Does anyone have Active Sync working on the z10 using MS Exchange 2003?

Reason why I'm asking is because ours isn't working and we want to make sure that it's possible. BlackBerry says its supposed to work but obviously it isn't. Not properly anyway. Can anyone confirm that it IS working for them?

Thanks.
    02-16-13 09:15 AM
    I have an in house Exchange 2003 server running Activesync with one iOS gizmo connected, 5 android gizmos and one Z10. The rest of out gizmos are connected thru BES.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-16-13 09:19 AM
    And everything is syncing with the z10's, no problems??? Are you using BES 10 at all? We tried it with and without BES 10 and Active Sync is not working properly, it's very very slow and intermittent at best.

Could you send me some screenshots of the settings you used for Active Sync, and on the z10 device please? You can post them in this thread or PM me if you don't want them posted to the public.
    It would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    02-16-13 12:02 PM
    we also use 2003 both with bes10 and without. figured out that activesync on 2003 doesn't work well. not a blackberry fault. Exchange 2003 is end of life and old sync technology. time to upgrade. look up wikipedia activesync and you will see how it has evolved.

But it does work for us until we can take time to upgrade our servers too. another major caution...we're finding 2003 a data hog.

Sent from a non bb10 playbook.
    02-17-13 06:40 AM
    I have tested both Exchange 2003 and 2010. No Notes sync on 2003. Another issue is to make sure inherit settings is checked of on the AD user security settings. Self signed certs might also cause few hiccups, export it from server then import it in the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 07:52 AM
    That's right. Forgot yo mention the certs.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 08:01 AM
    We did get some kind of security error at one point on the z10 and clicked continue. That could be part of it.....
    Can anyone post some screenshots of their active sync settings and the settings on the z10? We do have iPads, Androids, and a PlayBook on Active Sync working well, but the z10's are giving us a hard time....there must be something different about the way they interact, ie. certificates/security settings etc....
    02-17-13 06:55 PM
    I have been working on this all day. I can get the z10 to connect and access the calendar, contacts and perform email address lookup's from the Exchange 2003. However in doing so, I break the ability to send or receive any emails on the Exchange Server. I was following some instructions on another site to get Active Sync working. Here are the instructions:

Open IIS Manager on the Exchange Server
    Right click on the "Exchange" virtual directory and selected "Properties".
    Click on the "Directory Security" tab.
    Click on the "Edit" button under "Secure communications"
    De-select (disable) "Required secure channel (SSL)" and "Require 128-bit encryption".
    Click on the "OK" button, until all the dialog boxes close.
    Open a command prompt and type "iisreset".

Note: I also had to enable "Required secure channel (SSL)" and "Require 128-bit encryption" on the "Public" and "Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync" virtual directories.

Again, this allows the z10 to access the clients email account and perform lookup's, but it breaks email delivery (or at least it did for me). I tried a suggestion from a YouTube video to get ActiveSync working with iPhones. It said to export the Exchange virtual directory to an XML file and then create a duplicate virtual directory (with name change) and make the required minor changes. It still broke the email delivery.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by cgrace70; 02-18-13 at 09:05 PM.
    02-18-13 01:44 PM
    Sounds exactly what is happening to us. Email was working well on mine for a while but all of a sudden it stopped working. ie. email delivery broke. Now it makes more sense as to how it broke, but not why it broke......
    02-18-13 08:59 PM
    I have a call in to support. I will see what they come up with. All things point to the Exchange 2003 server, but I can't be the only one having this issue.
    02-18-13 09:07 PM
    And everything is syncing with the z10's, no problems??? Are you using BES 10 at all? We tried it with and without BES 10 and Active Sync is not working properly, it's very very slow and intermittent at best.

Could you send me some screenshots of the settings you used for Active Sync, and on the z10 device please? You can post them in this thread or PM me if you don't want them posted to the public.
    It would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Let me know specifically which screen shots you need and I can get them for you. I didn't setup the server but I have enough tech knowledge to navigate to what you are looking for.

Attached is my setup screen from my Z10 ...

MS Exchange 2003 with Active Sync-img_00000077.jpg
    02-19-13 01:35 PM
    Thanks for the screens!

I believe we have it working now. We are NOT using BES 10, just Active Sync right now.
    02-19-13 04:09 PM
    I found the solution to my problem on my own. I had found a lot of documents online that were saying the same thing about how to configure the IIS in Exchange 2003. However, when I found Microsoft knowledge base article KB817379, it had additional information that the others did not contain. Under "Method 2" in the "Resolution" heading, there is a section called "Configure the virtual directory". Steps 5 - 7 were missing from the other documents. When I included these steps the whole thing came together.
    02-20-13 08:11 PM
    I had all of the above done but still didnt work. I used microsoft active sync analyzer and found the issue. All working now.
    04-16-13 11:24 AM