A user recently posted that their Z10 screen cracked and became unusable. This totally sucks , and one can empathize with this person as their brand new Z10 is bricked.

However, out of this discussion came some misinformation about the Z10's screen versus screens on competing devices like the iPhone 5. The misinformation was that on the iPhone 5, the screen and the LCD are separate units. This supposedly allows one to replace JUST REPLACE THE BROKEN GLASS without needing to replace the more expensive hardware underneath.

People went as far as to say that the Z10 was "cheap" because it didn't use the "better" system of separating the glass from the LCD.

WRONG.

According to iFixit :

iPhone 5 Teardown - Page 5 - iFixit
    The front glass, digitizer, and LCD are all one component, thereby increasing cost of repair.
    Also, check out this warning from ebay's Buyer's Guides

WARNING- DO NOT BUY iPHONE 5 DIGITIZER OR LCD SEPARATE!
    BEWARE!!! There are many sellers who knowingly sell just the iPhone 5 Digitizer Glass Screen, or just the iPhone 5 LCD. Do not fall victim to these sellers; you will be wasting, your time and money. In order to properly replace the digitizer or lcd (or both), you will need the iPhone 5 LCD Digitizer Assembly. This is one "plug-and-play" part in which the LCD and Digitizer come already fused during manufacturing.
    So why is the glass not separate from the LCD? Well, the site iphoneglass.org explains it as follows:

iPhone 5 Glass Screens
    Apple has also used in-cell display technology in iPhone 5. The technology integrates touch sensors into the LCD, which eliminates the need of a separate touch screen layer. The absence of a separate touch screen layer not only helps to make the screen thinner, but it also improves the quality of displayed images. Colors get a boost, too, with color saturation that’s 44 percent greater than before.
    While the Z10 does not use exactly the same screen tech as the iPhone 5, the point is this: Modern phones DO NOT have a glass screen separate from the LCD, and the reason for this is to create a better experience for the user. While it makes the screen more expensive to replace, the industry and consumers have decided that "lighter + thinner + brighter = worth it".
    05-07-13 01:00 PM
    That's exactly right, was just talking with someone about him trying to change the touch screen on his I phone and he thought that they were separate and they arent.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 01:13 PM
    The only reason why iPhones are cheaper to repair is that there is more supply of repair services and repair materials. I did not know that the 5 uses the same basic technology though. Thank you!
    05-07-13 02:06 PM
    Hopefully this thread sees more light. More people need to become less ignorant of the facts
    05-07-13 03:56 PM
    The only reason why iPhones are cheaper to repair is that there is more supply of repair services and repair materials. I did not know that the 5 uses the same basic technology though. Thank you!
    I think it's because the iPhone is made in China. BlackBerry factories in Mexico/Canada don't seem to approach Foxconn levels of dystopia.
    05-07-13 04:02 PM
    There is one significant difference in the technology though. Apple uses in-cell touch which mates the touch sensor with the LCD layer and then has a cover glass fused over it.

BlackBerry with the Z10 used Touch in-lens which mates the touch sensor with the glass cover that is fused to the LCD. This results in the phone being inoperable if that glass cover is damaged where as with in-cell it can function with a damaged glass cover.

The reason for this? Apple has the patent on in-cell touch.

BlackBerry had no other option if they needed that thickness saving. In-cell and on-lens trim almost half a mm from a devices display unit which could have been required in engineering to get the body they want. There's absolutely nothing wrong with BlackBerry's implementation and it is likely to become industry standard. Just stop dropping your damn phones people.
    lsf222, EchoesFX, GSM-S and 1 others like this.
    05-07-13 04:05 PM
    I guess people are complaining why BlackBerry didn't make the lcd something like gorilla glass.

Is the screen of our BlackBerry scratch resistant?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 04:30 PM
    I guess people are complaining why BlackBerry didn't make the lcd something like gorilla glass.

Posted via CB10
    From what I have seen on YouTube videos. Yes it is scratch resistant.
    05-07-13 04:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's scratch resistant, as most glass is (by its very nature), until it cones in contact with something that is as hard or harder than it. One example is a little piece of quartz, which is commonly found in sand, which is commonly found in lint, which is commonly found in pants pickets.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 04:49 PM
    05-07-13 04:56 PM
    $179.99
    SDTRMG likes this.
    05-07-13 05:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    It is gorilla glass pretty sure

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 05:31 PM
    one bonus of the Z10 is that its easy to dissemble and repair compared to the Iphone. i saw a video of someone taking apart a Z10, and it was fairly easy. Requires removing screws, then removing the mother board, and a few other components, as well as the LCD screen. Just remember where all the screws go, and the order which you put back the components. Most important of all make sure you wear an anti static wrist band, that's properly grounded.
    05-07-13 06:03 PM
    $179.99
    05-07-13 06:48 PM

What he said
    05-07-13 08:14 PM
    It is gorilla glass pretty sure

Posted via CB10
    Z10 screen is NOT Gorilla Glass.
    05-07-13 10:06 PM
    Got it, so since the iphone 5 screen is bonded to the digitizer and both need replaced, that makes it Ok for bb to be just as fragile. Makes perfect sense to me

Guess you missed out on all the plastic screen debates on the 9850/9860's. Might be easier to scratch, but a heck of a lot more durable.
    05-07-13 10:14 PM
    one bonus of the Z10 is that its easy to dissemble and repair compared to the Iphone. i saw a video of someone taking apart a Z10, and it was fairly easy. Requires removing screws, then removing the mother board, and a few other components, as well as the LCD screen. Just remember where all the screws go, and the order which you put back the components. Most important of all make sure you wear an anti static wrist band, that's properly grounded.
    I found the iPhone 4 easy to repair. I haven't seen the Z10 tear down, but the way you describe seems to be the same thing except you have to unclip the battery in the iPhone. Reassembling on the 4 is generally all about remembering where all the screws go.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 10:14 PM
    The iPhone 5 is extremely easy to repair. It scored a 7 on iFixit.
    05-07-13 10:59 PM
    Got it, so since the iphone 5 screen is bonded to the digitizer and both need replaced, that makes it Ok for bb to be just as fragile. Makes perfect sense to me

Guess you missed out on all the plastic screen debates on the 9850/9860's. Might be easier to scratch, but a heck of a lot more durable.
    There goes your illogical logic again. Not even worth correcting.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 02:08 AM
    Let me say something to those asking about Z10 using Gorilla glass..
    Gorilla glass is just a branding people.. it is a brand of hardened glass variety from the glass maker Corning. They are so good in marketing that people associated hardened glass = gorilla glass, just like people call their vacuum cleaner a Hoover.. while actually what they have is another brand of vacuum cleaner. Same goes with this case, this hardened, scratch-resistant glass is not only made by Corning alone, there are other company who also make the same type of glass.
    Apple iPhone doesn't even advertise their screen as Gorilla glass, as maybe they have several suppliers of hardened glass supplying glass for them (just like sharp, lg, and samsung has been supplying them lcd panels). Or there is a possibility that iPhone doesn't use Gorilla glass at all, since it is also not included in Corning list of device that is using Gorilla glass.
    As of scratch resistance. Gorilla Glass has mohs scale of 7, so anything harder than mohs 7 material can scratch the glass. (some claims it has the hardness scale of mohs 9, which is on par with sapphire crystal, but the truth is, it is not. In fact, at CES 2013, they are not developing sapphire crystal glass for smartphones.. when that happen, then we will have the true scratch resistant smartphone display)
    I say scratch resistant because it is also possible to scratch a saphhire. Sapphire is the second hardest mineral after diamond.. so diamond can still scratch it, although i think it will be rare for people to put their phones in the pocket together with some loose diamonds..
    So the conclusion,
    1. Gorilla glass is a brand of hardened glass, which the glass is much harder, but not impossible, to break
    2. Gorilla glass can be scratched by any material harder than mohs 7 scale (if you don't believe me just google for "scratched Gorilla glass".. typical steel keys, knives, nails etc has mohs scale of 4-5, which is why they can't scratch the screen.. but some of that tool is made using hardened steel, which is rated at mohs scale of 7.5-8, so be careful when testing your screen by deliberately scratch it with steel tools)
    3. Corning is not the only company making hardened glass, there are other company making similar type of hardened glass, in which Apple and Blackberry might have used.
    4. If you want a trully scratch-resistant screen, then wait for sapphire glass screen to be used in smartphones.
    5. If you can wait, then go get Vertu Ti. It has sapphire glass screen, but then it is also very expensive.
    iNeoEon, Masahiro, xBURK and 1 others like this.
    05-08-13 04:32 AM
    05-08-13 04:56 AM
    It's scratch resistant, as most glass is (by its very nature), until it cones in contact with something that is as hard or harder than it. One example is a little piece of quartz, which is commonly found in sand, which is commonly found in lint, which is commonly found in pants pickets.

Posted via CB10
    That's why I got rid of all my white picket pants. I much prefer the picketless look though the added safety for my Z is a nice bonus

Posted...Up
    05-08-13 05:13 AM
    The iPhone 5 is extremely easy to repair. It scored a 7 on iFixit.
    Z10 got an 8/10

BlackBerry Z10 rates high on repairability, iFixit says | Mobile - CNET News
    "The BlackBerry Z10 is proof that smartphones can be thin, easily-repairable, and have replaceable batteries," the firm said.
    05-08-13 09:32 AM
    Ah so our z10 are made of hardened glass, like gorilla glass

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 01:44 AM
39 12