I had thought:

Perhaps the cached database of songs is not in the BlackBerry causing errors, but maybe Windows Media Player has a cache that is loaded onto the Z10 when a sync happens. I became suspicious of this while playing music in WMP and thought to look at the library of songs listed there. Sure enough one of the trouble songs that had been on my Z10 was there as well and would not play, saying it did not exist.

I had recently edited the tags on this file weeks earlier, but it still played fine if I doubled clicked on it to open WMP. However, in the library it was not properly updated. Hence, when the WMP library is loaded onto your Z10, that phantom file with the wrong tags will be there too.

In short, to fix this phantom file you have to delete your current cached media database and allow it to automatically refresh a new one.

For Windows 7 users, do the following (you must have admin rights to do this and must have WMP closed, you must also ensure that all BlackBerry processes in the task manager are closed; Ctrl+Alt+Delete and open task manager):

1. Click Start, type services.msc, and click on services.msc.
    2. Scroll down to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and right click on it and click Stop. Exit out of the Services window.
    3. Click Start, type Run and click on 'Run', type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.
    4. Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete on the File menu. Note: You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder, only the files ending in .wmdb
    5. Repeat steps 1 and 2 but click Start instead of stop.
    6. Open one of your MP3 files in your music folder and let them play through to allow for time (2-5 minutes depending upon the size of your library) for WMP to populate a new database of the songs in your music folder.

If you complete these steps and run BlackBerry Link again, your phantom file issue should be solved.
    07-25-13 11:58 PM
    I am reopening this can of worms as this seems to be an ongoing problem for me: I am almost OCD about my music tags and take great care to make sure all fields are filled in and correct, but every so often I miss one that I will fix on the fly but the changes don't take effect until I delete the offending file and reload it back on the sd card. The problems seems to be centered around album art work and artist/album artist details.

Specs are: Q10
    running OS 10.1.0.4780
    software release10.1.0.4200
    build 569951

short of having to completely delete files and reload them every time, is there a way to manually reindex?

PS I don't use i(crap)tunes or windows (shoot me in the head) media player I use good old winamp which has served me faithfully for 15 yrs or so (when will this be a viable option to sync music?!?!?!) so the ghost files that plagued me in the past had nothing to do with media player (which I knew had problem with creating ghost files on my pc previously and I unistalled it sharpish)

rant done-please advise.
    09-12-13 06:53 PM
    I am reopening this can of worms as this seems to be an ongoing problem for me: I am almost OCD about my music tags and take great care to make sure all fields are filled in and correct, but every so often I miss one that I will fix on the fly but the changes don't take effect until I delete the offending file and reload it back on the sd card. The problems seems to be centered around album art work and artist/album artist details.

Specs are: Q10
    running OS 10.1.0.4780
    software release10.1.0.4200
    build 569951

short of having to completely delete files and reload them every time, is there a way to manually reindex?

PS I don't use i(crap)tunes or windows (shoot me in the head) media player I use good old winamp which has served me faithfully for 15 yrs or so (when will this be a viable option to sync music?!?!?!) so the ghost files that plagued me in the past had nothing to do with media player (which I knew had problem with creating ghost files on my pc previously and I unistalled it sharpish)

rant done-please advise.
    Ah, I had a feeling this problem would occur outside of WMP/iTunes. As far as what I have gathered, it appears as though there is at least one form of a music cache somewhere on your phone, but the kicker is, I and others have yet to find it.

I am also unsure if there is a way to refresh or reindex your library once on the phone.

Sorry I could not be of much help here, but I just wanted to confirm your theory on an internal cache. Short of wiping the card or all the music files, I have yet to find a way to fix this problem if it is not PC library-related.

If you happen to stumble across a solution or have another theory, please do share.
    09-12-13 10:06 PM
    Anyone have been trying and work to play music file?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 09:59 PM