Hi folks

I updated my Z10 to 10.2.0.424 over a week ago. Everything worked fine since then, no problems at all.

Then, suddenly, this morning when I turned my phone on I got a message saying that my media card was encrypted on a different device and I need to reformat it to use it in this device. I thought this must be a random error so I did a battery pull - same thing. When I connect the device to BB Link I can see my photos and content but only reference - i.e. lists and/or thumbnails. Nothing will open.

The media card has never been out of the exact same handset since I bought it. I notice there are some other comments in other threads with users saying that same thing. Has anyone else had this problem? Fortunately I took a full backup before I did my software update so I have (fortunately) not lost anything. However I am reluctant now to start using the memory card again in case this is a recurrent software fault.

Any ideas anyone?
    11-04-13 07:51 AM
    Not very experienced with media card encryption on the Z10 - but I believe you need to decrypt before doing a software update, and then re-encrypt once it's done, otherwise the OS won't recognize the info on the card (I could be mistaken).
    11-04-13 09:19 AM
    The same issue just started up for me yesterday. Unfortunately for me I did not back up the photos from the card. Any solutions?
    11-04-13 10:38 AM
    Just to update, I contacted Blackberry support on Twitter and they weren't much help yet - all they said is "did I use the card in a different handset before the Z10". I have advised them that the card was bought specifically for my Z10, was formatted and encrypted therein and has never been out of the handset. Also told them that the card was working fine for over a week after the software update with no problems. Still waiting on them to get back to me.
    11-05-13 07:25 AM
    I'm having the same problem, after the update everything worked fine for a week or so and now this issue. My memory card was bought specifically for my Z10 as well. Look forward to hearing what they have to say. If I find out anything as well I'll post.

Posted via CB10
    Jermanicus likes this.
    11-05-13 09:18 AM
    Not very experienced with media card encryption on the Z10 - but I believe you need to decrypt before doing a software update, and then re-encrypt once it's done, otherwise the OS won't recognize the info on the card (I could be mistaken).
    If that is so, there need to be STRONG WARNINGS that decryption is necessary. That could take HOURS if the card is full.
    11-05-13 10:50 AM
    Still no further with Blackberry support. They have said: "Please review this article on encryption is enabled for a media card: KB25484-Expectations when encryption is enabled for a media card in a BlackBerry smartphone Let us know if this helps." I have had to tell them (again) that I have never had this media card out of the handset and it worked perfectly well for one week following a handset software upgrade. Will update with any further response I get...
    11-07-13 07:51 AM
    Still no further on with this. Blackberry Support have now stopped answering my emails and tweets on the subject. Seriously unimpressed. Almost as if they are saying "our standard replies don't work, let's just ignore the customer and hope he gives up."

Reminds me of my broadband supplier: whatever fault you are phoning with, their decision tree seems to be "Has customer switched router off and on again? NO - tell customer to switch router on and off again. YES - ignore customer, or repeat step 1"
    11-10-13 04:49 AM
    I'm having the same problem on q10. Encrypted 64 gb SD card formatted on phone with 10.1 (encryption enforced through bes policy). Phone now on version 10.2.0.424. Never taken SD card it out of my phone. Received the error message after a reboot and now I can't play any of my music, videos or open pictures. Thumbnails all work fine, the pictures will actually fully display briefly before disappearing upon opening.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 12:42 PM
    Its due to the update of the OS mine did the same but straight after the reboot - it then proudly proclaimed that it had "fixed" the encryption media problem. WTF? no can it, no informing of problem simply .....Done! now I have numerous Apps not working!
    11-20-13 11:29 AM
    I'm in the same boat. Anyone have a solution yet? google is telling me nothing...
    11-23-13 02:20 PM
    This really sux. I've tried pulling it off usb, off link, tried via bluetooth (couldn't get that working, I think that only goes one way pc->bb), nothing.

I'm not sure if this will work, but the next avenue will be to try to pull the previous seed key from a previous backup I have (using 3rd party BlackBerry Extractor or something), and then try to decrypt it that way. I'm not really good at crypto stuff, so not even sure this will work. If anyone else has any other ideas, please post.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 06:53 PM
    I'm trying the Elcomsoft Phone Password Breaker, it says it can decrypt the SD card but my .mkf file is not being read. Grrrrr

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 02:44 AM
    I'm getting really honked off with Blackberry support on Twitter regarding this. I have to constantly harangue them to get any reply. Their latest is that I should contact my mobile company. I told them that it is NOTHING to do with them! They said that they need me to go through my mobile company so they can collect the logs... I mean, seriously? WTF?? Anyone else having any joy?
    11-25-13 07:37 AM
    Same issue just happened to me regarding encryption error but not via update.

Wasn't getting alerts on Z10 so rebooted. Got prompt on reboot media card encrypted on another device and now lost everything on media card.

Media card has never been removed and had device since release. Updated over 2 months ago.

Anyone find a solution to this?

Think this could be final straw for me to ditch and switch

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 11:12 AM