So I had the bright idea of cleaning up my music and retagging all the mp3 tags to the proper artists and titles. Now my Z10 media player is doing some funny things like showing blank songs and tripling the songs on play lists.

Does anyone know which tags the media player uses to categorize the artists and albums etc?

I've done a neat job on PC but the Z10 is reading it differently.

Music all screwed up on my Z10!-img_00001117.png

Music all screwed up on my Z10!-img_00001118.png

Fired from my Z10
    08-27-13 03:15 AM
    From what I found, it uses MP3 tags.
    At least I ran Musicbrainz Picard on my PC over all my MP3 to make sure everything is formatted the same way.

For me, it does the job. Maybe this helps you too

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 03:20 AM
    Are you using Link? If so, that's the problem. Just drag and drop your files on there and forget about using Link. The only time it messes up is when I use Link. All my files stay neat, in folders and named properly then.
    08-27-13 03:22 AM
    Are you using Link? If so, that's the problem. Just drag and drop your files on there and forget about using Link. The only time it messes up is when I use Link. All my files stay neat, in folders and named properly then.
    Do you see where the problem lies? BlackBerry needs to fix this isht if they have any prayer of trying to woo over IOS and Android users that have experience with music that syncs flawlessly.

Posted via CB10 on my Black Z10.
    08-27-13 07:44 AM
    Unfortunately Link is not yet there.

It is great when you first use link to sync your iTunes library. BUT if you make a change or delete a song in iTunes and update the phone using Link, it will only add new songs, not delete or rename, etc. (this is my experience)

For example, if you delete a song in iTunes and then sync with Link, the song will not be deleted out if the phones's music directory, it will still show up in the phone's generated "all songs" playlist.

For example, if you rename a song in iTunes and then sync with Link, it will not delete the renamed song from the phone, but put a new version of the song onto the phone which means you have two copy of the same file with different properties.

So for me when I rename or delete a file in iTunes, I use file manager to go and delete the file itself from the music directory before I sync with Link.

But if I were to do a huge retagging of all my library, I would go into the music directory on my phone(using explorer) and delete everything in that directory and then resync with Links. Links will notice that there is no songs in the directory and proceed to copy all your music over to the phone.

Hey, not the best way to do it, but only way I know to keep my huge lists of playlists.

Check out my "Facepalm" channel: C0001F676
    08-27-13 08:45 AM
    You've actually used Link to sync your iTunes library!?!?

I've simply assumed that this is a buggy part of Link because this has never worked for me. I just get a "There are no songs in your iTunes library" message. Did you do anything special? Working for anyone else?

Unfortunately Link is not yet there.

It is great when you first use link to sync your iTunes library. BUT if you make a change or delete a song in iTunes and update the phone using Link, it will only add new songs, not delete or rename, etc. (this is my experience)

For example, if you delete a song in iTunes and then sync with Link, the song will not be deleted out if the phones's music directory, it will still show up in the phone's generated "all songs" playlist.

For example, if you rename a song in iTunes and then sync with Link, it will not delete the renamed song from the phone, but put a new version of the song onto the phone which means you have two copy of the same file with different properties.

So for me when I rename or delete a file in iTunes, I use file manager to go and delete the file itself from the music directory before I sync with Link.

But if I were to do a huge retagging of all my library, I would go into the music directory on my phone(using explorer) and delete everything in that directory and then resync with Links. Links will notice that there is no songs in the directory and proceed to copy all your music over to the phone.

Hey, not the best way to do it, but only way I know to keep my huge lists of playlists.

Check out my "Facepalm" channel: C0001F676
    08-27-13 09:02 AM
    I'm NOT using Link, just plugging it into my PC and editing with ID3-Tag, what could be simpler?
    08-27-13 10:47 AM
    I'm NOT using Link, just plugging it into my PC and editing with ID3-Tag, what could be simpler?
    Just right click on the song file and then properties and edit everything there, it's simpler, and for the album art insert it in the folder of the album titled folder.jgp

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 11:07 AM
    From what I found, it uses MP3 tags.
    At least I ran Musicbrainz Picard on my PC over all my MP3 to make sure everything is formatted the same way.

For me, it does the job. Maybe this helps you too

Posted via CB10
    Which tags does it use specifically? v1 or v2 tags? Because it seems it's not reading them correctly as I have both artist and title tagged and sometimes album tagged for both tag types but some songs still show up blank! Like the 2 Chainz example up there!

Thanks I'll google Musicbrainz.
    08-27-13 11:28 AM
    Just right click on the song file and then properties and edit everything there, it's simpler, and for the album art insert it in the folder of the album titled folder.jgp

Posted via CB10
    As mentioned all files look nice and neat in windows properties. Just the Z10 doesn't see it that way. This is why I'm confused.

Fired from my Z10
    08-27-13 12:24 PM
    I gave up trying to use Link and the stock music player.

I worked around it by simply dropping the MP3 files into my Z10, sorting it like this:

Artist/Album/Song

Whereas the root directory is the artist, the second level directory is the album (many of my artists have multiple albums) and then the songs.

I then downloaded NEUTRON Music player which reads your FILE STRUCTURE and displays them as such. All my music is sorted by album name via Neutron and any change I make is as simple as hitting refresh in the app and it refreshes the album/song list.

Link & the stock music app made a complete mess of a perfectly organized iTunes music library so I felt the only way to be happy and keep myself sane was to work around it.

-Chris-
    08-27-13 01:57 PM
    I gave up trying to use Link and the stock music player.

I worked around it by simply dropping the MP3 files into my Z10, sorting it like this:

Artist/Album/Song

Whereas the root directory is the artist, the second level directory is the album (many of my artists have multiple albums) and then the songs.

I then downloaded NEUTRON Music player which reads your FILE STRUCTURE and displays them as such. All my music is sorted by album name via Neutron and any change I make is as simple as hitting refresh in the app and it refreshes the album/song list.

Link & the stock music app made a complete mess of a perfectly organized iTunes music library so I felt the only way to be happy and keep myself sane was to work around it.

-Chris-
    Man, that's terrible. I wiped out all the tags on my mp3s and manually entered them to see if this would help. Of course it didn't and I'm still getting blank songs and worse of all I'm not able to play a song more than 5-6 songs down the list. When I tap it, it plays a song high up on the list, WTF!??!

Now I'm doing a complete wipe and seeing if that will help. How can the stock music player make things so difficult? Just ready the damn tags and group them together. Seems simple enough?!?!
    08-27-13 03:29 PM
    To report back, the full wipe worked, now the music player is reading the tags properly and no more weird behaviour!
    08-27-13 04:49 PM
    HI VR6,

Can you explain me "the full wipe worked" what exactly did you do. because i am facing the same problem since a long time please help.

Regards,
    Dinu
    Pin:2AF95412
    01-28-14 11:59 AM